IGNORED

Maxwells at the *symphony!*

Marian the Librarian

29 minutes ago, sparkles said:

I've seen a lot of pricey kitchen equipment in some of their photos—a Vitamix, an Assistent mixer, a grain mill among others—so I hope it's not all just for show. I think they used to bake their own bread but who knows…

I'm guessing the Vitamix is to make bland, tasteless smoothies (or, if anyone remembers Helga's mom on Hey Arnold, "smoothies"). But considering that they think throwing salad ingredients in a casserole dish and then slathering a two inch thick glob of Miracle Whip on top a cooking endeavor not unlike preparing a state dinner, I doubt they bake their own bread.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

I'm guessing the Vitamix is to make bland, tasteless smoothies (or, if anyone remembers Helga's mom on Hey Arnold, "smoothies"). But considering that they think throwing salad ingredients in a casserole dish and then slathering a two inch thick glob of Miracle Whip on top a cooking endeavor not unlike preparing a state dinner, I doubt they bake their own bread.

I just did a quick search for "bread" on the blog and my memory is correct. They actually DO (or did) bake their own bread and make tortillas and whatnot. They have a Nutrimill for grinding grain and the Assistent (not a typo) mixer can handle much larger quantities of dough than a Kitchen Aid can. I know they also once posted a photo of a hot chili harvest from a garden  they had and said they like their food spicy.

Why they (and so many other fundies who yammer on endlessly about the importance of training girls for homekeeping) only post photos and recipes of bland, semi-homemade glop is a mystery to me.

Terri definitely used to bake all the house's bread, and she did mention the grain mill a few times in Corners.   But this being the Maxwells they even turned bread making into a creepy atonement project-she used to punish the kids by making them eat bread crusts from the homemade loaves.   She had linked repentance to dried bread crusts in some Biblical verse.  

Best and easiest salad dressing, IMHO? Olive oil, and Marukan seasoned rice vinegar. Easy-peasy! I wonder how it would taste atop the seven layers of Maxhell??

51 minutes ago, Marian the Librarian said:

Best and easiest salad dressing, IMHO? Olive oil, and Marukan seasoned rice vinegar. Easy-peasy! I wonder how it would taste atop the seven layers of Maxhell??

They ruined 7-layer salad! Figures. 

IMNTBHO, nearly half the joy of the dish is assembling it in a taller, clear glass bowl so the layers are visible.  As some say, food should be beautiful as well as tasty.  But apparently Steve doesn't say so, and thus: 7-layer salad that looks like a cake for an office potluck  *snerk!*

I did love how a couple of fans contested PS's advice for mothers of littles not to try this at home.  What type of homemade cooking is less labor-intensive than this?

And how much of the HV seasoning in bulk equals "2 small packets"?  Details, PS & Terifying!  You know what's in the Details! 

I looked up 7 layer salad and saw somelovely looking ones.  One gave the tip of piling the bacon and other "thinner" layers around the edge of the bowl and filling up the middle with extra lettuce if necessary to give a good visual effect, since it will all be mixed when it is served anyway.

Still not my cup of tea, but if you are going to blog about a recipe there should be something special about your version, IMO.

9 minutes ago, WonderingInWA said:

I was almost on board with that salad until they put the frosting on the top.  That just made my stomach hurt.

Yes, this!  The mayowhip looks like a pie lid to me, spoling the actual salad contents.

I get the impression the Maxwells live such controlled that when they let loose, they go overboard like small children do when they first get hold.of a squeezy ketchup bottle.  They have no apparent self-regulation skills, other than blind obedience

Not gonna lie, all of this talk of seven layer salad has stirred up childhood memories and made me want one bad. So I was talking to my Mom on the phone yesterday and I requested that she make a seven layer salad when I'm home for Christmas. Her response was "Seven Layer Salad!? That's not Christmas Food!" She further refused to make one because she will be using her trifle dish for a dessert. So I told her, just make one and put it in a casserole dish! She was horrified at the idea of putting seven layer salad in a flat old dish because, "that's ugly!" She had no idea why I was so amused by this response.

I'm still stuck on why this can't be done with "littles." This baffles me. Granted, I'm a nanny, not a full time parent, however, with two one year olds, I'm able to prepare much more elaborate meals for myself, while making fancy baby food. And I know, this is difficult to imagine, but I can actually closely supervise and entertain two babies at the same time (without locking them in a playpen OR smacking them if they get curious about something *gasp*)! Can you believe it? Of course, Erika Shupe wouldn't agree with not using objects for their intended use, but get some spatulas and Tupperware on the floor and the babies are happy for a good half hour! 

If you really want to get crazy, you can lift the kids up and show them what you're doing! They can actually LEARN while you get things done! It's like a fucking miracle! 

2 minutes ago, iweartanktops6 said:

I'm still stuck on why this can't be done with "littles." This baffles me. Granted, I'm a nanny, not a full time parent, however, with two one year olds, I'm able to prepare much more elaborate meals for myself, while making fancy baby food. And I know, this is difficult to imagine, but I can actually closely supervise and entertain two babies at the same time (without locking them in a playpen OR smacking them if they get curious about something *gasp*)! Can you believe it? Of course, Erika Shupe wouldn't agree with not using objects for their intended use, but get some spatulas and Tupperware on the floor and the babies are happy for a good half hour! 

If you really want to get crazy, you can lift the kids up and show them what you're doing! They can actually LEARN while you get things done! It's like a fucking miracle! 

Thank you!!!  My first two girls were 16 months apart, there was always something going on, someone toddling off or wet or sleepy, and I managed to not hit, imprison or bore us all to pieces.  I also managed good healthy meals for my family every day.  When, six years later I had twins, and then another one 2 years later, I had 3 in diapers, 2 kids under 10 and still found a way to not be abusive AND feed them well and entertain my family and myself.  I have no patience for these families who think spending so much time "training" these kids to stay on blankets, sit quietly, hitting them, etc when in less time and with so much better effect AND long-lasting planning you can find ways to keep those kids happy AND teach them how to behave nicely.  So sick of these abusive, neglectful asshats.

I feel like I should add that I do understand the use of playpens in some cases, for limited amounts of time. Obviously, parents need to shower, etc., I just haven't had to use them. 

No excuse for hitting though. 

Mr. Google found the coffee cake recipe for me:

Maxwell's Favorite Coffee Cake~
« on: November 09, 2006, 12:03:13 AM »

I got this one from a recipe forum I love; Titus 2

It's awesome !

3 cups bisquick
1 egg
1 package vanilla instant pudding ( small box )
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup milk
2/3 cup oil

Topping:

1 cup brown sugar
4 Tbsp. margarine
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
2 Tbsp. bisquick

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all together by hand. Spoon into a greased 9 x 13 pan.
2. Topping directions- cut  (with a pastry cutter or fork) margarine into the brown sugar, cinnamon, 2 Tbsp.bisquick mixture. When well cut up, sprinkle all over cake to edges of pan.Bake for 30 minutes.

36 minutes ago, Coconut Flan said:

Mr. Google found the coffee cake recipe for me:

Maxwell's Favorite Coffee Cake~
« on: November 09, 2006, 12:03:13 AM »

I got this one from a recipe forum I love; Titus 2

It's awesome !

3 cups bisquick
1 egg
1 package vanilla instant pudding ( small box )
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup milk
2/3 cup oil

Topping:

1 cup brown sugar
4 Tbsp. margarine
1 Tbsp. cinnamon
2 Tbsp. bisquick

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix all together by hand. Spoon into a greased 9 x 13 pan.
2. Topping directions- cut  (with a pastry cutter or fork) margarine into the brown sugar, cinnamon, 2 Tbsp.bisquick mixture. When well cut up, sprinkle all over cake to edges of pan.Bake for 30 minutes.

This would go in my "things to make when drunk/hungover as hell, too cheap to go across the street to buy Ben & Jerry's, but motivated enough to bake" file.

9 hours ago, nastyhobbitses said:

This would go in my "things to make when drunk/hungover as hell, too cheap to go across the street to buy Ben & Jerry's, but motivated enough to bake" file.

Right? Like, oops, I overdid it on the edibles and got the munchies; I can't drive to the store, so I'll throw this shit together! 

Blech 

14 hours ago, Screamapillar said:

Not gonna lie, all of this talk of seven layer salad has stirred up childhood memories and made me want one bad. So I was talking to my Mom on the phone yesterday and I requested that she make a seven layer salad when I'm home for Christmas. Her response was "Seven Layer Salad!? That's not Christmas Food!" She further refused to make one because she will be using her trifle dish for a dessert. So I told her, just make one and put it in a casserole dish! She was horrified at the idea of putting seven layer salad in a flat old dish because, "that's ugly!" She had no idea why I was so amused by this response.

Your post made me lol, especially since I wasn't familiar with 7 layer salad until I read about the Maxwells' version. After reading the blog entry, my first reaction was "that's a lettuce trifle." My second reaction was "why on earth are they serving it in that dish." :tw_lol:

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2015 at 7:07 PM, sparkles said:

Teri's depression is something they talk about readily. It's been the basis of conference presentations, Corners, blog posts and a book as well, Teri's "Sweet Journey." The tale of how Teri overcame depression thanks to Jesus is a big part of their sales pitch.

What really bugs me is that whenever Teri talks about her depression she always stresses that she refused to take medication.  I called her out for being irresponsible (medication is a lifesaver for so many people) but she never responded or admitted that I might have a point there.

If 3 kids were bad enough for you that you weren't sure you loved them (I'm not judging), then why have 5 more? It makes no sense! Don't pile on the work and responsibility to someone already struggling. 

I didn't think Steve would ever shock me, but he has.  Going to a public symphony performance and letting Mary jaunt off with a brother and his wife of less than two years?  What is he thinking?  I'm glad to see it, but wonder what has happened to him.

8 minutes ago, Manda said:

I didn't think Steve would ever shock me, but he has.  Going to a public symphony performance and letting Mary jaunt off with a brother and his wife of less than two years?  What is he thinking?  I'm glad to see it, but wonder what has happened to him.

I think what happened to him is that he realized people are onto him and rejecting his rigid philosophy. This is all damage control

47 minutes ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

If 3 kids were bad enough for you that you weren't sure you loved them (I'm not judging), then why have 5 more? It makes no sense! Don't pile on the work and responsibility to someone already struggling. 

Because Jesus.

4 minutes ago, Manda said:

Economic desperation, is my theory. His conference schtick is drying up, and he has three unmarried adult, stay-at-home daughters rattling around the house, evidence that his much-touted "courtship model" is not working. I imagine there must be grandbaby-craving fundie parents out there who look at the Maxwell daughters' failure-to-launch situation and think "ummmm.....no." Maybe, just maybe, it's dawning on Stevie that perfect mates don't just magically materialize on the doorstep.

Failure to launch has to be something that his fellow fundies have noticed.  Perhaps he had a health scare and is thinking he really should try to get at least one or two of the daughters settled in a new life.  He may realize he's missed with Sarah plus they need to keep someone home to take care of him and Terri.  If he keeps up with Kelly and Gil Bates at all that has to be giving him second thoughts.  Kelly, even though she pushed Brandon, seems to be a good matchmaker.  Doing nothing hasn't worked at all well with the daughters and I don't think the sons just sat home and prayed. 

Steve's latest "Seriously" post is entitled "Hairy Teeth." Daily Bible-reading is more important than daily tooth-brushing.

(I don't make the news, I only report it.)

10 minutes ago, Marian the Librarian said:

Steve's latest "Seriously" post is entitled "Hairy Teeth." Daily Bible-reading is more important than daily tooth-brushing.

(I don't make the news, I only report it.)

Totally going to steal your line "I don't make the news, I only report it."

Steve could have written an analogy between don't brush your teeth and not reading the bible. For example, if you don't brush your teeth they will rot, similarly if you don't read the bible daily your soul will rot. Both are required to be done daily.

My favorite part of his post, "Here’s a question for you. In light of eternity, which do you think is a more important habit— brushing your teeth or reading your Bible every day? The answer is ridiculously obvious. Reading one’s Bible every day is critical to our well-being and our future." Well Steve I don't want to go bankrupt at the dentist so I am going to brush my teeth at least twice a day. Some people can manage to do both daily. I guess you don't have that skill Steve. Maybe you should ask Terri to put it in your schedule for you; teeth brushing for 5 minutes twice a day. 

Archived