IGNORED

Maxwells at the *symphony!*

Marian the Librarian

21 hours ago, FunFunFundie said:

Well, unless there are female musicians there that are working outside the home and leaving their children alone, women conductors ordering men around, music that is so pleasurable as to create an "appetite" or "idol" in their children, etc.  Oh, and the other concert-goers!  They don't take their children swimming, ever, for fear of seeing scantily-clad women.  What if there are women there in low-cut dresses?

There certainly are female musicians in the KC Symphony who work outside the home (all the musicians in the KC Symphony work outside the home, duh) and some of them are mothers.  Oh the horror.  I hope they only listened to the parts of the music played by the men.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, VVV said:

There certainly are female musicians in the KC Symphony who work outside the home (all the musicians in the KC Symphony work outside the home, duh) and some of them are mothers.  Oh the horror.  I hope they only listened to the parts of the music played by the men.

If the newest Maxwell business venture is special filtering headphones so that they can only hear the male musicians in an orchestra, please considering suing Stevhovah for stealing your idea.

Latest post is up. The non reversal brothers and their helpmeats also went to the Missaih, so Poor Sarah posted 'selfies'. Maybe find out what 'selfies' are Sarah?

3 minutes ago, johnhugh said:

Latest post is up. The non reversal brothers and their helpmeats also went to the Missaih, so Poor Sarah posted 'selfies'. Maybe find out what 'selfies' are Sarah?

The pics she posted are selfies. :kitty-shifty:

They posted pics of the Walking through Bethleham thing. It seems Nathan and Christopher's families had to go at a different time from them because of their all important schedules. Can't change anything so everyone can go together. 

28 minutes ago, anjulibai said:

They posted pics of the Walking through Bethleham thing. It seems Nathan and Christopher's families had to go at a different time from them because of their all important schedules. Can't change anything so everyone can go together. 

These are the Maxwells you're talking about here. One cannot change anything in the schedule. Ever. 

I am envious.  Since the new performing arts center was built, I've been either broke or out of town every time I thought about going. Just the architecture is worth seeing....so good for the Maxwells.  

Hamburg-based Emporis, a building data company, has named the Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts one of the most spectacular concert halls in the world. The Kauffman and the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles were the only two from the United States that made the list.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article340898/Kauffman-Center-is-named-one-of-the-worlds-15-most-spectacular.html

Did Steve buy everyone (all the adults) a ticket to the Messiah for Christmas? Or did some leghumper donate the tickets to them? Usually not all family members would want to do the same thing. Also, this seems like a treat for the family.

Redeeming Birth: A Walk Through Bethlehem looks interesting. The igloo appears to be an oven to cook loaves of bread. Here is a description of the event, "An opportunity for the whole family to experience the Christmas Story. You are invited on an interactive walk through the city of Bethlehem at the time of Jesus' birth.  See people at work in the marketplace with busy shopkeepers and vendors everywhere (you will have the opportunity to purchase fine Christmas gifts or mementos there). Smell the fragrant scents of herbs, spices and breads.  See the potters, weavers and carpenters at work.  Visit a crowded inn and a humble stable where the King of Kings was born!  Tours will be conducted every 20 minutes."

Location: Grace Christian Fellowship Church, 7320 Quivira Road, Shawnee, KS

I am just glad that this family is getting out in the world. I hope that they made a donation to the church since the event was free.

1 hour ago, PennySycamore said:

Why is there an igloo in Bethlehem? (Third pic down in the Walking Through Bethlehem post.)

I would not be surprised to see a dinosaur in Bethlehem.  With a (cave)Hebrew boy riding it.

6 minutes ago, accountingstar said:

I am just glad that this family is getting out in the world. I hope that they made a donation to the church since the event was free.

I doubt cheapskate Steve made a donation to a church other than the Holy Church of Stevehovah

At least the non-reversal couples had the good sense to keep their kids at home, even if it meant being babysat by Teri and the aunties.

This church is 5 minutes from my house.  How disappointing that I missed my chance for a real life fundie encounter.  The church does host events in the parking lot during the warmer months and they are always well attended and from what I can tell, driving by at 35 mph, they do not in anyway resemble a Duggar wedding.

1 hour ago, accountingstar said:

This is the only time of the year that they really do, though, sadly. :(

10 hours ago, Marian the Librarian said:

Bingo!

It's SO amusing when fundies get on their classical music high horse, proving again and again just how little they know. I've witnessed several examples in my time here on FJ - Vision Forum released some sort of CD compilation of the most "Godly" classical selections; the Botkins, somewhere, (wish I could find it now) posted that they only let their precious homeschooled darlings listen to classical music that Geoff and Victoria deemed "orderly." But my all-time favorite remains Steven and Rebecca Loomis, self-appointed hymn re-writers, who once blog posted that parents should proceed with extreme caution when introducing their chilluns to the works of Aaron Copland, because (wait for it...) "he did not lead a Christ-honoring life." There's no snobbery like SOTDRT fundie snobbery...

I have known a number of fundies who think that classical music is all right and proper even if they don't listen to it themselves.   There's just this assumption.   While in college, I knew one guy at work who was so impressed that I listened to it and played it because it was not like that awful rock music.  Little did he know how so much of classical music has pretty worldly themes.   As mentioned above, Carmina Burana had raunchy lyrics and historically a lot of early church music was based on secular tunes and even had both simultaneous sacred and secular texts.   This guy's mind would have been blown at a performance of Salome where not did the soprano take off all her clothes in some performances but there was the pretty disturbing scene of her kissing the severed head of the prophet she had the hots for.  How about Jenufa, which was the story of a young woman who had a child out of wedlock.     I could go on but there is so much in classical music that is fundies are woefully unaware of.

1 hour ago, salex said:

I am envious.  Since the new performing arts center was built, I've been either broke or out of town every time I thought about going. Just the architecture is worth seeing....so good for the Maxwells.  

It's an interesting building although I think I like the façade/interior more than the exterior, which kind of reminds me of an armadillo. If he knew, Steve would probably not approve since the architect Moshe Safdie, is not only Jewish but a Syrian Jew as well. I remember Safdie's Habitat at the Montreal Expo. 

I still can't believe the Family Maxwell attended a public event open to anyone who had the price of admission. Your sheltering ain't what it used to be, Steve, and that's a GOOD thing.

On 12/6/2015, 6:49:57, gustava said:

I had the same reaction until I remembered my own experiences with community Messiahs where people of all ages are welcome.

And, it might be a bit of independent thinking on the part of Elissa and spouse.

Yeah, I second this. As a professional classical musician that has performed and conducted the messiah, we honestly don't give a fuck. I love the Messiah because it means PAYCHECK for me but usually it's a pretty informal performance, even for the most formal orchestras and choruses. No one really gets all strung out over ~~THe MEssIAH~ or anything. 

9 hours ago, MamaJunebug said:

Here's a thought: the Maxwells and "The Mikado."  Would the poor things catch ANY of the humor??

The mikado is racist af tho just saying......

11 hours ago, Marian the Librarian said:

Bingo!

It's SO amusing when fundies get on their classical music high horse, proving again and again just how little they know. I've witnessed several examples in my time here on FJ - Vision Forum released some sort of CD compilation of the most "Godly" classical selections; the Botkins, somewhere, (wish I could find it now) posted that they only let their precious homeschooled darlings listen to classical music that Geoff and Victoria deemed "orderly." But my all-time favorite remains Steven and Rebecca Loomis, self-appointed hymn re-writers, who once blog posted that parents should proceed with extreme caution when introducing their chilluns to the works of Aaron Copland, because (wait for it...) "he did not lead a Christ-honoring life." There's no snobbery like SOTDRT fundie snobbery...

LOL i saw a fundie on instagram awhile ago who was calling her baby cousin or niece or something "lil' mozart". These fundies really have no idea what they're saying, do they?? :laughing-rofl:

I wanna play some fundies some really raunchy ass classical music and watch them be like "wow what god fearing music". I think I could die after that.

They should visit the actual Bethlehem, and stop for coffee:

stars-and-bucks.jpg

(Not my picture, but I do have my own pics of it.)

But the probably couldn't handle the fact that 90% of the Christians in Bethlehem have Muslim friends. (according to a poll in 2006, according to Wikipedia)

4 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

Why is there an igloo in Bethlehem? (Third pic down in the Walking Through Bethlehem post.)

It's a dog house. Actually called a "Dogloo". As to what it is doing there I cannot say, but whoever organizes this event doesn't seem to put much emphasis on historical accuracy, regardless of what Poor Sarah thinks.

On 12/6/2015, 4:27:06, Jana814 said:

I'm surprise they went to anything like this. 

It's amazing they didn't shrivel up and fry in the outdoor light like vampires.

Wow! I am so surprised they went out to an event like this...and actually appeared to ENJOY themselves! Dare I say...they had FUN?

I am so glad for the girls that Steve softened his sheltering stance, or took a chill pill, or relented, or whatever the hell he did to allow them all to go. Those poor girls need this sort of colour in their lives.

My Christmas wish for the girls: May this just be be the first of more outings for them.

Archived