IGNORED

Maxwells at the *symphony!*

Marian the Librarian

OMG, when what to my wondering eyes should appear?? The Maxwells actually ventured forth into the big bad world of music (beyond "Trust Eeeend Obey," that is), and attended a worldly Kansas City Symphony performance of Handel's "Messiah." Joseph even had his post-performance pic taken with bass-baritone Dashon Burton, one of the four lead singers. I'm gobsmacked, I tell you, simply gobsmacked. :pearlclutching:

In other news - Sarah still doesn't write well. No Walk Through Bethlehem music this year, as "The guys' (sic) have full work loads."

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Marian the Librarian said:

OMG, when what to my wondering eyes should appear?? The Maxwells actually ventured forth into the big bad world of music (beyond "Trust Eeeend Obey," that is), and attended a worldly Kansas City Symphony performance of Handel's "Messiah." Joseph even had his post-performance pic taken with bass-baritone Dashon Burton, one of the four lead singers. I'm gobsmacked, I tell you, simply gobsmacked. :pearlclutching:

In other news - Sarah still doesn't write well. No Walk Through Bethlehem music this year, as "The guys' (sic) have full work loads."

And Steve shall reign forever and eeeeeever!

The Kansas City Symphony is fairly good, a mid-tier symphony nationally. I know one of the section cellists in the KC symphony, who incidentally is also a quite conservative guy. Funny that they went to hear the Messiah; I remember my dad taking a few of us kids to hear the Messiah when we were pretty small, but we left partway through because the soprano had a "revealing" dress.

I wonder if they've had any real musical education to speak of and could appreciate symphonic music for its intellectual value. I hope so, as music is an incredible emotional and intellectual outlet, especially for those locked into a repressive environment. Classical music had a profound impact on me, despite repeated attempts to access other types of music haha; requires some effort to enjoy and appreciate, but it could provide a means of enrichment for them, once they get past the fact that essentially all the great composers were playboys, alcoholics, addicts, or gay.

I said over at the Shelter but will repeat the sentiment here:  the Maxwell clean up better than the Duggars do.  The women were appropriately dressed.

I am actually really glad that they did something like that. Those kids basically live in a sensory deprivation chamber with nothing but the Bible and bland food. They are probably very emotionally and intellectually stunted from their very limited life.  I'm glad that they actually had a chance to experience something different and interesting for a change.  

57 minutes ago, AmazonGrace said:

They took a baby to a concert?

I was going to comment on that. I would have been giving them the side eye all night. If I am paying that much money for the symphony I do not want to deal with crying a baby. Anna Marie or Melanie could have taken care of the baby. At least it looks like they went out to eat. My local church was performing The Messiah today.

I feel sad for the girls that the boys are too busy with work this year to participate in Walk Through Bethlehem or their annual Christmas concert. What are the girls going to do with all of their free time? More cleaning? They really don't decorate for Christmas. They don't have a tree. I hope they are able to do the gingerbread village. December should be filled with joy. Maybe make cookies for the police and fire departments and go caroling again. At least ZsuZsu does a lot of activities with her children. I think I would be bored being a Maxwell.

2 hours ago, Marian the Librarian said:

Beautiful voice!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Gsji25s0nY

3 hours ago, Marian the Librarian said:

No Walk Through Bethlehem music this year, as "The guys' (sic) have full work loads."

I'm guessing the guys' workloads were maybe arranged by Steve as a punishment for John's worldliness.  Kind of like when they all had to work one time, instead of going to see the Grand Canyon as they were driving through the area.

Or he's fallen out with yet another Church and there is "No room at the Inn" for the Maxwells to perform this year. ;)

Good for them on going to the Messiah concert.  Very surprised and pleased they did that.  Maybe they will switch from bluegrass to classical.  Are they still caroling this year?

That's a very un-Maxwell thing to do, but I'm glad they did it. Shakes up their routine. 

Christmas in general must shake up their routine quite a bit, too, which is probably why Sarah likes it so much. 

I wonder if they would dare attend a jazz concert.

What if the composer was a Christian?  Probably wouldn't help :P

3 hours ago, AmazonGrace said:

They took a baby to a concert?

I had the same reaction until I remembered my own experiences with community Messiahs where people of all ages are welcome.

And, it might be a bit of independent thinking on the part of Elissa and spouse.

19 minutes ago, gustava said:

I had the same reaction until I remembered my own experiences with community Messiahs where people of all ages are welcome.

And, it might be a bit of independent thinking on the part of Elissa and spouse.

Babies in arms usually aren't such a problem as are toddlers. If Melanie sat where she could easily take the baby out if she got fussy and was prepared to latch the baby on if she got hungry, then Calia should be easy to manage.  I took my second daughter to see Return of the Jedi when she was tiny and had no problems.  Many years ago, LLL Leader Jody Nathanson completed an opera season with her baby in tow.  She wore a long cape and some ushers thought she was still pregnant.  Jody just nursed if the baby was hungry.

2 hours ago, Jana814 said:

I'm surprise they went to anything like this. 

As I recall, all of the words for Messiah come from the Bible itself, which means there wouldn't be anything objectionable by Maxwell standards.

13 minutes ago, Cleopatra7 said:

As I recall, all of the words for Messiah come from the Bible itself, which means there wouldn't be anything objectionable by Maxwell standards.

Well, unless there are female musicians there that are working outside the home and leaving their children alone, women conductors ordering men around, music that is so pleasurable as to create an "appetite" or "idol" in their children, etc.  Oh, and the other concert-goers!  They don't take their children swimming, ever, for fear of seeing scantily-clad women.  What if there are women there in low-cut dresses?

They all look nice for the concert -- especially Elissa-- except for Mary.  Her outfit looks a bit dowdy and her shirt combination is just sad.  The undershirt doesn't layer right.  Her outfit would look so much better if she had worn a collared shirt under her sweater and perhaps a patterned skirt.  I was also a bit surprised to see Sarah in a short sleeved cardigan in December.  She must have been cold because everyone else has jackets and long sleeves.  I was not surprised to see her in a headband but what can I say?  Sigh. Will she still be wearing flowered headbands when she is 60?

For those who may be wondering, we decided not to do music for Walk Through Bethlehem and our own concert

"Do music"? Gah.  Sarah really is a terrible writer. 

It is interesting that the guys are too busy.  Doing what?  Is it possible that only one or two of them (John and Nathan) are busy with their own projects so Steve just decided the rest of the family couldn't perform?  I'm a bit sorry for Sarah, Anna, and Mary because I think the Christmas concert and the Walk through Bethlehem were something special that they enjoyed doing.  This makes me think that the future looks pretty bleak for those three once John and Jesse are gone-- there will be fewer special occasions and more busy work.

I don't like Mary's outfit overall, but the close-up picture of the three girls shows that her sweater is kind of pretty. I was surprised that it is beaded, since that can draw eyes to her chest. Her hair has a pretty braid, too.

Archived