IGNORED

Real Life Fundie Encounters - Part 3

happy atheist

Last time the JWs were making the rounds in my neighborhood I asked them deadpan if they would mow my lawn. Haven't seen them since.

• Upvote 14

6 hours ago, sawasdee said:

Satan's doorknobs?:laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling:

I know!  As soon as she told me that story, I immediately thought it would make a great post count.

• Upvote 4

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 9:35 AM, lawlifelgbt said:

I'm on a little vacation on the Gulf Coast, as my parents bought a house down there. We've been getting along much better so I decided to go (also the humid air helps my skin). Last night there was a neighborhood thing with the HOA people and the long-term renters. So naturally we all went over.

I know I'm in the South right now and I don't say I'm gay where it's genuinely not safe to do so. But, that bar is pretty damn high, and I never keep quiet or lie to make people comfortable (although I may say I'm married and then only correct people when they say something about my husband).

Anyway, so I had mentioned it to a few people in the context of "I live with my wife," and such. Then this one lady in a skirt with long hair showed up. Didn't peg her as fundie until I started hearing stuff like "oh, X is such a blessing," and she was really nice actually. We got to talking about kids and I said I'd like to have them. She starts going on about homeschooling and how maybe that's best and don't you want to shelter your kids always? And maybe there was a natural remedy for my skin issues. I said, "but I don't have kids yet, just cats!"

She said, "And a husband!"

I said, "Nope, a wife."

She pointedly went to sit somewhere else. Which I suppose was better than harassing me. Oh well, at least my parents didn't tell me to not say anything so no one would gossip. Then again it's hard to hide one's wife (because if we continue to get along decently, my wife is coming back here with me in December).

I recall you posting about your parents before and I am glad to hear you are getting along better. Sounds like you are taking baby steps in the right direction. It is nice to hear.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Grimalkin said:

I recall you posting about your parents before and I am glad to hear you are getting along better. Sounds like you are taking baby steps in the right direction. It is nice to hear.

I appreciate your concern; my parents have stepped back on the direct criticism and holding money over my head, and also are treating my wife better. I just have to bring some of my own food when either or both of us visits, as my mom is a health freak and judges what I eat. Oh well. Small steps as you said.

• Upvote 6

I am now convinced my Mom has been closet binge-watching episodes of 19 KAC and the Bates family! Last night, after being stood up for a coffee date by some jackass I met online (and this comes on the heels of a date with a sex offender AND a guy who literally behaved like a first date was a commitment to provide him with a mate for life) I called my Mom who lovingly suggested that I should join a church singles group, and that it'd be a "great opportunity for some sweet fellowship with some nice men". THEN she mentioned that maybe this isn't the "season of life" to seek companionship. And with that I asked to speak to my dad who informed me that my mother hasn't attended any Fundie churches or revivals. But still no idea where on God's green acre she managed to pick up "sweet fellowship" and "season of life". Oy! 

• Upvote 21

5 hours ago, HumbleJillyMuffin said:

I am now convinced my Mom has been closet binge-watching episodes of 19 KAC and the Bates family! Last night, after being stood up for a coffee date by some jackass I met online (and this comes on the heels of a date with a sex offender AND a guy who literally behaved like a first date was a commitment to provide him with a mate for life) I called my Mom who lovingly suggested that I should join a church singles group, and that it'd be a "great opportunity for some sweet fellowship with some nice men". THEN she mentioned that maybe this isn't the "season of life" to seek companionship. And with that I asked to speak to my dad who informed me that my mother hasn't attended any Fundie churches or revivals. But still no idea where on God's green acre she managed to pick up "sweet fellowship" and "season of life". Oy! 

"Season of life" always makes me think of Rent. 525,600 children, 525,000 babies to train, 525,600 children, how do you deep-clean, deep-clean their brains?

• Upvote 14

Oh I wish you all hadn't reminded me about the JW's. It's getting to that season around here. I just cannot be rude or mean but I despise some of the things they promote and stand for.

Years ago when DS lived at home, one morning he was sitting in the living room in his underwear (we're a pretty laid back family) when the JW's came to the door. He answered the door and it was a man with his teenaged daughter. You could tell the man was flabbergasted, and couldn't get his daughter out of there fast enough. DS invited them in to discuss religion too! He just left the watchtower and got the hell out of dodge LOL.

DS underwear were not showy or revealing either. Just normal boxer briefs.

• Upvote 11

JW canvas our area as well from time to time. A few weeks back I had them at my door, an old lady (she must have been well into her 80s) and a middle aged man.  It was one of the few very cold days we had this winter. Anyway, the lady insisted to do the talking, she shushed her partner several times. But she also forgot frequently what she was supposed to say, including her partners name. It was actually funny and had it not been so cold I might have listened to her longer. But I also didn't want them in the house cause you can't get rid of them once they are inside, so I said thank but no thanks and closed the door.

• Upvote 2

I went to the farmers market last week, and stopped at the Hutterite market stall. Normally, it's the younger people who staff the booth, and they chat and joke like all the other vendors. This time it was a two old men. Neither one would look at me when I have them my order. The one collecting the money was literally twisted sideways to avoid having to look at me... I was dressed more modestly than most of the women at the market (which just my usual taste in clothes), and even had my hair twisted up. It was weird. I have never encountered that level of fundie-ish behaviour from Hutterites before. Maybe they don't like red hair?

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, Inky said:

Oh I wish you all hadn't reminded me about the JW's. It's getting to that season around here. I just cannot be rude or mean but I despise some of the things they promote and stand for.

Years ago when DS lived at home, one morning he was sitting in the living room in his underwear (we're a pretty laid back family) when the JW's came to the door. He answered the door and it was a man with his teenaged daughter. You could tell the man was flabbergasted, and couldn't get his daughter out of there fast enough. DS invited them in to discuss religion too! He just left the watchtower and got the hell out of dodge LOL.

DS underwear were not showy or revealing either. Just normal boxer briefs.

I flashed some Mormon missionaries once (ah memories!). You know, those young American ones that all wear suits with name tags whatever the weather.

It was mid summer and I was wearing a tank top. I answered the door with my daughter on my hip (she was maybe a year old). I was chatting nicely to them (because I'm fairly nice and don't just slam the door) she grabbed my strap and pulled it. All I can say is when I next looked at them they were looking skyward........

They left soon after. :my_biggrin:

• Upvote 18

I actually had an ATI encounter today. I was in a taco place eating lunch and a group of women and children came in.  Pretty much everyone had on polos and denim skirts.  They took the table next to me, and were actually kind of friendly and chatty.  I figured out they were a homeschool group, and from some of the catch phrases, I'm guessing they were ATI. However, they seemed different than many of the ATI-ers I'd met via my in-laws. It took me a few minutes to put my finger on it, but then it clicked.  These folks seemed a little more laidback than most of the ATI followers I've met, and from the way they joked around and interacted with the kids, you could tell that they had a good rapport with each other. They seemed genuinely happy together in the way that many on here remark that the seven sisters seem happy together. I'll still never be into ATI, but I was glad to see folks that seemed happy as opposed to some of what I've been exposed to with others.

• Upvote 4

I'm new to this whole fundie thing but I think my neighbor could be classified as fundie-lite. 

I live in the Tampa area in a pretty upscale trendy area, so it surprises me to see someone like this here. I can't say for sure if this couple is fundie but here is what I have observed: 

Husband works (military), she stays home, But no kids? (They are new to the area so maybe that has something to do with it) Not sure if there are many fundies in the military? 

Wife had super long hair when first arrived but it got cut to long bob recently. Seen her in a few maxi skirts but she wears lots of capris. 

She is home all day and tends to a rooftop garden. Often hear 700 Club, some Christian Washington radio program and Mark Levin through her open kitchen window. 

I NEVER see her go anywhere without her husband, although she does power walk the neighborhood on her own. 

I work from home so I often notice her when she's outside. 

She seems friendly, I'm trying to get the courage to engage in some conversation with her. 

• Upvote 2

Ok, sorry to double post. Was just outside with my dog for bedtime potty break and ran into a mutual neighbor of myself and the possibly fundie-lite couple. I asked her if she knew the couple and she said yes, she had spoken to both many times and that they were "super friendly". She said the wife is very shy but very sweet, they are in their mid 30's (that shocked me) and that she also has heard the "Jesus radio" coming from their apartment  (lol her words not mine!) She said the wife is an artist and a couponer and collects coupons from neighbors to send to overseas military bases (how sweet is that?) She also said she knows they don't have cable or internet because of "their beliefs" (she found out because of a neighborhood outage we had once). 

• Upvote 3

18 hours ago, FLgirl said:

Ok, sorry to double post. Was just outside with my dog for bedtime potty break and ran into a mutual neighbor of myself and the possibly fundie-lite couple. I asked her if she knew the couple and she said yes, she had spoken to both many times and that they were "super friendly". She said the wife is very shy but very sweet, they are in their mid 30's (that shocked me) and that she also has heard the "Jesus radio" coming from their apartment  (lol her words not mine!) She said the wife is an artist and a couponer and collects coupons from neighbors to send to overseas military bases (how sweet is that?) She also said she knows they don't have cable or internet because of "their beliefs" (she found out because of a neighborhood outage we had once). 

Most likely Air Force (MacDill AFB), which is full of fundies.

• Upvote 1

Yes that is the base, but her husband is Army. I've seen him in uniform. Saw her today and she was wearing walking capris and a bright top and Nikes, had a TON of shopping bags and her dogs. Doesn't seem to subscribe to the buy used saved the difference life, but just going off what I saw today. And they shop at Whole Foods A LOT, which sure isn't in synch with the Duggars and Aldi! 

Idk, maybe they aren't fundie but in certain ways I think maybe? 

Just discovered my neighbor's belong to  la Luz del Mundo. I always thought they were just Hispanic Pentecostals. The wife always wears long skirts and has long hair which she sometimes wears down.  The daughters don't always wear skirts or dresses, but always do when they go to church.  They have 5 kids I think, but the wife has a twin and she is over alot as well with her kids so it's difficult to get a good count.  

Everyone always points out their compound and calls it a cult, their church is this giant compound of white buildings with gold accents, looks really out of place in Houston.  They attend 2 services on Sunday, and normally at least one other service during the week.  I always feel bad for the kids because they get home so late and its always a school night.  

All of the kids are sweet and well behaved, love to play outside and are always willing to help.  They don't seem to subscribe to strict gender roles as yesterday the girls were helping me fix one of those electric kid cars.

In other news, I was informed last night that if my son lives in this house he must attend church, so off he went to Lakewood this morning. I have been conviently out of town every Sunday for the last month so that this wouldn't be an issue.

I had some Mormom missionaries come to our door a few weeks ago.  I was polite, as were they.  I told them I already knew Jesus and they went on their way.

Saturday evening I found a little card from our local IFB church left on my porch.  Letting me know that there was a place for me there.  No thanks, guys.  I'll pass on that one. 

• Upvote 2

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 2:31 AM, nastyhobbitses said:

I don't know if that's fundie, abuse, or both. Your husband may want to try to have a discreet, sympathetic chat with her about what's going on. A husband who tries to control her in her workplace is probably doing far worse things to her.

We will take that into consideration.  She works closely with Law Enforcement and is close to her woman boss who is pretty much "Take no prisoners" as far as things like abuse. We've known them both for several years and this is the first thing that made us raise our eyebrows.   

Now, it could be her version of "I can't afford it" to get out attending the meeting we were inviting her to attend (she didn't want to get up early enough to ride with a local woman who was attending)

We will look into following up, but truthfully, Texas is filled with stuff like this....

Saw my possibly fundie-lite neighbor in a long skirt, hair curled, and dreamily looking at her husband when they were outside and he was talking to her. 

And now I'm on my front steps and can hear more conservative radio coming through her window. 

:giggle:

Currently backpacking through Germany and the rest of central Europe. Went into a supermarket to browse around for a snack (guys, Germans are really, really good at bread and doughnuts and I'm going to gain a million pounds here please help). Saw a display of tampons for sale. There's a brand of tampons called Jessa. Could not muster up enough elementary German to explain to the shopkeeper why I was having a giggle fit in the hygienic products aisle.

• Upvote 16

On March 10, 2016 at 0:13 PM, GenerationCedarchip said:

A colleague I know was invited to give a presentation on advance medical directives to a group at a large pentacostal church near me. I'm familiar with the church and know that it tends fundie-lite to full-on fundie.  She didn't realize how conservative her audience would be, so she dressed as she normally would for court (skirt suit, stockings and heels). However, her suit skirt stopped just at the top of her knees. Apparently she walked in to address the group and someone there gasped out loud, pointed at her knees and stage whispered to her friend, "Oh my!  Look at what she is wearing.  THOSE look like Satan's doorknobs!"

Mortifying all around.  Also, even if someone didn't meet my personal dress code, I'd at least be polite to them and not get into the public shaming.

I thought everyone knew Satan's doorknobs are up higher. (Snerk!)

On March 15, 2016 at 6:22 PM, nastyhobbitses said:

"Season of life" always makes me think of Rent. 525,600 children, 525,000 babies to train, 525,600 children, how do you deep-clean, deep-clean their brains?

Oh my gosh, me too! I thought I was the only one!

• Upvote 9

Sometimes I think my life is one big fundie sighting. One event that sticks out, though, was at our family reunion last year. I should probably preface this: My maternal grandfather's family is fundie (originally Brethren) going way back. My g-father is one of 11 kids. Most of the family has moved away from the Brethren church and is mostly conservative Christian or fundie-lite, but my mother has a cousin who is hard-core fundie, has 8 stair-steps kids (at last count), and they homeschool, wear the awful homemade, upholstery-print, matching dresses down the line for the girls and polyester-blend dress shirts and dark trousers for the boys. My mother's cousin has little education, and feels the same will suffice for his progeny. (I don't like this man, and I'm probably past being objective.) 

Anyway, that side of the family is large and holds an annual outdoor reunion during one of the hottest periods of the summer. Last year we discussed changing the location to my aunt's church's camp, which in addition to featuring an air-conditioned building for the meal and meeting, has flush toilets (current locale has only porta-potties) and an outdoor pool. If you ask me, these are ALL pluses. 

Cousin's wife piped up and said if we moved it there they would have to boycott the reunion because the sight of all that naked flesh might cause their boys to sin. 

I nearly swallowed my tongue. First of all, most of our family is not exactly what you could call "svelte," myself included. We're good Pennsylvania-German stock and we look it.  Second, this is family. If the sight of 40-50 pale, chunky family members in Lycra gets you all het up, sweetie, you have bigger problems than lust. 

• Upvote 15

• Coconut Flan locked this topic