IGNORED

Real Life Fundie Encounters - Part 3

happy atheist

"I saw a van with eleventy kids!"

"There was a lady at the grocery store with a head covering!"

"Some patriarchal asshole told me I defrauded him!"

Part 1 is here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16844

Part 2 is here: http://www.freejinger.org/topic/20495-real-life-fundie-encountersâ„¢-part-2/?page=1

I saw a fundie family at the grocery store. They had about 10 kids. The girls all had long denim skirts. and shirts under their shirts, and were in charge of the littler kids. What made the family unusual was that the mom was breastfeeding the infant right out in the open without any sort of blanket covering her, and the toddler boy was playing with a baby doll and nobody cared. And the dad interacted with the kids.

Edited by OnceUponATime
adding tags

• happy atheist pinned this topic

I feel like we're all having a fresh start/clean slate with several of these long threads moving on to their next part.  It doesn't take a lot to get me excited.   

• Upvote 5

I feel like we're all having a fresh start/clean slate with several of these long threads moving on to their next part.  It doesn't take a lot to get me excited.   

I was super excited about it too lol

Oh god, I was homeschooled my senior year of highschool (my decision), and I'm pretty sure my tutors (husband and wife who "taught" class once a week) were fundie/fundie lite. My first day, we got into a very heated discussion about submisson and it all went downhill from there. Lots of discussions about modesty and "keeping the marriage bed pure"lmao. I purposefully wore a lot of short shorts to class. I'm 100% sure the man hated me. 

• Upvote 8

I put my son in a homeschool hybrid (secular) this year that was pretty small for acceleration purposes.  I started looking around for homeschool groups and I got an education. Some groups wanted you to sign a Statement of Faith, oh my.  Anyway,  I found an inclusive one that meets at a church near my house and since it is an enrichment kind of group there is no need for curriculum vetting. They open the activities with prayer (no problem) and the older kids are doing a play that is bible based, no problem there either.  But there are a good number of moms with passenger vans and in looking at their FB pages let God decide their family size and have 5 or 6 kids.  

Other homeschoolers I know, dont do the quiverful thing but are very conservative politically and religiously and do not like to associate with anyone that does not agree with them 100%....

My neighbor 2 doors down had a daughter my sons age and she wont ever let her kids play with other kids in the hood and in talking to hear at school functions get the idea that they would rather not associate with or have their children be friends with any other kids that have parents who dont prescribe to their brand of Christianity--Missionary Baptist...

I was hanging out with a friend on campus the other day in my most fundie-approved looks: long skirt, tights, and high necked sweater. I also have long hair and wear a ring (family heirloom) on my left ring finger. Someone approached me and asked what Church I belonged to and did I know that I need school permission to proselytize on campus. It was awkward. I really like that outfit, too.

ETA: blahh that signature.

• Upvote 11

I forgot to report this!  A few months ago, I was riding up a local canyon on my road bike, and I saw a fundie couple riding up.  I knew they were fundie because she was wearing a long prairie dress and he was wearing jeans and a button up shirt.  I was seriously impressed that they were out there in that much clothing (this was back when it was hot).  They might have been FLDS.  Maybe?

I was at the store today and saw a kidlet having a tantrum about wanting to wear his new boots... Pretty typical right? Except the little guy was Amish, the grownups with him were clearly "English" a man and woman, both in jeans, her with short, stylish hair.  And the kid had Downs, adorable little blue eyed blonde.  There are a lot of Amish and Mennonites in the area... A mennonite man teaches at hubby's school. His wife home schools their 7 kids, and the older 4 have all gone off to college. Not all fundies are nutz.

Another topic just reminded me of a weird experience. I was waiting for a train in London and a woman close by who I think was West African was talking really loudly on her mobile phone. I couldn't help but overhear and realised she was actually performing an exorcism on someone, ordering demons to leave and begging Jesus to help the person. Meanwhile a platform of commuters waited for their train home. It was quite surreal.

• Upvote 8

I have two separate sightings while shopping at the same place (Cost Plus World Market of all places..). The first was a woman and her mother, both wearing matching, long patterned skirts with white hair caps/coverings. The second was just last Saturday, when I saw a different woman with an infant in a stroller, again wearing a long patterned skirt, but I was able to see that she didn't wasn't wearing a ring. Are there any sects that don't use wedding rings?

I have two separate sightings while shopping at the same place (Cost Plus World Market of all places..). The first was a woman and her mother, both wearing matching, long patterned skirts with white hair caps/coverings. The second was just last Saturday, when I saw a different woman with an infant in a stroller, again wearing a long patterned skirt, but I was able to see that she didn't wasn't wearing a ring. Are there any sects that don't use wedding rings?

I know that holiness Pentecostals don't do wedding rings, but the hair coverings wouldn't make much sense for them?

• Upvote 1

A lot of the older couples at my conservative SDA church didn't wear wedding bands, 1 Peter 3:3 was mentioned often.

When I was in college, I worked at a local drugstore. One of my coworkers only ever wore long jean skirts, and she had long hair that she never cut. I didn't work with her much, but I knew that the skirts and the long hair were because of her religion. Of course, I had no idea what fundies were, or that they even existed. She was nice, but definitely different. I only worked very part time while I was in school, and when I did work with her, we didn't talk much. From what I remember, she moved across the states to marry someone she had met on the internet (but had yet to actually met in person). I was just inspired to do a little Facebook stalking (it helps that she had a somewhat unusual name), and she still only wears skirts, has long hair, and has plenty of "I only support traditional marriages" posts. I wish I had known about fundies back then so that I could have learned a little more about her. 

• Upvote 1

Amish and many conservative Mennonites don't wear wedding rings, because of the verse in 1 Timothy about not wearing pearls or gold.  I have also met other Christians of various stripes who take the verse in 1 Timothy literally and just don't wear any jewelry at all.

• Upvote 1

Apostolic Christians (not the Pentecostal kind) don't wear wedding rings, or any jewelry, and wear headcoverings.  They're like crocheted little doilies.  We have several friends who belong to the ACC (Apostolic Christian Church).

• Upvote 1

There's a fairly large Hasidic community near me. Every time I go to the indoor trampoline place, I see some. The other night a little girl got hurt because she was jumping in a long skirt and the dad was such an ass about it. The teenage workers brought her ice for her ankle and tried to cheer her up and the dad shooed them away and kept telling her to be quiet. Broke my heart.

Like pretty much every theatre in the country, the theatre where I work is opening a production of The Wiz.  The artistic director got a call from someone asking if there would be any "sexual innuendo, cleavage, or nudity" in the show.  Maybe not a fundie, but I can't imagine who else would be asking those questions about a family-friendly musical.  I mean, this ain't Charles Mee's Big Love . . . 

Like pretty much every theatre in the country, the theatre where I work is opening a production of The Wiz.  The artistic director got a call from someone asking if there would be any "sexual innuendo, cleavage, or nudity" in the show.  Maybe not a fundie, but I can't imagine who else would be asking those questions about a family-friendly musical.  I mean, this ain't Charles Mee's Big Love . . . 

I'm so glad I'm not that director, because my response would be "well, no, but we sure can add some in".

• Upvote 19

He said, "We'll, they aren't all wearing turtlenecks."

It makes me think of when I was in college and a friend of mine was managing the door at the big performance venue on campus--the kind of place where you would go to see Itzhak Perlman, Jerry Seinfeld, and national touring productions of musicals.  One night, a father with two little girls came up to the door and asked what was playing.  He was NOT happy when my friend answered, "The Miss Gay (University) Pageant."

• Upvote 3

I'm so glad I'm not that director, because my response would be "well, no, but we sure can add some in".

This reminds me of a friend of mine who used to come into the library where I work, peruse the video section, and ask whether we have any X-rated videos.  He was mostly teasing but perhaps partly serious.  I gave him the snappy answer, which also happened to be the truth at that time -- "no, but if you donate some then we will!"

• Upvote 8

Speaking of libraries, I went to the Christmas program at a library where my daughter used to work.  It was really for the little kids (puppet show, making an ornament and cookies) and was mercifully unJesusy-.  One of the teenage girls helping to put the show on was wearing a long denim skirt, long-sleeved top and sneakers.  She was not wearing the doubled shirt though.  I think I could see her collarbone!  My daughter said afterward that there were quite a few homeschooling families in attendance.

I've been seeing fundies at the mall lately. I usually happen to be carrying Victoria's Secret or Cheeky (lingerie store) bags and I can feel them judging me :pb_lol:

Yesterday, I saw a middle aged man carrying a cross over his shoulder in our shopping district. It was big but had a small wheel at the bottom.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lillybee said:

Yesterday, I saw a middle aged man carrying a cross over his shoulder in our shopping district. It was big but had a small wheel at the bottom.

That kinda defeats the purpose of the exercise, doesn't it?

• Upvote 16

• Coconut Flan locked this topic