IGNORED

Bates Family Part 5

happy atheist

I like to think the best of people until they give me a reason to do otherwise, so I'm a little hopeful that being a police officer will change Zach, even if just a tiny bit, for the better. I'm not holding my breath though.

This sums up my views on the fundie kids. I will not judge them because of their parents or in laws, and until these kids say or do things (and not just assumed), I don't think it's fair to vilify them.

I am not my parents, and I am certainly not my in laws. And neither are you. And neither are they.

• Replies 642
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Knowing his history, it would give me pause if Josh Duggar was pursuing a job in law enforcement.  From what I've seen of Zack so far, I think it's unfair to make a judgement about his performance as a police officer until there is evidence of him  acting like a dirty cop. He doesn't try to minister to people like Josh and Ben Seewald on his instagram or on the show. At most he and Whitney post the typical "God loves me" inspirational quotes. There is not doubt he has been raised with objectionable beliefs, but that doesn't mean he believes everything his parents taught him. I'll save my judgement for if and when he does or says something stupid. I think his biggest problem may be Gil trying to take advantage of the system because his son is a cop.

One that I will give Zach credit for and that's he has nowhere been as obnoxious as Ben or Josh.   So far, I haven't seen or heard of him going around and hitting people over the heads (figuratively speaking) with his beliefs on Instagram or other social media.   That he's gone through police training shows that he's actually done more than Josh ever did for the FRC and Ben has yet to figure out whatever he's going to do.    Police work is going to mean going into tough situations and putting himself at personal risk.   

I do think that his dad could be a problem, I have no doubt that Gill will try to take advantage of the fact that his son is a cop.   I personally know people who have thrown their weight aorund because they were related to a local policeman.  That man will become even more insufferable.

The Lily and Ellie Bates blog has been updated so that's it's like the Duggar one, each family member in age order with grandbabies next to the appropriate Bates. It's only now that I kinda see a resemblance between Isaiah and Trace, at least I think it's them. Bradley is adorable in every photo. They chose a slightly odd photo of Allie Jane, not saying anything horrible but they could've chosen a better one. (And they actually include the middle name, so it's written Allie Jane). 

I know this has likely been said before, but there really is more of a difference facially between each Bates than between the Duggars. Most of the older Duggar boys look alike, especially Josiah, Jed and Jason, and of course Hannie is pretty much the spit of Joy. (In that Duggar header Jenni really looks like Hannie too, which I hadn't noticed before). 

I was really surprised that Lawson knew the lyrics to Let It Go. I loved the little girl commenting on his performance. A little hard to hear the little girl. I assume that this is from the concert on November 29th in Turbeville, SC. Kelly posted about it on Instagram.

New Promo for New Season of Bringing Up Bates starting in January.

Baby Bradley is so adorable in the cowboy hat. The Marketing Department at Up does a much better job than TLC does for the Duggar Family. This promo was actually creative. I love the giant selfie stick. Ellen uses one on her show.

Is that Addallee at Crown College? Is she chaperoning Tori? Courtship for Tori and Joe?

On December 2, 2015 at 10:12 AM, accountingstar said:

I was really surprised that Lawson knew the lyrics to Let It Go. I loved the little girl commenting on his performance. A little hard to hear the little girl. I assume that this is from the concert on November 29th in Turbeville, SC. Kelly posted about it on Instagram.

New Promo for New Season of Bringing Up Bates starting in January.

Baby Bradley is so adorable in the cowboy hat. The Marketing Department at Up does a much better job than TLC does for the Duggar Family. This promo was actually creative. I love the giant selfie stick. Ellen uses one on her show.

Is that Addallee at Crown College? Is she chaperoning Tori? Courtship for Tori and Joe.

Clown College already has surveillance levels and morality policing that would make Kim Jong-Un go "guys, lighten up", so I don't understand why Tori would need her prepubescent sister to chaperone her at school. I know that's probably the reason why she's there, but I'm just going to imagine that Addee is a fundie child genius and is simply furthering her education.

On December 2, 2015 at 10:12 AM, accountingstar said:

Is that Addallee at Crown College? Is she chaperoning Tori? Courtship for Tori and Joe?

I thought the same thing.  Wouldn't this be from last year though?  It says Freshman orientation.

I thought the same thing.  Wouldn't this be from last year though?  It says Freshman orientation.

There were other posts under the #thecrowncollege hashtag about Mrs. Jones' selfies so I'm assuming it's recent. 

Isn't Addee the one with some hearing problems?  If so, is it possible she was there to talk about homeschooling for children with special needs/the modifications she/her mother has made to her curriculum to fit her needs?  We know Tori is doing an Education Emphasis, and if she's been involved in Addee's education, that would make an incredible project/presentation.  

Even if not, I know many "real" college courses that would invite speakers in to discuss their personal experiences if a student had a connection to someone who has a personal story that ties in with the curriculum.  It's a great way to learn.  

Devonna Killin (the young Samoan lady in the animal print scarf in the pic) posted that on Instagram one day ago: https://www.instagram.com/devonnakillin/

She's close friends with Tori and hangs with the Bates all the time--there is even a pic from 6 weeks ago of her and Anastasia Sayler at the Bates' house.

I am also confused about the freshman orientation hashtag. Devonna isn't a freshman either.

Were they asked to post old pics from back when they were freshmen?

At most places I'm familiar with, Freshman Orientation is largely done by current student volunteers.  Tori has said that she loves to be on campus socializing, so it makes sense that she would be involved with as many activities as possible.   I would suspect the photos are current and that Tori and Co are part of the Freshman Orientation  welcoming team :)

They all look so lovable in that video. It's easier to point out their flaws when I don't see them putting on a good face for the public.

At most places I'm familiar with, Freshman Orientation is largely done by current student volunteers.  Tori has said that she loves to be on campus socializing, so it makes sense that she would be involved with as many activities as possible.   I would suspect the photos are current and that Tori and Co are part of the Freshman Orientation  welcoming team :)

I can easily see Tori as part of a freshman orientation team, but not Joe.  He always seemed kind of quiet and not in love with the camera.  My guess is that Bates and Duggar students were asked to volunteer - to provide PR as well as orientation.

Brandon and Erin work, at paying jobs with the skills they obtained...Jill does nothing.

AMEN!

Oof. Hit me right in the stay at home mom place. I have a masters degree and am also "doing nothing" by staying home with my two 4 year olds. Been doing nothing for 4 years so far, for nothing, it's damn exhausting. 

I hate to defend Jill and I have no illusions that she ever planned on doing anything with her midwifery training, but her first kid isn't even a year old yet! You can't really say she's doing nothing when tons of women wouldn't even be back from mat leave yet (at least in places other than the US).

I can easily see Tori as part of a freshman orientation team, but not Joe.  He always seemed kind of quiet and not in love with the camera.  My guess is that Bates and Duggar students were asked to volunteer - to provide PR as well as orientation.

Yes--but that pic was posted on Dec. 1. The Crown College semester starts in August. Freshman registration was Aug. 17 this year. So I am still baffled by the timing.  But yes, I can totally see Tori as a freshman orientation team member.

Yes--but that pic was posted on Dec. 1. The Crown College semester starts in August. Freshman registration was Aug. 17 this year. So I am still baffled by the timing.  But yes, I can totally see Tori as a freshman orientation team member.

iirc Joe started atvClown College in winter semester. So they may do freshman orientation a couple times a year. Just supposing.

Crown College has such a funky beliefs page on their website. They basically re-worded the Nicene Creed. Like, just put the damn creed in there, don't waste your time!

Crown College has such a funky beliefs page on their website. They basically re-worded the Nicene Creed. Like, just put the damn creed in there, don't waste your time!

They can't quote the Nicene creed because they think it is OMG LIKE SUPER EVILLLLLLL!!11!

formergothardite, I've really enjoyed our discussion in this thread and there are obviously  some things that we disagree on. I do agree with you on some things as well , and you have made some points that I hadn't thought about, and now am  thinking about.

I'm willing to concede that part of the reason that I can defend the Bates  on some things (and  will probably continue to do so, unless they do something that changes my mind about them)  is because I can only see JB as being a narcissistic asshole, who is interested in keeping his own image and feeding his ego.  These people are a trigger for me because I grew up with one of them as a parent and I know just how damaging they can be. It is the conditional love that is the most damaging thing. I do think Gil loves all his kids unconditionally, and for that reason his kids will turn out way less fucked up than  JB's.

I think Kelly is actually really manipulative, and I don't wouldn't defend her in the same way (although I  do think she is a way more capable teacher than Michelle, and it's showing as the kids grow older!), but at the end of the day, they are members of a patriarchal cult (that I believe Kelly led them into ?) so she doesn't get as much say as her husband  and he'll always be able to reign her if he wanted to. Michelle isn't in the position to do that with JB, maybe that's why she seems to have lost herself completely).

I don't agree with people downvoting you for your opinion. That seems pretty pointless  and rather petty. They could have joined in and contributed to the discussion, but whatever. I'll save my downvotes for anyone that is being really immature, name calling or attacking another member here for having a different opinion than themselves!

Thank you, BTW, for your thoughtful posts.

PLAGIARISM!!!

But I'm guessing Clown College doesn't care plagiarism? That was a huge deal at my school. In college we had to write out the honor pledge stating we didn't cheat for every exam.

I feel sorry for Michael Bates. Every instagram she posts, some leghumper asks her if she's pregnant yet. For all that she answers cheerfully: "No baby yet. God's timing is always perfect!", it has to sting. Even if they're not trying for some reason, or sitting on news until they're past the worst risk, it still must sting. I wish people would learn not to ask potentially hurtful personal questions, but that's what you get when you your parents put your life on TV.

Personally I agree with her that God's timing is perfect: every month she's not pregnant is more time to build a solid foundation for marriage with Brandon, more opportunity to finish her degree or enjoy being out of the parental home, and less potential arrows in her quiver.

PLAGIARISM!!!

But I'm guessing Clown College doesn't care plagiarism? That was a huge deal at my school. In college we had to write out the honor pledge stating we didn't cheat for every exam.

Same at my school. Plagiarism was a HUGE deal at my school. A lot of my humanities classes would take a day of the syllabus to go over how to cite stuff just so that people wouldn't get caught doing it unintentionally. Plus you had to write "No aid, no violation, [signature]" on all written exams.

I'm guessing that an educational institution that caters to people who consider parroting Scripture and Wisdom Booklets a sign of learning and send their kids off to re-education camp when they show signs of independent thought isn't going to take plagiarism quite so seriously.

I feel sorry for Michael Bates. Every instagram she posts, some leghumper asks her if she's pregnant yet. For all that she answers cheerfully: "No baby yet. God's timing is always perfect!", it has to sting. Even if they're not trying for some reason, or sitting on news until they're past the worst risk, it still must sting. I wish people would learn not to ask potentially hurtful personal questions, but that's what you get when you your parents put your life on TV.

Personally I agree with her that God's timing is perfect: every month she's not pregnant is more time to build a solid foundation for marriage with Brandon, more opportunity to finish her degree or enjoy being out of the parental home, and less potential arrows in her quiver.

I just got married a month ago. My sister casually mentioned to our Grandma I may be watching her baby when she and her husband go back to work after the birth. Grandma immediately started asking whether I was pregnant or not - luckily I wasn't in the room and she knew enough not to ask me, but it was super awkward being told about it later and really made me look at my stomach a bit more closely in the mirror than usual.

One of my friends got asked if she was pregnant by a complete stranger about two weeks after she got married last month as well. She's not. It was super awkward and made her feel horrible, especially since she struggles with thyroid issues.

I agree with you completely. I wish people would stop assuming things or stop bringing the subject up. It doesn't matter that Michael is on television or part of a family known for having all the babies - it's just as rude to ask her something so personal as it would be to ask a complete stranger who isn't on television.

I just got married a month ago. My sister casually mentioned to our Grandma I may be watching her baby when she and her husband go back to work after the birth. Grandma immediately started asking whether I was pregnant or not - luckily I wasn't in the room and she knew enough not to ask me, but it was super awkward being told about it later and really made me look at my stomach a bit more closely in the mirror than usual.

One of my friends got asked if she was pregnant by a complete stranger about two weeks after she got married last month as well. She's not. It was super awkward and made her feel horrible, especially since she struggles with thyroid issues.

I agree with you completely. I wish people would stop assuming things or stop bringing the subject up. It doesn't matter that Michael is on television or part of a family known for having all the babies - it's just as rude to ask her something so personal as it would be to ask a complete stranger who isn't on television.

Unfortunately, this is not going to get better. It has nothing to due with whether or not you are bloated and look a little pregnant. A friend who had lives in another state would frequently ask me over the phone. After you have your first baby, expect to get asked when you are having a second. If you have a second, people will still ask you if you are having more and give you unsolicited advice about whether or not it is a good idea to have more. 

I had a woman frequently ask me if I was pregnant. I always told her no. One time I did not know that I was pregnant because it was very early in the pregnancy and I had not even missed my period yet. Later this woman confronted me about lying to her. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived