IGNORED

Erika Shupe *grim rictus* Large Families on Purpose Part 3

happy atheist

I doubt it. I have no idea what it means, and I'm not even fundie.

It's weird to read without commas but it refers to taking a shot or ordering a shot, "Straight, no chaser", without like anything to wash it down. It's also weird to me because I've never had a bartender even offer me a chaser. I've only ever seen them used at house parties.

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Karen and Melanie did a duet at their family Thanksgiving thing, playing some Christmas tunes. Erika posted the link on the FB page. I've never heard the Duggar kids play their violins so can't compare (although I know the Duggar playing style is shite.) 

Only a few seconds in and I think they sound OK, no real knowledge of music here though. The first one seems to be The First Noel, a sort of extended version of the chorus as far as I can tell (I don't know that one so well). They then move into one I don't recognise (someone help me out? Presumably as fundies they know these tunes better than I did. I went to a C of E primary school but we mainly stuck to the same carols every year for our school Carol Service). 

OK, watching more, The First Noel is the only one I recognise. They don't announce which ones they're doing, they just kind of merge all the tunes into one. 

The song is "One Small Child"...I've heard it before (not sure where) but it's now stuck in my head and playing on repeat.

It's weird to read without commas but it refers to taking a shot or ordering a shot, "Straight, no chaser", without like anything to wash it down. It's also weird to me because I've never had a bartender even offer me a chaser. I've only ever seen them used at house parties.

OH okay. The comma there makes all the difference. Thanks for clearing that up!

Yep, the play The First Nowell, One Small Child, and Of the Father's Love Begotten. Decent musicianship for their level -- they're not concert players like Jana *cough*, but it's a very sweet thing to do at a family gathering.

New Erika-spelling: *rye smile* I didn't know you were a type of bread, Erika.

Yeah, I saw that too, but my brain went straight to alcohol, not bread, which made me laugh because I was picturing her half smashed on rye as a way to maintain her *smile *  in the face of all the things in life that she can't control. 

Yep, the play The First Nowell, One Small Child, and Of the Father's Love Begotten. Decent musicianship for their level -- they're not concert players like Jana *cough*, but it's a very sweet thing to do at a family gathering.

Thanks for the clarification! 

I used to play the flute, gave it up because I hated practising, and then I kind of self-taught violin a little bit (probably not well), then I gave up the violin. I got them both from a shop where you could hire instruments for £x a month, I think the flute was like £5 or 6 and the violin was also £5/6 (don't remember which). I kind of wish I hadn't given up the flute. I wish I could play it again. I did lessons my first two years of secondary school (think sixth/seventh grade) and almost did my Grade 1 exam (google ABRSM). I so wish I'd been better about practising and continued! 

Erika appears to have deleted "Little Drummer Boy" by Pentatonix. The others are still there. Hmmm.....

Erika appears to have deleted "Little Drummer Boy" by Pentatonix. The others are still there. Hmmm.....

I wonder if she got a judgmental comment about how "secular" Pentatonix's music is and deleted it before anyone noticed. I can see Erika pulling the nuclear option if someone tried to make her look bad (since we know she's done it before!). 

New Erika-spelling: *rye smile* I didn't know you were a type of bread, Erika.

Eungggghhhh :doh:WHY WHY WHY.

A cursory google search reveals that Pentatonix is a big champion of LGBTQ causes and two of the male members are openly gay.  I'm sure that Erika doesn't expose her children to works of art by Michelangelo or Da Vinci, and I'm positive that she doesn't read to them from the Bible commissioned by King James, a notorious homosexual.  So it's all good.  *hypocritical smile*.  

A cursory google search reveals that Pentatonix is a big champion of LGBTQ causes and two of the male members are openly gay.  I'm sure that Erika doesn't expose her children to works of art by Michelangelo or Da Vinci, and I'm positive that she doesn't read to them from the Bible commissioned by King James, a notorious homosexual.  So it's all good.  *hypocritical smile*.  

Re: the first sentence; I did not know that about Pentatonix and it makes me even more impressed that they played at my daughter's college a few years ago. She goes to a very conservative Chrstian school and I 'm thrilled that the powers that be brought in a band the kids love regardless of the personal lives of said band members. Gives me hope for an institution that at times appears very stuck in legalistic and dogmatic ways.  

It's a "Coco" kind of day at the Shupe household. I have a feeling she's never looked at the image results for that word. Learn to spell, Erika! It could save you and your children from future defrauding!

It's a "Coco" kind of day at the Shupe household. I have a feeling she's never looked at the image results for that word. Learn to spell, Erika! It could save you and your children from future defrauding!

Oh, Erika. 

In the blog post that describes their recipe, she actually spells it correctly. The recipe is supposedly for those in the family who are trying to eat less sugar. BUT, Erika doesn't let any of the kids each much sugar. I know there's an obesity crisis right now, but fat-free sugar-free cocoa sounds gross and depressing. 

Also, I have a nightie that reads "It's a hot chocolate kind of day". Unfortunately it ends above the knee so would be totally defrauding. (Eh, whatever, I'm a heathen, I'm doomed to hell anyway :P )

Her recipe for cocoa is one of the most repugnant recipes I've ever seen. I can see the women on my father's side of the family drinking it. I think I would rather have tasty cocoa less often than microwaved sugar free slop all the time.

SHE'S DELETED THE PHOTO! 

No joke. That's got to be a record. 

Hm...so did people comment telling her spelling was stupid, or was she reading here? 

Since she's mentioned us before, I have a feeling she may have peeked...

Hm...so did people comment telling her spelling was stupid, or was she reading here? 

I looked about an hour and a half ago and as far as I can remember there weren't any comments, let alone negative ones. Perhaps she's reading the thread. Hey, Erika! :greetings-waveyellow:

Well Dang.  I had hopes of seeing the Shupe tribe Coco day.  I totally imagined Erika making everyone wear Chanel clothing and practice their sanctimonious superiority over us heathens, like Betty Bowers, but being genuine in their thoughts and actions, not satirical like Betty.

Hey Erika! :562479b1e2079_Whyhullothurwave:

Among MANY other things, PLEASE consider giving your children some autonomy! :pray:

And get yourself a qualified therapist! 

Sugar-free and fat-free cocoa can be good if it's made right.  Her recipe sounds gross though, very watery.  It makes me think of adding a teaspoon of chocolate milk powder to a tall glass of water.

Which photo did she delete??! (Sorry, got very confused!) 

Which photo did she delete??! (Sorry, got very confused!) 

She made some thing (not really sure what to call it, it was two pictures of her kids drinking cocoa on a green background, with the words "It's a Coco kind of day" written below it). We, being eagle eyed snarks, saw it and started laughing at it and her cocoa recipe. Presto- the photo is gone. 

Erika doesn't like all the secular music

Songs about romance, and Santa, and being kind to everyone, and dreaming about a world without war.

Why is being kind to everyone and wanting a world without war something ChristiansTM should avoid?  They sound like fairly laudable goals to me. 

Erika doesn't like all the secular music

Why is being kind to everyone and wanting a world without war something ChristiansTM should avoid?  They sound like fairly laudable goals to me. 

You should only be nice to everyone who believes the same way you do. Just ignore the parts of the New Testament where Jesus feeds thousands of people without asking about their religious affiliation or the Good Samaritan story. 

And also, everything Christmas should be all about Jesus. Except for the parts that aren't. 

Ah, Erika logic.

*beam*

• keen23 locked this topic

Archived