IGNORED

Erika Shupe *grim rictus* Large Families on Purpose Part 3

happy atheist

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, amandaaries said:

Then again, I never slept with ear plugs at night with children in the house.

That is just plain old stupid.

11 hours ago, Eternalbluepearl said:

I completely agree with Erika on bed-making, room cleanliness, no clutter and the like. However, I will say I am sick of seeing pictures of Bob and Erika's house in general and their gosh-darn "this is how WE do things" crap. They have over-the-top pride about things like their orderly linen closet. My linen closet is orderly too and I'm a heathen with no children. I believe their house is becoming an idol. *tsk tsk* *wink* *smile* *vomit*

Agreed. I also think it's interesting how proud they are of their neatness, considering how regimented everything seems to be... it doesn't seem like too much could get out of order in the first place. 

Sleep with earplugs on? My kids haven't needed me at night for years, and my oldest is almost grown, and I STILL keep our bedroom door at open at night so I can listen for them. 

1 hour ago, Antimony said:

Or nutritionist. 

She definitely doesn't see a nutritionist, does she? If she does, they aren't legit, considering her nutrition knowledge is quite limited based on what I've read on her blog. 

1 hour ago, iweartanktops6 said:

She definitely doesn't see a nutritionist, does she? If she does, they aren't legit, considering her nutrition knowledge is quite limited based on what I've read on her blog. 

It's like a nutritionist naturopath? Hence my edit. I cannot remember.

I do use earplugs when hubby is doing his warthog impression but I always worry  about not hearing the alarm or not being able to respond if their is an emergency (although the need for sleep normally wins - I've never worked out how he can snore quite so loudly).

I sleep with earplugs in, but I don't have kids.  I live in an apartment and I'm a light sleeper.  I've gotten so used to them that I don't know if I could sleep without them.  If I ever do have a kid I don't know what I'll do without them, but I wouldn't feel comfortable using them.

*raises hand*

Earplug sleeper here. Yes, even when I had young kids. The earplugs don't stop the noise. They just muffle it. I'm such a light sleeper, I still hear everything. And with my husband's snoring I seriously would never get any sleep without them.

We have a one story house and it's not that big. If the house were larger, I might have gone a different route. But believe me, I heard every whimper and noise my kids made. And every time the cat meowed. Or threw up. I think it's my "mom ears."

There've been a few updates recently. The kids went to the Children's Museum. Anna Marie and Riley had their birthdays (and are now 10 and 9 respectively, they are a year and a day apart. Only one shared photo for them, no album). Spencer is now 6 (and got an album). Karen and Melanie did a duet thing at their church, including "The Entertainer" and a Christmas medley. Oh, did you know that you can look up "Christian Christmas Word Searches"? Clearly normal Christmas ones are too secular (they include 'holiday' and 'gift' which are presumably too commercial for holier-than-thou fundies). Karen and Anna Marie have also made chocolate peppermint rods. Not entirely sure what the rods would be...presumably some kind of sponge thing. Just sounds like an odd word to choose.

13 hours ago, livinginthelight said:

*raises hand*

Earplug sleeper here. Yes, even when I had young kids. The earplugs don't stop the noise. They just muffle it. I'm such a light sleeper, I still hear everything. And with my husband's snoring I seriously would never get any sleep without them.

We have a one story house and it's not that big. If the house were larger, I might have gone a different route. But believe me, I heard every whimper and noise my kids made. And every time the cat meowed. Or threw up. I think it's my "mom ears."

Can so relate to the "mom's ears" ... have no idea how they work, but they do.  Never slept w/earplugs and certainly not when my kids were at home.  

So, now - daughter & her family (inc.a nine-month old) are across the country.  The other morning she called very early which is very unusual; I was still in bed).   My phone was charging out in the family room area.   I heard the "special" ring (my two adult kids and a few other special people are set up that way).  I JUMPED out of bed, tore down the hall and answered on the third ring.  And I DO NOT get out of bed like that with an alarm or anything else.   DH couldn't believe I could still move that fast. 

53 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

There've been a few updates recently. The kids went to the Children's Museum. Anna Marie and Riley had their birthdays (and are now 10 and 9 respectively, they are a year and a day apart. Only one shared photo for them, no album). Spencer is now 6 (and got an album). Karen and Melanie did a duet thing at their church, including "The Entertainer" and a Christmas medley. Oh, did you know that you can look up "Christian Christmas Word Searches"? Clearly normal Christmas ones are too secular (they include 'holiday' and 'gift' which are presumably too commercial for holier-than-thou fundies). Karen and Anna Marie have also made chocolate peppermint rods. Not entirely sure what the rods would be...presumably some kind of sponge thing. Just sounds like an odd word to choose.

The rods are pretzels rods. They're dipped in chocolate and rolled in crushed peppermint candies. I'm not personally a fan of the salt and peppermint combined, but each to their own I guess. 

One of Erika's shared pictures in the avalanche of pictures she has just posted includes a "tip" telling moms to put laundry baskets into the bath, then the baby into the basket so they can lean back or "save themselves from drowning." 

First of all, shouldn't items be used for their intended purpose only, Erika?!? 

Second of all, take a look at the comments. They are all tearing her a new one over how bad the idea is. 

Wow, how sad is it that birthday parties only include siblings. They even make party favors....for their siblings.

Erika could probably get around her self imposed only use things for their intended purpose rule.  She could pray that the Lord (if it is His will for her) would send a donated laundry basket to her via Value Village.  She could label it "for bath time ONLY" and threaten to revoke jellybean privileges so the kids wouldn't touch it. Problem solved. So simple, so good.

Seriously though this seems like a terrible idea and I'm glad her kids are too old for it.

Ericka (and her sheeple) are trying to cover her ass now.  The photo specifically refers to the lives it could save (are you kidding me??!!?).  Now Erika is trying to act like she just thought it was a clever way to avoid having to hand your baby a bath toy.  

Good lord.  Can.not.admit.when.she's.wrong.

21 minutes ago, AbandonAllHope said:

She could label it "for bath time ONLY" and threaten to revoke jellybean privileges so the kids wouldn't touch it. Problem solved. So simple, so good.

Mmm...so good. *wink*

Erika LOVES caging children into small spaces. She loves knowing they are behind walls or doors, and can't get out to mess up her house. So I'm not surprised this idea appeals to her. 

Okay the reason she originally gives is absolutely stupid, you should supervise your baby in any kind of bath tub the entire time they're in there, but I don't exactly hate the idea of using a laundry basket to make the tub smaller.

But my question is is why not just buy a baby bath tub? They're like 20$. 

My mom washed me in the kitchen sink when she thought I was even too small for the baby tub (I was barely 6 lbs at birth).    

On December 23, 2015 at 1:17 AM, livinginthelight said:

*raises hand*

I sleep with earplugs, too. I started before I had kids and just kept doing it after they were born. I always heard them - I think I adjusted to it since I had been doing it for so long already. Our rooms were close and we left doors open. I'm a very light/anxious sleeper and still wake up thinking I've heard my kids now even though they sleep all night. My children's father slept very heavily and sometimes he'd never wake up while I'd be up or down many times with the kids. I think of them more as a noise filter. I still wake up for lots of things, but they make it possible for me to have restful sleep.

I don't see why anyone would think that laundry basket in the bathtub is a good idea. Seems unnecessary in the first place and I'm not sure how it would even work. The water weight wouldn't hold it down if the baby was scrambling, etc. It's more likely to trap the baby even more - and why would it be necessary if baby was properly supervised?

3 minutes ago, baristachica said:

I sleep with earplugs, too. I started before I had kids and just kept doing it after they were born. I always heard them - I think I adjusted to it since I had been doing it for so long already. Our rooms were close and we left doors open. I'm a very light/anxious sleeper and still wake up thinking I've heard my kids now even though they sleep all night. My children's father slept very heavily and sometimes he'd never wake up while I'd be up or down many times with the kids. I think of them more as a noise filter. I still wake up for lots of things, but they make it possible for me to have restful sleep.

I don't see why anyone would think that laundry basket in the bathtub is a good idea. Seems unnecessary in the first place and I'm not sure how it would even work. The water weight wouldn't hold it down if the baby was scrambling, etc. It's more likely to trap the baby even more - and why would it be necessary if baby was properly supervise?

It's not, but the fundie moms are always looking for someone, or in this case something else to raise their blessings for them.  Their goal seems to be: Produce as many children as possible, spend as little time with them as possible, and make the time you spend with them a battle.

2 hours ago, Koala said:

It's not, but the fundie moms are always looking for someone, or in this case something else to raise their blessings for them.  Their goal seems to be: Produce as many children as possible, spend as little time with them as possible, and make the time you spend with them a battle.

I think the laundry basket in the tub is pointless personally, but I don't think it's just a fundie thing. I've seen it all over Facebook and Pinterest in "tips and tricks" lists. 

Erika brags so much about her one-day toilet training that I was surprised to see her write this in response to a reader:

I trained our 4yo son and he did great for about a week...and then he quit. I tried for 5 months to get him to embrace it - with consequences for intentionally going in his pants instead of using the potty, and motivational things to help him - to no avail. I finally put him back in diapers and moved on. He's 4 1/2 now and still won't do it. But he will will eventually. And this isn't uncommon for boys. When his 3 1/2 yo brother trains (he won't do it yet either) then I'm sure Tyler will get back to it. It'll come.

Poor little Tyler was probably trying to get control over something in his life. I never had boys, so I don't know, is it really common for 4.5 year old boys to wear diapers? The little boys I remember at my girls' preschool never wore diapers. They were messy using the toilet, but they could use it.

7 minutes ago, Hisey said:

Erika brags so much about her one-day toilet training that I was surprised to see her write this in response to a reader:

Poor little Tyler was probably trying to get control over something in his life. I never had boys, so I don't know, is it really common for 4.5 year old boys to wear diapers? The little boys I remember at my girls' preschool never wore diapers. They were messy using the toilet, but they could use it.

I don't think it's common for any child to still be in diapers at 4.5. I mean it happens, and doesn't necessarily mean something is  *wrong* but it's sure way on the outside edge of normal. I have a friend with a4.5yr old girl who is not potty trained, and it certainly makes me wonder what is going on. I suspect you are correct in Tyler's case, that he's trying to have control over something in his life. But if I had a kid who was still in diapers at 4 I would be worried enough to see the pediatrician.

• keen23 locked this topic

Archived