IGNORED

Erika Shupe *grim rictus* Large Families on Purpose Part 3

happy atheist

Erika has suggested some "Kid Snippets", a youtube channel apparently. They're supposed to be funny. They grate on my nerves and kind of freak me out. Maybe they're funny to younger children? It's just not in line with my sense of humor. 

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I attempted the pancake cooking show one. I couldn't finish it. I just couldn't see anything amusing in it. Grown men with children's voices? Meh.

1 hour ago, Antimony said:

Erika has suggested some "Kid Snippets", a youtube channel apparently. They're supposed to be funny. They grate on my nerves and kind of freak me out. Maybe they're funny to younger children? It's just not in line with my sense of humor. 

Well, fundie kids are emotionally stunted, generally speaking, so maybe they find this kind of thing funny. After all, they're never going to be exposed to real stand-up comedians.

On 12/30/2015 at 10:19 AM, VodouDoll said:

One day when my daughter was two she saw some kids walking home from school and fell MADLY in love with their backpacks. She thought backpacks were the coolest, most amazing and wonderful things ever. And I thought, "Score!" We went straight to the store, she picked out a little backpack for herself, I stuck a couple diapers, a box of crayons, and a baggie of Cheerios inside, and she's carried her own diaper bag ever since.

I'm just going to say it. Clearly, you're a GENIUS! Will you be my mom too?

16 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

I desire to purpose to be more orderly. 

Is"to purpose" similar to "fixin' to" in the south?

I'm purposing to wash the dishes?

Southerner here, and "I desire to purpose" is the ugliest most nonsensical world salad I've heard in a while.

And I even use turns of phrase like "a fixin' to"

New re-post: how to keep 9 kids clean. "Effect" instead of "affect" is used, also "purpose" as a verb. Blargh.

21 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

I desire to purpose to be more orderly. 

Is"to purpose" similar to "fixin' to" in the south?

I'm purposing to wash the dishes?

Nah. "Fixin' to" definitely has a immediacy to it. I might say, "I'm fixin' to scramble some eggs" while cracking eggs. IMO, it implies that you are some steps through a multi-step process or getting ready to do a defined activity that has a start and end time. Even applies to, "I'm fixin' to whoop your ass."

Fundies use "purposing" to mean basically anything they want to do and it is often a non-concrete idea. "I'm purposing to look for blessings in my life". It usually has a long time frame and a vagueness about it that "fixin' to" certainly does not. You can even purpose your entire life to serve Jesus or something. 

29 minutes ago, Antimony said:

Nah. "Fixin' to" definitely has a immediacy to it. I might say, "I'm fixin' to scramble some eggs" while cracking eggs. IMO, it implies that you are some steps through a multi-step process or getting ready to do a defined activity that has a start and end time. Even applies to, "I'm fixin' to whoop your ass."

Fundies use "purposing" to mean basically anything they want to do and it is often a non-concrete idea. "I'm purposing to look for blessings in my life". It usually has a long time frame and a vagueness about it that "fixin' to" certainly does not. You can even purpose your entire life to serve Jesus or something. 

As a Texan, I appreciate your thorough breakdown of "fixin'." Although I no longer live in Texas, "fixin'" and "y'all" are the two Southernisms that are absolutely cemented into my vocabulary forever. :pb_lol:

I think fundies' liberal use of "purposing" and "desire" are a way to make themselves seem less selfish. They sound a bit softer than "want" and sound more.... selfless? I'm having a hard time articulating exactly what I mean, but "I want my blog to help people" and "I'm purposing to help people with my blog" (I don't know if that's the correct usage) sound very different. 

I can't believe I 'm saying this, but I am actually going to use some of her laundry tips. I'm a huge fan of Shout gel, but I didn't know about Zout, and I 'm looking for a new detergent. *hides behind curtain*

1 hour ago, DarkAnts said:

In the comments on this post she actually admits to bathing her 9 year old son. WTF?!!!!

She really can't stand having them grow up can she.

2 hours ago, DarkAnts said:

In the comments on this post she actually admits to bathing her 9 year old son. WTF?!!!!

What in the heck?!  That is way, way too old to be bathed by mom.  If he doesn't do a thorough enough job, you tell him to use soap and send him back in.  How on earth does she expect to produce children who are self-competent if she doesn't allow them to fail and then try again?  If one of those kids doesn't turn into Norman Bates, it'll be a miracle.  

On 1/1/2016 at 2:11 PM, imokit said:

LOL - I need at least two for me alone, but then my addiction has been documented since I was two :my_angel:

When avocado season rolls around, I buy a dozen every couple days, for just myself.    They're my favorite thing to eat.  I'll cube up half a dozen of them in a large bowl, and settle in with lemon juice and salt.  

3 hours ago, DarkAnts said:

I find that very disturbing.  She claims she "just hasn't had time" to teach a NINE year old to apply soap to a washrag? No.  This is a skill he should have acquired long ago.  

This is just wrong...so very wrong.  I am almost speechless.  She needs to get the hell off her blog and Facebook if she can no longer find the time to teach her children to do the most basic tasks.

It's important for Erika that the world see her children are clean but it is not important that the world know that her children can spell age appropriate words like "great" or "just". Priorities. 

Also, I honestly don't know about younger children but one a week seems a little skimpy on the bathing to me. It must be a function of Erika having no messy activities, right? I'd think just paint, mud, food, flour, clay, etc would justify more frequent bathing in a normal childhood. I know small children don't get the natural stank we all have once teenagers but bath time also seems like a valuable play time/sensory exploration time. I read Growing a Jeweled Rose and she really goes all out with bath time as a play time. Maybe her smaller children wouldn't be so keen to play in the toilet if there was more bath time play? Even one of her commenters on the FB page with 9 children says they bathe every day. 

12 minutes ago, Koala said:

I find that very disturbing.  She claims she "just hasn't had time" to teach a NINE year old to apply soap to a washrag? No.  This is a skill he should have acquired long ago.  

This is just wrong...so very wrong.  I am almost speechless.  She needs to get the hell off her blog and Facebook if she can no longer find the time to teach her children to do the most basic tasks.

And her view of the situation is such that she will post this nugget for the world to see. If it were me, and it wouldn't be, I would strive to hide the fact that my nine year old cannot perform this basic task. I would be mortified!  

6 hours ago, defraudingjezebel said:

As a Texan, I appreciate your thorough breakdown of "fixin'." Although I no longer live in Texas, "fixin'" and "y'all" are the two Southernisms that are absolutely cemented into my vocabulary forever. :pb_lol:

I think fundies' liberal use of "purposing" and "desire" are a way to make themselves seem less selfish. They sound a bit softer than "want" and sound more.... selfless? I'm having a hard time articulating exactly what I mean, but "I want my blog to help people" and "I'm purposing to help people with my blog" (I don't know if that's the correct usage) sound very different. 

I completely agree! I was thinking about this earlier! It's like they're trying to distance themselves from any want or need. 

Very strange! 

3 hours ago, DarkAnts said:

This is weird. I'm not a mom but I have a lot of child care experience, and I feel like 9 is too old. Some kids need to be reminded to clean properly, but they can do it themselves! 

Actually, I might just use my Facebook page to tell her how I feel about this. 

My parents weren't too worried about nudity/privacy when I was a kid (and even now, it's not unusual for me to see a family member in their underwear). I bathed with my mother and brother until I was about 10. That's not to say I didn't also shower/bathe on my own; when I did, however, the door was left unlocked and my parents were usually nearby because accidents can happen. My parents bathed me until I was 5 or 6 and supervised bathing until I was 9. Heck, my mom helped me shave my legs until I got the hang of it.

So my parents were by no means inattentive or careless. But Erika seems excessive to me.

Eta: spelling errors

I think that if the nine year old needs more help than with the shampoo it is too old to be helped bathing. I don't have a problem with baths once a week, my three year old bathes about once a week and she is not kept on a tight leash and goes to preschool where I have no control of how messy her activities are. I help her wash her face before she goes to sleep and she washes her hands herself. Sure, on occasion she will be so dirty I will bathe her more often than once a week but that is quite rare. 

14 hours ago, Antimony said:

I know small children don't get the natural stank we all have once teenagers but bath time also seems like a valuable play time/sensory exploration time. I read Growing a Jeweled Rose and she really goes all out with bath time as a play time. 

Off topic, but isn't that the GREATEST blog for sensory and art ideas for small kids? I love it so much.

I have three boys and even the 5 year old wants me to think he can take a shower himself.  I'm hoping this means that she helps him get the water to the right temperature or maybe even helps him wash out the shampoo all the way.  

Bath time was the best way to make happy kids.  I remember putting my two older boys in the bathtub together with a bunch of toys and plastic cups....and letting them stay until the water got too cold.  It was a great way for them to get clean and have fun.  We used to buy this foamy soap at Target (kind of like superhero Crazy Foam when I was a kid).  It was the best. 

What kind of bathing is she doing that she "doesn't have time to teach him"! For a 9 year old it should be, "next time do what we've been doing yourself."

The 9-year-old Erika's talking about in that comment would have been Brandon. She seems to constantly just throw him in with the little kids (I guess it doesn't help that he basically looks the same age as his next-youngest siblings who are three and four years younger, but still). He still didn't get to brush his own teeth at an age when his older sisters had long been responsible for basically raising their siblings. Either he has some delays that Erika's not talking about, or she is just completely stunting normal development for him.

Erika is equally lazy AF when it comes to raising her kids and controlling. Therefore she doesn’t have time (lazy) to teach him properly (controlling). Its monumentally sad how stunted these kids are in so many ways. 

Fuck you Erika, your kids are going to need so much therapy after your done with them. 

I'm lazy too, that's why I teach my kids to do things for themselves :P its  way more work to bathe a 9yr old than to send them into the shower alone. I think it is a control issue.

• keen23 locked this topic

Archived