IGNORED

Erika Shupe *grim rictus* Large Families on Purpose Part 3

happy atheist

12 hours ago, iweartanktops6 said:

WOW! :pb_eek:

You're telling me that instead of asking for "chicken breast," they literally ask for "white meat," instead? Really

And I'm over here like, "pass me the deviled eggs, please." :my_biggrin:

This reminds me of a well-known Winston Churchill story:

Churchill's granddaughter Celia Sandys also told Mr Johnson that her grandfather had told her himself about the time he was on a lecture tour of America and was served a buffet lunch of cold chicken.

"May I have some breast?" he asked his hostess.

"Mr Churchill," she replied, "In this country we ask for white meat or dark meat."

The following day Churchill sent her an orchid, with the message: "I would be obliged if you would pin this on your white meat."

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Rubaiyat said:

Solidarity over here, sister!  I've got just a few holdouts left, and fake book was a HUGE one.  I, too, and stamping the crap out of my foot that I can't stalk fundie pages in the peace and quiet of my own damn home without some unseen overlord making me confess all my data....wait.  No wonder they're all on fake book!! :lol:

Still pisses me off, though.  I'm going to try not to give in. Ugh.  Just wanted you to know you're not alone in your fight!

Thank you! It's comforting to know I'm not the only one. Unfortunately, I can't lurk on my favorite musicians' "public" pages, either, so the whole thing is just shit. Shit, I say!

"Congratulations You Got Grounded"??

Isn't there a verse about not provoking your children to anger?  Because I have a hard time believing a child old enough to have a phone would have a positive reaction to this kind of blatant sarcasm.

18 hours ago, Anonymousguest said:

Vanilla ice cream?  What's wrong with that? @Jingerbread

Melted vanilla ice cream could out thoughts of ejaculation into innocent heads.  He had that so ingrained into him that he still couldn't make himself eat it when he was with me.  Chocolate or mint only.

18 hours ago, iweartanktops6 said:

WOW! :pb_eek:

You're telling me that instead of asking for "chicken breast," they literally ask for "white meat," instead? Really

And I'm over here like, "pass me the deviled eggs, please." :my_biggrin:

Yes.  White meat and dark meat to avoid asking for breasts, thighs, and legs. Asking for wings was okay though, since we don't have wings.  But who asks for the wings?

3 hours ago, Koala said:

Isn't there a verse about not provoking your children to anger?  Because I have a hard time believing a child old enough to have a phone would have a positive reaction to this kind of blatant sarcasm.

It struck me exactly the same way. Maybe the reason my teenagers and I all get along so well is because I never pulled that kind of passive-aggressive crap on them. *grim rictus*

2 hours ago, Jingerbread said:

Melted vanilla ice cream could out thoughts of ejaculation into innocent heads.  He had that so ingrained into him that he still couldn't make himself eat it when he was with me.  Chocolate or mint only.

Oh wow. Perhaps I have never liked vanilla ice cream anyway, this association would never, ever have occurred to me. And now I'm disgusted.

2 hours ago, Jingerbread said:

Yes.  White meat and dark meat to avoid asking for breasts, thighs, and legs. Asking for wings was okay though, since we don't have wings.  But who asks for the wings?

My mother was very ladylike, and for awhile (in the 60s, for pity's sake) she tried to keep me from wearing Levis because fly front pants were vulgar. She was known for her wonderful candlelit dinners at a beautifully set table. But I once remember her stopping the conversation by asking if anyone wanted another serving of chicken bosoms. I'm thinking that despite some similar concerns about crotch ares, she and Erika would not have gotten along so well.

4 hours ago, Jingerbread said:

This is one of the craziest things I've ever seen. And I've been reading Free Jinger for over three years, so that's saying something.

1 hour ago, older than allosaurs said:

Oh wow. Perhaps because I have never liked vanilla ice cream anyway, this association would never, ever have occurred to me. And now I'm disgusted.

Because I just missed the edit time window, here's what I meant to say above.

2 hours ago, princessmahina said:

This is one of the craziest things I've ever seen. And I've been reading Free Jinger for over three years, so that's saying something.

He had some really weird hang-ups about food because of this stuff.  It's no wonder at all that he looked as thin as the R-kids, and it was because of all he wouldn't eat because he saw so much stuff as bad.

Until he told me about the ice cream, I never would have connected it to ejaculate.  Do fundies even know what it looks like, when it's only supposed to leave a penis when it does into a vagina?  I've seen a lot of it in my days (ejaculate), and it's not bright white ice cream.

He also had to break bananas into pieces to eat them instead of taking bites.  

I swear to God, he was raised to connect food to sex so much more than someone with a food-in-the-bedroom fetish could possibly think about it.  We dated only about a year.  This is part of why we broke up.  Other fundy things he was raised with also made things impossible.

I hope Erika isn't reading these posts.  She might take ice cream aw-  Oh.  She doesn't allow ice cream in the first place, right?

12 hours ago, Koala said:

Yes, the verse in question tells parents to not provoke their children to anger but to bring them up in the NURTURE and admonition (I looked up the word admonition for that verse once in an interlinear Bible and it gave the definition as "counsel or instruction through reasoning with").

I fail to see how Erika's passive aggressive little "you got grounded *smirk*" sheet is either nurturing or reasonable. For all the fundie spewing about their "Biblical principles" they sure are ignorant of what the Bible says. 

2 hours ago, JillsFlowerHeadband said:

Yes, the verse in question tells parents to not provoke their children to anger but to bring them up in the NURTURE and admonition (I looked up the word admonition for that verse once in an interlinear Bible and it gave the definition as "counsel or instruction through reasoning with").

I fail to see how Erika's passive aggressive little "you got grounded *smirk*" sheet is either nurturing or reasonable. For all the fundie spewing about their "Biblical principles" they sure are ignorant of what the Bible says. 

It's not her sheet. She shared it from another Mommy blog and I've seen it on secular ones. I think the source is secular, as well.

Erika certainly can't enact because as others have mentioned, what the hell is grouding in her house? Karen can't drive and there isn't a time block on the schedule for "Karen sees a movie with friends" or "Karen goes to coffee shop with friends to eat pastries and generally annoy the staff by being less than quiet patrons" or "Karen goes to antique shops with her friends" or "Karen goes to the football game with her friends to oogle butts" or  "Karen has a sleepover with her friends to watch RHPS". There's no way to ground them. (All examples of me being 16.) She can only take away their books or garden or something. She can't even tell one they can't come to the zoo or park or movies or whatever because she wouldn't leave one alone at home and all activities are family activities. She can't ban internet because they don't have it...

It also occurred to me that they must spend an absurd amount of time at home because on one of her mom tips post she talks about reed diffusers and not to worry if you stop being able to smell it (because you get used to it.) I have one I got at a Goodwill (was there as Target overstock) and I am a homebody -- grad student, live alone, cook at home mostly, stay home, do work, etc -- but every single time I come home from like a few hours out, I am smacked in the face with the smell of pecan pie immediately. She must never leave...

1 hour ago, Antimony said:

It also occurred to me that they must spend an absurd amount of time at home because on one of her mom tips post she talks about reed diffusers and not to worry if you stop being able to smell it (because you get used to it.) I have one I got at a Goodwill (was there as Target overstock) and I am a homebody -- grad student, live alone, cook at home mostly, stay home, do work, etc -- but every single time I come home from like a few hours out, I am smacked in the face with the smell of pecan pie immediately. She must never leave...

Yeah, she has a post about being content at home. She also has one where she talks about being in the house without leaving for days at a stretch because of the rain. It seems horribly depressing.

Yeah, I think the kids are trapped in the house even more than Erika, because she runs errands sometimes, and does the grocery shopping.  They go to church on Sundays, but they're home by lunchtime I think.  Some of the kids go to her mother's house for a few hours once a week, and the older girls take turns shopping with her. Other than that it seems like they're in the house most of the time, except for the occasional special outing/field trip.  If they went to school at least they would have a change of scenery, but they don't even get that.  I would lose my mind.

On 12/17/2015 at 3:34 AM, Jingerbread said:

We dated only about a year.  This is part of why we broke up.  Other fundy things he was raised with also made things impossible.

I hope Erika isn't reading these posts.  She might take ice cream aw-  Oh.  She doesn't allow ice cream in the first place, right?

Giiiiiiiiiiirl, that fundie fella must have been seriously gorgeous, because a year is a long time to be breaking up bananas and buying 8-piece buckets of white meat.

Colossians 3:21  King James Version (KJV) : 21 Fathers, provoke not your children to anger, lest they be discouraged.

The NIV version says: 21 Fathers, do not embitter your children, or they will become discouraged. 

Ephesians 6:4 says: Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.    (Something is happening with the font size - sorry!)

2 minutes ago, pnwgypsy said:

I just discovered Crown College has started a cosmetology program!  Maybe Karen would be allowed to attend?????  But, it's so far from home.

http://crowntradesandtech.com/programs/#com

Maybe I'm just jaded and pessimistic, but I really doubt that Erika would allow Karen to attend a cosmetology school outside of the home. I think when Erika has mentioned that Karen hopes/plans on studying cosmetology, that she means Karen will read different books on cosmetics and hairstyling but only in a casual/non-professional sense. I think this because having Karen go out for professional education would go against two of the Shupes' prime directives: 1) The idea that only men should work outside the home, not women, and 2) Refraining from letting kids go out into the world and be tempted by the lure of sin. 

Still, I hope Erika proves me wrong. Or even better, Karen makes a run for it and goes to cosmetology school all on her own. 

33 minutes ago, defraudingjezebel said:

Maybe I'm just jaded and pessimistic, but I really doubt that Erika would allow Karen to attend a cosmetology school outside of the home. I think when Erika has mentioned that Karen hopes/plans on studying cosmetology, that she means Karen will read different books on cosmetics and hairstyling but only in a casual/non-professional sense. I think this because having Karen go out for professional education would go against two of the Shupes' prime directives: 1) The idea that only men should work outside the home, not women, and 2) Refraining from letting kids go out into the world and be tempted by the lure of sin. 

Still, I hope Erika proves me wrong. Or even better, Karen makes a run for it and goes to cosmetology school all on her own. 

I agree, there is no way she's actually going to go to cosmetology school. For one, it's expensive. 2, it's known for being worldly. Karen will study on her own, and will do hair and make-up for friends getting married, and as a ministry to people in her church.

I could see Erika doing a wicked stepmother thing to Karen- you can go to cosmetology school if you can pay for it (but you can't have a job), if you can get yourself there (but you can't learn to drive), and if your schoolwork doesn't interfere with your jobs at home (surrogate mother status).

Same thing with Melanie. 

Free the Shupe girls!

At best, Erika will let Karen do some kind of a (worthless) fundie online certificate program, like Anna Duggar's "bachelor's degree" in Christian Education, or whatever it is. Money is tight for the Shupes, though, so I don't know if they could afford it (although I don't know how the Keller's afforded it either, and I suspect the money would have been better spent on buying poor Ma Keller some new glasses).

14 hours ago, nickelodeon said:

Giiiiiiiiiiirl, that fundie fella must have been seriously gorgeous, because a year is a long time to be breaking up bananas and buying 8-piece buckets of white meat.

He wasn't, but I was in a bad place in my life, and he was moving away from being ultra-fundy, and so we were co-dependent for a while.  Eventually he decided I didn't know my place and couldn't solve all his problems, and when his family was willing to take him back if he proved to them that he was serious by hurting me since I wasn't a Christian and so didn't have feelings that matter, throwing me under a literal bus would have been less hurtful than the figurative bus he threw me under.  He's gone back to being fundy, or at least that's what I last heard.  He's off my radar.

I now enjoy biting right into my phallic bananas and sinking my teeth into juice breasts.

BLAAAH, he sounds like a terrible person! I'm glad you're in a better place now, and he can have fun avoiding eye contact with vanilla ice cream for the rest of his life.

14 hours ago, nickelodeon said: Giiiiiiiiiiirl, that fundie fella must have been seriously gorgeous, because a year is a long time to be breaking up bananas and buying 8-piece buckets of white meat.

He wasn't, but I was in a bad place in my life, and he was moving away from being ultra-fundy, and so we were co-dependent for a while.  Eventually he decided I didn't know my place and couldn't solve all his problems, and when his family was willing to take him back if he proved to them that he was serious by hurting me since I wasn't a Christian and so didn't have feelings that matter, throwing me under a literal bus would have been less hurtful than the figurative bus he threw me under.  He's gone back to being fundy, or at least that's what I last heard.  He's off my radar.

I now enjoy biting right into my phallic bananas and sinking my teeth into juice breasts.

You dodged a major bullet. It sounds really painful, but so much better than being stuck with that guy and that guy's hideous family.

10 hours ago, Jingerbread said:

The bolded is, I think, one of the hardest things to train (see what I did there? ;) ) out of men who were raised in fundie or fundie-lite situations.  It's what eventually did the first Mr. Sebastian and I in.  Even though he had become an agnostic and wasn't active in the faith any longer when we met, he just couldn't overcome the patterns that were set out by his parents and all the other influential couples in his life.  Of course it's difficult to deviate from examples that you see growing up, but I think it's compounded by the fact that the culture at large tacitly condones and upholds traditional gender roles, even apart from fundiedom.  Anyway, I'm sorry that he did that to you and I wish you the best of luck finding a person more worthy of being Mr. Bread.    

• keen23 locked this topic

Archived