IGNORED

Josiah Duggar Part 4

happy atheist

oh but @scoutsadie, Paris is MARVELLOUS! I was never that excited by it and only went for the first time a few years ago,  but  I really fell in love with it - it's wonderful in so many ways.  You'll have a magical time anyway. Eat loads of cheese and chocolate.

I feel quite emotional about London too, although I'm a bit burned out by it now. There is something in it that sort of vibrates with me. I don't know. Weirdly, I'd been living in south London for several years before my grandfather mentioned that his family had lived not too far away from there during the nineteenth century. I ended up getting an Ancestry account to look them up, and it turned out that
- they'd been Londoners since at least 1600
- their stomping ground was basically my stomping ground. I walked past several of their onetime houses every day without realising. I knew their neighbourhood so well.
- my work totally overlapped with them. They were there in the population and communities I'd been researching. It was SO WEIRD.

...so, I don't know, I can almost believe there's some kind of genetic component. But also, London is a great city.

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

On the topic of pronunciation, one that gets me is how often people pronounce Appalachian. 

Its App-uh-latch-un 

Is it really??

9 minutes ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

Is it really??

Yep, Appalachia has a very unique dialect. 

I’ve almost suppressed it, but it still comes out sometimes. Especially if I’m mad. 

1 hour ago, SportsgalAnnie said:

Yep, Appalachia has a very unique dialect. 

I’ve almost suppressed it, but it still comes out sometimes. Especially if I’m mad. 

Well, I am flabbergasted.  I would have never have guessed that was a word I was saying incorrectly.  You know sometimes you aren't certain of a pronunciation and you say it kind of hesitantly.  I've been saying "appa-lay-shun" with utter confidence for years!

2 hours ago, AprilQuilt said:

oh but @scoutsadie, Paris is MARVELLOUS! I was never that excited by it and only went for the first time a few years ago,  but  I really fell in love with it - it's wonderful in so many ways.  You'll have a magical time anyway. Eat loads of cheese and chocolate.

I feel quite emotional about London too, although I'm a bit burned out by it now. There is something in it that sort of vibrates with me. I don't know. Weirdly, I'd been living in south London for several years before my grandfather mentioned that his family had lived not too far away from there during the nineteenth century. I ended up getting an Ancestry account to look them up, and it turned out that
- they'd been Londoners since at least 1600
- their stomping ground was basically my stomping ground. I walked past several of their onetime houses every day without realising. I knew their neighbourhood so well.
- my work totally overlapped with them. They were there in the population and communities I'd been researching. It was SO WEIRD.

...so, I don't know, I can almost believe there's some kind of genetic component. But also, London is a great city.

Thanks for the enthusiasm! I am collecting ideas to get excited about; cheese and chocolate works...bread, too. (And looking forward to the antiquities at the Louvre and the Cluny Museum of the Middle Ages. And migrating birds.)

That is SO COOL about your ancestors being in south London and your discovery after living and working there. Wow.

I love learning about the provenance of certain expressions that we utter without much thought usually. In London one time, I learned that citizens were taxed based on the number of their windows.  When there you will notice many buildings with windows plastered over. Friends, I give you: Daylight Robbery.

Paris will be great, and if you truly hate it - London is just two hours via train. lol

I'm a London/UK girl through-and-through, and until our most-recent trip to Paris (in November), I wasn't sure Paris was even in my "top 3" cities in the world list. It is. It's number 3 (after London and New York).

The "th" not being pronounced in London (and East Anglia, apparently) makes me crazy:  I have free little boys! Fank you! Fings aren't right!

Here’s an unpopular opinion for you. I do not think NYC is the ‘greatest city in the world’, although I think it markets itself very well.  It isn’t even in my top ten. 

6 hours ago, Gillyweed said:

I'm from Central Jersey and exclusively say "you guys"! I

Central Jersey girl myself--and the same "you guys"....never said "youz", wasn't even on my radar :D

37 minutes ago, Fascinated said:

Here’s an unpopular opinion for you. I do not think NYC is the ‘greatest city in the world’, although I think it markets itself very well.  It isn’t even in my top ten. 

Here's an even more unpopular opinion:  I hate Chicago. HATE. It's not even in my top 100 cities. Did I say I hated it? I hate, HATE Chicago.

1 minute ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Here's an even more unpopular opinion:  I hate Chicago. HATE. It's not even in my top 100 cities. Did I say I hated it? I hate, HATE Chicago.

You did, yes.  I like Chicago. Haha. Not in top ten though. 

I love Chicago, but I'm a bit biased because I've grown up in the suburbs of it. New York is alright. I thought Paris was OK, but a bit overrated. I really enjoyed London; until recently I would have put it at #1 or #2 on my list of favorite cities. However, I spent a few months this fall studying in Cardiff (the capital city of Wales; it's roughly 3 hours west of London) and fell in love with that city. It's a lot smaller, but there's still a fair amount to do and the people are great.

2 hours ago, LilMissMetaphor said:

Well, I am flabbergasted.  I would have never have guessed that was a word I was saying incorrectly.  You know sometimes you aren't certain of a pronunciation and you say it kind of hesitantly.  I've been saying "appa-lay-shun" with utter confidence for years!

I wouldn't go so far as to say you're mispronouncing it just because you say it differently than the locals -- that's the standard pronunciation in most of the US. 

To be fair, though, it drives me crazy when people say Or-eh-GONE.  

A lot of the places where I'm from are Cherokee , it's pretty common to hear them mispronounced. Nothing gets people madder then Appalachian though. 

It's an interesting area to experience. 

Ok. Total snark alert here. And maybe this has been discussed already...

Why is Lauren's dad so red all the time? I remember him clearly being burnt in the earlier episodes when he was on the show and having sunglasses lines. Is he just hot and bothered being around his mancrush, J Boob, or does he need fundamental lessons on sunscreen?

2 hours ago, SapphireSlytherin said:

Paris will be great, and if you truly hate it - London is just two hours via train. lol

I'm a London/UK girl through-and-through, and until our most-recent trip to Paris (in November), I wasn't sure Paris was even in my "top 3" cities in the world list. It is. It's number 3 (after London and New York).

The "th" not being pronounced in London (and East Anglia, apparently) makes me crazy:  I have free little boys! Fank you! Fings aren't right!

Do you live in Norf London or Souf London? 

Also, I'm moving to London for work in free days! I'm absolutely frilled! 

Sorry, couldn't resist. 

The weirdest prononuciation pet peeve belongs to my husband. He was born and raised in Colorado. I was born here, but grew up mostly elsewhere and came back for college, where we met. He said he was happy I pronounced Colorado right. I had no idea there were different ways to pronounce it. But apparently his roommates, from Texas and California said Colo-ROD-o, while he and I (and, granted, many CO natives) say Colo-RAD-o. I never noticed the difference until he pointed it out to me. 

13 hours ago, Markie said:

Sorry, back to Josiah. Anyone else really wish the Duggars and other fundie families would only pick a couple siblings to be in their wedding party? I'd be thankful to choose my own dress and not match anyone else. The bridal parties are massive and crowded on stage. 

Getting back on topic here, I would be very interested to see if one of them ends up with a small wedding party. Personally I think they (fundies in general) try to perpetuate an image like they all grew up in such a close family and they're all best friends or something. Remember when they went to some country with a low birth rate to promote the image of large families in one of the early seasons? The families that I see active on Facebook always come across like they're trying to convince you how happy and close they all are.

1 hour ago, Runningfromreality said:

The weirdest prononuciation pet peeve belongs to my husband. He was born and raised in Colorado. I was born here, but grew up mostly elsewhere and came back for college, where we met. He said he was happy I pronounced Colorado right. I had no idea there were different ways to pronounce it. But apparently his roommates, from Texas and California said Colo-ROD-o, while he and I (and, granted, many CO natives) say Colo-RAD-o. I never noticed the difference until he pointed it out to me. 

I'm from Texas, and definitely say Colo-ROD-o... I've noticed the difference before. but not enough to really pay attention to who says it how, lol

@Runningfromreality, in the movie The Unsinkable Molly Brown, Harve Presnell sings Colorado, My Home and says the name of the state as Colo-rad-do.  It's such a beautiful song and the scenery where he sings it in the film is spectacular that I always thought that it would have made  great state song.

ETA: video of Harve in Molly Brown

I'm with @Caskett4ever on the Chicago thing.  I grew up in the suburbs and I've lived in various neighborhoods in the city itself for 5-6 years now.  The longer I spend in the city, the more I fall in love with it.

Chicago is in my top 10. I hate Los Angeles. That's really the only city I hate, although I'm indifferent to many, including Paris and New York. Now I feel bad saying that I hate LA. Every city has something to offer. 

• laPapessaGiovanna locked this topic

Archived