IGNORED

Spurgeon? Jessa's Poor Baby Part 2

happy atheist

a persons name he is an author so i dont mind sharing his name is campbell jefferys. goes by Cam though but is also one of these names that could work the other way around. 

I know a girl whose married surname is one of those names which can be either first name or last name.  I was amazed that she called two or her three sons names which can be either first or last names. Personally I would have picked names that were distinctly first names, to save them a lifetime of confusion.  

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know a girl whose married surname is one of those names which can be either first name or last name.  I was amazed that she called two or her three sons names which can be either first or last names. Personally I would have picked names that were distinctly first names, to save them a lifetime of confusion.  

one of his novels features a person called dixon grace. she encounters the same problem with the police xD

one of his novels features a person called dixon grace. she encounters the same problem with the police xD

Dixon Grace? That's really backwards.

I have 3 first names.  The difficulties when asked "what is your last name" get old by around age 8 I think, but what can you do.  At least my first name is also clearly a first name.  I hadn't realized how lucky I am. :D 

oh, I was asking about how you do uterine massage after birth. I've never given birth so I was wondering how how it was done.

They put both hands on your abdomen and push with all their might. Massage makes it sound more gentle than it is. You uterus is meant to drop to belly button height and go hard straight after birth. If it stays soft you will bleed too much. They can feel it through your abdomen.

So, now that I've had a few days to process the name choice:

I'm just glad that Jessa and Spurgeon made it through the birth ok. In the grand scheme of things, the name isn't overly important when compared to the fact that Jessa could have died delivering him. The name still isn't one I like, but my opinion doesn't really matter. As long as she and baby Quincy are healthy that's all that really counts.

That is all.

Absolutely. As soon as that kid learns how to talk, it's happening! Reminds me of a video that was viral in my country like ten years ago, "Crazy Preacher Girl

god that child's voice really hurt my ears  (btw what is up with some of these preachers shouting or making these overdramatic gestures when speaking about god)

another note: is there any way to find a translation what she is saying, I tried to translate with my bad portuguese but in the end I gave up ( all though I used some of my spanish knowledge to help me in some part to sorta guide what she could have said) 

I hope Jessa will remember how bad she wanted that epidural the next time. I remember when Anna was in labor w/M2-the camera caught her saying, no, I can't do this anymore, I want to go.." & they cut off. I'll bet that's been cut out of the tape now. And I'm pretty sure there was a midwife there w/Jessa. Jill wouldn't let her do this w/o one. They just wanted to give the impression THEY did the whole thing & someone had to be there that knew the "uterus is clamping down, now." I've had to massage many a uterus for that very reason & it isn't something these 4 women would know offhand, uneducated as they are. I'm sure the MW didn't want to find herself in the middle of this clusterf**k, that's for darned sure.

And Ben...he's 20. Did you all know that boys' brains are not fully formed until they are at least 25?! Would you let a kid name your child?? No, b/c you'd get "Spurgeon." Dollars to donuts they end up calling him Elliot.

I get a kick out of Jessa saying Ben had to step out of the room when the baby was born. He was prob. nauseous as hell.

I remember the one episode where Michelle was birthing one of the J-spawn, and the camera showed her breathily saying in her best baby voice "Praise Jesus" when she was on the downward swing of a contraction. I'd bet you anything that she was cussing Jim Bob every which way to Tuesday when the cameras were off, or at the very least, giving him a lot of passive-aggressive crap while being in a lot of pain. 

I remember the one episode where Michelle was birthing one of the J-spawn, and the camera showed her breathily saying in her best baby voice "Praise Jesus" when she was on the downward swing of a contraction. I'd bet you anything that she was cussing Jim Bob every which way to Tuesday when the cameras were off, or at the very least, giving him a lot of passive-aggressive crap while being in a lot of pain. 

My favorite Michelle in labor moment was when they still hadn't left for the hospital, and Jim Bob asked, "So how do you feel," and Michelle responded with barely an attempt at baby voice and the fakest smile ever, "It feels.... like I'm having a baby." Her tone and her face!  You could practically see the thought bubble over her head with the words, "Shut the fuck up you stupid asshole."

r Four is not permitted to call me "momma". I am not his mother. Neither do I call him "daddy". Ew, just Ew. When I speak of Mr. Four to the children,  I call him "your father"..  My dad is "Dad" and has been such since I was about 8. I am careful to call him "dad" to differentiate from  grandkids and great grandkids who call him "Pap". And please, NEVER call ME "mom" unless you are one of the Four. I really despise being called "Mom" by people who are too lazy to call me "Mrs. Four." Even "One of Four's Mom" would be a better descriptor.  (Mom, or Mother, is deceased, and hasn't been Mommy for years.)

god that child's voice really hurt my ears  (btw what is up with some of these preachers shouting or making these overdramatic gestures when speaking about god)

another note: is there any way to find a translation what she is saying, I tried to translate with my bad portuguese but in the end I gave up ( all though I used some of my spanish knowledge to help me in some part to sorta guide what she could have said) 

Some of the words in the subtitles were written like she spoke them (Jesus as "Jesuis", Conselheiro as Conselero, etc) and funny ways, so that's probably why! Haha :pb_biggrin: I don't know if there's a translation... In one part she says something like "God is like a hen embracing her little chicks"lol

Jill claimed the exact same thing.

Isn't being a wife and mother their ONLY purpose in life? Weird.

I read the article in People (at my hairdressers) and that quote was taken at the interview time (3 days after his birth). So, by a week out, she may have changed a few diapers.

My favorite Michelle in labor moment was when they still hadn't left for the hospital, and Jim Bob asked, "So how do you feel," and Michelle responded with barely an attempt at baby voice and the fakest smile ever, "It feels.... like I'm having a baby." Her tone and her face!  You could practically see the thought bubble over her head with the words, "Shut the fuck up you stupid asshole."

I remember in one where she was ready to go but she was waiting on JB to get ready and get his breakfast. She did look a bit annoyed (rightfully so!) 

I remember in one where she was ready to go but she was waiting on JB to get ready and get his breakfast. She did look a bit annoyed (rightfully so!) 

I remember that. I couldn't believe it. What an uncaring asshole. 

r Four is not permitted to call me "momma". I am not his mother. Neither do I call him "daddy". Ew, just Ew. When I speak of Mr. Four to the children,  I call him "your father"..  My dad is "Dad" and has been such since I was about 8. I am careful to call him "dad" to differentiate from  grandkids and great grandkids who call him "Pap". And please, NEVER call ME "mom" unless you are one of the Four. I really despise being called "Mom" by people who are too lazy to call me "Mrs. Four." Even "One of Four's Mom" would be a better descriptor.  (Mom, or Mother, is deceased, and hasn't been Mommy for years.)

When one spouse calls the other spouse "Mama" or "Daddy" or any variation of this creeps me out. Sure, when I'm talking to the kids I'll tell them to "go ask Dad." But I don't CALL him "Dad."

The other day I was in another room and I heard my parents call each other "mom" and "dad" when they were talking just to each other. I asked them later if they call each other mom and dad when they were talking to each other and they laughed and said they didn't mean to. When they first became parents they even promised each other that they wouldn't call each other mom and dad because they didn't like when other people talked that way, but it's a habit that's easy to fall into.

I guess, I'm finding myself in an awkward position of having to defend a Duggar choice for a first time delivery at home with a midwife (and I'm thinking that she DID have a licensed midwife in attendance).  Sure, Jill waited a REALLY long time to go to the hospital, but I don't think it's fair to lump Jessa's post birth bleeding into that same category.  It could easily have happened at a hospital or birthing center and does happen at hospitals/birthing centers and sometimes the effects are just as dangerous. And, they did appropriately and in a timely manner call 911. And even DQ's baby voice--though really annoying--was probably an effort to maintain control of the situation and reduce panic.

Wow-- I just complimented DQ.  Time to switch to another thread, so I can get some balance.

For me, it seems like Jessa did not get good prenatal care to make an informed decision about if home birth would be safe for her.

I agree with you 100%. I personally want to have my future children in a hospital, mostly because I am a very anxious person who wants the comfort knowing a NICU is nearby. However, I would never judge someone for having a home birth. As long as it's done safely, the mother is close enough to a hospital, and the pregnancy isn't considered to be high risk. 

I hear what you are saying about not judging someone who does it safely, and that is where I worry about the Duggar girls.  I don't think DQ or JB thinks about their safety, its about birthing the Gothard way.  2 bad home births in a row makes me question their prenatal care and if they had real qualified medical advice on if home birth was a safe option for them.

The other day I was in another room and I heard my parents call each other "mom" and "dad" when they were talking just to each other. I asked them later if they call each other mom and dad when they were talking to each other and they laughed and said they didn't mean to. When they first became parents they even promised each other that they wouldn't call each other mom and dad because they didn't like when other people talked that way, but it's a habit that's easy to fall into.

I called MrSnazzy "Dad" one day, during a conversation between the two of us. It made me feel sooooooooo old. My grandparents called each other "Mum" and "Dad", and my almost in their 80's inlaws, call each other "mom" and "dad". MrSnazzy proceeded to make fun of me, and asked if we were going to start wearing matching and/or coordinating outfits now (which my grandparents and inlaws, also do).

In my shaky defense, I spend so much time, telling my kids "your dad this", "your dad that", or "go bug your dad", that I think it just slipped right on out.

When our first was born, it never occurred to us to use mom & Dad. One day in the grocery store, She was about a year old & she goes, "TOM?! Where Tom?" My hubby was in another isle. After that she started calling me Rachel. It was funny. Somewhere around 3 she started calling us mommy & daddy. We didn't say, I'm mom, he's dad, she just picked it up.

IIRC, Women planning a midwife delivery are required to be seen by an OB 4x during their pregnancy. That's why I find it odd that the girls didn't know they were having such huge babies. Of course, this is the sticks.

When our first was born, it never occurred to us to use mom & Dad. One day in the grocery store, She was about a year old & she goes, "TOM?! Where Tom?" My hubby was in another isle. After that she started calling me Rachel. It was funny. Somewhere around 3 she started calling us mommy & daddy. We didn't say, I'm mom, he's dad, she just picked it up.

IIRC, Women planning a midwife delivery are required to be seen by an OB 4x during their pregnancy. That's why I find it odd that the girls didn't know they were having such huge babies. Of course, this is the sticks.

Sometimes you just can't tell. My sister's friend had a daughter earlier this year. They were told multiple times she was going to be a pretty big baby and they almost did a C-Section on her because of that. Turns out, she was (and still is) a tiny little peanut. And this was a woman who went to a good OBGYN and did all the mandatory scans and testing.

Around here, unless you are measuring weird or you are very late you most likely won't get another ultrasound after your 20 week one is done. Assuming everything is measuring fine, even if she was measuring a couple weeks ahead, it wouldn't indicate that the baby was larger than normal. I had a baby that was 8lbs 11 oz, so one pound smaller than Jessa's, and besides needing to be induced (my situation was eerily similar to Jill's, even due in the same month, but mine was handled better) I didn't have any problems myself.

tumblr_ncow7kOlOE1smr45to1_500.gif

I'm just here for the dragging tbh

I like to keep the peace, in general. Anyone who has seen my posts since I've joined, can clearly see that. 

In this situation, I see a problem and I'm calling it out. We're all adults, here. If you're going to be petty and awful, at least own it with conviction, or apologize. But if you're going to be petty and awful and then go hide, hoping everyone forgets, I have no respect for that. @JenniferJuniper

I didn't have a lot of ultrasounds with my kids.

With DS1, I had a "dating" u/s (because I couldn't remember when my last period was), a 20 week u/s, and one towards the end, because my uterus was measuring wonky.

With DS1, I only had thre, my 20 week one, and a 3D one that I got at one of those u/s boutiques, and one towards the end of my pregnancy.

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived