IGNORED

Spurgeon? Jessa's Poor Baby Part 2

happy atheist

I am so glad you said that. I'm 24 and not from the south, but whenever I go shopping with my mom and say, "Momma, look at this," or "Did daddy go to the car?" people give me the weirdest looks. My husband thinks I'm looney. Others have told me that if you're over 18, "daddy" is a purely sexual term. And I think that's super weird. 

Not from the south, to me calling your parents mommy and daddy as an adult sounds infantalizing (to the person saying it). But it's just a location thing. My parents have been mom and dad since I was like 5.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favorite Michelle in labor moment was when they still hadn't left for the hospital, and Jim Bob asked, "So how do you feel," and Michelle responded with barely an attempt at baby voice and the fakest smile ever, "It feels.... like I'm having a baby." Her tone and her face!  You could practically see the thought bubble over her head with the words, "Shut the fuck up you stupid asshole."

:pb_lol: Do you happen to remember which baby she was in labor with? Because I seriously need to watch this.

Not from the south, to me calling your parents mommy and daddy as an adult sounds infantalizing (to the person saying it). But it's just a location thing. My parents have been mom and dad since I was like 5.

Same. My dad never indulged in the whole "daddy's little girl" thing. I would be really impressed if someone met my dad and decided a good name for him would be "daddy." It's impossible for me to think of calling him daddy with a straight face.

I don't think I ever called him daddy in my entire life, even when I was little. I also don't think my siblings did. My sister called him "Dah" as a little kid so we followed suit. Even my mom would call him Dah sometimes. "Where's Dah?"

Also, I could be biased because I feel like every bratty girl I ever knew called her dad Daddy and still does as an adult. As in, "Daddy gave me his credit card" ugh. :my_sick:

I'm not going to bother to name names, but some of you post nazis need to get a grip on your phony outrage.

My entire point was and remains that parents need to choose names carefully.

1)  They are for life. (unless your child decides to change it in adulthood after s/he has had enough of your personal indulgence's impact on his/her life.)

2) Fact.  Overly cute or totally made-up names are often not taken seriously in the workplace.  Why would anyone want to do that to their child?   No one has yet answered this question.

3)  Somehow these little factoids have resulted in me and others being accused of being racist.

Newsflash!  People of all races are guilty of sabotaging their kids' futures with ridiculous names.  (Case in point -  the title of this very thread. And a percentage of people who had hippy parents in the 60's.)    

The company I work for is always looking to actively recruit minorities and so I know for a fact they are not screening out people who may have names that indicate a minority culture or race.  But, as I have said in prior posts, if your name is Rainbow, or Heistheway  or Elmo, you are far less likely to be taken seriously in the face of stiff competition.  

Is it really so hard to grasp this?  And is anyone willing to answer the question in bold?

Maybe you're still catching up on this thread? /sarcasm--I know you're reading because you already downvoted iweartanktops6 on this page! :pearlclutching:

The topic has evolved, and at least two members have noticed and commented on your downvotes against @iweartanktops6 and @lascuba. It's very interesting to me that you haven't downvoted any of my comments. Am I included in the nazi group? I'm beginning to feel a little bit excluded...

Since I don't know why you haven't downvoted me yet, I'm just gonna go ahead and infer that it's because I'm white. There. I said it. I mean, I've been pretty assertive, I think, and @batuityma maybe thinks I'm a big old meanie, so where are my downvotes?

Maybe you're still catching up on this thread? /sarcasm--I know you're reading because you already downvoted iweartanktops6 on this page! :pearlclutching:

The topic has evolved, and at least two members have noticed and commented on your downvotes against @iweartanktops6 and @lascuba. It's very interesting to me that you haven't downvoted any of my comments. Am I included in the nazi group? I'm beginning to feel a little bit excluded...

Since I don't know why you haven't downvoted me yet, I'm just gonna go ahead and infer that it's because I'm white. There. I said it. I mean, I've been pretty assertive, I think, and @batuityma maybe thinks I'm a big old meanie, so where are my downvotes?

"I don't care what color you are1!!!1!!"

Same. My dad never indulged in the whole "daddy's little girl" thing. I would be really impressed if someone met my dad and decided a good name for him would be "daddy." It's impossible for me to think of calling him daddy with a straight face.

I don't think I ever called him daddy in my entire life, even when I was little. I also don't think my siblings did. My sister called him "Dah" as a little kid so we followed suit. Even my mom would call him Dah sometimes. "Where's Dah?"

Also, I could be biased because I feel like every bratty girl I ever knew called her dad Daddy and still does as an adult. As in, "Daddy gave me his credit card" ugh. :my_sick:

I call my parents Mama and Daddy or Da, just because I always have.  I'm their youngest and they are my parents, I don't see how my age should change any of that.  My headship thinks its weird, I don't care, I've called them that for 31 years, its not likely to change.  

"I don't care what color you are1!!!1!!"

"Purple? Orange? Green? Banana? It doesn't matter! I don't see color anyway. Can't we all just get along? We're all humans!"

I call my parents Mama and Daddy or Da, just because I always have.  I'm their youngest and they are my parents, I don't see how my age should change any of that.  My headship thinks its weird, I don't care, I've called them that for 31 years, its not likely to change.  

I guess it's a different mindset. When my dad got old enough, he started calling his parents by their first names. My brother started doing it as a joke, and we joke about it to each other by calling them by their first names, but now it seems like he's starting to do it unironically. And some of my cousins call their parents by their first names now that they are adults.

Also my husband has mentioned that he can't see himself ever being called "Dad" and he calls both his parents by their first names about as often as he calls them Mom and Pop. He's mentioned he just wants our future kids to call him by his first name as well.

Dah, reminds me of Ryan's Hope. Are you Irish?

"Purple? Orange? Green? Banana? It doesn't matter! I don't see color anyway. Can't we all just get along? We're all humans!"

*conveniently downvotes all dissenting Bananas by sheer coincidence, not b/c of banana bias*

:banana-dance:

Dah, reminds me of Ryan's Hope. Are you Irish?

my mom's side is, but the story is that my sister just couldn't say "dad"

it's also possible my mom coached her because that's what they all said as babies too, but i'm not sure.

:pb_lol: Do you happen to remember which baby she was in labor with? Because I seriously need to watch this.

Not sure, since all the younger kids sort of blend in my mind. I want to say it was the birth before Jordyn, because I remember another snippy moment during Jordyn's birth when JB said, "Here comes Jordyn Makiya!" and Michelle said--looking really annoyed--said, "Jordyn GRACE Makiya," and that was after the birth I'm thinking of but also after the show/specials had been on the air for a while.

Seriously, when Michelle's in labor I can almost imagine her as someone capable of having a genuinely good time without the affected Jesus talk.

my mom's side is, but the story is that my sister just couldn't say "dad"

it's also possible my mom coached her because that's what they all said as babies too, but i'm not sure.

Cute. My boys were supposed to call my parents Grammy and Pop Pop, but one started talking and every time we asked him to say "Grammy" he said "Biggie" ...so my parents ended up being Biggie and Pop Pop which I think are the funniest grandparent names out there.

I guess it's a different mindset. When my dad got old enough, he started calling his parents by their first names. My brother started doing it as a joke, and we joke about it to each other by calling them by their first names, but now it seems like he's starting to do it unironically. And some of my cousins call their parents by their first names now that they are adults.

Also my husband has mentioned that he can't see himself ever being called "Dad" and he calls both his parents by their first names about as often as he calls them Mom and Pop. He's mentioned he just wants our future kids to call him by his first name as well.

My husband calls his parents by their first names, and has for years.  I don't know, it would be odd to me to do the same.  

It is possible I'm a bit spoiled, but I think it just depends on the way each family handles it, and the relationships involved.  

Cute. My boys were supposed to call my parents Grammy and Pop Pop, but one started talking and every time we asked him to say "Grammy" he said "Biggie" ...so my parents ended up being Biggie and Pop Pop which I think are the funniest grandparent names out there.

Hilarious and so cute! :pb_biggrin:

I wanted to name our youngest Harmony but my DH thought it was a little too "bohemian."

There was a little girl in my youngest's K4 class named Harmony.  She is a really sweet child.

I am from the south, and I called my dad "Deddy" when I was little and occasionally as a greeting.  "Hey, Deddy!".  I don't call my dad anything anymore, because he died a few years ago at the young age of 59.  Mom was momma when I was young, and now she is either mom, mother, or my sister's mother, depending on the circumstances.  Occasionally, I do call her momma still.  Especially when I am trying to pull something out of the old memory vault.  "Momma, tell me again how you make the topping for your sweet potato soufflé.".

ETA Souffle and take out casserole

that is adorable. both my parents said they are too young to be called grandma and grandpa, and I can't see either of them fitting those names, so I have no idea what my kids will call them. since all of my grandparents passed away when i was young or before i was born, we refer to the grandparents by their first name.

This also comes from the family where we don't say Aunt Susan, we just call her Susan. Or if someone else has the same name, we use a qualifier. Like Big Susan or Baby Susan or Little Susan as the case may be since we have a very large irish, catholic family with many people named the same thing.

All this being said, I still call my parents mom and dad, even though sometimes I jokingly call them by their first names. I could never do it seriously. I think it's fun to see all the different ways people refer to their parents.

My grandmother wanted to be called "Grammy" but I messed that up and called her "Mammy." I wasn't even the first grandchild but I guess I was influential enough that all the other grandchildren followed suit.

My parents are just mom and dad to me and the siblings near my age, but my youngest siblings call my mom "mama" and we have no idea where that came from. It's something they seem to just have started doing on their own.

perhaps the five downvotes per day are used up?

i could downvote you if you want so you don't feel all left out. :D

":pb_lol: Do you happen to remember which baby she was in labor with? Because I seriously need to watch this."

I'm pretty sure it was #15, in "14 kids & pregnant again."

Okay so I know we are a few pages off, but I thought of a hilarious new title for the next thread

"A Spurgeon by any other name would be as smug"

I wonder if Spurgie has had a well baby visit and his "little operation." Or don't fundies do that.

So, I am out of town at a conference for 5 days, and 36 pages!!! There is no way I can ever read all of this. 

Just wanted to add my thoughts to the name - 

Seriously, I understand wanting to give your child a name that has meaning to you, but as a parent you are supposed to keep your child's best interests before you. This name is nothing but a smug attempt at loudly proclaiming how righteous they are. Elliot Spurgeon would have been a perfectly nice name, many people have a last name for a middle name. But, then most people don't use a child's middle name on a regular basis, and their "righteousness" wouldn't be so obvious to all. 

I'm Jewish, so maybe she'll down vote me since apparently nazis are no big deal. But I'm also white, so maybe not.

I was also supposed to be "Grammy", but first grand called me MayMay, so that was that :my_shy:

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived