IGNORED

Mallys and Bright Lights and Weddings

clueliss

That harp fared extraordinarily well though. That particular brand (Camac) makes their harp columns out of carbon fiber painted to look like wood, and the bulbous wood bits at the top and bottom of the column are decorative. Clearly it's had quite a knock and I'd be interested to see a few other pictures, particularly the neck and the interior of the soundboard. But all in all I'm impressed, the harp still looks like a reasonably playable instrument when a crash like that could have easily left them with a $20,000 pile of strings.

• Upvote 6
  • Thank You 1

On 4/2/2018 at 8:41 PM, Gobsmacked said:

Grace reminds me of the girl who dances in  PJs in her post-it filled bedroom first thing every morning. Sorry I can't remember her name. 

Is that a bad thing?  I don't know the girl you're talking about, but dancing around the bedroom in the morning sounds nice.

• Upvote 1

On 3/27/2018 at 3:01 AM, JermajestyDuggar said:

Thank you. I really thought she was mid 30s like the other SAHD Sarah Maxwell.

Don't you know the rules by now? Never guess a fundy's age without doing this:

@Bethella I summon the magic spreadsheet!

• Haha 9

On 4/2/2018 at 11:53 PM, Anonymousguest said:

I was going to say the same thing! But I also couldn't think of her name, lol.

I can't remember her name either, but she also had that kind of voice and was annoying for Jesus. 

• Upvote 3

On 3/27/2018 at 5:54 PM, luv2laugh said:

Sarah is very pretty. I’m really surprised that she has not married.

My theory is that anyone who marries Sarah has to put up with Grace as a SIL so they run fast and furious and far away.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

Sorry, I'm at work! I'll check when I get home.

• Thank You 1

17 hours ago, Flossie said:

Is that a bad thing?  I don't know the girl you're talking about, but dancing around the bedroom in the morning sounds nice.

Emma Mae Jenkins. We had a thread on her but it seems to have disappeared? She had a viral video about her super enthusiastic, super godly morning routine, and as a night owl it makes me want to hide under the blankets, lol.

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 4

5 hours ago, nelliebelle1197 said:

:laughing-rolling: The spreadsheet may be magic but it isn't omniscient (the Mallys weren't included until about 30 minutes ago). But having done some digging: Sarah is 39, Stephen is 32 (33 later this month), and Grace is 29.

• Haha 3
  • Thank You 2

11 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Emma Mae Jenkins. We had a thread on her but it seems to have disappeared? She had a viral video about her super enthusiastic, super godly morning routine, and as a night owl it makes me want to hide under the blankets, lol.

Thank you! I couldn't think of her name and searched all sorts of crazy phrases trying to find the thread about her. Can you imagine sticking her and Grace in the same room?!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Emma Mae's hidden in the Girl Defined thread.  

@Flossie, dancing around the bedroom first thing in the morning may be nice for some but Emma overdoes the enthusiasm.   ;)

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

Does anyone remember the accident Barbara Mandrel got into? She has said she knew they all needed to wear seatbelts that day and made her family wear them. If they hadn't like always, they would be dead. 

So are the malleys more special because god saved them and didn't need to tell them to wear them?

• Upvote 6

Is there any possibility of a citation being issued for failure to wear seat belts? I kind of assume no at this point but I am curious. 

• Upvote 1

Enforcement of seatbelt use varies by state (thanks Wikipedia) so I think it probably depends on where they are/were. 

I had awful visions of what could have happened if the harp had flown forwards in the crash 

• Upvote 5

I think generally if there were kids under 18 without them on, the driver would be cited. The seatbelt fiasco is a symptom of a phenomenon I've seen mainly in the Charismatic circle with people of varying degrees of fundy, but not limited to people like the Mallys. People will make poor decisions, unsafe decisions, selfish decisions, but when they land with their ass in the butter it's because they are special to God. I am not saying I'm not glad they're safe, and I am not saying God wasn't there, but a lot of these Chrisiand out there who think they have some sort of spiritual superiority fail to recognize the difference between a miracle, and being lucky. Things could have gone really bad even wih seatbelts - THAT's when it makes sense to praise your higher power. But when your own intentional neglect is at fault - maybe just stay humble. 

• Upvote 10

13 hours ago, Pecansforeveryone said:

Is there any possibility of a citation being issued for failure to wear seat belts? I kind of assume no at this point but I am curious. 

Probably not at this point, although it may have happened and they just failed to mention it. They definitely will do it; the police informed my s-i-l they were citing her while she was being treated in the emergency room and her soon was being wheeled into surgery. 

• Upvote 4

If they cite for seat belts, it would be at the time of the accident just as they would for speeding, or other infractions.

• Upvote 4

Dear Friends,

Greetings from the Mally family and Bright Lights staff! A lot has been happening recently in our family and ministry: a near-death accident, a new book completed, and much being placed on our 2018 schedule!  

“I will praise You, O LORD, with my whole heart; I will tell of all Your marvelous works. I will be glad and rejoice in You; I will sing praise to Your name, O Most High” (Psalm 9:1-2).

Serious Van Wreck  by Grace Mally

Our family almost died a few weeks ago on a trip home from Chicago. We are amazed to be alive.

The five of us were together, traveling home from a great-aunt’s funeral. We were having a nice family time in the van, laughing at old stories. The weather had just changed, and had become a mix of rain and snow, but it didn’t seem especially dangerous. But it was more slick than we thought, and while passing a semi, we began to fishtail.

“Oh no,” I heard. We were losing control.

I peered up from the second bench where I had been lying down, and saw the front of our van hit the side of the semi we had been passing. The impact of hitting that semi sent our van violently into the grassy median, and I saw that we were now headed towards the gleaming lights of oncoming traffic. All of a sudden things felt really out of control (we were rolling, but I didn’t realize it at the time), and I heard the loud noise of the van roof crunching in on top of us. I yelled, “Jesus, protect us!” and tried to prepare myself, thinking I was about to feel a ton of pain, and we all might die. However, after a few seconds, we were stopped by the side of the road, and I didn’t feel the pain I had been anticipating.

“I’m okay!” I said, surprised.
“I’m okay,” my dad responded.
“I’m okay,” Sarah echoed.
“I’m in pain,” my mom said.

Just hearing her voice was a relief, but she was holding her stomach, and her shirt was getting bloody. She was not able to answer questions very well or identify the location of the pain.

Stephen was already on the phone with 911.

I looked around to get my bearings. We had been going west, but now we were on the far side of the east-bound lanes of the interstate.

Here’s what had happened: We had rolled over the cable separation barrier and landed right side up in oncoming traffic. When Stephen (the driver) refocused his eyes on the road after that roll, he saw the oncoming traffic about to hit us, and he thought we were all going to die. However, the momentum kept us moving and we skidded across both lanes of traffic. Once Stephen saw we were on the shoulder, he stepped on the brake. He was shocked that we survived.

Back to my mom. She seemed a little faint and couldn’t answer questions very well, but she indicated the pain was subsiding. She was taken to the ER and later I learned that the blood was actually just from a cut on her hand. There was an initial fear of internal bleeding, but the CT scan showed her internal organs were okay. She does have a fractured shoulder, though, and bruised internal organs. The hospital kept her overnight but she is now at home recovering.

While we were on the side of the road, we looked over and saw our cooler in the median. Apparently, it flew out while we rolled, along with other things. Almost all the van windows shattered and even our big harp was part way out the window. We do not have an explanation for how my mom, Sarah, and I (who were not wearing seat belts) did not also fly out the window, except for the Lord’s protecting hand. My mom was right next to the cooler, and she was even leaning against the window when we rolled.

Mom and Dad were very happy to be reunited, and we were all relieved Mom wasn’t worse. It is an unbearable thought to consider all the things that could have (and, realistically speaking, should have) happened.

The hospital chaplain told us, “I’ve been working here for five years, and you are the first trauma accident where all the people have lived to tell about it.”

I questioned her, confused. I mean, we all know that many survive car accidents. She explained that she only gets called for the serious accidents. And in situations like ours, we were the first family in five years that all survived.

As you can imagine, we were all pretty emotionally shaken. I remember sitting with Stephen in the waiting room, waiting to hear how Mom was.
“Did you think we were going to die?” I asked him.
“Yeah. I thought we were going to die,” he said, his eyes welling up with tears.
The next few days were filled with emotion for all of us. Two days later, my dad was preaching the sermon at church and took the first 15 minutes of his sermon to tell about our accident. It was hard for him to get through it.

Through all the grateful tears, we also have an increased compassion for those that do experience great loss in these kinds of accidents.

Praise God, the van structure held up well enough during the roll that the roof didn’t crunch in further.

Sarah’s neck was very sore, and the next day at the junk yard, Detective Stephen discovered a clue as to why her neck hurt so much: a large chunk of her hair was caught in the ceiling of the van.

She must have hit her head on the ceiling as we rolled. Thankfully, the soreness is subsiding.

Now our harp…. it didn’t do so well! The top is shattered and the neck has several cracks. We’re grateful it was insured, but even if it wasn’t, it hardly feels like it matters. We’re alive.

On Sunday afternoon I sat down at our kitchen table with my Bible. It fell open to Psalm 116. I looked down at the verses and read these words: “For You have rescued my soul from death, my eyes from tears, my feet from stumbling. I shall walk before the LORD in the land of the living” (Psalm 116:8-9). The whole chapter was amazingly appropriate. (Amazing how no matter the disaster, there’s a Psalm that will fit.:-))

Right after the accident, when I realized my family was alive, I felt such thankfulness to God that it was hard to express. It was this feeling of, “What could I ever do for You, Lord, to thank you for this?!”

Yet, that Friday night rescue wasn’t the biggest deliverance that the Lord had accomplished for me. The much bigger gift was when He died on the cross to rescue me and my family not just from earthly death, but from eternal death in Hell. Isaac Watts put it well when he wrote, “Love so amazing, so divine, demands my soul, my life, my all.”

My dad shared later about a conversation he had with the Lord in the quiet hours of the night at the hospital. He wrote, “I was frustrated because I couldn’t find enough words to adequately thank the Lord that we all survived. Instead of being distraught with grief over one or two or three deaths, I was overjoyed that all we lost were ‘things’ and that everyone was still alive. But I couldn’t find the words to express thanks to the Lord. It wasn’t enough to just say ‘thank you.’ Nor was it adequate, of course, to say, ‘I’m really thankful.’ In fact, if I attached all the greatest adjectives I could think of to enhance the thank you, it would still not be close to satisfactory to express how I felt. My thankfulness to the Lord was beyond measure and beyond words. How would I ever express it to Him? Yet the bigger question is: how could I adequately thank Him for our spiritual salvation?!”

The Lord has provided for us in countless ways. Our church family and so many others have showered us with love and met all our needs. We have yet one more reason to owe our lives to Jesus. And we are reminded that He is able to easily rescue from any danger until He says it’s time to come Home.

Sarah’s New Book Available: Speak Truth in Your Heart

We have seen many answers to prayer in bringing Sarah’s book to completion, and we are praying that the Lord will use it to impact many lives! It is available on our online store for $12.00 (normal retail $15.00), with bulk pricing options also.

Many girls try to change their wrong actions, but never learn to discern the wrong thinking behind the actions. Sarah challenges girls to identify lies which are root issues behind struggles they face. Including thought-provoking cartoons, stories, biblical teaching, and practical steps of action, this book teaches girls to replace lies with the truth and align their thinking with God’s Word. When a young lady learns to speak truth TO herself, she is planting her feet upon an unshakable foundation that will resist even the most powerful attacks of the enemy. She will see how God’s Word will transform each area of her life as the truth sets her free!

“Years ago, as a young adult facing a lifetime of quadriplegia, I fell prey to many cultural lies. Speaking God’s truth to myself made all the difference between life and death. This is why I give a double thumbs-up to Sarah Mally’s new book. Powerful and practical, it will explain not only the value of biblical truth, but how to weave God’s truth into every fiber of your being.”
- Joni Eareckson Tada, Joni and Friends International Disability Center

Online Resource of the Month: Exploring Series
This month we are offering 30% off the “Exploring” creation series of seven disciplines of science. Explore “Planet Earth,” “The History of Medicine,” “The World Around You,” “The World of Astronomy,” “The World of Chemistry,” “The World of Mathematics,” or “The World of Physics” through these excellent books which teach science from a biblical perspective, honoring God as the Creator. These books are recommended for all ages, but are specifically written for the junior high level. They give the reader a wonderful, foundational summary of each of these disciplines of science. They also work well for unit studies. This offer will be honored on our online store through May 31st or while supply lasts. At checkout, use promocode: exploring2018

Schedule
As you plan your 2018 schedule, please note that we now have several Bright Lights conferences in place. We will also highlight a few evangelism training events.

Tulip Time Outreach, Pella, Iowa (May 3-5th, 2018) A friend of ours is beginning a new outreach in Pella, Iowa, during Tulip Time. Last year about 30 volunteers came to help, and we enjoyed a fruitful time of passing out gospel tracts and engaging people in conversations. This year a few witnessing training sessions will be taught by Tony Ramsek (from Answers in Genesis) and Allen Atzbi (from Living Waters) each morning before the outreach. To see more info and register (free), click here.

Testify Camp, Des Moines, Iowa (August 9-13, 2018) This year will be our third annual evangelism training camp. Last year’s group of attendees was about twice as large as 2016, and we were very encouraged by the uplifting and sharpening fellowship. The Lord worked in some very exciting ways as we engaged unbelievers in gospel conversations, and we rejoiced and praised God together each evening as we told stories from the day! We look forward to seeing what He is going to do at the 2018 camp. More info coming soon.

Upcoming Schedule

April 13-14, Intelligent Faith Conference (Cedar Rapids, Iowa)

April 20-22, Turkey Hill Bible Camp Girls’ Retreat (Vienna, MO)

May 3-5, Tulip Time Evangelistic Outreach (Pella, Iowa)

May 17-19, INCH (Michigan Homeschool Conference) (Lansing, Michigan)

May 31-June 2, Homeschool Iowa Conference (NICHE) (Coralville, Iowa)

July 10-11, Strong in the Lord Conference (Cedar Rapids, Iowa)

July 13-14, Speak Truth in Your Heart Conference (Cedar Rapids, Iowa)

July 20-21, Speak Truth in Your Heart Conference (Bellefontaine, Ohio)

August 3-4, FIBANA Conference (Dallas, TX)

August 9-13, Testify Camp (Des Moines, Iowa)

If you’d like to see more pictures from our accident, Grace has several more on her blog post about it.

May the Lord bless you and your families!

The Mally Family and Bright Lights Staff, 

Tomorrow's Forefathers, Inc.
945 7th Ave
Marion, Iowa 52302

The van wreck made their newsletter (which just hit my inbox - the joys of being on their email list from my evangelical days.  

And I just noticed, this story begins with we were laughing and telling stories but later reveals no we were laying down sleeping.  

Oh and Sarah has a new book. (apparently your heart is the problem)

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

• 1 month later...

Bumping this because I've received an email from Harold Mally

Just Men Conference.  (Um okay, but Dude - I'm a single female who lives alone.  You are decidedly barking up the wrong tree).  

Dear Friends,

It has been a while since we have held a conference for men, but the time has come to start again.  This will be our 6th “Just Men” Conference.  It is for older guys – actually all ages, but starting at 16.  Please see the details below. 

For His Glory,
Harold Mally
Tomorrow’s Forefathers

You are invited to a “Just Men Conference,” Friday, June 22nd through Sunday, June 24th.

Purpose:
The need in our day is for a new generation of young men to rise up who are "just" and whom God can use for His glory and His Kingdom. "I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one." (I John 2:14b)

Goals:

Build and strengthen the future leadership of the Body of Christ

Establish a growing fellowship group of just men who have a working relationship together in the various ministries God gives them

Strengthen future marriages and families by laying essential Biblical foundations

Be instrumental as the Lord raises up and sends forth laborers into His harvest

Encourage and train young men to be disciple makers 

In our weekend together we will explore and review:

Biblical concepts of the Christian life and of being a just man

The importance and function of the church, the Body of Christ

The enemies facing the church, the culture and us as men

Important issues and battles of our day

Ministry and leadership

For: Men of all ages (16 years old and up) 

Cost: Free

Schedule:
Friday 5:30 PM - 9:00 PM
Saturday 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM
Sunday 9:00 AM - 9:00 PM

Please register free online.

Conference will be held at both Cedar Rapids Bible Chapel and Noah's Archive Christian Bookstore.

Housing in homes is available for out of town attendees. 

Evening meals and Sunday lunch will be provided. Saturday lunch will be at Chick-fil-A.  Breakfast in homes.

For questions, email or call (removed)
Office phone: (removed)

"Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be still wiser; Teach a just man and he will increase in learning" (Proverbs 9:9).

"He who rules over men must be just, ruling in the fear of God. And he shall be like the light of the morning ... "  (2 Samuel 23:3).

Tomorrow’s Forefathers, Inc.
945 7th Ave
Marion, Iowa 52302

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

12 hours ago, clueliss said:

(Um okay, but Dude - I'm a single female who lives alone.  You are decidedly barking up the wrong tree.)

Hmm. Maybe you're supposed to hand it over to your headship so that he can decide if he wants to go? Does your cat like conferences? :wink-kitty: (Or did I remember wrong and you have a female cat?) 

Edited by WhatWouldJohnCrichtonDo?
added a thought
  • Haha 6

The Spook is female.  I suspect the Maly's would be horrified by that.  (also my father and stepfather are both dead, I don't have a brother.  I run through life male headship free)

• Love 3

China  is female, and make no mistake, she is a headship(and never lets me forget it).

• Upvote 3
  • Love 1

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:17 AM, clueliss said:

The Spook is female.  I suspect the Maly's would be horrified by that.  (also my father and stepfather are both dead, I don't have a brother.  I run through life male headship free)

Clueliss, I think this Men's Conference is a golden opportunity for you! I am sure there are some very mature, spiritual, hardworking, wisdom filled 16 year old boys men who could stand in as your headship. It really is very important that you have one; how on earth do you make decisions without a male's advice, protection, and leadership? Plus, it would allow these young men to practice controlling their future spouses. Oh, did I say controlling? I meant guiding! Guiding, protecting, and leading! Silly me! See? My husband isn't sitting right next to me at the computer so I can't even choose the correct words.

Please get right on this. Your headship awaits! 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 8

• 3 weeks later...

And I just got a Mally newsletter (Tomorrow's Forefather's Today - a name that always makes my brain cramp) - I've added the photo of the van to this since it didn't copy with the email/newsletter.  (Sorry).  TLDR - someone gifted them with a van after the van accident ya'll! - a  family with 14 kids who now has a bus.)

This email contains graphics, so if you don't see them, view it in your browser.

Dear Friends,

Greetings from the Mally family and Bright Lights staff! As we are gearing up for summer, we have several conferences on the horizon! These include some Bright Lights conferences, the Testify Camp (witnessing training), and a Just Men Conference for men (16+).

Van From Heaven by Harold Mally

In our last newsletter, we mentioned the terrifying van accident our family lived through. To escape such a serious accident alive and with such minor injuries was so miraculous to us that it truly reset our perspective and encouraged us immeasurably. We were thankful simply to be alive. God had done enough, we thought. But four weeks after the accident, God did another miracle for us! We received an email from a family in Ohio who told us they had just heard about our accident and decided that they wanted to give us their van to replace the one that crashed! Whoa! Amazing. :-) We didn’t even know this family!

Here is an excerpt from their email:

“Our family has been studying the book of Acts … and something that has really impacted us is how freely our brothers & sisters in the early church gave to those in need amongst the body of Christ … As I read of your van accident in your daughter’s recent email, not knowing when this had happened, I really felt the Lord laying it on my heart to give you our van … I figured we were too late to help … Well, when I received your email this morning, my heart soared with the possibility that we might be able to help brothers and sisters who are in need of something ...”

They have 14 children and now have a small bus. They outgrew their 13-passenger van and decided to give it to us. So, earlier this month I flew out to Canton to pick up our new van. Amazingly, it’s a Ford E350, almost the same as the one we had, but nicer.

Last month it took its maiden voyage to the Michigan Home School Convention. In the picture above we are unloading the van inside the convention center. Praise the Lord for His goodness and His mighty hand of protection and provision.

Upcoming Events

Just Men Conference (June 22-24)
The need in our day is for a new generation of young men to rise up who are “just” and whom God can use for His glory and His Kingdom (1 John2:14). The purpose for this conference is to build and strengthen the future leadership in the Body of Christ, establish a growing fellowship of “just men” who have a working relationship in the various ministries God gives them, and to strengthen future marriages and families by laying essential Biblical foundations. See more information here.

Strong in the Lord Conference (July 10-11)
We are happy to be having a Strong in the Lord Conference on the schedule for this summer. This is for girls ages 8-14, and our desire is to encourage the girls to become rooted in Christ during these very formative years. The conference gives practical teaching that girls can apply right away in their own families and walks with Christ and is sprinkled with skits, humor, singing, and small group times. It is so encouraging to see younger girls get excited about seeking and serving Jesus! We pray it will be a big blessing to all the parents who come too. See info here.

Speak Truth Conferences
We have three upcoming Speak Truth Conferences: Cedar Rapids, Iowa (July 13-14), Bellefontaine, Ohio (July 20-21), and Hudson, Wisconsin (November 9-10). These conferences are based off Sarah’s new book, helping girls discern lies and replace them with truth. Sarah will include biblical teaching, stories, illustrations, and practical tips as she discusses topics such as a girl’s emotions, purity, who God is, and a proper view of who we are in light of the truth of Scripture. See info here.

Testify Training Camp
On August 9-13 we will be running a 4-day (4-night) training camp, to equip believers in witnessing. Bryan Osborne (Answers in Genesis speaker) will also be teaching, along with Tony Ramsek and our family. The camp will be held simultaneously with the Iowa State Fair, at a location about ten minutes away. After witnessing training sessions in the morning, we will drive everyone over to the fair where we will put into practice what was learned together! We ran this camp the last two years and have been very blessed by the sharpening fellowship. More pictures and details from last year’s camp can be seen on Grace’s blog post. You can register here. See a 2½-minute clip of Bryan Osborne speaking here.

Note: If you would like flyers for any of these conferences, or an informational email to forward to others, please let us know. We would really appreciate the help in spreading the word. We also have sharable posts on social media.

Online Resource of the Month: The Flood of Noah

This month we are offering the book The Flood of Noah for $9.50 (50% off retail price). Did you know that almost every culture has a worldwide flood legend? What are some of these legends, and what intriguing clues do they contain? Many point to details familiar to the Biblical account of Noah and the ark. What can we learn of pre-Flood history from ancient and archaeological records?

This interactive book includes flaps, charts, pull-slides, pop-ups, mini-books, and colorful illustrations. It will be interesting and instructive for whole families (starting at around age 10). This offer will be honored on our online store through June 30th or while supply lasts. At checkout, use promocode:flood2018.

Prayer Request

We are finishing a study guide to go along with Sarah’s new book, Speak Truth in Your Heart.  It should be available as a free download online (or to purchase from our online store for those who would like the printed form) within the next two months. Please pray for wisdom in the completion of this project, and that the Lord would use these new resources to convict, challenge, and encourage many girls in their walks with Him!

Schedule

June 22-24, Just Men Conference (Cedar Rapids, Iowa)

July 10-11, Strong in the Lord Conference (Cedar Rapids, Iowa)

July 13-14, Speak Truth in Your Heart Conference (Cedar Rapids, Iowa)

July 20-21, Speak Truth in Your Heart Conference (Bellefontaine, Ohio)

August 2-5, FIBANA Conference (Dallas, TX)

August 9-13, Testify Camp (Des Moines, Iowa)

November 9-10, Speak Truth in Your Heart Conference (Hudson, WI)

May the Lord bless you and your families!

The Mally Family and Bright Lights Staff, 

Tomorrow's Forefathers, Inc.

Marion, Iowa 52302

unnamed.jpg

• Thank You 4

A bazillion-ty passenger van filled with people and pulling a very large cargo trailer just seems like a recipe for another accident. 

I also cannot even imagine the amount of gas that thing guzzles while pulling a trailer.  Maybe 10 mpg?  

• Upvote 5
  • I Agree 1

I was just going to say,  how many gallons per mile does that rig get?

• Upvote 2