IGNORED

Mallys and Bright Lights and Weddings

clueliss

On 6/8/2018 at 8:30 PM, Howl said:

I also cannot even imagine the amount of gas that thing guzzles while pulling a trailer.  Maybe 10 mpg?  

Well, my grandma's 1971 Impala drove like a bat out of hell (fast), and it got 7 to 9 mpg in town, or 11 to 13 mpg on the freeway. I think she said once that it got the best mileage at 70 mph or higher. She apparently loved the empty stretches of the Nevada desert on her trips to visit us. :pb_lol:

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Love 2

I find it incredible that someone's response to seeing the Mallys having an accident because of bad driving in terrible conditions - with passengers just not bothering to wear seat-belts! - is to reward them. But Fundies are a weird lot. 

Edited by Lurky
SOTDRT level spelling
  • Upvote 4
  • I Agree 5

I haven’t been following Mallys closely but I’m astounded that unmarried 39 year old still holds any credibility with the younger set regarding waiting for Prince Charming or dating/marriage advice in general. 

• Upvote 7

Is it just me, or does Sarah have some MAJOR lines goin' on for 39?

I hate to snark on appearance when there are sooooo many worthier things, but I was taken aback by how deep they are for her age.

IMG_4057.jpg.6938cfc2edae990d9660d8a26feedc12.jpg

(The photo is from Grace Notes, the blog on the Mally's website.)

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, AnnaSofia said:

Is it just me, or does Sarah have some MAJOR lines goin' on for 39?

I hate to snark on appearance when there are sooooo many worthier things, but I was taken aback by how deep they are for her age.

IMG_4057.jpg.6938cfc2edae990d9660d8a26feedc12.jpg

(The photo is from Grace Notes, the blog on the Mally's website.)

IMO she looks much younger than 39, I don't think her lines are that deep. Besides, she's smiling, everyone has mimic lines, she's almost 40 so they might've gotten deeper. 

• Upvote 2
  • I Agree 1

On 6/11/2018 at 9:22 PM, ScorpiousMalfoy said:

IMO she looks much younger than 39, I don't think her lines are that deep. Besides, she's smiling, everyone has mimic lines, she's almost 40 so they might've gotten deeper. 

An errant thought, are fundamentalist women allowed Botox, hyloronic acid based  injections, or plastic surgery in general? Do we know of anyone who had the work done? 

Edited by Mrs. Bean

I'm pretty sure Victoria Osteen, Joel Osteen's wife, has had a lot of work done. Fundies would say whatever the husband wants is the answer.

I don't think Sarah Mally has major lines. It's possible she never wears sunblock and developed more wrinkles from it but she looks normal to me. She's very beautiful regardless.

Edited by luv2laugh
  • Upvote 5

11 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

I'm pretty sure Victoria Osteen, Joel Osteen's wife, has had a lot of work done. Fundies would say whatever the husband wants is the answer.

I don't think Sarah Mally has major lines. It's possible she never wears sunblock and developed more wrinkles from it but she looks normal to me. She's very beautiful regardless.

Well I wouldn’t consider Osteens fundies, not even fundie light variety. They are prosperity gospel all the way. I wouldn’t be shocked if there was a fund for beautification of pastor’s wife that the faithful could contribute to. 

Edited by Mrs. Bean
  • Upvote 7

oh boy - conferences.

Mally Family Unsubscribe

Wed, Jun 20, 9:02 PM (10 hours ago)

to me

We are excited to announce that three “Speak Truth in Your Heart” Conferences have been scheduled in Iowa, Ohio, and Wisconsin, as well as one “Strong in the Lord Conference” in Iowa! See information below.

Taught by Sarah Mally, this conference will challenge girls to identify lies which are the root issues behind struggles they face and to be well grounded in the Word of God. Many girls try to change their wrong actions, but never learn to discern the wrong thinking behind the actions. As girls replace lies of the culture with biblical truth, they will see how God’s Word will transform each area of their lives as the truth sets them free! Sarah will include many stories, illustrations and practical tips as she discusses topics such as a girl’s emotions, purity, who God is, and a proper view of who we are in light of the truth of Scripture. When a young lady learns to “speak truth” to herself, she is building her life upon an unshakable foundation that will resist even the most powerful attacks of the enemy.

Session Titles:
Know Your Foundation: Replacing Lies with Truth 
Know Your God: The Castle of His Arms
Know Your Identity: The Accuser and the Intercessor  
Know Your Stability: Truth Over Emotions 
Know Your Strategy: Resisting Temptation with Truth 
Know Your Source of Satisfaction: Lies, Guys and Purity
Know Your Message: Gain Boldness in Witnessing

Also includes additional breakout sessions, skits, music, and times of fellowship and snacks.

Dates and Locations:
July 13-14—Cedar Rapids, IA
July 20-21—Bellefontaine, OH (about an hour north of Dayton)
November 9-10—Hudson, WI

For: 
Girls ages 12-22 
Mothers are encouraged to attend with their daughters

$15 per person or $50 per family  
(Late registration is $18 per person or $60 per family)
Includes snacks and Speak Truth Journal
To register online, click here.
Click here for more information or to download a flyer. 

Schedule:
Friday 4:00–9:00 PM
Saturday 9:00 AM–6:00 PM

Includes small group times, humorous skits, testimonies from girls, hands-on activities, a chalk talk, harp music, singing, and practical, Biblical teaching that will challenge and prepare young ladies to remain strong for the Lord through their teen years.

Parents are encouraged to attend the conference in order to hear what their daughters are learning and reinforce it at home. There will also be sessions for parents covering topics such as the importance of protecting your children, how fathers can set a godly pace for their family, how to win the hearts of your daughters, and building strong mother/daughter relationships.

Session Topics:
How to be Strong for the Lord in Your Youth
Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends
Developing a Love for God’s Word
How to Turn Your Heart to Your Parents
How to Be a Bright Light in the World
Avoiding Wrong Influences
Deepening Your Walk with Jesus Christ
How to Boldly Share the Gospel

Dates and Location:
July 10-11—Cedar Rapids, IA

For: 
Girls ages 8-14 (older girls are also welcome)
Parents are encouraged to attend with their daughters

$15 per person or $50 per family  
(Late registration is $18 per person or $60 per family)
Includes snacks and materials
To register online, click here.
Click here for more information or to download a flyer. 

Schedule: 
Tuesday evening from 6:00 - 9:00 PM
Wednesday from 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM

For questions, feel free to e-mail the Bright Lights staff at conference@brightlightsministry.com.

About Bright Lights
In 1996, Sarah Mally started a discipleship ministry in her living room with the goal of challenging other young ladies to be strong for the Lord in their youth. Bright Lights has continued to grow, and now there are over 700 Bright Lights groups that have started around the country and internationally. Bright Lights continues to train leaders, host mother / daughter conferences, and provide discipleship materials for young ladies. Sarah Mally is also the author of “Speak Truth in Your Heart,” published in 2018, and “Before You Meet Prince Charming,” published in 2006, and co-author of the book “Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends,” which she and her brother and sister published in 2002.

Bright Lights
945 7th Ave
Marion, Iowa 52302
319-377-6728
www.brightlightsministry.com

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thank You 2

• 1 month later...

Saw Grace Mally at the Iowa state fair. They're still renting that convention booth to hand out creationist pamphlets. I didn't engage, just eavesdropped a little while she tried to explain some sort of Ken Ham publication to a group of college kids who were clearly speaking with her solely for their own amusement.

• Upvote 7
  • Thank You 3

This thread’s been sporadically active for almost three years (!!), and given that it’s only on page 9 could last a long time more. I have a dream: that a mod will fix that errant apostrophe in the title! Should be “Mallys”, plural not possessive. Thank you to whoever has the power! :-)

Edited by Petronella
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, NachosFlandersStyle said:

Saw Grace Mally at the Iowa state fair. They're still renting that convention booth to hand out creationist pamphlets. I didn't engage, just eavesdropped a little while she tried to explain some sort of Ken Ham publication to a group of college kids who were clearly speaking with her solely for their own amusement.

Is her voice as incredibly irritating in person as it is in videos?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

Is her voice as incredibly irritating in person as it is in videos?

I think it's less pronounced when she's not speaking into a microphone, but... yeah.

• Upvote 1
  • Thank You 3

On 8/15/2018 at 12:06 AM, Petronella said:

This thread’s been sporadically active for almost three years (!!), and given that it’s only on page 9 could last a long time more. I have a dream: that a mod will fix that errant apostrophe in the title! Should be “Mallys”, plural not possessive. Thank you to whoever has the power! :-)

Everyone should have a dream. Fortunately for you, yours has come true. ;)

• Upvote 1
  • Rufus Bless 1
  • Haha 14
  • Love 2

• 2 months later...

I remain subscribed for your snarking pleasure

Mally Family 

Sun, Oct 21, 10:17 PM (10 hours ago)

This email contains graphics, so if you don't see them, view it in your browser.

Dear Friends,
Greetings from the Mally family and Bright Lights staff!

Doubting Thomas  (by Sarah Mally)
Recently, I was checking out at a consignment store, and noticed that the clerk helping me was covered in piercings and tattoos. Across her forehead, in big letters, were written the words “Doubting Thomas.” I asked her about the meaning of her tattoo, and she explained that she really identified with Thomas in the Bible.

“I only believe what I can see; I always like to question things,” she said.

“I really like the character, Thomas, in the Bible,” I explained enthusiastically. “When he truly was convinced that Jesus had risen from the dead, he said, ‘My Lord and my God.’ Then he stood by what he believed to the end. According to church history, Thomas died as a martyr for his faith.”

She didn’t seem to know this, and we talked for a minute or two about the importance of evidence and faith.

I looked in my purse, hoping that I would have a copy of our tract, “Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ.” Happily, I found one. Handing it to her, I explained that this would be a good thing for her to read since she is interested in evidence. She took the tract and seemed to be intrigued by our encounter. (If you are not familiar with this tract, you can see it here.)

Afterwards, I began to think about how amazing it was that God caused me to run into this girl. Just as the Lord reached out to Thomas and met him in his unbelief, here God was “miraculously” bringing her evidence too. Many Christians carry tracts, but probably not very many carry one called: “Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ.” Yet what a perfect tract for “Miss Doubting Thomas”! I’m so glad the Lord caused me to run into her, and that I had this tract with me at the time. I pray that she will become a believer like Thomas!

Praise Reports
We have so much to praise the Lord for as we look back on our summer conferences:

The Just Men conference in June was a very encouraging weekend. God was at work, and there was much enthusiasm among the group of men. See a report here  

The Bright Lights conferences in Iowa and Ohio were filled with blessings from the Lord. It is encouraging to see the Lord continually raising up new staff to help lead these conferences. At the Iowa conference, many who helped were girls from our own Bright Lights group who are now old enough be leaders. It brought us much joy to have them involved.

Sarah and Grace enjoyed speaking to the mothers, daughters, children, and young adults at the FIBA conference (Fellowship of Indian Brethren of America). It wasn’t quite the same as going to India (being held at a large hotel in the Dallas area), but it was still a special privilege to speak into this culture, make new friends, and see God work.  

The third annual Testify camp was a thrilling week of witnessing training and hundreds of gospel conversations at the Iowa State Fair. This past month, Grace produced two recap videos which explain this exciting ministry. See videos explaining the booth outreach and Testify Training camp here.

The Speak Truth Journal (which accompanies the book, Speak Truth in Your Heart) is now completed and is currently being printed. A free download isavailable here.

Nickie Biegler took a group of Bright Lights leaders to volunteer at the Answers for Pastors conference at the Creation Museum last week. The conference was packed out, and Nickie and the team worked hard helping with many behind-the-scenes needs. They returned exhausted and excited about the opportunity God gave them to serve. 

Family News
Our harp (which was badly damaged in our van accident last March) is currently in France being repaired. We hope to have it back next month. Here are a few pictures of the harp being packed up and shipped. We are thankful that the harp was insured!

Upcoming Events

Speak Truth in Your Heart (November 9-10th, Hudson, Wisconsin – 30 minutes from Minneapolis)
This conference challenges girls to identify lies which are the root issues behind struggles they face, and to be well grounded in the Word of God. We have been very encouraged to see the Lord impacting lives with His Word at these conferences, and we are praying for Him to work in a mighty way next month. The conference is for girls ages 12 and up. Moms are encouraged to attend also. To register online, click here.

Leaders Encouragement Retreat (November 16-17th, Cedar Rapids, Iowa)
This retreat is for Bright Lights leaders (past or current) and for young ladies or moms who are considering starting a group. Leaders are also encouraged to bring some of the older girls from their groups. The purpose of this retreat is to provide fresh encouragement, fellowship, and ideas for leaders. It is free, but we ask that you register by emailing leadersretreats.brightlights@gmail.com

Online Resource: Let My Life Be a Light CD
This month we are offering the Let My Life Be a Light CD for free with any purchase of $20 or more (excluding conference registrations).

Many Bright Lights girls have said that singing together is their favorite part of the meetings. The songs we sing influence us greatly. Our aim in Bright Lights has been to teach songs with meaningful words that are easy to learn and sing. Many of our favorite Bright Lights songs were recorded on this CD for Bright Lights groups and others to enjoy. Vocals are provide by the Wissmann sisters. Songs are accompanied by harp, cello, violin, flute, guitar, bass guitar, banjo, mandolin, dobro, and keyboard.

This offer will be honored on our online store through November 30th. At checkout, use promocode: light2018

May the Lord bless you and your families!

The Mally Family and Bright Lights Staff, 

Tomorrow's Forefathers, Inc.
945 7th Ave
Marion, Iowa 52302

As for 

Many Bright Lights girls have said that singing together is their favorite part of the meetings. The songs we sing influence us greatly. Our aim in Bright Lights has been to teach songs with meaningful words that are easy to learn and sing. Many of our favorite Bright Lights songs were recorded on this CD for Bright Lights groups and others to enjoy. Vocals are provide by the Wissmann sisters. Songs are accompanied by harp, cello, violin, flute, guitar, bass guitar, banjo, mandolin, dobro, and keyboard

Um - ours didn't.  I tried to play worship & Praise music.  Asked for suggestions.  Would have had their attention if we'd accepted say Justin Beiber.  Bolding in that mine since I recognize the name from elsewhere (for those playing 6 degrees of fundie separation)

And good grief they shipped the harp to France for repair after that van accident.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 7

12 hours ago, clueliss said:

Recently, I was checking out at a consignment store, and noticed that the clerk helping me was covered in piercings and tattoos. Across her forehead, in big letters, were written the words “Doubting Thomas.” I asked her about the meaning of her tattoo, and she explained that she really identified with Thomas in the Bible.

This sounds so fake. I mean most of their "witnessing" stories are pretty suspect, full of people who are oddly eager to discuss their personal lives with weird strangers and who never have any response to "have you heard the good news of Jesus Christ?" except for "wow, tell me more!"  But a forehead tattoo indicating that this person needs to be proselytized? That's something else.

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 3

• 2 months later...

They got the hap

Mally Family via

This email contains graphics, so if you don't see them, view it in your browser.

Dear Friends,

Merry Christmas from the Mally family and Bright Lights staff!

Special Delivery from France by Harold

A couple days ago we had a little extra excitement at the Bright Lights office. A huge box arrived. 

You may remember that last March our family was in a terrible accident and, statistically, we should be dead. But God preserved us miraculously. You can see the details on Grace’s blog. 

However, although God saved us, neither our van nor our harp survived the accident. But the story wasn’t over. A month after our accident, we received an email from a family in Ohio offering to give us their van! It has been a great blessing and we praise God for His provision. 

And now, after 9 months, even our harp has been restored. Thankfully, the harp was insured. But the damage was so extensive that it could only be repaired by the factory that built it – in France! After many weeks of communicating with both the harp manufacturer and the insurance company, we boxed up our harp and a global shipping company took it away. A couple days ago, it returned. Six guys from our church came to help us bring it in from the truck, and we opened the box with great anticipation. It’s amazing. It’s like new. It even stayed in tune on the transatlantic trip. And we got it back just in time for Christmas. 

When we lost both the van and the harp in our accident, we were not discouraged because we were so thankfulthat we were all alive with only minor injuries. But God restored even those things. May they be used for His glory.

Little, but not TOO Little  by Harold
“I like the phrase ‘too little,’” Grace commented to me at a coffee shop recently. We were reading Micah 5:2 which says, “But you, O Bethlehem Ephrathah, who are too little to be among the clans of Judah. . .” (Mic. 5:2). Grace and I discussed how Bethlehem was little—too little to be anything of significance—too little to even be classified as a clan. But Bethlehem was not too little for the Glory of Israel to choose as His birth place. What can we learn about God and His ways from this? How can this affect the way we view our own lives?  

Are you “too little” to do important and mighty things for the Lord?  Yes.  But God can accomplish more through your weakness than you can through your strength.

Is your family “too little” to carry out significant ministry to the community?  Of course. But God isn’t.  

Is your church “too little” to reach your community, let alone the world?  Yes.  But God isn’t. 

God loves to use little things for His glory.  He prefers that.  Jesus said, “Without Me ye can do nothing.” (John 15:5)  Remember 1 Corinthians 1:26-29? “For consider your calling, brethren, that there were not many wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble; but God has chosen the foolish things of the world to shame the wise, and God has chosen the weak things of the world to shame the things which are strong … so that no man may boast before God.”

It’s great to be a little guy—like David before Goliath—and by faith trust God’s power, experience His victory, and give Him the glory!  Great things He has done.

Christmas Scrolls Across the Nation!
In last month’s newsletter, we encouraged families with a ministry idea for this Christmas: hand out “Christmas scrolls.” We printed 18,000 and we were praying that all of them could be distributed this Christmas season. Well, we are very happy to report that we ran out and had to order 5,000 more! Praise the Lord!

The desire and goal is to put Scripture in the hands of unsaved people because so many do not read the Bible and don’t even know where to find the account of the birth of Christ.  Hopefully, this year thousands of families will read the real account of Christmas from the Word of God in their homes.  It has been exciting to hear reports of how people are using them. One family ordered 1500 to give away at a Christmas concert their family was giving in their community. Here are some other reports we’ve received:

“I just got my order of the Christmas Scripture papers and I love them! … I’m going to give them out at a neighborhood party this weekend, and at a Bible study luncheon next week (for those ladies to give away), as well as with individual cookie plates etc. I am telling as many people as I can about them so that hopefully more will use them. They’re so easy to give away.” – Jenn

“Thank you for doing something like this. We're going caroling and this is perfect to pass out along with our cookies and candies.” – Linda

“I plan to put them in all the gifts that I am giving my apartment dwelling people. They looked so nice… Bought some ribbon this morning to use to tie them. I'm not particularly handy...but I'll get it done.” –Jeanne (85 years old)

“Thank you so much!!!!!  Our church wanted us to order extra for the congregation to pass out!!!! So exciting!!” – Jana

If you would like to give Christmas Scrolls to your neighbors or others you encounter this week, you can order them here.

Highlighted Resources
Speak Truth in Your Heart Package
The Speak Truth in Your Heart package includes one book, one journal, and one poster. We pray these resources will encourage young women to delight in God’s Word, to expose lies they are believing, and to remember the victory available to them in the daily battles they face. It will help girls to understand their identity in Christ, overcome temptation, honor the Lord with their emotions, and reject lies in areas of purity and relationships.

Scripture Memory Coloring Cards
These Scripture Memory Cards are a great supplement to the Speak Truth in Your Heart book, providing an encouraging way to memorize and meditate on Scripture! These cards include a place to write the memory verse, decorations to color, and mini Scripture Studies on the back of each verse card. There are two versions available.

Becoming Mr. Right 
A young man’s guide to God-honoring relationships. Michael Daniels provides a clear and helpful roadmap for young men as they pursue God’s ways and seek to apply Scripture to important issues in life. It covers topics such as pursuing Christ first, becoming a man after God’s own heart, contentment, treating girls with purity, and initiating and conducting a relationship wisely.

Free Shipping for orders over $25 
We are giving free media mail shipping for orders over $25 on our online store from now until Christmas. Offer is good through December 25th, 2018. Use promo code: shipping2018. Please note: this does not apply to International orders, or orders placed using the Bright Lights Leaders Discount pricing.

God bless you and your families! Merry Christmas!

Marion, Iowa 52302

Unsubscribe

And another update.  (I've had them in the email hoard)  

Mally Family via 

Dear Friends,

Hello from the Mally Family and Bright Lights staff!

744 Hours       by Harold Mally
Do you remember the parable Jesus told in Matthew 21 about two sons?  The father said to each, “Son, go, work today in my vineyard.” The first son said, “No,” but later went and worked. The second son said he would, but didn’t. Jesus asked, “Which of the two did the will of his father?” Jesus then confronted the chief priests and elders for not obeying the will of their Heavenly Father.

At a church elder conference I was attending a few weeks ago, the speaker read this passage and then told a powerful story. He said that years earlier an older lady, who had spent several decades on the mission field, came back to his church with wonderful reports of God’s handiwork. Curious, he asked her a question. “When you left, there were no churches in the region to which you went. Now, 30 years later there are many churches! Here in our city there were many churches, and now, 30 years later, there are only a few and they are small. What’s the difference?” 

The older missionary lady thought for a minute and then gave this simple answer: “The missionaries work!” 

God provides the power, but He desires diligence from His people. When should we do God’s work? It’s easy to speak of the ministry from yesterday, or what we hope to do in the future. But God says to us, “Son, go work today in my vineyard.” And not only today, but all day—morning and evening. We are to take every opportunity, even when it is not convenient.

Also, we should do God’s work every day, not just occasionally. Jesus taught daily in the temple. And He said, “Take up your cross daily.” Multiple times in Acts we read that the disciples met or ministered daily. Also, we are told in Hebrews to exhort one another daily.

The question was asked at the conference, “How can we get started?” The answer was, “Get started.” :-) Just do something. Get started and God will lead. Many Bible studies have started with one person. Most ministries start small. The power is God’s, but He desires that we be His obedient, pure, and diligent instruments.

Why should we do God’s work? Because it’s a great work (Nehemiah 6:3), the need is great (Matthew 9:36-38; John 4:34-38), and God pays good wages! A different kind of wages (Matthew 6:19-21)!

There are 744 hours in December. This year, how many of the 744 hours will you and your family use for ministry? Remember, this month contains unique opportunities for good works and witnessing that no other month offers.

Busy Farmers in December                  by Harold Mally 
Is it too soon to plan for Christmas? Not if you are planning for Christmas witnessing! Being a witness for Christ is like being a farmer (1 Corinthians 3:6-15; 2 Timothy 2:6-7). You plant, water, fertilize, wait—and then harvest. As Christians, we often want to go straight to the harvest part, but the harvest isn’t ready because we didn’t plant, water, or prepare.

So here is a Christmas witnessing idea: Since almost every family in America celebrates Christmas, and since most do not actually read the Bible and probably don’t even know where to find the account of Christ’s birth, what if we gave them a copy? What if Christians all over the country distributed one-page copies of the Christmas account from Matthew and Luke? Not only would families have something short and readable in their hands, but, if they read it, they and their families would be hearing a part of the Word of God for themselves.

Last year, we printed 5,000 Christmas accounts, and many of you helped to hand them out. This year we ordered 18,000. They are printed on attractive, glossy paper. We like to roll them up like scrolls, and band them with green paper or a ribbon. People received them joyfully. At the Christmas parade in our town last year, people thanked us and many made comments to the effect that they “had always wanted to read it for themselves.”

Here are some ideas of how they can be distributed:

Hand them out when you check out at stores over the Christmas season. (Carry pre-rolled scrolls inside an empty paper towel roll to keep them from getting squished in your bag or purse.)

Give a plate of Christmas cookies to your neighbors and include a Christmas scroll with each plate, or give one to houses in the neighborhood of your church.

Encourage other families at your church to give them to their neighbors too.

Go Christmas caroling and hand them out at each house.

Send them with Christmas cards or letters to relatives.

If your town has a Christmas parade, that is a good place to hand them out and get into witnessing conversations.

If there is a Live Nativity somewhere in your town, you could suggest that they give one to all who come.

A college town is a good place to hand them out, especially to international students.

So for all you winter farmers: pray, talk as a family, and if God so leads, you can order scrolls from us here or print them yourselves. (We have them available in KJV and NASB.) The goal is to help Americans read the Word of God for themselves, even if it is only a portion of it.

Also check out these other Christmas ministry ideas on Grace’s blog.

Praise Reports

Speak Truth Conference in Hudson
We had a very blessed time at the Speak Truth in Your Heart conference in Hudson, Wisconsin on Nov. 9-10th. You can see pictures and read a report here. One of the most encouraging parts was seeing the local Bright Lights group thriving in the area. This group, started by one young lady in 2012, has now multiplied into three groups—all led by girls from the original group. These groups provided a great support system for us: they served as greeters, interacted with guests, prayed for the conference in advance, advertised, served food, and took care of all the behind-the-scenes needs to help the conference run smoothly.

As much as we are thankful for the opportunity to reach many girls through conferences, we believe the more fruitful and effective aspect of the Bright Lights ministry in the long run is the ongoing small groups—as older girls teach younger ones, meet with them consistently, and keep them accountable to be walking with the Lord. We are thankful for the full conference, but even more thankful for how the Lord has been growing the local Bright Lights groups in the Hudson area.

Leaders Encouragement Retreat
Last weekend we held a Leaders Encouragement Retreat here in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Bright Lights leaders joined us from five different states, and we had a sweet time of fellowship, Bible study, prayer, and learning from one another. We pray that all of the leaders are rejuvenated and excited to continue to invest in their groups this year. We are thankful to Emily Selander, Bright Lights Leader in Council Bluffs, for organizing this event!  

Online Resource of the Month: Speak Truth in Your Heart Package
(Includes Speak Truth in Your Heart Book, Journal, and Poster)

We are excited to have two new resources available: the Speak Truth in Your Heart Journal and poster.

Speak Truth Journal—Designed for individual or group study, this journal includes self-evaluations, deeper scriptural studies, space to journal the activities and studies from the book, and discussion questions for small groups. It is also available as a free download here.

Speak Truth Poster—A young lady called our office a few months ago asking if we would consider making a poster similar to the front cover of the book so that she could have a reminder on her wall to speak the truth in her heart. We liked her idea, and designed posters which feature Ephesians 6:10,18 reminding us of the daily battle we are in, and the importance of holding up the shield of faith and sword of the Spirit.

The Speak Truth in Your Heart package includes one book, one journal, and one poster for $20.00 (retail $29). This offer is available on our online store. Please note: estimated shipping date is December 5th. No promocode needed.

Free Shipping for orders over $25 
We are giving free media mail shipping for orders over $25 on our online store from now until Christmas. Offer is good through December 25th, 2018. We recommend ordering by Dec. 12th if you would like to receive it by Christmas. Use promo code: shipping2018. Please note: this does NOT apply to International orders, or orders placed using the Bright Lights Leaders Discount pricing.

Mr. Mally’s Christmas Cards
Several years ago at Christmas, my dad surprised us with some special Christmas cards he designed. They feature a camel, donkey, and a family of sheep, and their unique perspective about the Christmas story. :-) Each one has an important message, and we think they are a useful tool in drawing the attention of unbelieving friends and family to truths about the coming of Christ. These cards are available on our online store for $7.00 a box (retail is $10.00). No promocode needed.

God bless you and your families!

945 7th Ave
Marion, Iowa 52302

Unsubscribe

• Thank You 3

The Mallys.  Killing trees and profiting for encouraging others to litter for the Lord every December.  If I were handed one of those Christmas scrolls I'd hand it back and tell them to find someone who had genuinely never heard or read the Bible story.   It might take them a while.

And, yes, I do remember that they had a bad accident last year.  It was a miracle that they all survived, especially as three of them were not wearing seat belts.  But God was gracious enough to save them, replace their van, and repair their harp.  He is so good.

I think the true version should go more like this:  We were on the interstate and none of us were paying enough attention to the dangerous weather conditions.  Stephen was driving too fast and foolishly tried to overtake a truck.  We skidded, and our van rolled over onto the meridian, into oncoming traffic, and ended up on the far side of a major highway.  We are incredibly lucky to be alive, and are very grateful that our carelessness didn't result in a massive multi-car accident killing many other people, not only our stupid selves.

Didn't Grace get engaged last year? Or did I dream that?  Does anyone know what went wrong - or are they just pretending it never happened?  

Edited by Palimpsest
  • Upvote 7

So they had insurance on the harp, which allowed them to send it back to France to get fixed. But they had to grift a replacement van from some other fundie family???? Apparently car insurance isn't necessary.

• Upvote 9

3 hours ago, snickerz said:

So they had insurance on the harp, which allowed them to send it back to France to get fixed. But they had to grift a replacement van from some other fundie family???? Apparently car insurance isn't necessary.

What state are they in?  Liability insurance is compulsory in most states.  But their van was old so they probably skimped on insuring that.  Also if it was totaled they probably only got Blue Book price from their insurance company - presuming it was minimally insured in the first place.  Not enough to replace the old van with a newer one.

When my beloved 16 year-old car died (she threw an engine rod and was beyond repair) I donated her rusty corpse to charity.  My tax write-off was $150.  Blue Book value for a 2001 Camry LE.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 2

12 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Didn't Grace get engaged last year? Or did I dream that?  Does anyone know what went wrong - or are they just pretending it never happened?  

Grace was engaged to Josiah Moffitt in August 2017, it was over by November 2017. I think they're pretending it never happened. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thank You 2

• 1 month later...

woot woot - new newsletter.  

http://new.brightlightsdiscipleship.com/index.php?option=com_acymailing&ctrl=archive&task=view&mailid=308&key=tiqFNd3R&subid=6908-0fe314986552d75439cab6fbc15b1070&tmpl=component

January Newsletter - White as Snow

Dear Friends,

Hello from the Mally family and Bright Lights staff!

White as Snow  (by Grace)
When I was shoveling snow yesterday morning, I stopped for a minute to rest. I had finished a section in the shade and I was now in the bright sunlight. The sun was making the snow around me glisten, and it was super beautiful. I was admiring how the top layer of snowflakes were especially sparkly. The scene of fresh snow is so magnificent when you stop and admire it.

Then I thought about how the Lord said, "Though your sins are as scarlet, they shall be white as snow" (Is. 1:18).  He didn't say, "white as wool" or "white as clouds" but "white as snow." One of the characteristics of fresh snow is that it sparkles in the sunlight. Apart from Christ’s redemption, we as guilty sinners would have no chance for survival in the presence of a Holy God. But with Christ’s covering, we are just as welcome as Jesus. As the snow takes on an even greater beauty when the sun shines on it, so we, with Christ’s covering, can not only survive, but “sparkle” in the light of God’s presence.  

“The terrors of law and of God
With me can have nothing to do;
My Savior’s obedience and blood
Hide all my transgressions from view.”
- Augustus Toplady

Conferences in Council Bluffs, Iowa
We have several conferences scheduled for Council Bluffs, Iowa, at the end of April.

The Strong in the Lord Conference is for girls ages 8-14. What are the basics for a young lady seeking to follow Christ? This conference challenges girls to be in God’s Word daily, to build strong relationships with parents and siblings, to avoid wrong influences, to share the gospel, and to seek Jesus with all their heart.

The Radiant Purity Conference is for girls ages 12-22. It will help girls explore God’s Word as they seek to honor the Lord in their relationships and walk in purity. This conference will cover topics such as Cultivating a Heart of Purity, Using Social Media for God’s Glory, Recognizing Lies of the Enemy, Walking by Faith, and Seeing Relationships from a Biblical Perspective. Most of all, it will encourage girls to delight in Jesus, the One who truly satisfies!  
Both conferences include humorous skits, a chalk talk, harp music, godly mentoring, and practical Biblical teaching.

The Stand Fast Conference is for young men ages 12-18. We have been asked many times over the years if we could run something for boys like we have for girls. We have wanted to do this for a long time and the Lord now seems to be opening that door. So, we are excited to announce our very first “Stand Fast” Conference for young men. This conference will have limited space and therefore be open to only the first 50 who register. Both fathers and sons (12-18) are welcome. Topics will include: Bible Reading, Study and Memorization; Defending the Faith; Overcoming Temptations; Humility in Family Relationships; and Being Ministry Minded. “For now we live, if ye stand fast in the Lord” (1 Thess. 3:8). 

Click here to go to conference registration.

Host a Conference in Your Area

We are currently planning our 2019 schedule. If you would be interested in hosting a Bright Lights conference in your area, please contact Nickie at nickie@tfemail.com 

Online Resource Special: Bright Lights Discipleship Package 1 
This month we are selling the Bright Lights Discipleship Package 1 for $40 ($10 off retail price).

This discipleship course, though used primarily in Bright Lights groups, is also recommended as a personal study for girls, or for mothers and daughters to read and discuss together. The target age is 10-15. Covering many fundamental areas such as deepening your walk with Jesus, a close relationship with your parents, truthfulness, contentment, self-control, discernment, how to develop a ministry, controlling your words, choosing wise friends, and many other practical topics, this course is designed to encourage girls to use their teen years for the Lord. Each lesson contains biblical insights, practical applications, and testimonies from girls who share how the Lord has been working in their lives. Package includes one Bright Lights binder, Sets 1-5 (29 eight-page booklets), 5 CDs which contain stories and testimonies and the Mother/Daughter Discussion Guide for Set One.

This offer will be honored on our online store through February 28th. At checkout, use promocode: bright2019

Upcoming Schedule
April 5-6, Answers for Women, Kentucky (booth only)
April 23-24, Strong in the Lord Conference, Council Bluffs, Iowa
April 26-27, Radiant Purity Conference, Council Bluffs, Iowa
April 26-27, Stand Fast Conference (for young men), Council Bluffs, Iowa  
May 31-June 1, Speak Truth in Your Heart Conference, Camp Berea, Mexico
August 8-11, Testify Training Camp, Des Moines, Iowa
August 15-19, Testify Training Camp 2, Des Moines, Iowa (tentative depending on interest)

God bless you and your families!

The Mally Family and Bright Lights Staff

Marion, Iowa 52302

• Upvote 2
  • Thank You 1

• 2 months later...

There is a sign in my grocery store advertising a "Radiant Purity Conference" in Council Bluffs, IA (which is about 30 miles away). I wasn't familiar and thought, "What fresh hell is this?". Googled and realized I'd heard of the Mallys via FJ. 

I want to rip their damn sign down, but the store recently put in a new board with glass over it. 

On a related note, I feel like teaching teens that even the slightest interest in the opposite sex is sinful and dangerous is a recipe for 40 year old single offspring living at home while wishing they were married. 

• Upvote 8
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, louisa05 said:

On a related note, I feel like teaching teens that even the slightest interest in the opposite sex is sinful and dangerous is a recipe for 40 year old single offspring living at home while wishing they were married. 

At least they offer truth in advertising on this one!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2