IGNORED

Mallys and Bright Lights and Weddings

clueliss

5 hours ago, gustava said:

Hope they're in good standing with Scamaritan.

One of the deplorable things about Scamaritan is their clauses that refuse  coverage for certain conditions, basically blaming people for their poor health.   You're diabetic/HIV positive/depressed?  It's your own fault for being so fat and lazy/such a slut/selfish and unwilling to trust God.

I wonder if they'd even cover am accident like this.  

Actually, knowing how internally consistent funds logic is-that it, not at all- they'd probably be fine with it. And minor celebs like the Mallys find crowd funding like this pretty easy. It's a testament to how much much more Jesus loves them. (Where's the barfing  emoji?)

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, clueliss said:

All the Maly kids are over 18. 

Far, far over 18, despite how their writing comes across.   I think Sarah is pushing 40.

• Upvote 5
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, acheronbeach said:

Far, far over 18, despite how their writing comes across.   I think Sarah is pushing 40.

I don't think Sarah is close to 40 just yet although I do think she's in her 30s. Her younger sister Grace was engaged last year and now that's over. So the three adult siblings are all still quite single it seems.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, AnnaSofia said:

If this site is correct, Sarah will be 40 next year:

https://www.exodusbooks.com/sarah-mally/2750/

I'm almost certain that a blog post I read a couple of years ago listed her as 36, too.  

Also, a quick lookup of FJ past posts about them has a reference to her being 35 in May 2014.  

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, clueliss said:

All the Maly kids are over 18. 

Sweet Rufus!  This was a van full of adults, three of whom decided not to buckle up?  

Reminds me a movie (the original Bedazzled?) where there was a leap of faith scene.  Leaping Beryllians walked to the end of the diving board, not knowing if the swimming pool had water in it or not.  If they really believed, they took the Leap of Faith.  Funny stuff. 

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, AnnaSofia said:

If this site is correct, Sarah will be 40 next year:

https://www.exodusbooks.com/sarah-mally/2750/

Whoa, whoa, whoa...for real???

I just don't get it. This is someone who supposedly had/has marriage and motherhood as the WHOLE GOAL. I mean, I know that you don't find the right partner in life just by wanting it, and plenty of wonderful, worthy people are single even when they'd rather be with someone. I get that. But it's like she's not even trying. And it's not like she can claim that a career or higher education has been filling her time.

Maybe she would say that their ministry has been filling her time, but it seems like part-time wheel-spinning to my eyes. Am I wrong? Has she been working/getting educated/putting herself out there? Is their ministry truly full-time work?

Has she dated (or courted, or gotten-to-know) anyone *at all* in the past twenty years? Does she try to meet and interact with new people?

Most interestingly, does she still promote her Prince Charming book??

Edited by Petronella
  • Upvote 7

Oh, there is a whole Maly world of ministry.  I'm on the email list for Bright Lights because I used to be a co-leader of a group at my church.  I get quarterly emails which I post at the link below.  

She (and her siblings) have written other books.  Such as Making Brothers & Sisters Best Friends.  The blog, store and other dandies can be found at the link below.  (take a rescue ferret with you)

http://www.brothersandsisters.net/

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 2

Maybe time for a little less 'Before you meet Prince Charming' an a little more, well...

9780670866892-uk.jpg

ETA: That's a good book, in all seriousness. 

Edited by ViolaSebastian
  • Upvote 16
  • Love 3

40 minutes ago, ViolaSebastian said:

Maybe time for a little less 'Before you meet Prince Charming' an a little more, well...

9780670866892-uk.jpg

ETA: That's a good book, in all seriousness. 

Thanks!!!!  This post comes not one hour after I had a disastrous trip to Nordstroms and finally admitted that my finances are a mess because I'm just terrible at managing them...partially because my dad always managed them and I always assumed my husband would.

WELL, it's long overdue for me to take the reins.  I've ordered it :) 

Also, Mallys, you were saved NOT by Jesus Christ, but by his cousin, Mr. Physics Christ.  If you had been even in a slightly smaller vehicle, this story would be going VERY differently.  If you had been hit by a larger vehicle, same thing.  

SHAME Jesus couldn't have protected the privacy of those in the ER with the Mallys though. 

• Upvote 12
  • Haha 2
  • Love 4

They seem like quite an annoying family, lol. Handing out scrolls with the real Christmas story FROM THE BIBLE, including a questionnaire if you were lucky enough to get Grace, and complete with the obligatory 'we didn't know what we were going to do but God solved our problem' story. Note: meeting up with people who were also working on the exact same project and getting supplies from them is not a cause for wonder. If you didn't know they were going to show up with many more scrolls than you lazy gits made, perhaps you should communicate better. 

I didn't have the patience to watch the video about her dad witnessing to the tree farm guy, but he has my sympathies. 

• Upvote 7

Damn. There was a similar crash here not long ago where the van rolled. Mom was holding the baby on her lap and bent her body over the baby to protect it. She didn’t have a seatbelt on so when her hunched over body hit the roof of the van it snapped her spine. The baby was fine. The mom didn’t make it. The nanny and preschooler had to be life-flighted to a neighboring country. Everyone who was bigger and wearing a seatbelt was fine. 

• Sad 15

1 hour ago, luv2laugh said:

Sarah is very pretty. I’m really surprised that she has not married.

Yes! Pretty and devout and presumably all the other fundie-desirable qualities.

Y'know, I met my husband while I lived alone in a different state from my family, worked full time, freelanced on the side, and had just finished up my masters degree (and was active in my church, too!). And I'm NOT AT ALL pretty. We've been married now for twenty years.

It's almost as if all the fundie rules don't work. "Stay home", "no job or college", "your family is your primary social life"... Huh. I guess if your siblings are your best friends, it kinda rules out the whole "friendship blossoming into love" thing which I HIGHLY recommend.

• Upvote 14
  • Love 1

I can't imagine fundies take their advice on finding a mate since none of them are married and there's been a broken engagement. I'm guessing fundies want to see a bunch of kids happily married off in a family in order to take their advice. I bet fundies would rather read advice from the Bates family even though they've had broken courtships because they seem to have so many happy and successful relationships amongst their grown children. 

• Upvote 10

The younger of the women has a really strange voice although Sarah's is a bit weird too.  It's almost like the inhaled helium or something.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • I Agree 3

I'm skipping the video since I had to listen to tapes with them on it for leader training.  Grace's voice is rather whiney.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thank You 1

9 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

She is, but there is a story  in one of her books where a young man tries to talk to her after church and she literally hides in the bathroom. You can be the prettiest girl in the world, but if you run in the other direction whenever someone tries to get to know you, it's makes it a bit tricky to get married. I really think she has come to believe that any kind of physical attraction or interaction with the opposite sex is sinful. 

I don't know if you guys have seen full length photos, but she is also incredibly, incredibly thin. I normally don't speculate on things like this, but combined with the very high pitched little girl voice and the intense mannerisms, my spidey sense says there's something going on there.

Also--their completely not understanding what Bill Nye meant with the Biblical telephone game comparison drives me fucking batty. I was almost tempted to message them with an explanation with what he meant when this video first came out but realized it would do no good. 

• Upvote 8
  • I Agree 2

10 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

I assume this is sarcasm... have you watched the video?  There's more to attraction the being pretty and the personality of both girls is sorta of nails-on-a-calkboard-ish.   At 35-40ish, both girls have missed out on the young men with stars in their eyes and hormones on overload who will overlook just about anything because -- sex -- and are well into the age of men who won't overlook much because they realize what they'll have to live with.  I hope they find someone if that's their desire but I think it will be more and more of a challenge.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 2

Ok, winter-road accidents happened. One of my relatives - a former law officer - rolled on black ice. He came out ok, in large part because his seatbelt suspended him while the van was on its top, rather than let his vertebrae be crushed, SEVERELY or otherwise. 

What’s making me need a shirt break from FJ is the Mallys’ total jack of acknowledgement that others were spared, too. It seems like weekly if not more more often, there are crossover accidents that result in totally uninvolved people dying or becoming critically injured when a vehicle crosses the center and slams into them. 

But for the Mallys, it’s only about the Mallys. To the poi t that Patriarch Mally gave 15 minutes of sermon time that Sunday to the accident. You survived.  You can move. Get OVER yourselves, give thanks and go do something extra for your fellow human. 

GAH!

I’ll be back when my anger subsides.

• Upvote 6
  • Love 9

What the holy flip did I just listen to? I'm not familiar with this family but maybe over spring break I'll grab a ferret or two and go down the rabbit hole. THOSE VOICES!!! I'm trying to picture my husband, brother-in-law, or any other adult male I know as they assess these presumably adult women for marriage material. Even in my imagination I can see and hear them saying OH HELL NO TO THAT. These women sound like prepubescent chipmunks. How does anyone ever take them seriously? It's not even noon here, but I feel like I need a good, strong drink to wash that out of my brain. 

• Upvote 6

10 hours ago, luv2laugh said:

I imagine that even the fundiest of fundies have more marrying criteria than "pretty." 

Sarah is in the white jacket? Both of the girls in this video are quite pretty, but I wouldn't marry either of them unless they agreed not to talk. Ever. Because those voices! They're practically shrieking with excitement - does it get better or worse after 39 seconds? Because that's all I could take. 

• Upvote 8