IGNORED

Happy 23rd Birthday, Anna Maxwell! (MERGE)

Justme

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

STEVE'S MOUSTACHE!! *lol*

So Anna is the spit of Teri... Which of the guys do we reckon looks most like Steve? I'd say maybe Joseph or John, but I could be wrong.

My vote is for Joseph as the one that looks more like Steve. 

Oh, the wedding pics!  I'd forgotten that Teri got married on her 19th birthday.  She's 2 months younger than me, and I tripped the light fantastic for 5 more years before getting married.  She looks so young.  That is a typical 70s wedding dress with the long sleeves and high neck, not modesty.  She looks lovely.

I'm afraid that I would have found Steve's tux snarkable even in 1974.   It's not the ruffles on the shirt, it's the contrasting black and white of the jacket.  My 19 year old self would have said that tux was naff. :my_dodgy:

Good god fashion sucked in the 70's, especially with regards to men's tuxes. My husband had to don a spectacular powder blue affair as an 'usher'.  And yet I married him anyway.

Good god fashion sucked in the 70's, especially with regards to men's tuxes. My husband had to don a spectacular powder blue affair as an 'usher'.  And yet I married him anyway.

That sounds like the powder blue tux Mr. P wore to his senior prom in 1971.  I think he has burned the evidence now. 

I have an uncle who put all his groomsmen in lilac tuxes, with huge ruffles. The pictures are hideous! He was ok as he wore his Marine dress blues.

I have an uncle who put all his groomsmen in lilac tuxes, with huge ruffles. The pictures are hideous! He was ok as he wore his Marine dress blues.

Perhaps the bride picked the tuxes to match the bridesmaids?  Otherwise it's like making the bridesmaids wear hideous dresses so that the bride looks better! 

Truly though, today's high fashion is tomorrow's fashion disaster. :)

Perhaps the bride picked the tuxes to match the bridesmaids?  Otherwise it's like making the bridesmaids wear hideous dresses so that the bride looks better! 

Truly though, today's high fashion is tomorrow's fashion disaster. :)

yup, they matched the bridesmaids. I look back at my parents early 1960's wedding picture. They are elegant. A bride could were her dress today. The groomsmen were in simple black suits and the maids in royal blue cocktail dresses.

That sounds like the powder blue tux Mr. P wore to his senior prom in 1971.  I think he has burned the evidence now. 

If I had a time machine I'd have used it just to have been able to get married where I could have made him wear a powder blue tux!  I know tacky now, but loved that!

She looks terrible, in that picture. It may well be the worst picture we have seen of her this year, and yet they choose it as her special birthday spotlight photo.  It's not really about snarking on Anna's looks.  It's just another example of the fact that non of the Maxwell's have a good eye or good taste.  Someone saw that picture of Anna and thought, yeah, that's the one! 

That's my opinion as well.  She looks fine and we ALL have moments where our hair is behaving in an unauthorized manner but neither of my sisters would have posted that particular pic.  That's a "yikes!  Would have been a great pic if your hair had behaved - let's do it again."  This isn't an indictment for anything about Anna...just whomever chose the shot.

And regarding health, I'll be honest (and I am not diagnosing anyone with anything) if her hair were colored and over processed that could account for it's condition but I think it look particularly unhealthy for someone who doesn't bleach her hair.  There are nutritional and some easily corrected medical issues that can cause that kind of damage and if it were my daughter I'd want her to get checked out.  I'd expect a 23 year old in good health who doesn't chemically process her hair to have glossy, healthy looking hair no matter the style or whether it was brushed or not.  

Maybe she overuses a flat iron without heat protection - who knows - but I'm not snarking on her style or even that it's not brushed...I do think it looks quite unhealthy though (although her skin and eyes are glowing and she looks very healthy in that sense.)

They do allow people to come over, but only if they first pass muster, and then always under the watchful eye of Steve and Teri (the Maxwell children are not allowed to go over to anybody else's house).  They do not believe that children need friendships or activities with children their own age, they should only be friends with their siblings.  So - it is conceivable that they would meet a friend at church that would be holy enough for Steve that would come over to their house and would be okay with Bible study/service work/other work for the entire time that they "played," but it's not a recipe for deep friendship

It's so sad. If the only children who are allowed to play with the Maxwell children come from families that believe the 'right' things, then no one will ever come over because those families also won't allow their children to go visit others. :( 

That's my opinion as well.  She looks fine and we ALL have moments where our hair is behaving in an unauthorized manner but neither of my sisters would have posted that particular pic.  That's a "yikes!  Would have been a great pic if your hair had behaved - let's do it again."  This isn't an indictment for anything about Anna...just whomever chose the shot.

And regarding health, I'll be honest (and I am not diagnosing anyone with anything) if her hair were colored and over processed that could account for it's condition but I think it look particularly unhealthy for someone who doesn't bleach her hair.  There are nutritional and some easily corrected medical issues that can cause that kind of damage and if it were my daughter I'd want her to get checked out.  I'd expect a 23 year old in good health who doesn't chemically process her hair to have glossy, healthy looking hair no matter the style or whether it was brushed or not.  

Maybe she overuses a flat iron without heat protection - who knows - but I'm not snarking on her style or even that it's not brushed...I do think it looks quite unhealthy though (although her skin and eyes are glowing and she looks very healthy in that sense.)

Yeah.  I was reacting to the overstatement of  "terrible."  Bad hair days can happen to anyone and she looks fine.  I think the Maxwells in general have bad taste in picking the photographs.  There are some very unflattering ones of Teri around too.

It may not be a health problem though.   Sarah and Anna both have fine wispy hair, but Mary's looks thicker.  I have that kind of very fine, wavy, flyaway hair too.   I've had it all my life, healthy or not, bleaching it or not.  It needs regular trimming to keep it healthy looking, care with heat styling because that damages it, and copious amounts of product to look decent. I love Frizz-Ease. Then get caught out in a shower of rain and let it air dry and it fluffs out and looks just like Anna's! 

I can't believe how much Anna looks like Teri. I'm sorry if this is not nice, but I'd love to see Teri dye her hair. That gray just doesn't work for her. 

Looking at dh's pix from his first wedding (I'm the second and last wife!) the fellows wore these powder blue getups that looked like matadors, or mariachi players.  For being in the 70's, Steve's getup looks positively spiffy in comparison.

Yeah.  I was reacting to the overstatement of  "terrible."  Bad hair days can happen to anyone and she looks fine.  I think the Maxwells in general have bad taste in picking the photographs.  There are some very unflattering ones of Teri around too.

It may not be a health problem though.   Sarah and Anna both have fine wispy hair, but Mary's looks thicker.  I have that kind of very fine, wavy, flyaway hair too.   I've had it all my life, healthy or not, bleaching it or not.  It needs regular trimming to keep it healthy looking, care with heat styling because that damages it, and copious amounts of product to look decent. I love Frizz-Ease. Then get caught out in a shower of rain and let it air dry and it fluffs out and looks just like Anna's! 

Oh it definitely could be heat styling or a lot of other things than medical - just once you've had a medical thing happen where unhealthy hair was a major clue the tendency is to want to rule it out.  I didn't think Anna's hair was wavy...if so and it's usually so straight in pics she may well be using a flat iron or something and those things are the WORST if you aren't heat protecting.

I would have thought her hair texture was similar to mine - very Marcia Brady straight and fine.  The kind where when you're 23 you can just brush it and light relects because it's so smooth but you cannot do a damn thing with it and it holds a curl for about 8 seconds, on a good day.  The one nice thing about getting older is if I don't blow dry I have a little wave to it now.  That happened right around when I turned 40 and it's nice to have a little body to it and does hold a curl better than it did in the day.  

But I do agree that she doesn't look terrible by any stretch - she looks like a pretty young woman in a not great picture.  And agreed on this family having no ability to vet pictures.  

I can't believe how much Anna looks like Teri. I'm sorry if this is not nice, but I'd love to see Teri dye her hair. That gray just doesn't work for her. 

I'm a huge fan of woman not coloring their hair unless they want to.  Gray hair can be very pretty and I think it's great she doesn't feel the need to color.  It certainly is more flattering to most people than keeping a very dark color once they are older.  Lighter hair around the face softens our skin and actually keeps our faces looking younger.  I color, but as I got into my mid 40s I went a little lighter especially the pieces that frame my face, because less contrast = less harshness.  

I'm just waiting until I'm completely gray and can go all Rose Nylund cotton candy blonde  :)

I think Teri's issue when it comes to be photogenic is not her looks, but her countenance (for lack of a better word.)  She doesn't look happy and when they shows in a pic the best hair in the world can't mask that.

Also, I think I remember someone here, @Palimpsest was it you?  Who said she'd seen her speak in person and she's much prettier in person.  Being photogenic is really a thing and some people will just never look that great in pictures even if they are lovely in real life.  I am SO glad my camera shy self didn't have to come of age in the era of the selfie.  I'd have become JD Salinger (the recluse part, not his genius) before I got to highschool.

I'm just waiting until I'm completely gray and can go all Rose Nylund cotton candy blonde  :)

Oh my gosh, I say this all the time too. Someday I can't wait to have white hair so I can dye it Rose Nylund blonde!  :pb_lol:

Some people look amazing even with a million gray hairs and lines on their faces. Teri just looks sad and defeated, despite everything else

Those muffins look undercooked, but maybe it's just a bad picture. 

So they went to Olive Garden and just got soup, salad and breadsticks, i.e. the cheapest thing on the menu? Wasn't anyone hungry?  I sometimes get soup, salad and breadsticks if I don't want to eat much or if I'm really in the mood for minestrone, but usually I get something else like fettucini alfredo.  Sometimes (horrors!) I even get a glass of wine.

Olive Garden has made me throw up every single time my mom has dragged me there. She got addicted to the place working on the road for years. Somehow, that seems fitting for a Maxwell meal.

Poor Anna! That truly is a terrible picture! I agree with the poster who said Anna lacks the skill set to care/style her hair. Perhaps she doesn't use the right products for her type. I think she would greatly benefit from watching hair styling tutorials on YouTube. But let's face it, that will never happen! 

I don't think it's so much of Anna having a "bad hair day", rather, poor photography skills. As they have little imagination and/or creativity, they search the web for poses. Their attempts to  duplicate are clumsy. They probably saw a picture of a pretty girl with wind blown hair. Their recreation, well, typical Maxwell...

I can't believe you guys are implying the Maxwells are anything less than perfect at what they attempt. Sarah and Christopher are both brilliant photographers, and Anna is a master hair stylist. It looks exactly the way she wanted it to.

/Maxwell logic

Also, I think I remember someone here, @Palimpsest was it you?  Who said she'd seen her speak in person and she's much prettier in person.  Being photogenic is really a thing and some people will just never look that great in pictures even if they are lovely in real life.  I am SO glad my camera shy self didn't have to come of age in the era of the selfie.  I'd have become JD Salinger (the recluse part, not his genius) before I got to highschool.

Yes, exactly.  Other people have said the same thing too, Treemom?  The Maxwell women are very attractive in person - they are just not terribly photogenic. 

I stopped coloring my hair a couple of years ago.  Keeping up with coloring was too much of a pain in the butt. My natural color was light brown/dark blond and I now have a wide skunk-like white streak.    I call it growing old gracefully and the hell with what people think!

Yes, exactly.  Other people have said the same thing too, Treemom?  The Maxwell women are very attractive in person - they are just not terribly photogenic. 

I stopped coloring my hair a couple of years ago.  Keeping up with coloring was too much of a pain in the butt. My natural color was light brown/dark blond and I now have a wide skunk-like white streak.    I call it growing old gracefully and the hell with what people think!

I have crap hair but I don't have a lot of grey yet. I was wondering how one transitions away from the colouring the roots rigmarole.  I can't remember how my mum did it but she now sports a lovely natural colour.  Saves a lot of money, too.  

I have crap hair but I don't have a lot of grey yet. I was wondering how one transitions away from the colouring the roots rigmarole.  I can't remember how my mum did it but she now sports a lovely natural colour.  Saves a lot of money, too.  

Have a colorist dye it as close to you natural color as possible is my guess. Maybe lots of lowlights too?

Archived