IGNORED

Happy 23rd Birthday, Anna Maxwell! (MERGE)

Justme

I also am guessing that they tried to limit the food they got so that all/most of the food for 18 (was that the number) people could be purchased with the gift whomever gave Anna the gift card or cash. Any bets that Steve orders for the table????

ETA... this bit from the turning 18 makes me think there was a potential courtship in the wind, but it fizzled somehow. 

Time flew by, until it was 10:30, and Anna was going to squeeze in a little time to work with Sarah. Anna is training to be able to do Sarah’s job. For now, this will help Sarah to get the Moody book written, but as is hoped, someday the Lord will bring the right guy for Sarah, and she’ll no longer be available to do what she does.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm pretty sure that they do go to bed very early so I don't think we can blame sleep deprivation—probably one of the few things that aren't to blame.

Can't speak for the Maxwells, because who the fuck knows why they get up early, but speaking as former bed slug turned early riser (no later than 5am), I found that as I got older, morning became my most productive time. I get up, take care of the pets, do at least a half hour of meditation, do freelance work (I've had clients respond to emails I've sent at 5:30!), take care of stuff like paying the bills, head out to the garden during the season, start my baking on weekends and sometimes during the week, then watch the news before showering and heading out the door for work at 8. When I get home, it's quiet time for me since I'm pretty much worn out (thanks in no small part to balance and hearing issues that take a lot out of me). Mr. Sparkles also works a second job most nights, so I hang with the pets, read, do some online learning, nighttime meditation and then head to bed around 10. So while I'm okay with early rising and know how I fill my days, I have no idea how the Maxwells spend their time and why getting up at the butt crack of dawn is so important to them.

Hey Sparkles, that's exactly how I do it. I've also become a very early riser as morning is my most productive time of day! 

Some days I wish my day was as structured and productive as the Maxwells. I'd like to stay with them for a week or two just to adapt to the rhythm...

That 18th birthday post was one of the most depressing (and poorly-written) things I've ever read.

On my 18th birthday, I was living on campus in my freshman year of college, in a different state than my family. I'm sure I got a phone call from home and a gift package in the mail. I was happy and did not feel neglected in any way. My new college friends (of my own age and choosing) gave me a few little gifts and we watched movies in someone's dorm room that night. I've never been one to party hardy, so this was a great day for me. I was legally an adult and starting to feel like an independent adult. Everything I just wrote would be considered a SIN for Anna - five years ago and today. At least she got a handful of M&Ms to ration until the next year, I guess.

These days I am always up and productive at 5:30 am and pretty darn useless if I'm awake after 9:00 pm.  I was a dedicated night owl throughout my teens and twenties.  It has to do with the different circadian rhythms of children, teens, and adults.  It has big implications for sleep deprivation in teens.  Interesting article on this here: 

Ditto. And keep in mind, that was a special day, not an ordinary work day. :pb_eek:

And this sentence is from a supposedly successful and published author, "Then, Anna opened presents, with help from Abby, who was extremely delighted to be apart." 

I'd be extremely delighted to be apart from that family too!

That's the second time today I've seen "apart" when the writer clearly meant "a part".  I wonder why that's so difficult?  Or is it a spell check problem?

I'd be extremely delighted to be apart from that family too!

That's the second time today I've seen "apart" when the writer clearly meant "a part".  I wonder why that's so difficult?  Or is it a spell check problem?

In this case, it is a lack of a decent education.

On Anna’s actual birthday, in Spokane, when, bless her heart, she was totally down and out, a family gifted her in an incredible way. They handed a card to one of the Maxwells at the conference, and it was for the birthday girl.

What is that supposed to mean?  I've heard of being totally down as in depressed, and down and out as in broke but why is the writer telling us that Anna was broke?  As the birthday girl shouldn't her parents be taking her out?  Is there another way to interpret "totally down and out"? 

Later on they have "Turtle cheesecake time (minus the pecans)" which I take to mean some sort of caramel topped cheesecake.  Why no pecans?  Why the need to tell us about not having no pecans?  Bizarre bunch of people.

What is that supposed to mean?  I've heard of being totally down as in depressed, and down and out as in broke but why is the writer telling us that Anna was broke?  As the birthday girl shouldn't her parents be taking her out?  Is there another way to interpret "totally down and out"? 

Later on they have "Turtle cheesecake time (minus the pecans)" which I take to mean some sort of caramel topped cheesecake.  Why no pecans?  Why the need to tell us about not having no pecans?  Bizarre bunch of people.

I would interpret it as Anna was not feeling well on her actual birthday.  Not sure about that interpretation though, that's just how it struck me when I read it.

The part of it that made me :pull-hair: the most was when the waitress responded to their question "how can we pray for you" by asking them to pray for strength, and they apparently then inquired what that exactly meant.

Nothing irks me more than when I give someone a vague "please stop bugging me" answer to be polite (instead of telling them straight out that I'm uninterested) and they ask for more specifics.  I think that's so rude!  I actually heard a version of it lately -- a friend was approached by a neighbor he's not especially fond of.  She says she's having a bonfire BBQ on X day and he's invited.  He says to her "Thanks, but I already have plans for that night" and she then asks what those plans are!  :shock:  So he makes up a story that he's coming to visit me and she persists again, "Oh, what are you going to be doing at her house?"  Unspeakably rude, IMO.

Not only making the waitress answer the question, but then going on to ask for more details...:kitty-cussing:  

Her birthday activities did remind me that I need to learn how to clean my glass stovetop and get all the scorch marks off, so thanks Anna! Sorry about your absolutely boring 18th birthday. 

Take a close look at the group picture (from the b-day link). Granddad appears to have gone "rogue" and ordered a coke or something. All the other glasses are filled with water, his is dark. :coke:

I looked at the prior post, and the next post. Both were of Chris and Anna's wedding. Boy, Joseph is no better a photographer than Chris. The lighting is off, faces unfocused. The pictures are awful. Why oh why are they standing on a train track. That is so dangerous. (I live near many tracks and there are so many accidents because of foolishness.)

I would die in that house, I mean sleep and food deprivation? No, thank you! I haaaaaaaaaaate getting up early, getting up at 5am everyday would be my biggest nightmare... Thank you Jesus I work from home and don't have to get up before 7am. 

I just read the link to Anna's 18 birthday. I hope this year she has a more fun* afternoon than scrubbing the stove top. 

*or at least the Maxwell version of what some might call "fun"

Polishing the stovetop jumped out at me too. Its an advertisement for prospective spouses. Hey my daughter does not in any way expect special treatment on her birthday. Breadsticks and salad and she is good to go, she is a hard worker and still has all her teeth!

Just want to remind everyone that Olive Garden serves ALL YOU CAN EAT soup, salad and breadsticks - so perhaps they were allowed to have a second bowl of minestrone and share another family bowl of salad.  Party down, Maxwells!  :wow:

Since there's no tv, books or any other form of entertainment, I guess bed at 9:00 isn't so bad. I'd probably want to go to bed, too, just to get the hell away from Steve. 

The Maxhell birthdays are so sad. I guess salad and breadsticks are better than non-bean burritos and two animal crackers. :pb_rollseyes:

I suspect the only reason they have to brainstorm the moody trivia is how to monetize it.  Am i too cynical to think that was the plan when they mentioned it and they may have asked about it themselves to get people thinking about it?

Man, this is sad:

Written by Sarah herself, 5 (in words: five) years ago. 

So if Sarah manages to get married, she won't be allowed to write her books anymore and the job will fall to Mary?   Or does she mean whatever her job is for the family business (blogging and whatever else she does)?

If memory serves, she is an "expert on nutrition" so she does the majority of the cooking and makes smoothies.  She also picks out the matching skirts and shirts for the immediate family to wear to conferences.  Other than that, I really don't know.  Packs up books for mailing out, perhaps.

Don't forget she's also Lolly the Clown! 

That post was a nightmare to read!! I have ADD and I'm not sure if it's my attention issues or the writing, but damn it! I had to read each paragraph a couple of times to get through it. :angry-banghead: 

I just don't even have words! As an avid reader, I'm offended by the writing! And it's boring as fuck. I know I've said this before, but I don't know how you guys read their blog regularly! 

So if Sarah manages to get married, she won't be allowed to write her books anymore and the job will fall to Mary?   Or does she mean whatever her job is for the family business (blogging and whatever else she does)?

I believe that it's her job for the family business. This wasn't the only time they mentioned one of the younger sisters eventually taking over Sarah's jobs. 

I assume, though, that Sarah would have stopped writing. I've always been under the impression that it isn't something Sarah particularly enjoys (her insistance to the contrary notwithstanding). She does it because Steve and Teri told her to. 

Thought I would beat Sarah to it.  We love you and look forward to what the Lord Jesus has in store for you.  Trivia fact-Anna loves kids!

Happy Bday Anna! I know you won't be having fun and I feel bad for you in so many ways so I just wish you a peaceful day and maybe someday you get to escape that nightmare of a life u have.

Archived