IGNORED

“Certificate Of Purity”

Ralar

Some crazy, funsy bride in Maryland presented her father with a "Certificate of Purity" at her wedding reception.

I was able to present a certificate of purity to [my father] signed by my doctor that my hymen was still intact. Also the covenant he gave me when I was 13. When you honor God, your life will automatically honor others! I love you daddy

12141902_1079491572068737_615878519_n.jp

http://www.buzzfeed.com/terripous/this-brides-certificate-of-purity-is-causing-a-massive-debat?utm_term=.cidDPQZaL#.qw890x4Ly

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is just GROSS.

And who is the doctor who would sign off on something like this? They should have their license taken away.

I'm so glad someone started another thread on this again. This is such a weird story. As someone said on the shelter, even when applying fundie logic, wouldn't it make more sense to give it her her husband, not her DAD???

On 10/21/2015 at 7:27 PM, IreneIssh said:
I'm so glad someone started another thread on this again. This is such a weird story. As someone said on the shelter, even when applying fundie logic, wouldn't it make more sense to give it her her husband, not her DAD???

Well daddy is husband till hubby does his manly duty. And we wonder why the world thinks we are crazy.

So up until now, I thought the ickiest possible thing that could come out of a fundie wedding was the bride who made her husbands wedding band out of her purity ring (which was of course explained during the vows).

I stand corrected.

:puke-front:

That is such BS... I pretty sure that whole hymen thing has been debunked as a piss poor way of telling if someone is still a virgin. I would question the doctor that signed off on that!

this is just disturbing on so many levels. and i thought those "purity balls" were weird and disgusting! i guess the fundie world is becoming more and more like florida...just more crazy coming out to top the crazy that came before (no offense to any fjer floridians).

I read that the bride's sister did the same thing at her wedding a few years prior.  Apparently, the pastor's son did have premarital sex, but don't worry, dad "loves them all the same".  I wonder if he'd be able to say that if one of his female children decided that her body was her own, not daddy's or her husband's? 

I hope this repulsive act does not become part of the standard fundie wedding.  On top of completely ignoring bodily autonomy, I can't imagine the shame of the poor virgin bride who has a broken hymen, no hymen at all, or was the victim of sexual abuse. 

Sick people!

this is just disturbing on so many levels. and i thought those "purity balls" were weird and disgusting! i guess the fundie world is becoming more and more like florida...just more crazy coming out to top the crazy that came before (no offense to any fjer floridians).

None taken.  Flori-duh is well known for the crazies.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/the-101-most-insane-things-that-have-ever-happened-in-florid#.rkZJ4GQ14d

Link not broken 'cause I don't have to!  THANKS Mods.

I just want to state one more time for all posterity: That physician that signed that document is reprehensible and should have his license taken away. I just can't even imagine an OB/GYN that would encourage and support this kind of crap in his professional capacity as a doctor...but apparently he's out there and in the Baltimore-Washington metropolitan area.

And if the doctor found out her hymen wasn't intact (for whatever reason), what to do then?

This is really sick.

That's exactly what I thought when I read it too! She may not have even had one, or it could have been broken and she didn't know. What kind of doctor does this? Are there Christian OB/GYNs that specialize in this? 

This is so completely disgusting. And serious fucking shame on the doctor that agreed to do this purity check. This is something out of the dark ages, and God help us if this becomes common again. People like this are scared to DEATH that a woman might dare to embrace her sexuality and sleep with as many people as they want, because then they wouldn't be under anyone's control. This stuff makes my blood boil. 

I have to wonder what the wedding guests felt about this. 

And of COURSE the dad said it was fine when it came out that his son had sex before marriage.

It really terrifies me that there is a practicing doctor out there who signed off on this. I am scared for the young women or girls who have been assaulted and who have him as a doctor. How awful that must be for them knowing that he treats an intact hymen as a sign of sexual purity and sexual purity as a sign of a woman's worth.

i didn't even think about that! if they presented it during the ceremony, i would feel extremely awkward as a guest!

I just want to state one more time for all posterity: That physician that signed that document is reprehensible and should have his license taken away. I just can't even imagine an OB/GYN that would encourage and support this kind of crap in his professional capacity as a doctor...but apparently he's out there and in the Baltimore-Washington metropolitan area.

I'm in that general area and I had a doctor who probably would have been willing to sign of on this.....

Needless to say I won't be returning to their office.

I saw a trailer for the movie 'Suffragette' and all I could think was how these fucking fundies are trying to set us back. What those women went through to get us where we are!  All so that we can present purity/intact hymen certificates to the men in our lives (who lord over us - can't find the strikeout thingy).  Unbelievable!   (The movie looks like it might be good, btw.) 

I totally could not have gotten married if this was a requirement. Totally.

Archived