IGNORED

“Certificate Of Purity”

Ralar

I just don't get it. Why would anyone involved WANT this?Additionally, what would she have done if she had torn her hymen via exercise or tampon use? Would she be damaged goods?

or what if she wasn't born with a hymen? you think her dad would have believed her?

Would the doctor have given her a Certificate of Whoredom if her hymen was broken?

ETA: I might make myself up one of those. You know, make it official. 

ooo, can i get one of those? :D

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's so much wrong with this it's hard to focus on one thing, but I keep thinking how weird it is that it's HIS name on the certificate, not hers. So much creepy and dangerous patriarchal nonsense all around.

Haven't seen this mentioned, but the OB/GYN is a woman -- I saw an image of the certificate on another site and was able to zoom in enough to read her name. From googling, I see she's a relatively young woman, too. How awful that she participated in this travesty.

WHAT? Her DAD'S name was on the certificate??? I didn't even realize you could zoom in that much. That is so creepy. 

There's so much wrong with this it's hard to focus on one thing, but I keep thinking how weird it is that it's HIS name on the certificate, not hers. So much creepy and dangerous patriarchal nonsense all around.

Haven't seen this mentioned, but the OB/GYN is a woman -- I saw an image of the certificate on another site and was able to zoom in enough to read her name. From googling, I see she's a relatively young woman, too. How awful that she participated in this travesty.

WHAT? Her DAD'S name was on the certificate??? I didn't even realize you could zoom in that much. That is so creepy. 

Ok ick! The grossness factor just went up another notch! And I didn't think that was possible! 

Ok ick! The grossness factor just went up another notch! And I didn't think that was possible! 

This is beyond disgusting, and once again shows that fundies consider females to be first the property of their fathers before being given to their new owners, their husbands. :brainbleach:

Yep. Congratulations, Dad... no one touched me except you and my husband!

Yep. Congratulations, Dad... no one touched me except you and my husband!

And the doctor who performed the invasive examination to prove it to you!

I think what cracks me up is the possibility of a good Christian girl doing everything but p-i-v before marriage, and still qualifying as a virgin.

Do you think there will be fundie girls telling their weird controlling dads they just didn't make it to the doctor's before the wedding?

That's sort of the only thing that I can think of as far as being a doctor who would actually agree to sign off on something like this -  

"I'm afraid of what my weird controlling dad will do if I can't present him with 'proof'..."

"...OK, I will sign this for you, and here's a few hotline numbers you can call for help."

I guess purity rings/balls are old hat now. Any old fundie can say they've remained pure until marriage. But only the holiest of the holy can be inspected and certified by a questionable doctor Jesus himself!

We are one step away from gyno exams during the wedding ceremony.

I guess purity rings/balls are old hat now. Any old fundie can say they've remained pure until marriage. But only the holiest of the holy can be inspected and certified by a questionable doctor Jesus himself!

We are one step away from gyno exams during the wedding ceremony.

And a bloody sheet put on display the morning after.

Do you think there will be fundie girls telling their weird controlling dads they just didn't make it to the doctor's before the wedding?

Suggestions for a new post count title:

Certified VirginTM

Lost My Certificate Of Purity

God I love "Certified Virgin"!!

Also,

The dog ate my Certificate of Purity

Are there any fundies selling custom-made Certified Virgin certificates  on the Internet? Like, all Pinterest-y with fancy calligraphy?

If not--get on it, Maxwells!

I linked this article over on my post in the shelter: https://homeschoolersanonymous.wordpress.com/2015/10/20/what-do-certificates-of-purity-communicate-to-sexual-assault-survivors/

HA takes it from the angle that this makes recovery from SA within the church even harder. I would agree.

I can't even imagine going for that exam. My father and I have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy about this subject, and I can absolutely get with that.

I can't even imagine going for that exam. My father and I have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy about this subject, and I can absolutely get with that.

Serious question- are premarital exams not a thing??? Pretty much everyone in my family "had" to have one regardless of if they were considering birth control or not...

Serious question- are premarital exams not a thing??? Pretty much everyone in my family "had" to have one regardless of if they were considering birth control or not...

Huh, I haven't heard of this being a thing. You had to have one for legal reasons or for social acceptance? And what was the reason? Is this common where you live? 

First time poster, long time lurker. I always understood that the hymen isn't something that does necessarily can be "broken". Depending on the individual women's body. FYI, not married with a kid so most definitely not a possibility. 

My grandmother flat out made my mother get one to prove she was still a virgin. The rest of my aunts (and some of my cousins so we're talking within the past 10 years) got them even if they were against birth control, wanted home births, were anti-medicine etc. I'm not married myself but I've heard enough stories about how "traumatic" pre-marital exams were that I thought it was a universal experience.

My family's from the rural south (and most people here would consider us fundie/fundie light) but we're not isolationist or anything. My mom has 2 college degrees, we've all done a decent amount of travel and I would consider most of us to be fairly well educated. But we do have some very old/toxic beliefs.

where are you from? And more importantly, why should you have an exam?

So, the thing I most wonder and haven't seen mentioned anywhere so far is whose idea this was in the first place. The dad? The fiance (now husband)? Or maybe the daughter was so steeped in fundie purity teachings and incorrect understandings of her own anatomy (possibly thanks to a SOTDRT) that she decided on her own that it would be a good idea? 

Any of the possibilities are disturbing, but for some reason I'd really like to know which it was. 

So, the thing I most wonder and haven't seen mentioned anywhere so far is whose idea this was in the first place. The dad? The fiance (now husband)? Or maybe the daughter was so steeped in fundie purity teachings and incorrect understandings of her own anatomy (possibly thanks to a SOTDRT) that she decided on her own that it would be a good idea? 

Any of the possibilities are disturbing, but for some reason I'd really like to know which it was. 

Two articles I saw say that her older sister did it first when she married six years ago complete with the presentation at the wedding; so I assume from that point onward, there was pressure on her to do the same. 

I cannot even imagine how awkward the guests must have felt during that little presentation. Because when you are eating some cake and having a nice social time, you absolutely want to pause and think about someone's pelvic exam. :brainbleach:

Two articles I saw say that her older sister did it first when she married six years ago complete with the presentation at the wedding; so I assume from that point onward, there was pressure on her to do the same. 

I cannot even imagine how awkward the guests must have felt during that little presentation. Because when you are eating some cake and having a nice social time, you absolutely want to pause and think about someone's pelvic exam. :brainbleach:

The moment I decided I might not want to wait until marriage was when my cousin's husband gave a speech about "blood on the sheets" during the cake cutting.

It was as uncomfortable as it sounds.

Ok, the blood on the sheets thing is bs. I did not bleed my first time. And as I understand, that is something that does not necessarily happens. 

Ok, the blood on the sheets thing is bs. I did not bleed my first time. And as I understand, that is something that does not necessarily happens. 

I bled quite a bit. So it was true for me! Unfortunately. 

I showed this to my partner and she didn't believe it was real.  Poe's law getting all crazy up in here!

i told my fiance all about this last night. one of the very few times i've rendered him speechless. the last time that happened, i had just told him i was pregnant, so that's quite a feat.

Archived