IGNORED

“Certificate Of Purity”

Ralar

If I ever had a hymen, I lost it long before my virginity. I had read enough to know about the tradition of "blessing" the marital sheets with lambs blood to protect a woman from accusations, that I knew to look for at least staining. Nada.

It's funny though, I remember watching the miracle of life on nova with my dad when I was really little.  I don't remember a time when I didn't know about my lady bits. I had a ridiculous amount of trouble with tampons at first. I never got them installed properly at first.

FTR I don't see a problem with a dad (or mom for that matter) letting a boy at the door know that a daughter is protected. The whole "Whatever you do to her, I'll do to you" is a bit much. I think of it more like "Be respectful, or you'll have me to deal with". It may seem sexist, but the sad truth is that a girl is a lot more likely to run into problems with an aggressive date than a boy (not that it's unheard of). I know my husband will likely not say two words to a date. He'll simply be cleaning a gun. He would never use it, but I don't have a problem with a teenage boy knowing he has it.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was talk of virginity exams when Prince William married Kate, since Diana was examined & declared a virgin before she married Charles.

There was talk of virginity exams when Prince William married Kate, since Diana was examined & declared a virgin before she married Charles.

I think virginity exams for Kate would have been a bit redundant, as she and William had been living together for years before the wedding.:my_biggrin:

As for Princess Diana, it's a long time ago, but as far as I remember it was her father who announced she was definitely still a virgin, at the prompting of the oh-so-not-intrusive British tabloid press.:my_rolleyes:

I understand the concerns in the olden times that royal families wouldn't want their heir to be somebody else's child, but these days a pregnancy test would easily settle if the bride is pregnant before the wedding or not. And the virgin bride could get pregnant by their bodyguard after the wedding... 

Although I read from the tabloids that Charles insisted Kate can have only female bodyguards so that's one less threat to her purity I guess :o

http://www.express.co.uk/comment/columnists/adam-helliker/604806/Charles-female-only-approach-the-Duchess-Cambridge

I understand the concerns in the olden times that royal families wouldn't want their heir to be somebody else's child, but these days a pregnancy test would easily settle if the bride is pregnant before the wedding or not. And the virgin bride could get pregnant by their bodyguard after the wedding... 

Although I read from the tabloids that Charles insisted Kate can have only female bodyguards so that's one less threat to her purity I guess :o

http://www.express.co.uk/comment/columnists/adam-helliker/604806/Charles-female-only-approach-the-Duchess-Cambridge

I mean, she's had two kids now and she's been with Wills for over a decade. I doubt she needs to "protect" her purity. I doubt she was "pure" when they married (maybe she didn't have other sexual partners besides him, but I don't think for a second that they didn't have protected sex before they married). Though I do think that female bodyguards, especially ones who don't look so big and imposing, could be very practical, since they could just look like some friends when she's out and about, making her look less conspicuous. If you see a very well-dressed lady with long brown hair walking around Waitrose with three big burly dudes with little earpieces, you might think "OMG K-Midz". But if you see that same lady just walking around with some other ladies who are dressed pretty much the same as her, you might think "ugh, everyone is trying to copy Kate Middleton these days" and be none the wiser. A lot of VIP types are hiring female bodyguards now for that reason.

It seems likely that Kate's virginity wasn't an issue at the wedding but I think the royals still have some concerns about the royal wives "purity" in terms of their monogamous fidelity. The monarchy is getting oldfashioned and in some countries there's occasional talk about getting rid of the expensive institution, and a scandal about an affair and gossip about who's the father of the royal heirs to the throne could help make people more anti-monarchy.    

I think virginity exams for Kate would have been a bit redundant, as she and William had been living together for years before the wedding.:my_biggrin:

As for Princess Diana, it's a long time ago, but as far as I remember it was her father who announced she was definitely still a virgin, at the prompting of the oh-so-not-intrusive British tabloid press.:my_rolleyes:

There is no reliable source that ever indicated she was examined or that the Royal family had any interest in the matter. There is speculation that is more well founded that the Queen and Prince Phillip liked that she was very young and thus had no skeletons to come out of her closet, but that did not necessarily mean previous lovers. If they were so hell bent on virgin brides, Sarah Ferguson never would have made it through the vetting. 

William and Kate were living together long before their engagement. That ship had long since sailed and there was no indication that it mattered to anyone in William's family. 

I mean, if she'd been examined, what would they say- oh, no, not a virgin...been sleeping with Wills! Much better to say they find the practice antiquated and unnecessary and thus be lauded for joining this century and no longer treating women like cattle. Saves them embarrassment, and in the process gets them a little bit of approval.

So, the thing I most wonder and haven't seen mentioned anywhere so far is whose idea this was in the first place. The dad? The fiance (now husband)? Or maybe the daughter was so steeped in fundie purity teachings and incorrect understandings of her own anatomy (possibly thanks to a SOTDRT) that she decided on her own that it would be a good idea? 

Any of the possibilities are disturbing, but for some reason I'd really like to know which it was. 

Two articles I saw say that her older sister did it first when she married six years ago complete with the presentation at the wedding; so I assume from that point onward, there was pressure on her to do the same. 

I cannot even imagine how awkward the guests must have felt during that little presentation. Because when you are eating some cake and having a nice social time, you absolutely want to pause and think about someone's pelvic exam. :brainbleach:

Sounds like a good reason to hate your sister if it were anyone normal. But of course these people aren't normal. 

I couldn't have a bridal shower in my mother's church because I refused to sign a paper stating that I was not pregnant. I was still a virgin at the time (although not all time until wedding). I just couldn't think of anything that was less their business.

Sorry for the TMI, but since we are sharing...when I "lost" my virginity at 14 (I really hate that term) I bled not only during, but for 2 days after. Then I didn't have sex again for about 6 years (long story), and when I did, I fucking bled AGAIN. I must have a super-hymen. 

My guess is that any exams would be ensuring that a potential royal bride is capable of having children, not purity. In this day and age, anyway.

afaik the bleeding is not the breaking of the hymen, but from trauma to the vagina. And by trauma, I don't mean violence. Sex can be traumatic to a vagina that's not used to that movement combined with such an object. 

Good thing all those mothers who restricted their daughter's activities to protect her hymen didn't hear my daughter's story.  She lost hers with a routine use of toilet paper.  She was about 8 and came to me saying she peed out a worm.  No bleeding or pain.  

My guess is that any exams would be ensuring that a potential royal bride is capable of having children, not purity. In this day and age, anyway.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

That is actually what I remember being rumored around Kate and William's wedding. I also remember thinking what would happen if they found out that she wouldn't be able to have kids. Would they really have called the wedding off?

My husband is an obgyn and it's not uncommon for parents to ask for virginity tests at the hospital he works at.

Also, when he was in medical school he giving a woman a pelvic exam and saw something weird he hadn't seen before. He got his attending to take a look who informed him it was a hymen, lol.

On 10/30/2015 at 2:00 PM, prayawaythefundie said:
That is actually what I remember being rumored around Kate and William's wedding. I also remember thinking what would happen if they found out that she wouldn't be able to have kids. Would they really have called the wedding off?

I think William would have been likely to walk away before calling off the wedding. I think it might be the first actual love match between an heir and his wife. Personally I'd take Harry. He's way more fun.

I'm a sucker for a ginger too.

I don't think it's the first love match, but they do seem fairly rare.

How did he end up looking so Scottish? Is the house of Windsor a Scottish house? I know Stuart was, but that was 1600s. Yeah, I'd be his princess. No virginity test though. I'd definitely fail that.

His Greatgrandma, Queen Elizabeth the Queen mother, was Scottish. I think the red hair is from the Spencer side, though!

If I'm not mistaken, George V (Queen Elizabeth II's grandfather) the royal name from Saxe Coberg (which is of German origin) to Windsor during WWI due to his anti-German stance. UKers correct me if I'm wrong.

Archived