IGNORED

Duggars By the Dozen - General Discussion -14

happy atheist

Don't IFB churches tend to be the ones that will split and form new congregations over every tiny little doctrinal issue? Maybe that is why there is such an abundance of them. 

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just did the same for IFB churches in my area (Nashville) and the Yellow Pages search result came up with a total number of churches as 666! :Bazinga:

Looking closer, the total number of actual IFB churches in the area seems to be about 10 (Yellow Pages counted every church with Baptist in the title), but man, did that 666 result have me rolling!

Hi fellow Nashville person!

Well, Duggars, just as you were about to creep back to fame and fortune, Joshy boy does it again. Don't think your daughters can pull this one off. What ARE you going to do now?

It actually doesn't surprise me that something hit the fan (again) before the 'specials'  aired.  

Well, Duggars, just as you were about to creep back to fame and fortune, Joshy boy does it again. Don't think your daughters can pull this one off. What ARE you going to do now?

There was a reason that Josh's house was sold for a token amount to the family lawyer.  If it wasn't to keep it from Anna in case of a divorce, it had to be in order to protect the asset in case of a lawsuit.  If Anna had any sense, she would divorce Josh.  But I have seen no signs of it.

Which one is suing?

The sex worker, Danica is suing Josh in civil court for abusive behavior. Said she was bruised and traumatized and is under the care of a psychiatrist.

we may never know the real truth.

There was a reason that Josh's house was sold for a token amount to the family lawyer.  If it wasn't to keep it from Anna in case of a divorce, it had to be in order to protect the asset in case of a lawsuit.  If Anna had any sense, she would divorce Josh.  But I have seen no signs of it.

The house was not sold to the lawyer.  A lawyer set up a company for Josh and Anna and the company holds the deed to the house. It was all done on the same day:  setting up the company and the transfer of deed.  It was done on August 24, and Josh was taken to Rockford, Illinois, that same evening.

Now with this new lawsuit being filed how long will it be until Anna takes Josh here?

byesville.png

As was said there are different groups in different areas. Some peaceful and some very much not.  

Being an animal rights supporter I know there has been a huge issue with some Quaker communities that run evil puppy mills. They don't see the dogs as equal to humans and treat them very badly. They would breed the dogs in small, dirty cages and sell the pure breed puppies (who were often sickly) to pet shops or to people online. Horrible situation. 

Not at all saying all Quakers do this. But it shows they aren't one solid group.  

Would you link to evidence for Quaker puppy mills?  Thanks.

As was said there are different groups in different areas. Some peaceful and some very much not.  

Being an animal rights supporter I know there has been a huge issue with some Quaker communities that run evil puppy mills. They don't see the dogs as equal to humans and treat them very badly. They would breed the dogs in small, dirty cages and sell the pure breed puppies (who were often sickly) to pet shops or to people online. Horrible situation. 

Not at all saying all Quakers do this. But it shows they aren't one solid group.  

It's the Amish and Old Order Mennonites who are running puppy mills, not Quakers; the online research I did failed to bring up any instances of Quakers and puppy mills although there is plenty about Amish and puppy mills. Since farming is less lucrative these days, puppy mills are seen as a way for the Amish to make money without interacting with "English" society. I think only harsh legislation will be able to shut down Amish puppy mills, since there seems to be a reluctance to call out a religious community like the Amish who are generally perceived a benign. I'm not saying they necessarily are (abuse and incest are real problems), but as far as sectarian groups go, the Amish have good reputations and many people are probably going to see this as honest people trying to make a living and minding their own business. Unfortunately, many mainstream Americans would agree with the Amish that animals have no souls and are only put on this earth for humans to use.

It's the Amish and Old Order Mennonites who are running puppy mills, not Quakers; the online research I did failed to bring up any instances of Quakers and puppy mills although there is plenty about Amish and puppy mills. Since farming is less lucrative these days, puppy mills are seen as a way for the Amish to make money without interacting with "English" society. I think only harsh legislation will be able to shut down Amish puppy mills, since there seems to be a reluctance to call out a religious community like the Amish who are generally perceived a benign. I'm not saying they necessarily are (abuse and incest are real problems), but as far as sectarian groups go, the Amish have good reputations and many people are probably going to see this as honest people trying to make a living and minding their own business. Unfortunately, many mainstream Americans would agree with the Amish that animals have no souls and are only put on this earth for humans to use.

Thank you, Cleo.  I'd also searched and did not find Quaker puppy mills, but wanted to give the OP an opportunity to provide evidence.

The resident mega church in my hometown is IFB, that explains so much as to why the area got so much more conservative/fundie sympathetic once they rolled in.

Might be time to trot out a courtship, Duggars. 

I've predicted that they will announce one on the Jessa birth special in December.  TLC really wants to keep the clan-interest going.  (I bet TLC is really freaked out about now!)

In answer to what everyone else is doing: Michelle posted a Bible verse, Jill and Jessa are ODing on baby picture posts, Ben Seewald is writing sermons, Amy's posting pictures of herself and Jim Bob, as usual, is radio-silent.

The Jinger/Lawson Joy/Trace double wedding will be announced any day now! :P 

I just imagined a conference room with TLC reps and JBoob and Meechelle and them going "Well, guys...we could really use another courtship announcement...who can we exploit next? They don't have to even like the person. We just need two names so we have something to announce. Unless Jill wants to announce another pregnancy? How are they doing on that?" *cringe*

Yes, it was Erin's. They also expressed annoyance that they weren't allowed to mess with the internal workings of the car because Chad was driving a rental. Maybe it's me, but I wouldn't do anything to trash a rental car. 

You haven't met my former colleagues.  When driving a (company paid) rental car, you sign a contract not to smoke in the car.  Well they smoked in the car, and before turning it in, would get a cheap gas station burrito and leave it in the car on a hot summer day.   The burrito stunk up the car so bad that the rental car company didn't notice the smoke.   (Note, I don't condone this).  

I'm a Quaker. The Quaker organizations I've been in are remarkably open to people of different religious beliefs and backgrounds. The Meeting I'm currently a member of is in Southern California and has members who are also Christians, Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, and I don't know what all else: you don't have to kiss off your religious beliefs, but Quakers do believe that there is "that of God" or "that of the divine" within all of us, and that their minds and hearts are often opened by sitting in receptive meditation while open to the "vocal ministry" of people who feel called to speak because the Divine is speaking through them. Many Quakers are pacifists, but during World War II the majority of Quaker men who were able to serve in the Armed Forces did so because those Quakers felt it was a "just war."

I've never heard of a Quaker puppy mill, but Quaker do have a good record on social reform: Quakers began the first humane home for the insane, were the first religion whose Members quit holding slaves, and have seen women as the equals of men since about 1680. Any Member of a Quaker Meeting and any attender is able to speak in Meeting and participate in Meeting for Business and most committees, and children are also seen as legitimate contributors to Meeting. Quakers don't try to persuade you to become a Quaker. Towards the beginning of World War II Quakers instituted the Kindertransport, which enabled many German children who otherwise would have been sent to concentration camps to escape to England and grow up there, and after the war, when Germany was starving, the Quakers arranged to feed as many people as they could (which some older Germans still remember as the "Quaker Feeding").

My behavior on freejinger isn't exactly the summit of Quaker wonderfulness. But (and here's a rationalization that doesn't excuse it all) Quakers also believe that it's important to "speak truth to power" when power is abusive. The Duggars have more power than they ought to, and their power is often abusive. 

Oh. Should have mentioned. Yes, we've had gay marriages. 

All the Quakers I've known have been super genuinely nice people, that being said I've only met the ones that were very liberal. Quakers are also nonviolent and some of them don't even like to raise their voices. Some of the Quakers I knew would joke about how when they got in trouble as kids their parents would sit them down and quietly lecture for a really long time but sometimes they thought it would just be easier if their parents just yelled at them and got it over with :pb_lol:.

You're right. I was confusing the Quakers with the Amish. The Amish were running those evil puppy mills. 

You haven't met my former colleagues.  When driving a (company paid) rental car, you sign a contract not to smoke in the car.  Well they smoked in the car, and before turning it in, would get a cheap gas station burrito and leave it in the car on a hot summer day.   The burrito stunk up the car so bad that the rental car company didn't notice the smoke.   (Note, I don't condone this).  

I would hope the rental company cleaned it up for the next customer. 

I remember the last rental I got didn't even have cruise control and if stunk of burrito like that I'd be raising holy hell about the car. 

• happy atheist locked and unpinned this topic

Archived