IGNORED

Duggars By the Dozen - General Discussion -14

happy atheist

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It gets even more interesting though. His Instagram is private, but his Twitter isn't. And he frequently cross posts pictures from Instagram to Twitter. So now he has a ton of tweets with links that lead to nothing (unless you happen to follow his Instagram). Seems quite strange to make one social media account private and not the other, especially when they are so intertwined.

.... Where is the over-the-top religious conviction that made the Duggar clan so freakishly compelling to watch? What are they all about now? What is their brand? Why should I watch?

With Gothard headquarters downsizing, with the Maxwells scaling back their courses and tours, with the Duggars seemingly disorganized and circling the drain, are the fundies at last slipping into the irrevelence they so richly deserve?

It may be that the Gothard and ATI /IBLP are losing power, but I think that doesn't mean that cult-like fundamentalists are going to disappear or that such movements may become irrelevant. The rise of these movements was a response to social changes that made a lot of people uncomfortable. The things that stirred up anxieties and impelled people to become "fundies" are still around.

Evolution is accepted science. Abortion is still mostly legal. Immigrants of different races and cultural backgrounds are still entering the country. Christian prayer is still not back in the public schools. Gays now have the right to marry. And, worst of all, women are still in the workforce, competing with men. The primacy of the ethnically European Protestant male is still under challenge.

An ideological message that reasserts that primacy has a huge appeal for those who can only feel good if they are superior to others. Insecure people want to be told that the answer to their anxieties about change and their own seeming unimportance in a changing world is a set of beliefs and practices that will keep them safe and make them better than others by bringing them closer to God.

That is the appeal of these fundie cults. There may be changes in which groups are most popular and which leaders are followed, but I don't see them fading away or becoming irrelevant.

But the Duggars themselves might fade and become, if not irrelevant, more overtly ridiculous than before.

JMHI

It may be that the Gothard and ATI /IBLP are losing power, but I think that doesn't mean that cult-like fundamentalists are going to disappear or that such movements may become irrelevant. The rise of these movements was a response to social changes that made a lot of people uncomfortable. The things that stirred up anxieties and impelled people to become "fundies" are still around.

Evolution is accepted science. Abortion is still mostly legal. Immigrants of different races and cultural backgrounds are still entering the country. Christian prayer is still not back in the public schools. Gays now have the right to marry. And, worst of all, women are still in the workforce, competing with men. The primacy of the ethnically European Protestant male is still under challenge.

An ideological message that reasserts that primacy has a huge appeal for those who can only feel good if they are superior to others. Insecure people want to be told that the answer to their anxieties about change and their own seeming unimportance in a changing world is a set of beliefs and practices that will keep them safe and make them better than others by bringing them closer to God.

That is the appeal of these fundie cults. There may be changes in which groups are most popular and which leaders are followed, but I don't see them fading away or becoming irrelevant.

But the Duggars themselves might fade and become, if not irrelevant, more overtly ridiculous than before.

JMHI

The fear of the social changes isn't even necessary. Another appeal for these fundies is the "rulebook to happiness." These cults offer exact steps for how to end up happy and secure and successful. You know, supposedly. This has a huge appeal for people with control issues or who are very insecure about their abilities.

Fundies are not going away anytime soon. But I do think they're losing members at a faster rate than they're gaining them. So unless there's another surge of members they will die out eventually.

I get the appeal of these patriarchal Christian cults to a certain degree - the anxious age we live in generates a longing for more certainty in many of us. That some people react by aligning their beliefs in a way that helps them feel both reassured and superior is understandable, really.

But because of their poor education and employment prospects, the lifestyles we've discussed in these forums just don't seem sustainable to me. I don't think that the insecurities driving the parents to the cults will automatically manifest in all of the kids and grandkids, either, even being raised the way they are.

While there will always be more reactionary responses to modern life, I like to think that these cults' basic unsustainability will be their downfall. I don't live in an area with many Christian fundamentalists, though, so maybe I have underestimated all this. I am genuinely shocked at Derick's apparent free fall into the koolaid, for instance.

It gets even more interesting though. His Instagram is private, but his Twitter isn't. And he frequently cross posts pictures from Instagram to Twitter. So now he has a ton of tweets with links that lead to nothing (unless you happen to follow his Instagram). Seems quite strange to make one social media account private and not the other, especially when they are so intertwined.

I am at a loss to understand it, then. Maybe an accident - or a publicity stunt?

Is it weird that my first thought while reading this article was, who will receive the texts from Michelle's vagina, Jim Boob or Jana?

You know that feeling when your phone goes off, and you feel a little leap of excitement and anticipation. And then you see that it's just a text from Dominos letting you know the two for one deal is back on.

Well, now you can feel that emotion all over again, except this time, the text will be from your own vagina.

This is because there's a new piece of wearable technology specifically for your ladybits. It's like a Mooncup - an eco-friendly menstrual cup that collects your blood flow - but it's called Looncup. I'm not sure why, because there's nothing loony about this. In fact, I think it's brilliant. It's a bit like 4G for you and your vagina - it's going to do nothing but increase communication between you guys.

What it does is use a sensor and an antennae to send information to your smartphone about how full your menstrual cup is. So you'll get a text along the lines of, 'Hey awesome woman. Please find time between being busy and amazing to empty your menstrual cup, or you will find yourself looking like you've sat on the workbench of an abattoir quite soon.' Or something along those lines. I'd imagine.

Is it weird that my first thought while reading this article was, who will receive the texts from Michelle's vagina, Jim Boon or Jana?

You know that feeling when your phone goes off, and you feel a little leap of excitement and anticipation. And then you see that it's just a text from Dominos letting you know the two for one deal is back on.

Well, now you can feel that emotion all over again, except this time, the text will be from your own vagina.

This is because there's a new piece of wearable technology specifically for your ladybits. It's like a Mooncup - an eco-friendly menstrual cup that collects your blood flow - but it's called Looncup. I'm not sure why, because there's nothing loony about this. In fact, I think it's brilliant. It's a bit like 4G for you and your vagina - it's going to do nothing but increase communication between you guys.

What it does is use a sensor and an antennae to send information to your smartphone about how full your menstrual cup is. So you'll get a text along the lines of, 'Hey awesome woman. Please find time between being busy and amazing to empty your menstrual cup, or you will find yourself looking like you've sat on the workbench of an abattoir quite soon.' Or something along those lines. I'd imagine.

Wtf. This can't be real. But Huffington Post is respectable..right? :wtf:

Wow....I've never used a menstrual cup, though I've considered it. I read too many horror stories of it getting stuck to the cervix (ouch). Perhaps this would be useful though? I'd imagine you just check your cup.

I use one, and I like it a lot. I've not had anything scary happen. I don't even know how I could get it stuck on my cervix or anything. One thing I don't think I need is a text message from it telling me to empty it. It's pretty obvious via gravity/weight when the thing is full. :roll:

I use one, and I like it a lot. I've not had anything scary happen. I don't even know how I could get it stuck on my cervix or anything. One thing I don't think I need is a text message from it telling me to empty it. It's pretty obvious via gravity/weight when the thing is full. :roll:

I have heard a lot of good things, like your period is lighter and shorter, less likely to get irritated down there, etc. Have your periods been lighter? Why do you like it?

I have heard a lot of good things, like your period is lighter and shorter, less likely to get irritated down there, etc. Have your periods been lighter? Why do you like it?

I bought it in July so I've used it for about four? periods now. I haven't had it long enough to say that anything definitely has changed. But I had an issue with my period taking forever to stop and start (like spotting and spotting and spotting) and I have definitely noticed that isn't happening anymore. So I won't say for sure that the menstrual cup helped it but I'm thinking it may be evening out the period length. Cramping? I can't definitely say yet, but I think the fact that it isn't cotton (or whatever) is helping.

Things I like:

1. It's tidy. No muss about it. No trash or waste, just pour it out and rinse and it's ready to reuse.

2. I don't have to buy tampons, try to guess how many I'm going to need when I leave the house, or worry about forgetting them, etc.

3. Whether I'm bleeding lightly or heavily it is easy to insert/put in place. There's none of the deal where you're too dry or your body is sore from changing tampons.

4. I can wear it for 12 hours and literally forget about it.

5. I can see how much I'm bleeding by the measurement (I don't know why, but I like to know)

6. No TSS concerns, no chemicals.

7. Did I mention I haven't had to buy tampons in months?

I think it's one of those things where you either love it or it's not for you. In my case, I hope I never have to go back.

I bought it in July so I've used it for about four? periods now. I haven't had it long enough to say that anything definitely has changed. But I had an issue with my period taking forever to stop and start (like spotting and spotting and spotting) and I have definitely noticed that isn't happening anymore. So I won't say for sure that the menstrual cup helped it but I'm thinking it may be evening out the period length. Cramping? I can't definitely say yet, but I think the fact that it isn't cotton (or whatever) is helping.

Things I like:

1. It's tidy. No muss about it. No trash or waste, just pour it out and rinse and it's ready to reuse.

2. I don't have to buy tampons, try to guess how many I'm going to need when I leave the house, or worry about forgetting them, etc.

3. Whether I'm bleeding lightly or heavily it is easy to insert/put in place. There's none of the deal where you're too dry or your body is sore from changing tampons.

4. I can wear it for 12 hours and literally forget about it.

5. I can see how much I'm bleeding by the measurement (I don't know why, but I like to know)

6. No TSS concerns, no chemicals.

7. Did I mention I haven't had to buy tampons in months?

I think it's one of those things where you either love it or it's not for you. In my case, I hope I never have to go back.

Maybe I should give it a go! Thanks for getting back to me

I get the appeal of these patriarchal Christian cults to a certain degree - the anxious age we live in generates a longing for more certainty in many of us. That some people react by aligning their beliefs in a way that helps them feel both reassured and superior is understandable, really.

But because of their poor education and employment prospects, the lifestyles we've discussed in these forums just don't seem sustainable to me. I don't think that the insecurities driving the parents to the cults will automatically manifest in all of the kids and grandkids, either, even being raised the way they are.

While there will always be more reactionary responses to modern life, I like to think that these cults' basic unsustainability will be their downfall. I don't live in an area with many Christian fundamentalists, though, so maybe I have underestimated all this. I am genuinely shocked at Derick's apparent free fall into the koolaid, for instance.

I entirely agree about the lack of sustainability of most of these cults. But fundamentalism in itself is not a cult but a set of beliefs that center on the assumption of Biblical inerrancy. Along with this comes an attachment to traditional sex roles and the fear/belief that modern "liberals" are ruining our country. Such beliefs, which are common in the Bible Belt where I have lived for more than 30 years, tend to predispose certain types of people to become drawn into movements like the Quiverful and the teachings of men like Gothard. Though individual "cults" will rarely run to more than a couple of generations--if that long-- the central ideology remains powerful among the "fundie light" folks and others who are attracted to a message of clear cut answers and the promise of salvation.

Edited to fix typos.

I really hope those quotes and snips worked! Apologies if it's all f-ed up!

I use (and love) a menstrual cup, but (pardon my ignorance) how could it effect the length/flow of a period? I'm not sure how that would work physiologically... but that said i'm a lawyer, biology was not my strong best subject in high school!

My warning - it takes a little while to get the knack of, and figure out what suits your body. there's a bit of trial and error involved... so i recommend using back up panty liners while first trying it out!

I entirely agree about the lack of sustainability of most of these cults. But fundamentalism in itself is not a cult but a set of beliefs that center on the assumption of Biblical inerrancy. Along with this comes an attachment to traditional sex roles and the fear/belief that modern "liberals" are ruining our country. Such beliefs, which are common in the Bible Belt where I have lived for more than 30 years, tend to predispose certain types of people to become drawn into movements like the Quiverful and the teachings of men like Gothard. Though individual "cults" will rarely run to more than a couple of generations--if that long-- the central ideology remains powerful among the "fundie light" folks and others who are attracted to a message of clear cut answers and the promise of salvation.

Edited to fix typos.

Thanks, Emmalyn. You're quite right, I was using cult and fundamentalism almost interchangeably.

I really hope those quotes and snips worked! Apologies if it's all f-ed up!

I use (and love) a menstrual cup, but (pardon my ignorance) how could it effect the length/flow of a period? I'm not sure how that would work physiologically... but that said i'm a lawyer, biology was not my strong best subject in high school!

My warning - it takes a little while to get the knack of, and figure out what suits your body. there's a bit of trial and error involved... so i recommend using back up panty liners while first trying it out!

The easiest answer: I don't know. Like I said, I have only noticed the difference and I'm not 100% that it's the cause. A cursory google search indicates I'm not alone and people are speculating on the why, but knowing that none of the answers are from someone professional or scientific, I hesitate to share those hypotheses. It could be that it seems like less because when a period starts I just start using it and leave it in place. OR it could be that the lack of cotton/chemicals lets my body does what it does more naturally, I don't know. I'm just happy things have improved. :dance:

Don't know where else to put this, so will drop it here.

I get a "duggar update" in my email. Today is Johanna's 10th b-day so I got a bunch of pictures of her including this one. johanna_zpsojivxcns.jpg.html]

What do you suppose JB would do if he knew that guy was gay.

Forget it; can't get picture to post.

I'm rewatching the last season and noticed in the "All About Jessa" episode that I'm pretty sure the boys bedroom got a huge overhaul. I did a quick search and didn't see anyone else comment about this.

Updated room: BjsTlNp.png?1

Proof, check out this comparison with the TLC boys room tour video:

N5ts9B5.png?1

Video: tlc.com/tv-shows/19-kids-and-counting/videos/boys-room-tour/

Wonder if Clark Wilson made all those bunk beds for them before he got laid up with cancer?

I'm a mooncup user too and I don't think the periods are any shorter, it just feels that way because it's less of a hassle.

Don't know where else to put this, so will drop it here.

I get a "duggar update" in my email. Today is Johanna's 10th b-day so I got a bunch of pictures of her including this one. johanna_zpsojivxcns.jpg.html]

What do you suppose JB would do if he knew that guy was gay.

Forget it; can't get picture to post.

Let me help!

1. Use the "Direct" link from photo bucket

2. remove the extra set of brackets around the

Like this:

johanna_zpsojivxcns.jpg****

Here's the photo:

johanna_zpsojivxcns.jpg

• happy atheist locked and unpinned this topic

Archived