IGNORED

Jinger and Lawson courting?

SPHASH

JD is too old for Carlin.

Josiah - I'd be surprised if he courted soon, (surely he'll wait till late to announce, after Marjorie - and I imagine that people will be wondering why that ended, especially in view of his brother's hx, fathers are going to be looking at the Duggar boys & esp him for red flags, before okaying a courtship).

The twins aren't 18 yet, I'd be very surprised to see an announcement from the under 18 crowd.

If there's a Duggar/Bates courtship in the works - my guess is:

1) Tori & Joe (or possibly Carlin & Joe),

2) Jinger & Bates boy, 

3) Joy & Bates boy

Clarification - I am not speculating about Josiah, I am NOT saying he's done anything wrong.  I am saying that the fundie attitude to sex & sin, means that just as there's a risk of the girls being unpure because of what was done to them.  There is also a risk that parents may be concerned that if Josh did something, his brothers may do the same/similar things.  In Josiah's case, there is a broken courtship, which is judged badly by fundies anyway.  Combine that with the family history from Josh, I worry that he will find it hard to gain approval from fathers.

I am NOT saying he's done anything wrong, or that its his fault the courtship broke.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, SassyPants said:

I grew up in Sacramento. I think Jinger would do well in that area.

Someone mentioned "artsy" - I think she'd do well in an environment where she can thrive, surrounded by diversity, but at the same time perhaps not as overwhelming as NYC, and where there is a good balance of tree huggers + some conservative folks in the surroundings that she can relate to. Maybe Santa Fe, Sacramento, Austin, just to name a few. Even some place in Northern Virginia, where she would be close to DC for the culture/opportunities, but still in a relatively conservative surrounding. 

39 minutes ago, Shouldabeenacowboy said:

Someone mentioned "artsy" - I think she'd do well in an environment where she can thrive, surrounded by diversity, but at the same time perhaps not as overwhelming as NYC, and where there is a good balance of tree huggers + some conservative folks in the surroundings that she can relate to. Maybe Santa Fe, Sacramento, Austin, just to name a few. Even some place in Northern Virginia, where she would be close to DC for the culture/opportunities, but still in a relatively conservative surrounding. 

Nashville. Nashville is the perfect gateway city for Fundie children to flee to. Plenty of hipster activities to explore and plenty of churches and conservative folk to relate to. 

I wonder if JB is actively seeking a Duggar/Bates courtship. His family's reputation is plummeting while the Bateseseses' seems to be on an upswing. I mean, even FJers continually point out that the Bateseseses are more attractive, more congenial, Alyssa wears pants and short skirts and heels, the Bateseseses babiez are cuter, they are more accomplished (the older kids, not the babiez), Kelly and Gil have relaxed their rules, etc.  What a turn up for the books if JB and Michele were trying to upgrade by marrying into the Bateseseses' family!  Karma really is a bitch. 

10 hours ago, imokit said:

If there's a Duggar/Bates courtship in the works - my guess is:

1) Tori & Joe (or possibly Carlin & Joe),

2) Jinger & Bates boy, 

3) Joy & Bates boy

I would say that 2 of these 3 are ongoing courtships right now. Tori + Joe and Joy + some other Batesboy (Lawson?)

I also think Nathan is a courtship with that dark curly hair girl (Anastasia???).

And for JD: I so wished for him and Priscilla to get together. Priscilla could be seen in a few episodes way before she was courting David Waller, e.g. when the Anna-Josh courtship was going on. Already there I was hoping for Pris and JD. JD is turning 26 in January, how old is Pris?

I can see Jinger doing quite well in the Cincinnati area. It's a small city with fairly diverse social and religious groups. There are a good amount of fundies in the area (Creation Museum close by draws them in) but also a good amount of other stuff for her to explore. Plus it is quite the drive from the compound! 

9 hours ago, isarhenne said:

I would say that 2 of these 3 are ongoing courtships right now. Tori + Joe and Joy + some other Batesboy (Lawson?)

I also think Nathan is a courtship with that dark curly hair girl (Anastasia???).

And for JD: I so wished for him and Priscilla to get together. Priscilla could be seen in a few episodes way before she was courting David Waller, e.g. when the Anna-Josh courtship was going on. Already there I was hoping for Pris and JD. JD is turning 26 in January, how old is Pris?

I want to say Pris is 29 but I could be wrong.  Not sure how old TFDW is.

2 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I want to say Pris is 29 but I could be wrong.  Not sure how old TFDW is.

They're both 29. Where has the time gone? /old

1 hour ago, tumblr said:

I can see Jinger doing quite well in the Cincinnati area. It's a small city with fairly diverse social and religious groups. There are a good amount of fundies in the area (Creation Museum close by draws them in) but also a good amount of other stuff for her to explore. Plus it is quite the drive from the compound! 

She does have many relatives in the area... 

11 hours ago, isarhenne said:

I would guess Trace for Joy. Lawson is five years older than her so I feel like that would be a little weird (or is this not weird in fundie land?).  Trace on the other hand is the same age as her.

Wouldn't it be a bit odd to have two Bates/Duggar pairings? Although I have heard a couple of stories where two sets of twins married each other. (That's a lot weirder though)

On 12/9/2015 at 10:15 PM, DuggarsTheEndIsNear said:

I think people assumed NYC because that's where they want to see here. And I think Michelle might have fueled the flames by saying that Jinger didn't mean a place like NYC, she meant somewhere within 15 minutes of a Walmart. 

I agree that the definition of a city is largely dependent on your personal experiences. I think Jinger probably liked living in Little Rock a lot more than at the compound, and that's likely where her idea of city life comes from. I think she'd do well in a state capital or a similar, smaller city. 

I agree, I grew up in the Des Moines area, and still live there.  When I was Jingers age I always said I wanted to live in a city like DC or Chicago, now not so much, the traffic kills me when I'm in either place. I can't see Jinger or any of them living in a metropolis, I could see them in Little Rock, or Des Moines, Omaha.  It is a city, but small enough to give you that small town feel. 

1 minute ago, mango_fandango said:

Wouldn't it be a bit odd to have two Bates/Duggar pairings? Although I have heard a couple of stories where two sets of twins married each other. (That's a lot weirder though)

As long as the resultant cousins don't pair off, I don't think it's terrible. It's definitely taking a turn towards Hapsburg-ville, but it's not there yet.

33 minutes ago, mango_fandango said:

Why would it be weird?  I worked with a woman who met her husband at her brothers wedding.  Her brother is married to her husbands sister.  I never thought it was strange.  She said it made holidays really easy, since it was just her and her brother and their spouses were the only siblings in their family so they would just all get together and there was no fighting about who spends more time where. 

1 hour ago, mango_fandango said:

the "s'mortons" had three intermarriages between the smiths and mortons!! - four if you count their widowed grandparents that met at one of the wedding showers and also got married!

I like Lawson for Jinger. Yes, he's more outgoing and showy than her but Jinger seems to like others with more dominant personalities than her (e.g., Jessa). I also think they have some things in common--both are more cautious (in terms of risky, scary things like heights and wrestling and water sports) than their siblings (Lawson compared to Nathan). I also think she'd be great in Nashville, if Lawson were to move there for his singing career. I like both of them so my fingers are crossed for them being a Bates-Duggan pair (if there is one/has to be one). 

I don't see Tori and Joe being a good fit. Or Joy and Trace. 

12 hours ago, TuringMachine said:

I would guess Trace for Joy. Lawson is five years older than her so I feel like that would be a little weird (or is this not weird in fundie land?).  Trace on the other hand is the same age as her.

Zach/Chad/John are all about 4-5 years older than Whitney/Erin/Alyssa. 

I think that sort of age gap is something that gets a little less weird as people get a little older and gain more maturity and life experience....although fundieland is a bit different.

Regardless I think there is a big difference between an 18 year old dating a 23 year old and a 28 year old dating a 33 year old even though it is the same 5 year age gap. In the first situation, you have a partner who is barely an adult and barely out of school, and in the second, you have two adult partners who have been adults for some time. 

46 minutes ago, Lewy said:

Zach/Chad/John are all about 4-5 years older than Whitney/Erin/Alyssa. 

I think that sort of age gap is something that gets a little less weird as people get a little older and gain more maturity and life experience....although fundieland is a bit different.

Regardless I think there is a big difference between an 18 year old dating a 23 year old and a 28 year old dating a 33 year old even though it is the same 5 year age gap. In the first situation, you have a partner who is barely an adult and barely out of school, and in the second, you have two adult partners who have been adults for some time. 

i feel weird for saying this but I know so many couples where the guy is 5-10 years older than their girlfriend/wife and they met when she was still in highschool. One couple even got together when she was 13, he was 18 (so pratically it was illegal, but they still did it), now they're married.

I felt no guilt at all for having a crush on a girl 4 years my junior when I was 26, still thought at 22 she was kind of young, though. Would 26 and 22 be creepy?

Edit: Does anyone know the "half your age plus 7" rule? By that John and Alyssa should have waited a little longer to get together.

4 hours ago, isarhenne said:

i feel weird for saying this but I know so many couples where the guy is 5-10 years older than their girlfriend/wife and they met when she was still in highschool. One couple even got together when she was 13, he was 18 (so pratically it was illegal, but they still did it), now they're married.

I felt no guilt at all for having a crush on a girl 4 years my junior when I was 26, still thought at 22 she was kind of young, though. Would 26 and 22 be creepy?

It totally depends on the maturity of the people involved. In most cases of people in my life, I don't find large age differences weird at all. I even know two couples where the women are close to my age, but their husbands are 9-10 years younger. These couples both married while the guy was pretty young, and it has worked out perfectly fine. I can see how it could be a problem in fundie land, where the girl has had little life experience, and the man is looking for a perfectly submissive servant.

20 hours ago, tumblr said:

She's got family around there, too.  And don't forget Touchdown Jesus!!  

14 hours ago, picklepizzas said:

the "s'mortons" had three intermarriages between the smiths and mortons!! - four if you count their widowed grandparents that met at one of the wedding showers and also got married!

Wowzer! I don't know these people but go grandma and grandpa I guess. :pb_lol:

6 hours ago, isarhenne said:

Edit: Does anyone know the "half your age plus 7" rule? By that John and Alyssa should have waited a little longer to get together.

Here's the source where I first heard that:

https://xkcd.com/314/

Can't pass up an excuse for sharing XKCD :P

On 11.12.2015 at 2:29 AM, mango_fandango said:

I wouldn't see it as weird as long as it's mutual attraction and not any sort of royal arrangement (the bates dynasty and the duggar dynasty merging) . When people have small families it's not very likely that the kids will all find a suitable spouse from their brother/sister in law's siblings, but  there's just more chances of two or more  finding someone of the right age and right gender and with t he right chemistry if there's 19 kids in each family.

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2015 at 6:32 PM, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

I agree, I grew up in the Des Moines area, and still live there.  When I was Jingers age I always said I wanted to live in a city like DC or Chicago, now not so much, the traffic kills me when I'm in either place. I can't see Jinger or any of them living in a metropolis, I could see them in Little Rock, or Des Moines, Omaha.  It is a city, but small enough to give you that small town feel. 

Des Moines area here, too! Seriously, this city is amazing. As Iowa is a swing state, you can find a lot of different-minded people, and that's just fine! This was months ago, but I remember when there was a rumor on FJ that there might be a courtship between Jana and a young Republican from Des Moines because of a Twitter following. I can't remember his name, but I do remember hoping to God nothing came of it. The Duggars have been to the Iowa Caucuses before, and I don't want to give them any more cause to be a blemish on my beloved city.

18 hours ago, isarhenne said:

II personally find 13 and 18 very weird, 13 is barely out of being a child, but I don't see any issue with 22 and 26. 

In fairness, Alyssa seems quite mature for her age/upbringing, especially compared to the J'Slaves at the same age. I always think she's older than Jessa/comes right after Erin in the Bates line up because of it. 

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived