IGNORED

Jessa Duggar Seewald Pt 5 - The Smug is Strong With This One

happy atheist

That show might have some interest for a nanosecond. After that, what are they doing re “plot� The new baby burps? The new baby sits up? Israel eats solid food? The things that 19KAC had going for it were a) freaky fundy parents who were dry humping all the time b) 19 possibilities of a story line (like 19 different visits to the dentist) and c) adults kids not dry humping and getting married without knowing each other (also freaky).

Without these possible story lines, all we have is "Newlyweds" (already done by Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey) or “Teen momâ€. Not a lot of material to work with. I can’t see it lasting a season. The babies don’t have enough teeth to merit a trip to the dentist and they can’t say “Nike†yet.

And even if they went with the Teen Mom angle, it wouldn't be nearly as entertaining as the original Teen Mom, because you won't have stuff like Jessa trying to persuade her lawyer to postpone her jail sentence so she can go to a Ke$ha concert.

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And even if they went with the Teen Mom angle, it wouldn't be nearly as entertaining as the original Teen Mom, because you won't have stuff like Jessa trying to persuade her lawyer to postpone her jail sentence so she can go to a Ke$ha concert.

Well maybe Jessa will have a bunch of daughters eating cheetos on the floor and call them 'the girlses' :lol: you never know...

I stand corrected. Whoever said Jessa is Smuggar 2.0 was right. I was originally offended at the title - to even put her in the same category as a molester, hypocrite, cheat, and liar seemed unfair.

But now, I see from her behavior in recent weeks and the fact that she's signed on for more of this... She's a real narcissist and is as smug as they come. The smug is so strong it reeks.

And Hell No, I won't watch their idiotic TV show. I cannot stand the sight of them. And I hope no one else does either, although I guess there are enough leg-humpers to make it a ratings hit. All about the almighty dollar, isn't it? TLC has no moral compass and neither do these two couples.

I'm tempted to not follow this family at all anymore. I will have to break my Duggar addiction and do something more productive with my reading time.

*does a curtesy* ;)

Also, I agree with your notion of finding something else to do. Though I have to say, thanks to them I have learned a lot about fundamentalism. I am taking a religious cults in America class in college right now and it's actually been quite helpful...then again, if I wasn't in that class what would I use it for then? I guess it's still useful in a "let's not live our lives like that" way?

Something I don't get: Jill and Jessa both sign up for the new specials but Jessa, and Jessa only, gets called smug for it. Jill keeps accepting donations for some 'family ministry' that looks more like a vacation but Jessa gets called a grifter for having a baby registry (which Jill had as well btw). Several of the older duggar kids have mentioned Jill being a tattletale as a child and we have seen Jill making Jana her sewing slave for the wedding but Jessa is the one getting a "bitch" label for teasing Jana as a child. I am not a big Jessa fan nor a Jill hater but I feel their behaviours are judged very unbalanced by some.

Edited for riffle.

Lol.. I remember that episode and the lawyer's face was just like: :doh:

If the specials focus on the baby that will get boring pretty quickly. Jill's "ministry" might have enough different plot lines to keep viewers watching. I wonder if TLC will even air the specials if they get enough backlash? They probably don't care if they get a new cashcow

I suppose they were traveling the day it broke and now they're "busy" getting ready for tomorrow's appearance. At least they'll have something to talk about at the show?

Hey TLC

Please show us a real day in the life of Bin and Smuggessa and the Jillards; that would include their checking their social media accounts and blocking those who question their mission work or their grifting. It should also include their condeming all of us a FJ to hell.

I'd tune in to see all of that!

Something I don't get: Jill and Jessa both sign up for the new specials but Jessa, and Jessa only, gets called smug for it. Jill keeps accepting donations for some 'family ministry' that looks more like a vacation but Jessa gets called a grifter for having a baby registry (which Jill had as well btw). Several of the older duggar kids have mentioned Jill being a tattletale as a child and we have seen Jill making Jana her sewing slave for the wedding but Jessa is the one getting a "bitch" label for teasing Jana as a child. I am not a big Jessa fan nor a Jill hater but I feel their behaviours are judged very unbalanced by some.

Edited for riffle.

um, people are judging the hell out of the dillards too...

Despise that bitch too although I have to say she comes off as more of a Kook-Aide drinker and tattletale than smug. Now she is a sanctimonious grifter and I hate her for it. Smuggessa and Smuggar 2.0 fits for Jessa. Just haven't come up with a nickname with the word grift in it for the Jillards.

Edited for riffle.

they're both smug and unlikable. Jessa's bitchiness is just stronger than Jill's. Just like Jill is more moronic than Jessa. They both seem generally awful, they just have one bad trait that stands out more than the others.

Edited for riffle.

Have you been in the Dillard thread lately? Jill gets blasted as much as Jessa (rightly so IMO)

Edited for riffle.

Jill's been getting a lot of criticism here lately (about damn time since she was always the shittiest), but you're right that Jessa gets singled out for being smug. I've always thought that the reason for the tone of the criticisms thrown at Jessa have to do with a)her looks (she's a stunner) and b)her decidedly a unsweet personality, and the latter is so ironic because fj is supposed to be against the "keep sweet" fundie rule. The accusations of vanity also bug me, because if we're judging hair, makeup, and clothes, the ONLY one of the Duggar girls who definitely isn't vain is Jill (and maybe Joy). But Jana and Jinger don't say much on camera and are deemed "sweet" so they they're always made-up faces and done hair aren't seen as vain.

Really, ALL fundies are smug by definition. You can't be so sure of your sanctity compared to the rest of the world and NOT be a smug asshole.

Really, ALL fundies are smug by definition. You can't be so sure of your sanctity compared to the rest of the world and NOT be a smug asshole.

YES! :clap:

I would note that some are more smug than others and that not all are 100 % assholes, but believing you are part of a small group that is doing things right and an example to others is in itself, kind of smug.

Even when they fear they don't measure up to their own godly ideals, they still feel that their superior knowledge (of the ideals that they fear they don't measure up to) makes them special in some way.

This always throws me. Why is Jessa considered the "hot" one? Is it because she doesn't look like any of her other siblings? If I had to pick the girl that I thought was the hottest, it would be Jinger minus the fake tan. I've just never understood why Jessa is considered the hottest.

I used to think she was hilarious. I never thought she was nice, I always felt like she was a bit "over it" for lack of a better word, but this past year has been terrible Jessa-wise. She's no longer funny to me, she's terrible. Not as terrible as Jill or Josh, but she's definitely in 3rd place.

Just ran into this, and since one of my pet peeves is that Jessa calls herself an "author," I had to share it. It is not news, but it bears repeating.

The book about the four Duggar sisters was actually written by Charlie Richards and not by the Duggar sisters themselves, according to the book’s Acknowledgements page. Richards is a middle-aged man who compiled information for the book from interviewing Jessa and her sisters Jana, Jill, and Jinger. Though the book is written in first person, the text is all in Richards’ voice and not that of the Duggars.

http://www.inquisitr.com/2449571/jessa- ... owQXOma.99

The article reports the negative reactions to Jessa speaking at these Southern Women's shows and alludes to the grifting for gifts, etc. It had nothing really new to Free Jingerites, but it pulled several things together nicely, and all the information is all verifiable (unlike some of the reports about poor Anna and her family.)

Have you been in the Dillard thread lately? Jill gets blasted as much as Jessa (rightly so IMO)

I admit, I have avoided it lately because a while I ago Jill still seemed to be considered 'the sweet one' while I really didn't like her Cinderjana move before the wedding. A few weeks into their 'family ministry' talk I just couldn't stomach them anymore. I guess I should have made myself still check it out. I'll send myself to the prayer closet :think:

Edited because I just remembered the right nickname.

I admit, I have avoided it lately because a while I ago Jill still seemed to be considered 'the sweet one' while I really didn't like her Cinderjana move before the wedding. A few weeks into their 'family ministry' talk I just couldn't stomach them anymore. I guess I should have made myself still check it out. I'll send myself to the prayer closet :think:

Edited because I just remembered the right nickname.

I think the bloom is off the rose for Jill, though. I think people initially liked her more than Jessa/gave her more slack because she was a little more relatable: over-enthusiastic, not so made-up that she looked like a Kardashian, actually seemed pretty nice, before the mission trip actually happened it seemed like she was going to be marginally useful/charitable...and now it's become clear that Jill is just as much a smug grifter as Jessa, but hides it a little better than Jessa does. I really did have high hopes for Jill, but now I find her immensely annoying and entitled. Also, for a while I liked that Jessa was kind of "bitchy", because it did go against the Keep Sweet crap, but now it's not entertaining or "you go, girl" anymore; it's just grating.

Addendum- I think part of the problem is that Jessa seems comfortable spouting the dangerous views on insta up front, whereas Jill cloaks hers in sweeter rhetoric, rather than being all "I NEED TO SAVE THE HEATHENS FROM HELL!" We also don't know what Jana, Jinger, or Joy would use their insta for either because none of them are on social media for whatever reason.

But...and this may seem borderline conspiracy theory...has it occurred to anyone else that Jessa and Jill don't have complete control over their social media, and maybe someone else is telling them what to say? I mean it's not like they're paying for the iphones themselves with their jobs...I think it's entirely possible that Jessa and Jill may be being used by JB and J'Chelle. Even if they're throwing Josh under the bus.

This always throws me. Why is Jessa considered the "hot" one? Is it because she doesn't look like any of her other siblings? If I had to pick the girl that I thought was the hottest, it would be Jinger minus the fake tan. I've just never understood why Jessa is considered the hottest.

I used to think she was hilarious. I never thought she was nice, I always felt like she was a bit "over it" for lack of a better word, but this past year has been terrible Jessa-wise. She's no longer funny to me, she's terrible. Not as terrible as Jill or Josh, but she's definitely in 3rd place.

Attractiveness is largely subjective, of course, but Jessa's looks are striking. I think that if you handed out headshots of all the girls to people who knew nothing about them and asked them to rate on looks alone, Jessa would be the "winner." And I think that the reason her obnoxiousness doesn't get a pass is partly because of her looks. Jinger has grown into her looks and is an attractive young woman now, but that girl went through an excruciatingly long awkward phase, and I'd bet that if she had looked like Jessa or Jana, her spunkiness and eye-rolling wouldn't have been so lauded to the point that we have a Free Jinger forum...she would have been labeled a smug, rude bitch who should be grateful to be on the show for all the advantages it's given her.

Addendum- I think part of the problem is that Jessa seems comfortable spouting the dangerous views on insta up front, whereas Jill cloaks hers in sweeter rhetoric, rather than being all "I NEED TO SAVE THE HEATHENS FROM HELL!" We also don't know what Jana, Jinger, or Joy would use their insta for either because none of them are on social media for whatever reason.

But...and this may seem borderline conspiracy theory...has it occurred to anyone else that Jessa and Jill don't have complete control over their social media, and maybe someone else is telling them what to say? I mean it's not like they're paying for the iphones themselves with their jobs...I think it's entirely possible that Jessa and Jill may be being used by JB and J'Chelle. Even if they're throwing Josh under the bus.

I hadn't thought about that, but it is possible. Also, throwing Josh under the bus doesn't mean they're the one in charge. It might also be a ploy from Mom and Dad. Perhaps they finally realized their defense of Josh hurt their brand.

Attractiveness is largely subjective, of course, but Jessa's looks are striking. I think that if you handed out headshots of all the girls to people who knew nothing about them and asked them to rate on looks alone, Jessa would be the "winner." And I think that the reason her obnoxiousness doesn't get a pass is partly because of her looks. Jinger has grown into her looks and is an attractive young woman now, but that girl went through an excruciatingly long awkward phase, and I'd bet that if she had looked like Jessa or Jana, her spunkiness and eye-rolling wouldn't have been so lauded to the point that we have a Free Jinger forum...she would have been labeled a smug, rude bitch who should be grateful to be on the show for all the advantages it's given her.

As usual, I fully agree with your assessment. I'm still expecting Jessa to find a way to win this fucking game with the hand she's been dealt. She got a lot of shitty cards by being born a Duggar with a vagina, but she's the one Duggar who's cunning enough to use her looks and brains to achieve her goals. I will always be a fan of Jessa, and while I would love to see her realize what's been done to her and to direct her wrath at her parents, Josh, and Bill Gothard, it's more likely that she'll find some kind of success taking money from people while yelling at them that they're damned to hell. And that will be fun to watch, I guess. I'm imagining something like Joyce Meyer, but mean. :evil:

I find it highly irritating that this family promotes a lifestyle where adult women stay home with their parents and focus on the goal of finding a man to mate with, and then they are paid to promote this lifestyle at women's shows. It makes me sad that Jinger would never even entertain the thought of going to college (which I think she would love) and now Joy is about to turn 18. She's our last hope of a Duggar woman escaping until the new batch is older.

Thank you!!! I am confused as to how Jessa is "a stunner" at all. I suppose it is personal taste, but so many just state it as bold fact. Any of the girls are more attractive imo, based solely on looks...but the perception of their personalities must surely come into play somehow too.

Edited for riffle.

Well, this IS the Jessa thread...so...yeah.

Jill gets it over on her thread.

(ETA - I see this was already discussed. Nothing to see here....)

People think Jessa is hot because she has plump lips. That's all I can figure out, anyway. I don't see it, personally.

People think Jessa is hot because she has plump lips. That's all I can figure out, anyway. I don't see it, personally.

That's a big part of it, but her facial features are generally well-proportioned and rather symmetrical, too. I was going to say more, but I feel weird defending a woman's looks when society places too much importance on them already. I will say that her arrogance INTJ-ness confidence is noticeable and many people find that attractive, too. :romance-admire:

Archived