IGNORED

All Things Dillard - Part 6

happy atheist

Wow, so is that their big news they were hinting at? I am shocked she actually got it. Jury is still out whether she will use it in the long run. Hopefully this inspires other Duggar kids to go out and get an education too.

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, so is that their big news they were hinting at? I am shocked she actually got it. Jury is still out whether she will use it in the long run. Hopefully this inspires other Duggar kids to go out and get an education too.

Apparently it involves a 7 hour comprehensive exam, so clearly she's got some level of dedication to her studies going on there. I agree, I hope this does inspire others of the J'kids to buckle down, study something that interests them, and get real, accredited credentials. (Whether they actually use them or not, at least they'll be using their brains.)

Derick on Jill becoming a CPM:

"This will be especially helpful on the mission field. The light at the end of the tunnel was always there, but we just hadn’t seen it until recently. And if anybody knows how much hard work it has been for her, it’s me. Jill has been very disciplined and sacrificed a lot to get to this point. So much so, that I don’t have the capacity within this brief blog post to give all the details to do it justice."

Something about this part of the post is just making me :evil-eye: . Is it possible she could have taken non-accredited, under-the-table, Gothard-approved courses to finish her degree? Or taken certain requirements in Central America that would not be recognized stateside?

After supposedly abandoning her CPM training, we've heard virtually nothing about it up until now, so why not blog about it if she had decided to stick with it after the wedding?

Something about this just seems off. I'm highly tempted to call some form of shenanigans at this point.

"This will be especially helpful on the mission field. The light at the end of the tunnel was always there, but we just hadn’t seen it until recently. And if anybody knows how much hard work it has been for her, it’s me. Jill has been very disciplined and sacrificed a lot to get to this point. So much so, that I don’t have the capacity within this brief blog post to give all the details to do it justice."

Something about this part of the post is just making me :evil-eye: . Is it possible she could have taken non-accredited, under-the-table, Gothard-approved courses to finish her degree? Or taken certain requirements in Central America that would not be recognized stateside?

After supposedly abandoning her CPM training, we've heard virtually nothing about it up until now, so why not blog about it if she had decided to stick with it after the wedding?

Something about this just seems off. I'm highly tempted to call some form of shenanigans at this point.

I agree, this announcement just feels.....weird?? I'm so happy she's not pregnant yet though. She has seemed kind of disenchanted with childbirth/Israel/being a mom and she definitely needs time to figure out what she really wants in life. Or at least how to deal with what she's already signed up for. :cry:

You know, for all their faults, every once in a while a Duggar actually does or achieves something without it being a lie or a conspiracy. I know it's not as entertaining, especially on a slow day when Joshley Madison is still flying under the radar and people were hoping they'd get to snark about a pregnancy, but damn.

So this is what I don't understand. You can become a certified midwife but you never have to step inside a classroom? You just take a test and attend births? You don't have to learn about the ins and outs of anatomy? I remember when I was little and my grandma was studying to be a registered nurse. It seemed like she took a million classes, was always studying and had a lot of clinicals. (I remember because it got in the way of my being spoiled by grandma.) I don't understand why you need less to delivery babies, especially when you have no medical back up other than calling 911.

I have a feeling the sudden urgency to become certified is a financial move. No more TLC money is coming in. They'll probably be on the next flight back to El Salvador so she can start assisting with births... I wonder how much she's gonna charge??

I think she did take classes via the Internet, they showed her with a human anatomy book at one point.

As of 8/31, Jill is not listed on the Arkansas lay midwife apprentice list. Either she got her certification from another state or in S America somewhere where the standards are different. I can't imagine that she'd be able to test in Arkansas if she's not listed as an apprentice in that state.

Does this mean she is a lay midwife still? I don't know what her salary potential could be but I'd imagine it couldn't be very high. All of the midwives making $80-90k all are registered nurse midwives. It also appears she'll need to get re-certified every 3 years.

Perhaps she felt overwhelmed and went on OCP for a few cycles. :o

Wouldn't a certified midwife NOT be a lay midwife, hence explaining why she's not on the lay midwife list?

ETA, I finding it disheartening how she's already been undercut for her achievements. From the moment she started courting publicly till now, people have said that she'd never do anything with the midwifing because she's married. She proved people wrong, and somehow that means she must be lying? Or that she did it for funsy and not because she actually planned on making it a career?

Well, no snarking from me on this one. Having a certificate in something she's interested in and being able to put letters after her name has got to feel pretty good for Jill. Good for her. Maybe this success will encourage further education, who knows?

Wouldn't a certified midwife NOT be a lay midwife, hence explaining why she's not on the lay midwife list?

ETA, I finding it disheartening how she's already been undercut for her achievements. From the moment she started courting publicly till now, people have said that she'd never do anything with the midwifing because she's married. She proved people wrong, and somehow that means she must be lying? Or that she did it for funsy and not because she actually planned on making it a career?

No, a certified professional midwife is considered a lay midwife and is a focused program. It is NOT the same as a certified nurse midwife, who is an RN with a Masters degree. A CPM is definitely still an accomplishment but it is definitely not the same as a CNM.

Or at least get their GED. I think lucky for Jill she probably truly has a passion for something Gothard approved (similar to Erin Bates) so she was able to build a base, despite her parents. It doesn't strike me that this is true for any of the other older girls.

Also, she luckily ended up with a headship/husband who seems to not be entirely threatened by women's education (as long as the skill is within the bounds of his wife being a Proverbs 31 woman). But, it's progress.

I am guessing it is Derick who understood the value and difference between being a CPM and a Lay Midwife. Seems to me the Duggars would rather have gone the 'buy used and save the difference' route.

Or at least get their GED. I think lucky for Jill she probably truly has a passion for something Gothard approved (similar to Erin Bates) so she was able to build a base, despite her parents. It doesn't strike me that this is true for any of the other older girls.

Also, she luckily ended up with a headship/husband who seems to not be entirely threatened by women's education (as long as the skill is within the bounds of his wife being a Proverbs 31 woman). But, it's progress.

I am guessing it is Derick who understood the value and difference between being a CPM and a Lay Midwife. Seems to me the Duggars would rather have gone the 'buy used and save the difference' route.

.... All the Duggar kids who have graduated have GEDs instead of diplomas. That's a thing people get upset about on here a lot because "GEDs are worth less than diplomas" (which, I personally, find to be very offensive to anyone who has every completed a GED).

No, a certified professional midwife is considered a lay midwife and is a focused program. It is NOT the same as a certified nurse midwife, who is an RN with a Masters degree. A CPM is definitely still an accomplishment but it is definitely not the same as a CNM.

Well, in that case, the fact that her name wasn't on the list doesn't necessarily mean anything. It's just now official, not official as of 2 weeks ago.

So this is what I don't understand. You can become a certified midwife but you never have to step inside a classroom? You just take a test and attend births? You don't have to learn about the ins and outs of anatomy? I remember when I was little and my grandma was studying to be a registered nurse. It seemed like she took a million classes, was always studying and had a lot of clinicals. (I remember because it got in the way of my being spoiled by grandma.) I don't understand why you need less to delivery babies, especially when you have no medical back up other than calling 911.

I know nothing about midwives, but people are getting more and more of their instruction online. You can get bachelors or masters degree online, and also a lot of certificates.

In cases like education or other fields that require hands on experience, there are requirements for field work or internships along with the academic content. Then there are exams.

Maybe Jill took some online courses and also earned some "field work" hours while saving the heathens of Central America. As for calling 911, that won't be an option in most developing countries.

If Jill did the thing properly, then I've got nothing bad to say about it. I have no interest in seeing her fail as a medical professional - believe me, there are enough issues with her poisonous beliefs as a fundamentalist that are snark-worthy enough. I just think it's strange that she hasn't talked more about it on the blog, or Facebook, or even while the show aired, and that her husband can't seem to come up with some of the requirements to achieve her certification.

Let's not forget that this is the same family that claims to have turned out a concert pianist (Jana), after all.

ETA: I don't have a problem questioning the veracity of Jill's credentials (wasn't she actually taking some of her early nursing courses with a Gothard-approved program, complete with her and one of her sisters stitching up foam blocks for homework when it should have been chicken parts? There were pics of that on FJ at some point years ago), but I also don't have a problem with her keeping them private if she so chooses. Not my profession, circus, or monkeys.

Well, in that case, the fact that her name wasn't on the list doesn't necessarily mean anything. It's just now official, not official as of 2 weeks ago.

She wasn't on the APPRENTICESHIP list as of 8/31. The Arkansas lay midwife registry has not been updated since before that, so no, I wouldn't expect her to be on it. However, my point is is that in order to sit for the exam I'd assume she'd have to be listed as an apprentice midwife, which she was not.

A CPM is a Lay Midwife.

Archived