IGNORED

Joshley Madison Pt 7: O Smuggar Where Art Thou?

happy atheist

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah soon after the Duggars became a television sensation she changed it from Jordan (her "father"'s last name) to Duggar... hence why (I think, atleast) we call her Famy.

Did she? I didn't know that. Her parents were together but not married until she was much older so I thought her name was always Duggar because it was her mom's name - but I admit I just assumed so I could be way off.

Even if she did change it I wouldn't think less of her. Its not like she's a fan who took the name - she's as entitled to it as a family names as any of the 19 are. One of my kids changed their last name after turning 18 to my maiden name and it wasn't due to any rancor toward his dad. He just really liked mine better and couldn't see any reason to keep the one they liked less since I was just as much his parent as his dad. I couldn't argue with that - and he's way happier. Names are so personal it's not something I tend to judge.

If it were me I'd have gone with Jordan in a hot minute because estheticly I think it sounds so much better than Duggar, but to each their own.

I thought we called her Famy just because of her showboating, coattail riding , attention courting, no job having, stardom chasing lifestyle of hers.

I have a deep-seeded dislike for people who give English a bad wrap by claiming that for all intensive purposes, the original meanings of phrases, and the corruptions from this day in age are one in the same, or barely a hare's breath apart. It's a tough road to hoe, but it serves as an abject lesson in this doggy-dog world. But far be it for me to leave language at the beckon call of people who's understanding of words in an epoch failure. I suppose some people must of decided that preserving old meanings is an idea running neck in neck with storing you're fortune in a safety-deposit box and waiting on tenderhooks for interest.

Chow!

:lol: I saw what you did there!

I have a deep-seeded dislike for people who give English a bad wrap by claiming that for all intensive purposes, the original meanings of phrases, and the corruptions from this day in age are one in the same, or barely a hare's breath apart. It's a tough road to hoe, but it serves as an abject lesson in this doggy-dog world. But far be it for me to leave language at the beckon call of people who's understanding of words in an epoch failure. I suppose some people must of decided that preserving old meanings is an idea running neck in neck with storing you're fortune in a safety-deposit box and waiting on tenderhooks for interest.

Chow!

Ow, ow, ow. My eyes. And my head. I can't find a smilie for a head exploding so this will have to do.

:head-desk:

Ouch.

:lol: I saw what you did there!

For a second, I thought, "Oh no! Not you too!" and then caught on :lol:

But I do have to agree; I've seen "tow the line" written here more times this week alone than ever before. I've bitten my tongue each time because I hardly come to FJ for grammar, but since it was mentioned...

Holy fuck, that "sermon". Off to see what Mr. FF has to say about it. If you know his Jill recaps, you know this should be good.

Chow!

I except your explanation.

Episcopalian here. There were some Episcopal churches I attended which were almost identical to what I have heard were RC - except for the Latin that is. I grew up next door to one with a huge cross complete with larger than life size JC. There was also a confessional and the minister (who was my godfather) conducted confession on Friday night. Although I don't think participants were given Hail Marys to do before they could take communion .

When that church moved to a bigger building my family attended a different church which was a little less "high church" however, I was taught during catechism class that the wafer and wine were indeed transubstantiated and were most holy. I do recall that there was an American flag but I don't remember whether it was part of the processional/recessional although it very well might have been.

Your Sunday school teacher was either somewhat mixed up or (more likely) you misunderstood the subtle distinction between transubstantiation and the Episcopalian/Church of England belief that Christ is present in the Eucharist and that the bread and wine are holy after consecrated.

Roman Catholics believe that the Host literally becomes the Body of Christ. The "substance" changes through consecration. This is why earlier in the thread someone joked that people with gluten allergies should be RC.

Episcopalian doctrine is that the Host represents Christ who is spiritually present in the Eucharist (and whose spiritual presence remains in the bread and wine that has been consecrated). The bread and wine are still bread and wine, however.

I was received in the Episcopal church after decades as a lapsed RC so the distinction, which we covered in class, is still clear.

I agree that it is comfortingly like RC worship but much less dogmatic and focused on sin. Some of the fundie families we snark about remind me about some super-Catholic families I knew in my youth. Huge families, fear of going to hell, over-worry about sexual "purity" etc.... And definitely the idea that if you are not RC you are going to Hell.

It has changed. Even the cousin I have who is a nun does not think I am going to hell. :)

Chow!

lmao! :clap:

Chow!

Ouchie!!

I've been raised in what everyone claims to be a non-denominational church but it's pretty Pentecostal in their beliefs/practices. The Catholic bashing issue is a real thing - I've never understood it.

Ex: Our church just hosted a fun fair for the community. Obviously, everyone that attends our church is volunteering to make sure things are running smoothly. You would think it would be a time to put a smile on your face and not judge people and love them for who they are, eh? Yeah, didn't happen. I watched two of our church members tear apart the catholic faith (because they believe Mary is higher than Christ? Some Catholics worship her because she's his mother? I'm not familiar with their beliefs so I'm sorry if this is incorrect) while a very devout catholic woman waited in line for her cotton candy. They then proceeded to get in a fight with said woman.

I was mortified.

In all honesty, I figured that if you love Jesus and you're serving him, that's all that matters. I don't think God cares about the rest of the petty details and blurred lines of denominations.

:lol:

I thought putting ;) was enough but I guess I need to actually type (sarcasm). I was funnin, well trying to. Thought that was clear, but it was funny that people took me seriously. Messed up sayings don't irritate me, usually I just wonder how people get them wrong.

So was I. Back their. :D

Ha! Sorry to have done that to you, but welcome, anyway! (And also, blame watchdog, not me!)

:lol: I couldn't imagine that "sermon" hadn't been discussed here before. (Maybe it has. I haven't done a search.) Words cannot describe. You have to see and hear it for yourself.

On a related note, I would imagine old Jack has become intimately acquainted with a few "polished shafts" during his unfortunate incarceration. (RIP, Meshach Taylor.)

ETA: Never mind. I missed the link earlier. viewtopic.php?f=269&t=11949 Thank you, ShadowyOne. Still, just one page of comments? Y'all can do better than that!

I have been lurking for almost 2 years. Haven't posted at all (obviously).

I just watched that video. And it made me decide, yep, time to come out of lurkdom.

I don't even know what I just watched, but I need a shower. What. The. Fuck.

Welcome! Happy to oblige. :lol:

Chow!

Irregardless, its a hard language to master.

:worship: You're turn. I await with baited breath.

Firstable, I noticed a riffle in my previous post: "in an epoch failure" should have been "is an epoch failure".

This is the cross-eyed bear. Now as a pennants, I must dusk off my creativity to give this game a new leash on life. I don't mean to signal out anyone specifically, or be disingenuine, but certain groups of people are straddled with a poor understanding of ergonomics that I have to chock up to pore education. Once such group maybe Josh and and his insectuous elk, to name a view. Some people may say it's hyperbowl to make such a raucous, but I think that's just a fetal excuse from people who are in high dungeon and have gone to great links to decrepit their opposing counterparks with the idea that money is no option. During the current physical year, I've thralled through alot of financial data, and the results show that some people just can't curve their spendings. Even what people a ledge to be a free lunch has slings attached by those who are coal-hearted enough to do their upmost to cheat a dough-eyed innocent. But if you treat someone like a leopard just to slack your own first, you're fermenting trouble. The result of this wreckless behaviour will reel its ugly head when you try to intergrade the preannual mixmatch of expenses. Any southmore with a giga-counter can detect the jar-dropping embarrassment of having to cow-tow when you discover such an alterior motive. It's not worth the mindgrain of having to literally swim a knotical mile as a bi-product of actions that go beyond the pail of decent sea.

On the ether hand, image an being tolled the only way to strum-up support for your pointer view was to show off your midrift? Maybe you can pawn that off on a quaint ants before the situation gets expotentially worse, but that isn't fullproof. I can't mix my words here: whether you stand stalk-still, or with flying collars, the results would be half-hazard. In any case, you'll pay an exuberant price. This really gets people's dandruff up. The resulting cacoughony is allowed enough noise to overlowed a LAN-line. But don't get boggled down trying to lip-sing, because contemporary music is not above approach. Some people think it's floorless manner from heaven, but others think it's a pus-jewel on the face of the preforming arts. You won't fine me in the march pit!

I recently herd from a professor on the ten-year track who had done alot of sturdy of wind turbans. While I'm not up to day on that subject, please give me some leadway before you lamblast me. It takes a lot for one of these turbans to give up the goat, and they can power a self-phone tower, which I think you'll agree can be a god's end. But there's no love loss for people who give constriction plants a thumps up, and then get their nipples in a twist when what they thought was down packed ends up looking like sandscript. But after they chute the manager it ends up being much to do about nothing. Or else it's a pincher attack by rapid fans who mist their winfall.

Moving foreword, I can't keep tract of everything I've said, but if I cut to the cheese right now I think that would be putting the cat before the whores. (Don't worry, I'm good enough at marshal arts to avoid the eminent add homonym attack.) Now that statement has all the subtle tea of a bowl in a china shop, but I've been fighting people on this issue like hammer and thongs, which I think has demon-straightened my poweress is up to stuff. I'm not too squirmish to crawl on our fours if knead be. As an in-term measure, I can easily snob all those Monday concerns that my argument is floundering due to my hand-fisted and hack-kneed responses and antiques which should have caused me my job. Perhaps my prospective is skewered, and I've been brandying about an exclamation that can't be understood by anyone outside my right-wind click. But the dye is cast now: anyone with a posable thumb is lie able to get post dramatic stress from having their elementary canal rimming with barred wire.

Sorry, you're probably all dissolutioned by the cosmic dissidence. It's time for us to part waves now. *dawns fedora*

I've been raised in what everyone claims to be a non-denominational church but it's pretty Pentecostal in their beliefs/practices. The Catholic bashing issue is a real thing - I've never understood it.

Ex: Our church just hosted a fun fair for the community. Obviously, everyone that attends our church is volunteering to make sure things are running smoothly. You would think it would be a time to put a smile on your face and not judge people and love them for who they are, eh? Yeah, didn't happen. I watched two of our church members tear apart the catholic faith (because they believe Mary is higher than Christ? Some Catholics worship her because she's his mother? I'm not familiar with their beliefs so I'm sorry if this is incorrect) while a very devout catholic woman waited in line for her cotton candy. They then proceeded to get in a fight with said woman.

I was mortified.

In all honesty, I figured that if you love Jesus and you're serving him, that's all that matters. I don't think God cares about the rest of the petty details and blurred lines of denominations.

Bolded is what a lot of Protestants, esp of the fundy/fundy-lite ilk think Catholics believe.

The super shirt cliff note version is we venerate Mary as the mother of Jesus, but we do not worship her nor do we pray to her like an alternate deity. Catholics ask Mary to intercede on our behalf. You know, ask her to go talk to her son about whatever we need help with, because if you get her on your side she's got the clout to nag her son on your behalf.

Ditto saints. We don't pray to them thinking they can fix our problems, but because they've got connections we don't have. It's the equivalent of needing a favor and you know someone who knows a guy so you ask him to help you out. It's kinda like the Chicago way of doing business, but without having to pay off your alderman to get word to the mayor.

When it come to deities Catholics have the same big 3 as most (all? I don't know) Christian denominations. God, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost/Spirit. Everyone reports to the Holy Trinity, even Mary.

My personal religious beliefs are complicated but the above is a very superficial sketch of what Catholics believe vs what some people in some sects think we believe.

What's funny to me is I've been on the receiving end of this anti-Catholic bias from various and sundry fundy-lites since I was a kid; there is this weird visceral reaction from many about how wrong we are. It's real anger. And tbf even those who hate us for what they wrongly think we believe would find plenty to disagree with in our canon as well. But the funny thing is it's not a two way thing. Most Catholics I know don't give a rats ass about what other people believe. I'm not saying it the bastion of tolerance - plenty of Catholics I know don't embrace other belief systems marrying into the family, and sure as shit don't appreciate people trying to "save" us but most of us don't spend of energy worried about what other churches are teaching.

Before FJ I couldn't have told you the difference between Pentecostal or Methodist. I'm still iffy on a lot of the doctrinal differences of even main stream sects and I'm not alone in this. There seems to be an anger from some people in some sects at Catholics for merely existing, and i think they'd be surprised that most of us not only aren't angry that thy exist but that theyre so far below the radar were not even aware of them unless there is actual conflict.

Not all people are like that, you're clearly not and that's great...but it's just weird that this is a thing.

Firstable, I noticed a riffle in my previous post: "in an epoch failure" should have been "is an epoch failure".

This is the cross-eyed bear. Now as a pennants, I must dusk off my creativity to give this game a new leash on life. I don't mean to signal out anyone specifically, or be disingenuine, but certain groups of people are straddled with a poor understanding of ergonomics that I have to chock up to pore education. Once such group maybe Josh and and his insectuous elk, to name a view. Some people may say it's hyperbowl to make such a raucous, but I think that's just a fetal excuse from people who are in high dungeon and have gone to great links to decrepit their opposing counterparks with the idea that money is no option. During the current physical year, I've thralled through alot of financial data, and the results show that some people just can't curve their spendings. Even what people a ledge to be a free lunch has slings attached by those who are coal-hearted enough to do their upmost to cheat a dough-eyed innocent. But if you treat someone like a leopard just to slack your own first, you're fermenting trouble. The result of this wreckless behaviour will reel its ugly head when you try to intergrade the preannual mixmatch of expenses. Any southmore with a giga-counter can detect the jar-dropping embarrassment of having to cow-tow when you discover such an alterior motive. It's not worth the mindgrain of having to literally swim a knotical mile as a bi-product of actions that go beyond the pail of decent sea.

On the ether hand, image an being tolled the only way to strum-up support for your pointer view was to show off your midrift? Maybe you can pawn that off on a quaint ants before the situation gets expotentially worse, but that isn't fullproof. I can't mix my words here: whether you stand stalk-still, or with flying collars, the results would be half-hazard. In any case, you'll pay an exuberant price. This really gets people's dandruff up. The resulting cacoughony is allowed enough noise to overlowed a LAN-line. But don't get boggled down trying to lip-sing, because contemporary music is not above approach. Some people think it's floorless manner from heaven, but others think it's a pus-jewel on the face of the preforming arts. You won't fine me in the march pit!

I recently herd from a professor on the ten-year track who had done alot of sturdy of wind turbans. While I'm not up to day on that subject, please give me some leadway before you lamblast me. It takes a lot for one of these turbans to give up the goat, and they can power a self-phone tower, which I think you'll agree can be a god's end. But there's no love loss for people who give constriction plants a thumps up, and then get their nipples in a twist when what they thought was down packed ends up looking like sandscript. But after they chute the manager it ends up being much to do about nothing. Or else it's a pincher attack by rapid fans who mist their winfall.

Moving foreword, I can't keep tract of everything I've said, but if I cut to the cheese right now I think that would be putting the cat before the whores. (Don't worry, I'm good enough at marshal arts to avoid the eminent add homonym attack.) Now that statement has all the subtle tea of a bowl in a china shop, but I've been fighting people on this issue like hammer and thongs, which I think has demon-straightened my poweress is up to stuff. I'm not too squirmish to crawl on our fours if knead be. As an in-term measure, I can easily snob all those Monday concerns that my argument is floundering due to my hand-fisted and hack-kneed responses and antiques which should have caused me my job. Perhaps my prospective is skewered, and I've been brandying about an exclamation that can't be understood by anyone outside my right-wind click. But the dye is cast now: anyone with a posable thumb is lie able to get post dramatic stress from having their elementary canal rimming with barred wire.

Sorry, you're probably all dissolutioned by the cosmic dissidence. It's time for us to part waves now. *dawns fedora*

Could someone please summarise this for me?

[Alessi eats, shoots and leaves...)

:clap: Cyborgkin

Particularly

This really gets people's dandruff up

and

get their nipples in a twist

I'm gunna work those into conversation!

So the Jack Schaap video...all kinds of amazing. I too love the guy on the far left - every once in a while his stone face breaks and you can see the "da fuq" look in his eyes.

Also, is that a giant lava lamp behind Jack's left shoulder?

Also what is up with the gallery of old white men all wearing white jackets? Is this common in this flavor of Baptist church?

:lol:

This is deserving of it's own thread. :clap:

Ditto saints. We don't pray to them thinking they can fix our problems, but because they've got connections we don't have. It's the equivalent of needing a favor and you know someone who knows a guy so you ask him to help you out. It's kinda like the Chicago way of doing business, but without having to pay off your alderman to get word to the mayor.

I love this and am borrowing this. I read this to my DH who grew up in Pilsen neighborhood of Chicago and his dad was active in politics. He was like, yep that's about right.

Will be handy when explaining to SILs fundie friends why I wear a St. Jude metal.

Will be handy when explaining to SILs fundie friends why I wear a St. Jude metal.

The patron saint of lost causes. Too bad Smuggar won't give him a holler, I bet he can use the assist right about now.

Edited to fix quote tag

Archived