IGNORED

Joshley Madison Pt 7: O Smuggar Where Art Thou?

happy atheist

My theology student friend who joined a liberal Episcopalian church (CoE in the US) after he'd had enough of Catholicism telling him that he was a horrible person for being gay (but he still loves the rituals) described Anglicanism as "The Reform Judaism of Christianity: all of the ritual and fun, but way less insufferable ideologically".

I like that a lot. I think my Episcopal church might occasionally have the Episcopal flag and the American flag, even in the procession sometimes, but I can't recall a specific instance right now. But we have pride flags outside and in the back of the sanctuary 100% of the time. Yet it's close enough, ritual-wise, to mollify my Catholic in-laws.

• Replies 964
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the anti-Catholic bashing kind of reminds me why my grandparents chose to live in a Polish-American community for the majority of their lives.

Oooh, has Jack Schaap's infamous "polishing the shaft" sermon been discussed anywhere on FJ? That was a good one which deserves it's own topic (although I'm sure it didn't go unnoticed by our FJ sleuths and has probably already been discussed at length somewhere). Schaap is now serving a 12-year sentence in prison for having sex with an underage girl.

He must have been contemplating all those hard passages... going longer and deeper :dance:

Trying to imagine Faree Ginger, Tracy Lourdes, et al MST3K-ing through this....!!!

I'm methodist and we did that a few times :D

I'm Lutheran and the church I grew up in did stuff like that all the time. All our Youth activities were always us, a Methodist and a Baptist church. We also got "credit" for attending other churches during confirmation.

viewtopic.php?f=269&t=11949

[bBvideo 560,340:3cfl3qds]

[/bBvideo]

Ask and ye shall receive. Worth watching, although I find all fundie videos insufferable, no matter how LOLs-worthy (also, the whole thing's two hours long, but you get the idea quickly.)

*edited to snip some previous quotes

What in the name of JESUS H CHRIST is this man doing? Seriously, my mouth is hanging open.

[bBvideo 560,340:3dx9jm8o]

[/bBvideo]

Ask and ye shall receive. Worth watching, although I find all fundie videos insufferable, no matter how LOLs-worthy (also, the whole thing's two hours long, but you get the idea quickly.)

what the everloving fuck did I just watch

One of my pet peeves is the overuse of a certain hymn - especially by the musically challenged. Thanks to the live chat I will henceforth think of the title being "Sufficient Grace" or perhaps "Barely Adequate Grace".

Lol! Maybe if peeps more often did the other verses?

This has always been my favorite:

When we've been there ten thousand years,

Bright shining as the sun,

We've no less days to sing God's praise,

Than when we've first begun.

I apologize for a message I wrote that Happy Atheist snipped. HA was quite right, and I apologize. I got writing and what I was writing got away from me. I haven't read the whole thread--just up to HA's cease and desist order. I thought I'd better apologize asap.

Thank you to those who expressed concern about something a relative of mine did; it was many years ago, it's long forgiven (no, really) and the relative in question still has the capacity to be so funny that I have to be cautious about him: he'll make me laugh so hard that Coke comes out my nose. So it's all just something that happened a long time ago. It would be fair to say that nobody in my family comes anywhere near perfect, and that obviously includes me.

I have been lurking for almost 2 years. Haven't posted at all (obviously).

I just watched that video. And it made me decide, yep, time to come out of lurkdom.

I don't even know what I just watched, but I need a shower. What. The. Fuck.

I just watched that video. And it made me decide, yep, time to come out of lurkdom.

I've been looking around on the internet for an explanation of the video and I'm starting to think that it was actually part of his sermon to simulate masturbation. Lemme keep searching.

My theology student friend who joined a liberal Episcopalian church (CoE in the US) after he'd had enough of Catholicism telling him that he was a horrible person for being gay (but he still loves the rituals) described Anglicanism as "The Reform Judaism of Christianity: all of the ritual and fun, but way less insufferable ideologically".

I grew up Catholic (and my parents still are) and we attend the Episcopalian church. My daughter and I say "all of the pomp, none of the guilt!"

When I was an undergraduate a fundie friend invited eight of his friends to his wedding. We were a tight group and all sat together in a long row. The ceremony was kind of over the top and kind of uncomfortable, but then the minister began to make a statement beginning with "I am told that there are people here who have not accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as their savior" as he looked pointedly at our row. I went rigid with discomfort: we were seated near the back of a fairly small church, and there was one guy who was Buddhist and two of the guys who were Jews. Not Jews who practiced their religion, but still. It just seemed outrageous for the minister to start making a pitch for them to accept Jesus Christ into their hearts, etc. etc. etc., and I felt furious. As this speech went on I looked down the row at shocked and embarrassed faces. Then the Jewish guy at the end of the row, normally the politest of men, suddenly began pounding one hand on his knee and saying "Zu-LU! Zu-LU! Zu-LU!" He wasn't shouting, by any means, but it was certainly loud enough to be heard. The little talk changed its focus at that point and the ceremony went on.

As my friend interrupted the come-to-Jesus pitch I remember first feeling stunned and then damned happy about it. None of us had to interrupt the wedding by walking out, which was the only thing I could think of doing. It was a time for the polite to drop politeness. Somehow we never felt that close to the groom after that . . .

We didn't linger at the reception. We all got out of there so we could say "Can you BELIEVE that guy?" etc. etc. etc. and go for drinks.

I have attended events at my SIL churches and I kept my mouth shut most of the time. Even when someone told me I was going to hell for wearing jeans to a fun fair and I deserved to get food poisoning (which I did and reported to school) from said fun fair. I kept my mouth shut when they passed the basket at a school Christmas concert for the teachers' bonus and found out their teachers only make $20K at the time. I did open my mouth to SIL when the sermon/graduation speech by the lovely Jack Schaap turned into gay-bashing and I was told by SIL I "misinterpreted the message." No, I think it was very clear.

I have friends who are different religions and I am nothing but respectful when I am there, even when I don't agree. It's calling being a polite guest.

Yep. If everyone followed your example on being a polite guest this world would have fewer problems.

I attended a funeral for a close family member a few years back at one of the mega churches - very fundy light. (One family member left Catholoscism to join there and that's where they raised their family). It was a close enough relative that we were grieving and not just showing up to pay respects and none of us (still catholic or lapsed) would have dreamed of saying a critical word about their faith. But almost the entire memorial service was about how lucky this person has been saved by this very specific path and how truly sad it was that so many others won't see them in heaven when they die.

I don't think it was aimed at us in particular, but almost like they take advantage of people in the pews who would ordinarily never be in their audience and it was at least as much about pushing their message as it was honoring the person who had passed.

After the service we were all approached by some stranger giving condolences and asking what church we went to. We stuck with the party line of just being there to pay respects and not discussing anything else.

Look, if the family members we love haven't been able to convert us in decades what shot do they think they have?

I did notice they pushed a lot harder with some of my siblings than they did with me - in fact their attempts with me were pretty cursory and quickly abandoned. We actually talked about it later because it was so obvious and we figure it was one of two things: a) I have a real gift for being confortable in the uncomfortable silence and while I'm civil I don't help people carry the conversation or b) the modest crucifix I wear repels spiritual vampires as well as regular ones.

I think it's the latter.

I've been to two fundy lite funerals and both times I was so angry at the prothetlitizing because you're the ultimate captive audience.

Ha! Sorry to have done that to you, but welcome, anyway! (And also, blame watchdog, not me!)

*googles* Wow, such riot, many club, so seal! :D

Funny thing, that joke was in my mind recently because "You're a baby seal and it's clubbing season" was a question in a card game (Bucket of Doom) I watched a video of in the last week. (This video:

WARNING: CONTAINS Cards Against Humanity and many naughty words and inappropriate jokes! :o :shock: :pink-shock: :twisted: Not recommended for the Maxwell's game night :penguin-no: )

I just love how they're on the light up dancefloor and everything.. LOL

Jack Schaap is Jack Hyles' son-in-law. Hyles was the pastor of FBC Hammond, the largest IFB church in Indiana, and the "Hyles" in Hyles-Anderson College.

The deeply fundie really are a twisted, incestuous bunch, aren't they?

Lmao at Famy's "I won't be a Duggar much longer!" Didn't she just change her name to Duggar?

Yeah soon after the Duggars became a television sensation she changed it from Jordan (her "father"'s last name) to Duggar... hence why (I think, atleast) we call her Famy.

My mom is from a huge Irish Catholic family. She went to Catholic school until she graduated. Anyway, she dated a guy who grew up pentecostal and he would tell her, jokingly, the stuff they would say about catholics during church. They told him we all got drunk and stock piled guns and my mom's response was "I wish that was true. I probably would go to church more."

Every youth group I went to, and I went to a lot of different denominations, had a weird Catholic bashing time. One youth pastor would dredge up an article about Catholic priests like every week and write his sermon around how wrong they are.

Oh yes... Catholic priests are horrible people because they sexually assault underage boys.

Atleast Christian pastors sexually assault underage girls.

:lol:

Oh yes... Catholic priests are horrible people because they sexually assault underage boys.

Atleast Christian pastors sexually assault underage girls.

[emoji38]

The crazy thing was, it was never about that. It was always about their theology. One time he found a sermon a priest gave about easter eggs and the youth pastor made a huge deal about how traditions mean more than Jesus in the Catholic Church.

what the everloving fuck did I just watch

Sorry. I am not surprised that this guy is in prison. He looks like he enjoyed that a bit too much.

I agree with the person up there who said they needed a shower.

[bBvideo 560,340:1kn0qwds]

[/bBvideo]

LOL! Look at the guy on the far left. He has a whole lot of side-eye and WTF look going on.

I lasted a whole 15 seconds with complete shock. That guy in the background looked like he was really into it. Geezus, I feel dirty.

Honestly, when Schaap was busted, neither myself, DH or MIL were surprised at all. We had sat through some interesting sermons before (my nephew attended the school from 7th grade to HS graduation). My SIL still thinks he is innocent and the media and Catholics misinterpreted it, yet last fall she quietly switched to a new church. This is why I have no hope Joshie is getting anything resembling help for his problems. Considering some of the stuff my nephew and his classmates went through, I think Joshie will be more messed up when he is done with "treatment".

toe the line

probably

voila

per se

and many, many more.

I have a deep-seeded dislike for people who give English a bad wrap by claiming that for all intensive purposes, the original meanings of phrases, and the corruptions from this day in age are one in the same, or barely a hare's breath apart. It's a tough road to hoe, but it serves as an abject lesson in this doggy-dog world. But far be it for me to leave language at the beckon call of people who's understanding of words in an epoch failure. I suppose some people must of decided that preserving old meanings is an idea running neck in neck with storing you're fortune in a safety-deposit box and waiting on tenderhooks for interest.

Chow!

Archived