IGNORED

Apostolic Clerk Disobeys SCOTUS, Denies Gay Marriage License

FundieFarmer

As of yet her son hasn't defied any court orders so no jail for him. He probably should be fired though I'm not sure how that works with his boss in jail.

He may go as well.

"Her six deputy clerks were given a half hour to decide if they would issue the licenses or possibly join Davis in jail, according to LEX 18 News. Five of the six decided to follow the order to grant the marriage license. The deputy clerk who has not agreed to follow the judge's orders is Davis' son, WOWK 13 reported."

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/k ... y-contempt

Edit: oh darn, I just reread it as "possibly join". Got my hopes up.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am still having an issues regarding her "Christian" stand on marriage licenses for gays-she has been married THREE times and her twin boys were fathered by her third husband while she was still married to her second husband, she is on hubby number 4. Now is that Christian? :angry-banghead:

She has chosen to remain in jail rather than get out and allow the deputies to issue licenses (which I expected since she objected to her name being on them--her name is on them regardless of who actually hands the license over).

So tomorrow licenses will be issued with her name on them while she sits in jail.

So will her son be obliged to issue licenses or be sacked?

I am still having an issues regarding her "Christian" stand on marriage licenses for gays-she has been married THREE times and her twin boys were fathered by her third husband while she was still maried to her second husband, she is on hubby number 4. Now is that Christian? :angry-banghead:

No - she was married to No 1, got pregnant with twins by No3,married No 2(who adopted the twins) left him, married No 3, left him, remarried No 2..................... yes, I am also confused , god knows what God thinks :mouse-shock:

So will her son be obliged to issue licenses or be sacked?

There's got to be more jobs than marriage licenses there. Somebody has to do birth certificates and TPS reports and stuff. I'm actually more sympathetic to the son as one of many peons in the office who can do something else. Except the nepotistic hiring/supervision thing.

And so what is she achieving apart from martyr status? Don't her supporters see how pointless this is - and how she will eventually monetize it? :angry-banghead:

I don't think she even understands that she is being used as a fundraising tool (in every sense of that word) for Liberty Counsel. She gets nothing out of it. Even gofundme and indiegogo refuse to allow fundraising accounts for her benefit.

So, I posted about this and got some pushback on my FB. I posted the verse about giving to Caesar, and so on, and Galatians 3:28 (some theologians believe that "neither male nor female" mattering to Christ in that verse either encompasses gendered behavior, i.e. sexual orientation, or that it broadly means that all categories of people can be heirs to God's promises), along with a link to an update about her being held in contempt.

First, I had a person who said that her divorces should not even be considered and that God has always meant for a binary male-female design, therefore any form of homosexuality and any "support" of it is wrong. Next, one of my actual friends, who is conservative but never mentions those views to us when we talk, and happily allows us to spend time with her children, said that gay marriage is wrong and Davis should not have to issue them, but that if the gov't tells you to do a job, you have to either do it or step down.

And my own MIL liked that second comment. Great, my own relatives think my marriage is wrong!

I then posted some stats about the rates of suicide and self-harm in LGBTQ youth when they're safe and accepted vs. not, and asked 'is being Biblically right (as right-wingers define it) worth one's life or well-being? You harm people each day by telling them they're wrong, regardless of intent.'

Apparently, it is. Eternal salvation is the most important thing, you know. Although if you commit suicide you go to hell anyway, so isn't it moot? :angry-banghead:

I've lost about 50 "friends" since the start of the year for my staunch belief that there's nothing wrong with gay marriage. In fact I lost one who for posting "If you can't do your job because of your religion, get a different job."

I kinda knew I was friends with so many bigots because I grew up semi-fundy, but it still really hurts :(, so I feel your pain a bit.

I don't think she even understands that she is being used as a fundraising tool (in every sense of that word) for Liberty Counsel. She gets nothing out of it. Even gofundme and indiegogo refuse to allow fundraising accounts for her benefit.

Gofundme has refused her an account? Wow!!!!!

And so what is she achieving apart from martyr status? Don't her supporters see how pointless this is - and how she will eventually monetize it? :angry-banghead:

Exactly. This is just what she wanted...to be a fucking martyr for what she thinks God wants.

It just astounds me that with her marital history she thinks she is called by God to stand for the sanctity of marriage.

Fucking nutcases.

I've lost about 50 "friends" since the start of the year for my staunch belief that there's nothing wrong with gay marriage. In fact I lost one who for posting "If you can't do your job because of your religion, get a different job."

I kinda knew I was friends with so many bigots because I grew up semi-fundy, but it still really hurts :(, so I feel your pain a bit.

I'm sorry but I hate these idiots who are pretending to carry Christ's cross in the name of bigotry.

You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they? So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit.

Behavior like this does not promote the principle stated here in Matthew. Marginalization does not produce good fruits. It produces hate, and with that hate comes isolation, loneliness, and sometimes suicide.

But keep wasting our tax dollars, Kim. I'm expecting an apology and some cupcakes when this is all done.

I'm sorry but I hate these idiots who are pretending to carry Christ's cross in the name of bigotry.

Behavior like this does not promote the principle stated here in Matthew. Marginalization does not produce good fruits. It produces hate, and with that hate comes isolation, loneliness, and sometimes suicide.

But keep wasting our tax dollars, Kim. I'm expecting an apology and some cupcakes when this is all done.

Maybe she can take over Joshie's FRC position and be the new Blessed Clerk of Family Values.

Gofundme has refused her an account? Wow!!!!!

They updated some things back in April, and this is now listed under the "What's Not Allowed" section:

Campaigns in defense of formal charges or claims of heinous crimes, violent, hateful, sexual or discriminatory acts

https://www.gofundme.com/terms

because of gofundme refusals for various nasty christian people there is a christian gofundme version out there. because bigots and haters need support too.

because of gofundme refusals for various nasty christian people there is a christian gofundme version out there. because bigots and haters need support too.

Ouch. :censor2:

Yes, I agree about oaths and it's pretty straightforward that while she is free to believe whatever she chooses, if that causes her to not be able to do her job according to the law, she needs to leave that job (whether voluntarily or otherwise).

And even though in some situations I could see myself endorsing "civil disobedience" of refusal to comply with laws that I think are unethical, there is no way that her version of that is OK -- she is directly denying individual people their legal civil rights, which is not OK regardless of her opinions about the law.

But in particular I was commenting on the oath thing because FJ has had so many situations where the "words have meanings" lesson had to be explained (to a visiting fundie, usually). So I got an extra kick out of seeing the judge say essentially the same thing to her.

I agree with you (and the judge) about oaths meaning thing. I thought you guys might like to see the text of the oath she took. http://news.yahoo.com/oath-taken-court- ... 17342.html

I, _____, do swear that I will well and truly discharge the duties of the office of _____ County Circuit Court clerk, according to the best of my skill and judgment, making the due entries and records of all orders, judgments, decrees, opinions and proceedings of the court, and carefully filing and preserving in my office all books and papers which come to my possession by virtue of my office; and that I will not knowingly or willingly commit any malfeasance of office, and will faithfully execute the duties of my office without favor, affection or partiality, so help me God.

I agree with you (and the judge) about oaths meaning thing. I thought you guys might like to see the text of the oath she took. http://news.yahoo.com/oath-taken-court- ... 17342.html

I know every media outlet is reporting this but they're wrong. That is the oath for court clerks which are different positions from county clerks.

This is her oath (http://www.lrc.ky.gov/legresou/constitu/228.htm):

I do solemnly swear (or affirm, as the case may be) that I will support the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of this Commonwealth, and be faithful and true to the Commonwealth of Kentucky so long as I continue a citizen thereof, and that I will faithfully execute, to the best of my ability, the office of .... according to law; and I do further solemnly swear (or affirm) that since the adoption of the present Constitution, I, being a citizen of this State, have not fought a duel with deadly weapons within this State nor out of it, nor have I sent or accepted a challenge to fight a duel with deadly weapons, nor have I acted as second in carrying a challenge, nor aided or assisted any person thus offending, so help me God.

I know every media outlet is reporting this but they're wrong. That is the oath for court clerks which are different positions from county clerks.

I do solemnly swear (or affirm, as the case may be) that I will support the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of this Commonwealth, and be faithful and true to the Commonwealth of Kentucky so long as I continue a citizen thereof, and that I will faithfully execute, to the best of my ability, the office of .... according to law; and I do further solemnly swear (or affirm) that since the adoption of the present Constitution, I, being a citizen of this State, have not fought a duel with deadly weapons within this State nor out of it, nor have I sent or accepted a challenge to fight a duel with deadly weapons, nor have I acted as second in carrying a challenge, nor aided or assisted any person thus offending, so help me God.

That oath is certainly...relevant? :roll:

Thanks for posting that, I'm always fascinated by what dumbass things we still have on the books.

Joyous! Can we send her a sword?

Hate to say this, because she is horrid, but this might be her escape...

That is definitely a court clerk oath but even if it was not, it would not be a way out because she still has to perform her duties under the law, one of which is issuing marriage licenses. She cannot unilaterally decide not to issue licenses. Period.

I love old laws still on the books. Az has one that upon release from prison a man is to be provided with pants, a horse, and a gun. :lol:

That oath is certainly...relevant? :roll:

Thanks for posting that, I'm always fascinated by what dumbass things we still have on the books.

I know it's outdated and the giggles abound at actual swearing-in ceremonies but it's unique, at least? (Hey, that's all I got in defense . ;) )

In London, a cab driver may piss on the offside rear wheel, because he cannot leave the horse unattended......

Archived