IGNORED

Apostolic Clerk Disobeys SCOTUS, Denies Gay Marriage License

FundieFarmer

She has a court date in Ashland KY Thursday to motion to hold her in contempt. Just heard it on the news.

Good. I hope the judge throws the book at her. Jail time and a fine. And then the county can bring someone in who will actually do the job and those two guys can finally get their marriage license. Poor men have been to that stupid building 4 times now.

*edited because I really do know the difference between to and two

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good. I hope the judge throws the book at her. Jail time and a fine. And then the county can bring someone in who will actually do the job and those to guys can finally get their marriage license. Poor men have been to that stupid building 4 times now.

I know that the men in question have asked that she just be fined for contempt, but personally (as a resident of the state in question) I sincerely hope that she serves jail time. This is ridiculous and is costing taxpayers an untold amount of dollars.

She has a court date in Ashland KY Thursday to motion to hold her in contempt. Just heard it on the news.

And she will likely be found in contempt.

I know that the men in question have asked that she just be fined for contempt, but personally (as a resident of the state in question) I sincerely hope that she serves jail time. This is ridiculous and is costing taxpayers an untold amount of dollars.

I would love to see her serve time personally but that makes her more of a martyr. I agree with the couples' lawyer that there should be hefty fines and penalties to make it hit her in the wallet, hard.

Well, I believe she petitioned the Supreme Court, and Justice Kagan basically said "Bye Felicia" to her.

So... I mean...

Actually the Supreme said And the Lord said unto Felicia, we bid thee farewell.

The County will continue to allow this right up until the first wave of lawsuits hits them. Then not so much and she (and her kinfolk) will become not so funny but horribly expensive.

The County will continue to allow this right up until the first wave of lawsuits hits them. Then not so much and she (and her kinfolk) will become not so funny but horribly expensive.

The county cannot stop her.

She can only be removed from office by a judge finding her guilty of official misconduct. That particular mechanism has been triggered by the county attorney asking for a special prosecutor but it's a process and won't happen overnight.

It's a long, long story about a woman who desperately clung to her beliefs even when they failed her. She was the first woman I ever met who had a career, and yet believed that God designed women to be intellectually inferior to men. :evil-eye:

The short version: Believing that premarital sex is a sin can lead lusting people to marry someone incompatible. :|

Do divorces to the same person count? My MIL is working on divorce # 5 but it is her 3rd husband. Sadly my mother believes the same thing about women being mental and phonically inferior.

She's homophobic and bigoted. I hope she's found in contempt of court and tossed in the slammer. But I'm sure fundie lawyers are lining up around the block to defend her. With the ridiculous sliding slope of stupidity (Gay marriage will lead to people marrying CANS of TOMATOES) it wouldn't surprise me if she starts an gofundme or indigogo for 'legal defense' and makes bank from donations from the hysterical christian right.

If this state works similarly to my state the Town Clerk is an elected position with a three year term. The Deputy Town Clerk (the position her son holds) is not. That position is hired by and an employee of the town. The DTC acts as a file clerk, administrative assistant, gopher, and takes on the role of TC when the actual elected official is not available (sickness, vacation, meetings, etc.) DTC generally are part time positions. I know this is true, at least in my state, because I am the DTC for my town. I am employed at an hourly rate when I am working with the TC and I get my hourly rate and the fees the TC would normally collect when I work in her stead.

So, at least in NH, if the son chooses not to offer marriage licenses he can/will be fired. The TC was elected to perform the duties of the clerk. One of those duties is to enter and verify information given to her/him, verify by photo ID that the people applying for the license are who they say they are and to record proof of dissolution of prior marriages or widowhood. The TC collects the fees associated with the license for the state, prints out the license, witnesses the applicants signatures and signs the license as the person who entered /verified the data. We then give the applicants the license and they go on their merry way. We do not act as officiant. We do not make the marriage legal. After the wedding ceremony the officiant signs the license and writes in whatever information is required of him/her. The license is mailed back to the TC office. The TC enters the information from the officiant into the state computer and if the couple request a copy of the certificate the TC prints it out and puts the town seal on it.

I am now off to review the state RSA on grounds for removal of TC from office. I can't for the life of me remember it off the top of my head. Bottom line, by writing out a marriage license does not marry a couple. It merely allows a couple the possibility to enter into a marriage contract. Therefore absolutely no religious conflict. Not that there is anyway, but she is sooooo reaching !!eleventy!!

OK grounds for removal of TC from office are HILARIOUS, but I think this woman qualifies for removal from office in the state of New Hampshire.

NH RSA Removal of Town Clerk

I just want to give that poor man a hug in that video. It's not right. But I have heard in the past that the LBGT community there in Morehead have had more problems than even the more rural surrounding counties. Twat needs to step down!

I saw the video on ABC World News. I guess I shouldn't have been surprised that she was wearing a frumper.

This lady needs to seriously just do her job. If she's incapable of that, she needs to resign and let someone who is capable handle it.

I haven't heard anything to suggest she is no longer accepting her paycheck, so her convictions seem pretty hit or miss.

By the way, I see marriage licenses pretty frequently as part of my job. The clerk is certifying that the information provided is correct--like name, age, # of marriages/divorces, are you related, etc.--and is not endorsing the marriage in any way.

Exactly. Her opinion on gay marriage is irrelevant. All she is supposed to do is verify that the people are eligible to get married under state law. She is not supposed to pass judgment or present commentary. Regardless of her religious beliefs she is way overstepping her mandate by trying to decide who is and isn't allowed to get married if the state says they are.

I read this earlier today, and it was somewhat funny, in its mockery of Davis - that perhaps she is refusing to hand out licences because she's used them all up herself.

People like this forget that Christ himself said to "Render unto Ceasar that which is Ceasar's."

Nowhere in the Bible does it say anything about how a marriage becomes a marriage. The marriage license is a way for the state to keep up with who has gotten married and can therefore reap the benefits of said marriage.

Biblically, neither the church nor the state makes someone "married."

People like this forget that Christ himself said to "Render unto Ceasar that which is Ceasar's."

Nowhere in the Bible does it say anything about how a marriage becomes a marriage. The marriage license is a way for the state to keep up with who has gotten married and can therefore reap the benefits of said marriage.

Biblically, neither the church nor the state makes someone "married."

I agree. If I recall correctly, marriage licenses were first instated to prevent interracial marriage in the 1920s.

Can these people get a license from another county? Or do you have to get it in the country you reside?

We are all free to stand up for our beliefs, but we have to be willing to accept the consequences. I don't know what she expects is going to happen here.

There's been a little bit of a hullaballoo in the city nearest me, this week. Pride is on Sunday and one of the city buses is wrapped in rainbow colors and it says "Ride with Pride" on the side. A bus driver is making a huge stink about it, going on and on about how he can't support it and won't drive it.

Well, first off? He's not ever been scheduled to drive it and if he truly didn't want to drive it, he merely has to say so to his employer. He's never once said boo to city transit over this - no complaints filed, no discussion ever had about it. Instead, he's all over the media bleating about how he's so hard done by and how dare people pull the same thing on him, that he pulls on them, with his stance against this 'radical sexual movement."

For the most part, people seem to think he's an idiot and aren't paying him much attention, which I think is probably not how he was expecting this to go. He's now at risk of being dismissed from his position. I hope he is, and I hope that Wal-Mart greeter position pays well.

this lady is wacked. I saw a picture of her with her mother and her mom had short hair and wore pants. I am assuming this woman is a convert to fundiedom (I don't know much about apostolic fundies) because of her multiple marriages and her mom seeming more normal.

Anyway, I really hope this woman gets the book thrown at her. She wants to be a martyr but even homophobic christians are turning on her.

And it gets better. Not only is she committing adultery with her 4th husband, because " wasbands" 1, 2, and 3 are still living, but she gave birth to twins 5 months after divorcing her first husband. The biological father of those children was husband number 3, but husband number 2 adopted them.

Ordinarily I don't approve of slut-shaming but I might be persuaded to make an exception for her.

I have a feeling she's holding out for the big bucks that a gofundme campaign will net her. Give it up, Kim. You have had your 15 minutes of fame.

Archived