IGNORED

Apostolic Clerk Disobeys SCOTUS, Denies Gay Marriage License

FundieFarmer

She gets to be a martyr, especially since she'll most likely have to wear pants in jail. Orange pants are the new frumper.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
She gets to be a martyr, especially since she'll most likely have to wear pants in jail. Orange pants are the new frumper.

I keep thinking about washing that long hair in a jail shower...no bueno.

JAILED FER JESUS! :D

ETA: What's the over-under on how long she'll be in there? I think she'll last two weeks before conceding.

I got a love offering of a pepsi riding on Friday. I bet she has plans for the weekend.

Smart judge.

"Barton tells our Newscast unit that the judge decided to put her in custody after the plaintiffs questioned Davis on whether she had received offers of financial support.

If there was the potential of an "endless supply of money for her to pay her fines," she would have no incentive to comply with the court order, the judge decided."

She was just held in contempt and jailed for failing to issue them. This should bring the crazies out of the woodwork....

I've already had a comment on my Facebook about there being a holocaust on Christians.

I've already had a comment on my Facebook about there being a holocaust on Christians.

Nope. Just on bigots.

Nope. Just a war on hypocrites. Maybe she can join josh as the new "biggest hypocrite ever". But she still doesn't come close.

So the deputies had a half hour to decide whether they want to issue licenses or join her in jail.

Wow. Bunning was pissed.

I think the other deputies would probably be more than happy to issue marriage licenses, but under Kim Davis, were afraid of repercussions if they did so. I hope that Davis loses her job at the next election cycle (that is, if she doesn't resign in protest before then).

FSM is risen!!! :fsm:

She might think she's a martyr, but that's not going to make jail fun. Orange is the new frumper, Kim. How long til she cracks?

*shaking my head* No one is denying her the right to her beliefs, or even denying her the right to stand on any public street and share those beliefs. But she was elected to a particular job, one that now requires her to issue marriage licenses to straight, gay and/or lesbian couples. If she feels this goes against her belief system, she should stand down, not insist that she and her entire department be excused from following the law of the land! Whiny Christians give all Christians a bad odor.

Smart judge.

"Barton tells our Newscast unit that the judge decided to put her in custody after the plaintiffs questioned Davis on whether she had received offers of financial support.

If there was the potential of an "endless supply of money for her to pay her fines," she would have no incentive to comply with the court order, the judge decided."

Just read this very powerful letter from a gay father, where he really lays out how and why Liberty Counsel is using Kim Davis for their own enrichment.

Such is your relationship with Liberty Counsel. As the Lexington Herald-Leader observes, the Liberty Counsel “describes itself as a nonprofit that provides pro bono legal representation related to “religious freedom, the sanctity of life, and the family,†funded by tax-deductible donations and grants. In 2012 those gifts reached just over $3.5 million and in 2013 topped $4.1 million, according to IRS filings.†They further point out that the group’s involvement with you is not because they even believe they can bring you satisfaction, but that “Liberty’s attorneys know they can’t win the case in Rowan County. Same-sex marriage is legal since the Supreme Court’s June 26 decision and it’s Davis’ job to issue marriage licenses. So, why is Liberty Counsel marching alongside Davis in this losing cause? It takes a lot to keep that marketing machine humming and those executives paid, and the only way to keep those donations coming is to stay in the news. For that purpose a losing cause is just as good as, perhaps better than, a winning one.â€

Liberty Counsel seeks to attract emotionally charged hate money from those wanting to harm all gay families, from those who would wish to criminalize homosexuality, from those who see gay marriage and abortion with equal passion. Just because they have rallied to your cause, they are not your friends either however. What they are doing to you is worse than what they will actually be able to affect towards LGBT families.

http://www.liberalamerica.org/2015/08/3 ... kim-davis/

JAILED FER JESUS! :D

ETA: What's the over-under on how long she'll be in there? I think she'll last two weeks before conceding.

Thank you for my new location.

As one of (probably) seven 'liberals' in Kentucky, I am so grateful for this ruling! Seeing this bigotry up close and personal every day gets exhausting sometimes.

You need to get different people on your Facebook feed

Do they have any decision-making or policy powers? Our system is quite different here - elections are only for politicians.

I'm not certain of that. Certainly not to decide legal issues or disputes, though. I think her position is more like one of the various county department heads -- her department would cover things like (obviously) marriage licenses and divorces, DBA (doing-business-as) business licenses, recording births/deaths etc. In my county the Clerk also heads up the elections department, who administers elections and oversees the polling places, etc. (but she would not make election law, but could probably decide some local policies regarding election procedures). In some places the Clerk also works in an administrative role (note-taker, agenda-preparer, etc) for the County Board of Supervisors, which is the legal decision-making unit for the County.

Side note: in the article I just read about her being jailed, the judge was quoted as saying "Oaths mean things." Which I promptly associated with FJ's mantra: "Words have meaning." :cracking-up:

'Oaths mean things'. Yes. She swore to follow the the law. She now refuses to do so. She is forsworn. Look in the Bible about being forsworn - it does not make you a martyr.

'Oaths mean things'. Yes. She swore to follow the the law. She now refuses to do so. She is forsworn. Look in the Bible about being forsworn - it does not make you a martyr.

Yes, I agree about oaths and it's pretty straightforward that while she is free to believe whatever she chooses, if that causes her to not be able to do her job according to the law, she needs to leave that job (whether voluntarily or otherwise).

And even though in some situations I could see myself endorsing "civil disobedience" of refusal to comply with laws that I think are unethical, there is no way that her version of that is OK -- she is directly denying individual people their legal civil rights, which is not OK regardless of her opinions about the law.

But in particular I was commenting on the oath thing because FJ has had so many situations where the "words have meanings" lesson had to be explained (to a visiting fundie, usually). So I got an extra kick out of seeing the judge say essentially the same thing to her.

Yes, I agree about oaths and it's pretty straightforward that while she is free to believe whatever she chooses, if that causes her to not be able to do her job according to the law, she needs to leave that job (whether voluntarily or otherwise).

And even though in some situations I could see myself endorsing "civil disobedience" of refusal to comply with laws that I think are unethical, there is no way that her version of that is OK -- she is directly denying individual people their legal civil rights, which is not OK regardless of her opinions about the law.

But in particular I was commenting on the oath thing because FJ has had so many situations where the "words have meanings" lesson had to be explained (to a visiting fundie, usually). So I got an extra kick out of seeing the judge say essentially the same thing to her.

Perhaps she had her fingers crossed for Jesus when she swore the oath. If so, it obviously wouldn't count and she can righteously continue to deny people their civil rights. (This may have been her sole intent when running for the position.)

So why isn't the son in trouble? He is an employee, not an elected official, so can be fired for refusing to do his job....

So why isn't the son in trouble? He is an employee, not an elected official, so can be fired for refusing to do his job....

Well his boss is in jail, so there's that.

She has chosen to remain in jail rather than get out and allow the deputies to issue licenses (which I expected since she objected to her name being on them--her name is on them regardless of who actually hands the license over).

So tomorrow licenses will be issued with her name on them while she sits in jail.

And so what is she achieving apart from martyr status? Don't her supporters see how pointless this is - and how she will eventually monetize it? :angry-banghead:

I wish her son was either fired or in jail, too.

As of yet her son hasn't defied any court orders so no jail for him. He probably should be fired though I'm not sure how that works with his boss in jail.

Archived