IGNORED

Bates Family - Part 3

happy atheist

Watched a clip of Nathan flying. N6100K is the plane's tail number for anyone who wants to stalk fundie planes (as they do for the Duggars).

• Replies 951
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps, but if they finish their degrees (as Erin did), then at least they will have a better chance at making it/staving off poverty/supporting a family/etc. if something happens to their husbands down the road.

I know they have more money now, but from their state before I doubt the parents would have let their kid just not finish a degree. Even if they were getting married. Going to college and not finishing would be just like flushing money down the drain for them. It's not impossible but it certainly provides more incentive to push your kid to finish.

Speaking of education, know what I would love to see?

A Fundie family doing a real chemistry lesson with cooking. Cooking and teaching chemistry go great, and it would be fundie approved. Except for how it makes sense and would be useful for their children.

I know they have more money now, but from their state before I doubt the parents would have let their kid just not finish a degree. Even if they were getting married. Going to college and not finishing would be just like flushing money down the drain for them. It's not impossible but it certainly provides more incentive to push your kid to finish.

I think Alyssa took a few classes at Clown and then dropped out to work at the florist shop and plan her wedding (and perhaps Erin's-- not sure of the timeline).

Speaking of education, know what I would love to see?

A Fundie family doing a real chemistry lesson with cooking. Cooking and teaching chemistry go great, and it would be fundie approved. Except for how it makes sense and would be useful for their children.

To get technical baking not cooking. My uncle (who went to culinary school) told me that cooking is an art, baking is a science.

To get technical baking not cooking. My uncle (who went to culinary school) told me that cooking is an art, baking is a science.

Where I live cooking refers to preparing the main part of the meal whereas baking refers to desserts and pastries.

Where I live cooking refers to preparing the main part of the meal whereas baking refers to desserts and pastries.

It's still chemistry.

Am I the only one who thinks that Michael's ring is really, really pretty and the thought behind it extremely sweet? :embarrassed: :lol:

Watched a clip of Nathan flying. N6100K is the plane's tail number for anyone who wants to stalk fundie planes (as they do for the Duggars).

The plane is owned by Southern Wings Aircraft Sales out of Wiley Post Airport in Bethany, OK. The owner of Southern Wings is one Randy Post. Maybe the plane was a rental? I haven't seen the episode; can anyone tell when or where the footage was taken? I have a flight history for this plane going back three months, but there are some ambiguities in the record.

Pretty sure JillyO is saying that uninsured people like tourists can't just go into a foreign ER and not have to pay. Unless it's different in Scotland.

Few years ago I had a bad brown recluse bite with necrotic tissue while on vacation in Eastern Canada. Drove myself to the ER, waited for three hours (granted the guy with the cut off finger and the lady with the broken leg should have had priority) was seen for two minutes by a doctor who incorrectly diagnosed it as impetigo and sent me to the only pharmacy open past 5 pm to pay out of pocket for Bactroban topical antibiotic ointment. That was about $50 Canadian out of pocket. When I got home I got another bill for over $300 Canadian, which meant more US as the US dollar was worth less than the Canadian at the time. So yeah, I had to pay for it and got incorrect diagnosis and treatment to boot. The next morning I woke up with a full body venom flush. There was zero point in going back to the ER who couldn't even diagnose correctly. The wound got worse over the next week until I got stateside again and could get it properly treated. Still have the scar. Bringing the damn medications and products to treat it myself when I go back in a month. I will probably survive another bite but I am not taking chances with my diabetic parent and being "tourists" (we both had to give up our Canadian and formerly dual citizenship). So nope, no free ride for tourists when visiting.

I don't think that was the confusion. I majored in chemistry, and baking has more in common with it than cooking. Baking pastries/desserts (for the most part) requires exact volumes/mass of ingredients, cooking temperature/times, etc, just like in chemistry. You don't have to be as exact with cooking, say, spaghetti.

I don't think that was the confusion. I majored in chemistry, and baking has more in common with it than cooking. Baking pastries/desserts (for the most part) requires exact volumes/mass of ingredients, cooking temperature/times, etc, just like in chemistry. You don't have to be as exact with cooking, say, spaghetti.

This is how my uncle explained it to me. It's why you can watch cooking shows and the chefs are marinating meat (for example) they don't measure out ingredients. You can throw in a pinch of this or that and it will still turn out fine. If you don't follow a cooking recipe to a T (for example decreasing the amount of salt in a marinade) it will still turn out fine.

Baking (breads, desserts, etc) is a different ballgame. It's why something like salt is in things like cake (which you don't expect to be salty). Leaving out an ingredient or putting the wrong amount in can mess things up. You have to follow the recipe exactly (ok not on things like frosting) and measure things out.

This is how my uncle explained it to me. It's why you can watch cooking shows and the chefs are marinating meat (for example) they don't measure out ingredients. You can throw in a pinch of this or that and it will still turn out fine. If you don't follow a cooking recipe to a T (for example decreasing the amount of salt in a marinade) it will still turn out fine.

Baking (breads, desserts, etc) is a different ballgame. It's why something like salt is in things like cake (which you don't expect to be salty). Leaving out an ingredient or putting the wrong amount in can mess things up. You have to follow the recipe exactly (ok not on things like frosting) and measure things out.

It depends on the ingredient and the baked good, really. For cakes, you can (and usually should) reduce the sugar by a third, if not a half. Nearly all cake recipes have way too much sugar in them. Bread recipes can also sometimes be reduced. Brownies are hit and miss, cookies have to be precise.

It depends on the ingredient and the baked good, really. For cakes, you can (and usually should) reduce the sugar by a third, if not a half. Nearly all cake recipes have way too much sugar in them. Bread recipes can also sometimes be reduced. Brownies are hit and miss, cookies have to be precise.

I left baking soda out of muffins once. They didn't rise.

(Never baked bread before, kinda scared to). Brownies are always from a mix.

Baking soda/baking powder are ingredients you can't really fuss with, though I've successfully used one in place of the other. I'm not huge on baking bread, but banana/zucchini bread is fairly easy. Brownies are probably the easiest baked good to make from scratch. If you want a suggestion, the recipe from "Cook Like Your Grandmother" is pretty much fail proof, customizable, and delicious.

I used self=-rising flour instead of regular flour in banana and zucchini bread once. It made the bread ginormous!

But it was actually a big hit, because it made the bread less dense, and a lot of people liked that.

I freeze overripe bananas for bread and have a great recipe. It's my go to xmas present for people. Zucchini bread is pretty easy too. I also like pumpkin bread.

I should clarify myself. I haven't tried any bread that requires yeast. I do a lot of dessert breads.

Once I procrastinated a fifth grade project to the weekend before it was due, and totally forgot the assignment sheet at school. Then I managed to mix up that the experiment was supposed to be about what happens with different amount of baking soda, and did it with baking powder. Those cookies were delicious, but definitely more like a brittle.

ETA: Even as an adult my cooking skillz are more similar to Erin, PRE-Chad.

The plane is owned by Southern Wings Aircraft Sales out of Wiley Post Airport in Bethany, OK. The owner of Southern Wings is one Randy Post. Maybe the plane was a rental? I haven't seen the episode; can anyone tell when or where the footage was taken? I have a flight history for this plane going back three months, but there are some ambiguities in the record.

I'm guessing it's a "teaching plane" or maybe Logan is in the process of buying it and doesn't have all the paper work finished up. Odd it hit Hattiesburg and stayed.

I bet this Bahamas trip has something to do with courtship. Maybe Nathan asking someone. They like to make a big deal about those things.

I bet this Bahamas trip has something to do with courtship. Maybe Nathan asking someone. They like to make a big deal about those things.

I had the same thought. The camera crew was there so its possible...

Perhaps, but if they finish their degrees (as Erin did), then at least they will have a better chance at making it/staving off poverty/supporting a family/etc. if something happens to their husbands down the road.

Yeah, at least Erin has something she can do that brings in a bit of money if she ever needed to.

And while they're only going to Clown College, at least getting some education will better prepare them for when it's their turn to conduct SOTDRT in the future.

Your uncle and my mom were of one mind. Even things like using a liquid measuring cup for flour can throw off some recipes, because you can't tap out the air and level if off. My baking used to be hit or miss until I finally started listening to my mom and following instructions precisely. And the execution is a lot less forgiving. No roast was ever ruined because someone pulled it out of the oven +/- an exact moment, but making eclairs? Start in a 450 oven and bake for 10-14 minutes depending on the size of your piped pate a choux, then kick the oven down to 325 and bake for another 20-25 minutes watching during the final 5 min because a minute too early and they are doughy and worthless, a minute too late and much too dry. Open the oven during baking and there's no saving them, just toss the batch and start over. Even basics like cookies have such a small window between perfect and hockey pucks, but tbf some savory cooking can be fussy like this (soft boiled eggs come to mind.)

Baking ingredients tend to be less variable as a rule where with cooking your produce and meats aren't going to be nearly as consistent. My mom always said there are cooks and there are bakers and she was a baker. I always thought that was her playful acknowledgement that she wasn't the best cook, but there is a different mindset to each. I really admire those who can excel at both.

We didn't home school (nor was I home schooled) but I taught all my kids fractions the same way my mom taught me, with measuring cups, spoons, and sticks of butter.

My mom is always too impatient to measure things out precisely so baking isn't exactly her forte (she makes excellent sourdough bread, though). I, on the other hand, am obsessive about rule following so when I started baking my mom thought I was some kind of baking genius. Nope, I just know how to follow directions.

My mom is always too impatient to measure things out precisely so baking isn't exactly her forte (she makes excellent sourdough bread, though). I, on the other hand, am obsessive about rule following so when I started baking my mom thought I was some kind of baking genius. Nope, I just know how to follow directions.

And that's what makes you a baking genius.

Archived