IGNORED

Bates Family - Part 3

happy atheist

My only interesting baking story is from when I was much younger. I was making something called Jam Doughnut Muffins (yes, really)... only they kinda exploded in the oven. Or maybe it was just the jam reacting to the heat or something and exploding. I also made little chocolate cupcakes for all the people in my classes on my final day of school... this is easier than it sounds, as an A-Level student I only did three subjects, had two of them on my final day... one other person in my German class and six others in Philosophy. I had enough for everyone, plus two for me and one per teacher :D

• Replies 951
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally watched the proposal episode and read the blog. Brandon seems really thoughtful - that ring was chock full of stuff that mattered to them! The blog though... both of them, but Michael especially, sound so tortured over that period of time! all of this "I don't deserve a man like that" "he would never like me" for three years... poor thing.

On a more shallow note, she is strikingly beautiful.

Finally watched the proposal episode and read the blog. Brandon seems really thoughtful - that ring was chock full of stuff that mattered to them! The blog though... both of them, but Michael especially, sound so tortured over that period of time! all of this "I don't deserve a man like that" "he would never like me" for three years... poor thing.

On a more shallow note, she is strikingly beautiful.

All the Bates girls are very pretty, and each sort of has her own look, which is nice. However, I think they are some of the worst false advertisers for the Courtship method.

Of course the system works for them. They are beautiful women with excellent connections from a famous family. They can sit back and wait for their "intended" to show up because they WILL get suitors. It's like when people from wealthy families brag about graduating college without debt. Yes, it's great, but not everyone has the advantage of parents who can afford to do that.

The Bates girls would get suitors no matter what crazy dating thing they followed. The issue with courtship is that while claiming to promote focusing on something other than the physical, it actually completely handicaps those women not born with physical beauty. It hurts women like Rebecca Eleventy, who seem to be great women, but are simply not physically appealing enough to attract a suitor from afar.

I just feel for all those women who are sucked into the Courtship method without the necessary benefits to make it work.

absolutely agree. And if someone eligible and beautiful like Michael beat themselves up so much about the whole thing, just imagine the others... :?

I just watched the flying episode today and I believe Nathan said during the episode that he went to Hattiesburg to finish up his flight training through a ministry that focuses on flying and training pilots.

This stuck with me because just last week I was at a major aviation expo which had an entire section for "Missionary Pilots" with at least 4-5 different organizations promoting their training and opportunities for those interested in this sort of work. Liberty University was one of several Christian institutions promoting its degrees in aviation, and there were a number of Christian piloting groups represented as well. We checked out one float plane on display which was brand new, and as the man working the booth explained, was on its way to Indonesia next month to be used in missionary work there. This particular organization had a map that showed their footprint/impact and they were working on nearly every continent and had thousands of sites they had pilots. So most likely Nathan is completing his flight training to join one of these organizations/missions. Even my heathen son and I thought it would be a lot more fun/interesting to be a bush pilot for Jesus than simply forcing beliefs on ministering to the locals like the Dillards are currently doing.

Can anyone pm a link to where I can find this flying episode?! My usual source will apparently be delayed a week. Gotta get my fundie fix before that!

Can anyone pm a link to where I can find this flying episode?! My usual source will apparently be delayed a week. Gotta get my fundie fix before that!

Same here, I wanna watch! :roll:

I just watched the flying episode today and I believe Nathan said during the episode that he went to Hattiesburg to finish up his flight training through a ministry that focuses on flying and training pilots.

This stuck with me because just last week I was at a major aviation expo which had an entire section for "Missionary Pilots" with at least 4-5 different organizations promoting their training and opportunities for those interested in this sort of work. Liberty University was one of several Christian institutions promoting its degrees in aviation, and there were a number of Christian piloting groups represented as well. We checked out one float plane on display which was brand new, and as the man working the booth explained, was on its way to Indonesia next month to be used in missionary work there. This particular organization had a map that showed their footprint/impact and they were working on nearly every continent and had thousands of sites they had pilots. So most likely Nathan is completing his flight training to join one of these organizations/missions. Even my heathen son and I thought it would be a lot more fun/interesting to be a bush pilot for Jesus than simply forcing beliefs on ministering to the locals like the Dillards are currently doing.

Do tell! Was John Shrader there? :lol:

Do tell! Was John Shrader there? :lol:

Nope, didn't see him! Can't fit a family in a Cessna!

I think this was the group that was supporting most of the aviation missionary groups. It looks like a HUGE ministry I had never heard of before. Here are things they are involved in:

iamanet.org/content/discover

My teen son wants to get his pilot's license sometime, but I can assure everyone it won't be through this group. There was another group at the expo that was there expressly to win souls and proselytize and they had a pretty prominent spot. We managed to avoid them when we first passed them, but when we went through the same area later (to get to another section) one of the guys made a beeline for my son and took a pack of playing cards out of his pocket (I am guessing that was his way to reel in the kids). I told my son to smile and nod and to walk faster so they guy couldn't engage us.

As we scurried away, I whispered to my son that a lot of Christians wouldn't even have playing cards, much less try to use them to engage a youth to talk about faith. Does anyone know if any of the fundies we discuss are against playing cards? Gambling is an obvious thing to be avoided, but what about playing cards for fun?

BTW, if you just want to see the Nathan flying bits, most of it is on the UP TV site. Watch the one with Lawson flying afterwards to see how competitive they are. I have to say, though, it's not easy to get a pilot's license and takes a lot of time and effort, so props to Nathan for pursuing something that would make his parents/culture happy (potential mission work) and could help provide him with a real job as a pilot someday.

uptv.com/shows/bringing-up-bates/videos/bringing-up-bates-flying-the-friendly-skies/

uptv.com/shows/bringing-up-bates/videos/bates-exclusive-video-lawson-takes-flight/

has anyone seen this tumblr site? http://bates-family-photos.tumblr.com/ I think you can watch episodes. my eyes popped out when I saw Alyssa in jeans!! :clap: :cracking-up:

I clicked on that link. Interesting dress that Addee is wearing at Michael's bridal shower. (I think it's Addee anyway...)

My teen son wants to get his pilot's license sometime, but I can assure everyone it won't be through this group. There was another group at the expo that was there expressly to win souls and proselytize and they had a pretty prominent spot. We managed to avoid them when we first passed them, but when we went through the same area later (to get to another section) one of the guys made a beeline for my son and took a pack of playing cards out of his pocket (I am guessing that was his way to reel in the kids). I told my son to smile and nod and to walk faster so they guy couldn't engage us.

As we scurried away, I whispered to my son that a lot of Christians wouldn't even have playing cards, much less try to use them to engage a youth to talk about faith. Does anyone know if any of the fundies we discuss are against playing cards? Gambling is an obvious thing to be avoided, but what about playing cards for fun?

What Christians are against playing cards?

I've heard this story many times and have heard of others doing the same thing jacksjoint.com/deck_of_cards_bible.htm

I clicked on that link. Interesting dress that Addee is wearing at Michael's bridal shower. (I think it's Addee anyway...)

It looks to me like they played the shower game where you make a wedding dress out of toilet paper. That's probably the group that won. Addie is just draped all fancy in TP. ;)

What Christians are against playing cards?

I've heard this story many times and have heard of others doing the same thing jacksjoint.com/deck_of_cards_bible.htm

Many of the IFB ATI families I grew up around were against all cards, even games like Uno or Old Maid. It was all about avoiding the appearance of evil and how playing a child card game was the slippery slope into gambling and gambling into drinking and drinking into drugs. :roll: I'm not sure I ever heard any Bible verses against playing card games.

When I was a kid we weren't allowed to play with actual playing cards (like with hearts, spades, etc.), but we could play "go fish" and "uno".

Many of the IFB ATI families I grew up around were against all cards, even games like Uno or Old Maid. It was all about avoiding the appearance of evil and how playing a child card game was the slippery slope into gambling and gambling into drinking and drinking into drugs. :roll: I'm not sure I ever heard any Bible verses against playing card games.

I could see ATI being against it since they are against everything. When I was a kid the IFB here didn't turn their nose up at cards but compared to today they were down right liberal hippies. But the OP said "a lot of Christians" and none of the denominations I've been around have been openly against cards. Many hold card parties for the older people.

has anyone seen this tumblr site? http://bates-family-photos.tumblr.com/ I think you can watch episodes. my eyes popped out when I saw Alyssa in jeans!! :clap: :cracking-up:

There's a whole thread for you about the shock of Alyssa's new fashion sense: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=24767

Importantly, there's been discussion that in being married to the Websters, she's probably no less fundie because there are many super-conservative fundies who wear pants.

And yes, that is DEFINITELY a toilet paper dress, typical bridal shower game. Addee looks so much like a young Alyssa!

Nope, didn't see him! Can't fit a family in a Cessna!

I think this was the group that was supporting most of the aviation missionary groups. It looks like a HUGE ministry I had never heard of before. Here are things they are involved in:

iamanet.org/content/discover

John Shrader got his pilot's license here: mata-usa.org/?s=john+shrader

What was the proselytizing group? Do you remember by any chance?

In related news, Erin posted to Instagram about how she recorded a Christmas album with some dude not her husband (Chad was there on daddy-duty though, so no worries Purity Police!) Jury is still out regarding whether she'll be banging the hell out of that piano the way she did at the Duggar clusterfucks weddings.

(In all seriousness though, good for her!)

Also, from now on, I shall refer to all Fundie weddings as clusterfucks. Because its far more entertaining for me.

In related news, Erin posted to Instagram about how she recorded a Christmas album with some dude not her husband (Chad was there on daddy-duty though, so no worries Purity Police!) Jury is still out regarding whether she'll be banging the hell out of that piano the way she did at the Duggar clusterfucks weddings.

Also, from now on, I shall refer to all Fundie weddings as clusterfucks. Because its far more entertaining for me.

She is actually good at playing the piano. I think she was mad at Jessa and Jill during their weddings.

I was really uncertain where this was going while reading the phrase "banging the hell out of..."

Archived