IGNORED

Erika Shupe *fake smile* Large Families on Purpose *cringe*

happy atheist

This one is much more grotesque.

tumblr_nvtw8o2buX1t2iv8bo1_1280.png

Do you think she would answer if someone asked her why bob posts Halloween posts? If no one else wants to I will go ask lol.

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of people do infant baptism. It's not a big deal.

If she doesn't like how it's done, can't she talk to her preacher/minister about doing a private event for just the family?

I'm aware that a lot of people do it; but I disagree that it's not a big deal.

Erika posted a link earlier today about "Dynasty Trusts"... Which links through to "The Covenant Family Institute" that is promoting the creation of such a trust: thecovenantfamilyinstitute.com/dynasty-trusts. They promise a trust "designed by a trust expert" for $500... Very careful not to use the words lawyer or attorney among other issues.

Dynasty Trusts, also known as generation skipping trusts or GSTs, are very common and used frequently in estate planning for high net worth individuals. They can be highly technical and it is wise to use an attorney experienced in estates and trusts to draft your document.

PS: The 2015 Estate Tax Exemption (US) is $5.43 million... How many fundies really need such a trust? $500 goes a long way when you're cramming a dozen people in a three bedroom house. :pull-hair:

PS: Long time lurker, but finally took the plunge...

A lot of people do infant baptism. It's not a big deal.

If she doesn't like how it's done, can't she talk to her preacher/minister about doing a private event for just the family?

You may or may not be interested but there was just a discussion about infant baptism on the "Sex is only for Christians" thread a few days ago...

Do you think she would answer if someone asked her why bob posts Halloween posts? If no one else wants to I will go ask lol.

I have no idea but I'd love to find out!

I'm aware that a lot of people do it; but I disagree that it's not a big deal.

A lot of people were sprinkled by their local priest/minister when they were christened as babies, and it meant nothing at all to them. It was just what people did a few years ago. If that's what she's talking about, I don't think it's a huge deal either.

If she's talking babptism as in full immersion, then maybe that's different, I don't know. I see full immersion as something an adult chooses to do later on in life.

I have no idea but I'd love to find out!

I can't see any Halloween related posts on Bob's page - just some anti-Obama, pro-gun crap. Maybe he's been told by Erika to knock it off already, so he's deleted them all?

ETA: Oops - found the pumpkin murderer one...

Yeah, I scrolled quite a bit for these but they're worth it if somebody dares to point them out to her. (I fear I mess with her too much and she knows me now. I even got in it with her over PM once, sort of. I asked her why she deleted comments -- apparently she did not.)

tumblr_nvu0tdMOGz1t2iv8bo1_1280.png

This one also confuses me. He seems to be suggesting that dying was an unbelievable joy for this child....because he was in a wheelchair? That's many levels of disgusting and counts as celebrating death in my book. I'm sure this is a religious heaven thing but it seems so bassackwards to say "we don't celebrate death" but also say "going to heaven is to be celebrated!!!"

Yeah, I scrolled quite a bit for these but they're worth it if somebody dares to point them out to her. (I fear I mess with her too much and she knows me now. I even got in it with her over PM once, sort of. I asked her why she deleted comments -- apparently she did not.)

tumblr_nvu0tdMOGz1t2iv8bo1_1280.png

This one also confuses me. He seems to be suggesting that dying was an unbelievable joy for this child....because he was in a wheelchair? That's many levels of disgusting and counts as celebrating death in my book. I'm sure this is a religious heaven thing but it seems so bassackwards to say "we don't celebrate death" but also say "going to heaven is to be celebrated!!!"

I wanna do it! I'm worried about using my fb for that though. Would she respond somewhere on the blog? Is her fb public or do I have to add her? I'm on mobile so I'd like to figure this all out before I do. Should I include bob's pics in my comment?

I wanna do it! I'm worried about using my fb for that though. Would she respond somewhere on the blog? Is her fb public or do I have to add her? I'm on mobile so I'd like to figure this all out before I do. Should I include bob's pics in my comment?

Her Large Families on Purpose Facebook page is public. She usually responds in comments, even to dissenting readers (to a point). I guess proof wouldn't hurt because I'm sure her first life of defense will be denial.

Well shit. I accidentally pressed enter before I finished my message, but the question and links still went through lol. Let's see what happens!

The 'baptism' question is gone.

And she got some push back too;

Large Families On Purpose Thanks - but it's not just my thoughts; it's God's. And to others the children still appear to be celebrating. Outside appearances do matter.

Penelope Wise Actually, it's your interpretation of God's word/thoughts as written in the Bible. Unless you are claiming to have a direct line to our Lord, you are just interpreting His word, as do many other others, which is where differences of opinion and doctrine come from.

:D

if Infant baptism is no big deal then why do it? It was done to me and it is a big deal for my extend family to the point where I had to lie about who I was when we visited as a kid or risk seriously disappoint and wrath. I get a gift every year in memory of the event from my G-d mother*. I hate it, I hate it so so much.

*I had intended to tell her this year about my conversion to Judaism and break her heart because she really loves baby jesus but she has cancer.

Man I really hope she doesn't just ignore me. I don't expect a response yet but I'm worried that's what will end up happening. It would even be better if she just deletes it. If that happens I hope one of you will be up to asking her again hehehe.

I also hope bob gets in trouble. I have no problem annoying the patriarch of a fundie family. Even if Erika is calling the shots, he does nothing to stop her so he's still guilty lol.

Man I really hope she doesn't just ignore me. I don't expect a response yet but I'm worried that's what will end up happening. It would even be better if she just deletes it. If that happens I hope one of you will be up to asking her again hehehe.

I also hope bob gets in trouble. I have no problem annoying the patriarch of a fundie family. Even if Erika is calling the shots, he does nothing to stop her so he's still guilty lol.

If that happens, I vote we all bombard her with the question. :lol:

If that happens, I vote we all bombard her with the question. :lol:

Your comment already has two likes, although I suspect they are both from fellow FJers. ;)

Its just after 10:30 Pacific Time - someone check the schedule - what time does Erika go to bed again?? :cracking-up:

Your comment already has two likes, although I suspect they are both from fellow FJers. ;)

Its just after 10:30 Pacific Time - someone check the schedule - what time does Erika go to bed again?? :cracking-up:

Yeah those came in almost right away. One is def someone reading that blog to snark on because I can tell from her page she doesn't believe any of that stuff. I can't tell about the other lady.

It is very likely Erika might just ignore me though cause my cover photo has a picture of a guy in drag lmao. She might not want to lower herself to talking with a heathen like me hehe

I agree with you, and I was tempted to not snark on the scaled back Christmas, as I'm of the opinion that Christmas has gotten increasingly out of control over the years. I myself don't put up a tree--but I also don't have kids in the house. It just seems sterile and with very little joy, particularly for a house with young children in it. Perhaps I'm projecting Erika's typical coldness onto her Christmas celebration, but couldn't she at least let the kids have their own stocking with some candy in it? Would that kill her to do once a year?

In my family - ok, no kids - we've cut massively down on presents and we open them one after the other. Is that bad??

In my family - ok, no kids - we've cut massively down on presents and we open them one after the other. Is that bad??

I've got two kids and don't always succeed, but a goal is to minimize the "stuff" at Christmas. Partly because we have too much stuff, partly because I don't want to encourage materialism, but also in part because the kids hit a point where they are overwhelmed and each present means much less. Weirdly, there is more joy at four awesome presents than at 20.

Erika does a lot that I really disagree with, but I think a minimalist Christmas is okay.

I once knew a lady who only got her children three presents. She told me three presents were good enough for Jesus, it was good enough for her children.

While I disagree with Erika on a lot of things, I can't snark on her for having a low budget christmas. My family doesn't have very much money so we can't afford to buy each other a lot of gifts, but everyone is happy with the presents they get even though they only get a few. Just being able to spend time with each other at Christmas is special to us and we always enjoy ourselves a lot!

Personally, I don't think I would like spending christmas at the Shupes', but that is mostly because I'm sure the general atmosphere in that house must be terrible, due to Erika's controlling personality, not because they don't buy enough gifts...

We always had tons of presents at Christmas while growing up. These days I'm very over it. The Shupe's are getting a haul in comparison to what I normally do.

I just found it snark-worthy that this woman spelled Baptism, "Babtism."

Carry on, fellow snarkers! Mush! 8-)

I was attempting to point out the fact that this woman spelled Baptism "Babtism," rather than start a discussion on the Baptism of infants versus adults, which I really have no opinion one way or the other on.

Carry on, fellow snarkers! Mush! 8-)

Baptism seems to differ depending on what denomination you are. Over here in Britain, where state funded faith schools are common, it is a well known practice that some parents get their kids "baptised" purely so that they have a chance of getting into a school. The school's usual admission policy is to have x amount of "foundation" places (i.e. for kids who are baptised, who go to church regularly and can prove this, etc) and y amount of "open" places (for those who aren't churchgoers). I went to a Church of England primary school and got an "open" place. I remember when reading through council-provided secondary school leaflets they'd have the admission policy of each school. There were two Catholic schools in my area and there was an admissions hierarchy: practising Catholics in care, other practising Catholics, then right at the bottom non-religious pupils. At my school I wasn't forced to believe in anything. We did pray at the end of assembly, and we sang hymns, but I was never made to believe anything, and we did cover other religions. Faith schools are often very good and achieve good results, which is why they're so popular.

Can totally snark on how she talks about how she does Christmas though! In Christmas Uncluttered, Erika, homeschooling expert, blesses us with the word "translucent-ness".

Apparently, if she used regular paper instead of tracing paper for paper snowflakes and they lacked this translucent-ness, they'd be clutter.

Archived