IGNORED

Erika Shupe *fake smile* Large Families on Purpose *cringe*

happy atheist

I doubt Erika cares if she gives her children nightmares. After all, she sleeps in earplugs and can't hear weeping or nightmare induced screaming. We know Bob can't be bothered to get up and do it either. Karen or Melanie would likely be the ones to deal with it.

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I doubt Erika cares if she gives her children nightmares. After all, she sleeps in earplugs and can't hear weeping or nightmare induced screaming. We know Bob can't be bothered to get up and do it either. Karen or Melanie would likely be the ones to deal with it.

How often I forget that we aren't talking about parents who actually PARENT. My bad, good point! Ugh. I can't imagine having children of any age and sleeping with ear plugs in. I'm a nanny and that alone sounds like neglect but I suppose that's nothing compared to some of her other "parenting" practices!

You only have 3000 to go!

I remember being really desperate to reach "In Full On *beam* Mode" and then I achieved it, but then passed it very quickly. So I changed my location so that I'm in permanent full on *beam* mode

Not that it matters to Erika, but her logic doesn't work with one of her main points. She talks about how letting the occult in early and in bits and pieces is going to lead your children directly to the devil. But she celebrated Halloween and used Ouija boards and knew people who played Dungeons and Dragons (!) growing up. She didn't get sucked in to the devil. She doesn't trust her children to withstand the slightest hint of evil, even though she did. She must think very little of her children.

Erika's entire parenting philosophy seems to be fear-mongering.

Every fundie parent's parenting philosophy is fear-mongering!

I think a lot of who baptizes infants is based on if they believe in an age of accountability or not. My family did, so they declined any dedications or baptisms for babies or small children. My baptist in-laws don't baptize infants, but push 4 and 5 year olds to get saved and baptized, always "their decision". :roll: Meanwhile various extended family members, from nondenominational fundie lite to High church Episcopalian have baptisms, dedications, etc of their infants. If I'm invited, I go, as usually there is a nice brunch... :D

That said, a Roman Catholic friend of mine shocked me when she told me that since her daughter, who now attends a Unitarian church, didn't get her children baptized, she (the grandmother) had baptized them herself as Catholics. I am guessing she did this herself, as would a priest do that? Would that even count?

Ah, no. Catholics allow for a layperson to perform a baptism that counts in an extreme emergency, like if the kid were minutes from death. If she just sprinkled them with some water, even holy water, when they were at her house one day that doesn't count. And a priest wouldn't perform a sacramental baptism behind the parents' back, that would be a huge no. (Source: I looked it up myself a little while ago because I had a similar grandmother. She was off her rocker.)

Ah, no. Catholics allow for a layperson to perform a baptism that counts in an extreme emergency, like if the kid were minutes from death. If she just sprinkled them with some water, even holy water, when they were at her house one day that doesn't count. And a priest wouldn't perform a sacramental baptism behind the parents' back, that would be a huge no. (Source: I looked it up myself a little while ago because I had a similar grandmother. She was off her rocker.)

She had been a nurse who baptized at risk infants, so maybe she thought it would carry over, or maybe she just thought close was better than not at all.

Either way it made me go :pink-shock: but while she is smart, capable, educated and skilled, she is also a bit ... well let's just say I like her but can only spend a little time with her before I go :?

Not that it matters to Erika, but her logic doesn't work with one of her main points. She talks about how letting the occult in early and in bits and pieces is going to lead your children directly to the devil. But she celebrated Halloween and used Ouija boards and knew people who played Dungeons and Dragons (!) growing up. She didn't get sucked in to the devil. She doesn't trust her children to withstand the slightest hint of evil, even though she did. She must think very little of her children.

She still washes her 9 year old son in the shower and M&K brush the younger ykids teeth until they are 12. I don’t think Erika knows what the word trust is. It is a theme with the fundies to not trust their kids to any outside influences. its sad their beliefs are so fragile.

She still washes her 9 year old son in the shower and M&K brush the younger ykids teeth until they are 12. I don’t think Erika knows what the word trust is. It is a theme with the fundies to not trust their kids to any outside influences. its sad their beliefs are so fragile.

Agreed. I think that's why most of them live at home until they get married. I was just posting about this craziness in the real life fundies thread. It's like once they reach a certain age they don't trust themselves either. Sad.

Things certainly are quiet on FB :? I have this awful fear that she has Bob on lockdown in that little baby cage she uses for the twins. I can kind of picture her lecturing him on the dangers on Halloween, while frantically *smiling* and *winking* :shock:

It's kind of embarrassing when you're right in the middle of admonishing someone for allowing their family to celebrate Halloween, and meanwhile your husband is over on his Facebook page going, "Hey guys- check out this cool Halloween meme!" :twisted:

Things certainly are quiet on FB :? I have this awful fear that she has Bob on lockdown in that little baby cage she uses for the twins. I can kind of picture her lecturing him on the dangers on Halloween, while frantically *smiling* and *winking* :shock:

It's kind of embarrassing when you're right in the middle of admonishing someone for allowing their family to celebrate Halloween, and meanwhile your husband is over on his Facebook page going, "Hey guys- check out this cool Halloween meme!" :twisted:

Bob

"Erika, it was just a few harmless jokes! Why do you have to take them so seriously?"

Erika

"I'm not, Bob, it's GOD! I'm speaking for God and you're not listening! Go get in the cage and think about how awful hell is going to be if you don't start taking what God tells me seriously!" *beam*

Bob

"Erika, it was just a few harmless jokes! Why do you have to take them so seriously?"

Erika

"I'm not, Bob, it's GOD! I'm speaking for God and you're not listening! Go get in the cage and think about how awful hell is going to be if you don't start taking what God tells me seriously!" *beam*

*beam* AND *squeeze hugs* Because she's submissive damn it!

Seriously though, I think Bob pretty much ruins everything for Erika.

She has to give up her rigid meal plans when he's around in the evenings and on the weekends.

She had to come up with the all skirts, all the time idea right by herself.

I get the feeling that he intervenes when things get out of control between Erika and the older girls.

Erika isn't fooling me. She's driving that crazy train. Bob is just along for the ride, and I doubt he'd give two shits about any of it if it weren't for Erika.

Bob

Erika

You know, I really wonder about the actual relationship dynamic between the Shupes. Would it go against Erika's vow towards wifely submission to bring up Bob's stupid Halloween FB posts? Would she do it even knowing it flies in the face of her beliefs on submission/a wife's role? Or is she just going to ignore it and lay low for a while?

I'm all too fascinated about the interpersonal dynamics between spouses of those in fundie groups. I've long believed that Erika wears the pants in the relationship and feigns submissiveness while knowing, deep down, she can call the shots.

I think Erika can bring it up in a submissive way.

"Honey, I feel so concerned about what you're posting on Facebook. I'm worried about your soul. Anything Halloween-related is from Satan. It's in Scripture! Why don't we pray about it together?"

*crocodile tear*

Every damn day until he capitulates and deletes it.

She had been a nurse who baptized at risk infants, so maybe she thought it would carry over, or maybe she just thought close was better than not at all.

Either way it made me go :pink-shock: but while she is smart, capable, educated and skilled, she is also a bit ... well let's just say I like her but can only spend a little time with her before I go :?

My grandma too. I was baptized as a baby because my family is super Catholic, but my grandma made sure to splash a little water on the foreheads of all the Jewish babies born in the hospital where she was a nurse. As I said, loon.

My mother was extremely premature, which in 1947 was almost always a death sentence, so she had an emergency baptism in the hospital done by a nurse with tap water. But her parents requested it because they thought she was about to die. She didn't die and got a baptismal certificate after she left the hospital certifying that her baptism was real. All those Jewish babies my grandma freelanced got was wet hair. (I should say it was my paternal grandma who sprinkled water on babies. I'd hate for anyone to think poorly of my maternal grandma; she was lovely.)

Oh God. I took a peak at bob shupe's fb pit of curiosity. I regret this. I mean idk what I expected from a fundie fb but still. This is horrible.

My grandma too. I was baptized as a baby because my family is super Catholic, but my grandma made sure to splash a little water on the foreheads of all the Jewish babies born in the hospital where she was a nurse. As I said, loon.

My mother was extremely premature, which in 1947 was almost always a death sentence, so she had an emergency baptism in the hospital done by a nurse with tap water. But her parents requested it because they thought she was about to die. She didn't die and got a baptismal certificate after she left the hospital certifying that her baptism was real. All those Jewish babies my grandma freelanced got was wet hair. (I should say it was my paternal grandma who sprinkled water on babies. I'd hate for anyone to think poorly of my maternal grandma; she was lovely.)

I love these stories about crazy grandmas, doing what they think is best under the worst circumstances. I suspect those at FJ have quite the fine lineage, including overly intelligent, occasionally uncomfortably pushy, yet overall wonderful grandmas.*

*With a few exceptions, cuz there are always a few exceptions...

Oh God. I took a peak at bob shupe's fb pit of curiosity. I regret this. I mean idk what I expected from a fundie fb but still. This is horrible.

Yeah....Sad and bad simultaneously. I feel for you. I only checked it out a few weeks ago, but I think my brain cells are still recuperating from the experience.

:lol: I'm sorry nobody warned you. It takes about 30 minutes to scroll through just two days (of shit) on his Facebook. He needs to cool his jets and come up with better priorities.

:lol: I'm sorry nobody warned you. It takes about 30 minutes to scroll through just two days (of shit) on his Facebook. He needs to cool his jets and come up with better priorities.

Hey bob! How about instead of sharing endless offensive memes on fb, you pay attention to your fucking kid????

Or at least have the decency to multi task and share with just one hand while playing with your kids with the other lol

Yeah....Sad and bad simultaneously. I feel for you. I only checked it out a few weeks ago, but I think my brain cells are still recuperating from the experience.

I finally went, too. Bob sure has a strong stance on gun control, I wonder if Erika lets him have a gun in the house? Also, good Lord, if only I were playing GOP Bingo...

post-8463-14452000910154_thumb.jpg

Maybe they "need" a gun/many guns to keep the satanists, atheists, and Muslims away? You know how dangerous the Pacific Northwest is...

After browsing his facebook and seeing all of the BS ultra-conservative stuff he posts, now I know for certain that he is a 100% dumb ass. Not for his beliefs necessarily, but because he puts them out there so publicly as a business owner. Many people in the PNW are very liberal and I can imagine people googling his name, seeing his FB, and deciding to go with a competitor instead.

Though I also have a feeling that Bob does whatever the hell he wants, Erika does whatever she wants, and that's how they maintain harmony. His shitposts won't end, even if Erika mentions his Halloween posts.

Archived