IGNORED

Erika Shupe *fake smile* Large Families on Purpose *cringe*

happy atheist

Mr. LL’s brother married a Fundie Lite girl. You come across some incredibly head scratching things. my favorite so far are the 3x5 note cards containing bible verses all over her mothers house. There is one taped to the wall directly across from the toilet so while you are doing your business there is a bible verse staring at you. :think: :lol:

I have countless bizarre stories but by far the most uncomfortable and hilarious to date was when I was the only heathen over for dinner (first time) with their family and we all stood around the table for Father Fundie to say grace. I bowed my head in preparation and to my astonishment the entire family burst into song! OMG, I nearly died! Apparently they sing an old hymn at every meal before they pray! My brother and I are extremely close and he knew at that moment that 1.he forgot to warn me and 2. What I was thinking and it was all both of us could do to avoid eye contact so we didn't snicker like small children through the entire song! It was too funny! And incredibly awkward! Unfortunately that's the most "normal" experience I've had with them.

ETA - I guess it's important to meditate on the Bible while doing your biz in the bathroom? Hahaha!

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember I posted a while ago- might have been in the previous thread- wondering what "YP" was.

WE HAVE AN ANSWER!!! It's "Young Presenters", a speech club. If you go to their blog, and find the scrapbooking post, and click on the thing at the end that takes you to one of their online scrapbooks, there is a section dedicated to Brandon and Anna Marie (and maybe another kid? Not sure) doing a public speaking thing. I think they were only doing a presentation on a book they'd read, so like a verbal book report, but it's a start. Interesting that Erika gets her kids to do it. It's scheduled for half an hour daily, so I wonder if it's some online thing.

Still no schedule. Eh, we can guess what they're like- they don't change a huge amount, especially for Karen and Melanie. They still get up at crazy o'clock.

Just posted: Karen in a wig serving lunch. I swear. (And they're not even having Cobb Salad!! It appears to be SANDWICHES!! I thought they were a Saturday thing only? Maybe things have changed...)

facebook.com/LargeFamiliesOnPurpose/photos/pb.171658456210597.-2207520000.1443557330./967123966664038/?type=3&theater

THIS is what counts for FUN at the Shupe SOTDRT. Actually, I imagine it would be kinda fun, and would make the kids laugh. I can see a corner of the schedule on the fridge behind Karen... I thought Erika LOVED sharing her schedules... she's been posting them regularly since 2012. Oh well, she's got a lot of kids to handle.

ETA - I guess it's important to meditate on the Bible while doing your biz in the bathroom? Hahaha!

So you'd forever learn to associate certain Bible passages with constipation, diarrhea and the toilet smells.

So you'd forever learn to associate certain Bible passages with constipation, diarrhea and the toilet smells.

I feel like in Fundie World everything is supposed to be associated with the Bible *smile* because God's Word *beam*

So, because of the picture of Karen in the wig I am re-reading the "adding fun to homeschool" post and it's just like extra horrifying the second time through.

Homeschooling can be hard at times. It can even be monotonous and stressful some days - especially during the cold, wet, dark winters here in the Great Northwest of the United States when we stay inside most days.

It occurs to me that if her yard is "too wet" to use most of the year and they only go grocery shopping on select days, there may be stretches where Erika and the kids do not leave the house for over 48 hours. This would make me lose my mind and this is, in my opinion, part of the value of going to work or school. I walk 20 minutes to work each way and might detour to a farmer's market on some days. This has a HUGE impact on my quality of living and I'm not sure I could do without it. I live in Minnesota so those cold winters HAPPEN but people really emphasize the importance of finding an outdoor winter hobby, having dogs that still have to go out, etc.

About Fruit Loops;

It's a fun dessert to bring to a friend's house when we've volunteered to bring dessert!

...when you volunteer to bring a dessert to other people and you bring fruit loops while having a blog that does nothing but praise your vast homemaking skills, it's kind of rude and just sort of weird.

This takes a little time in the morning, and I do have our oldest girls do the painting, but again it's worth it to me.

About Face Painting. PHRASING. Oldest girls do all the work, but it's worth it to you? That's just not how effort economy works.

playing at the McDonald's play structure (and letting the kids share a couple of large fries for a treat snack)

This is considered a field trip. I do not consider it one.

And yet, I still don't grasp how the wig is fun.

About Fruit Loops;

...when you volunteer to bring a dessert to other people and you bring fruit loops while having a blog that does nothing but praise your vast homemaking skills, it's kind of rude and just sort of weird.

She really did that? Oh my god it's so bizarre and rude! What would you even do? If a dinner guest told me she'd bring the dessert and showed up with a box of fruit loops I'd be stupefied. And you have to serve them or you're rude, so what, does everyone get a little after dinner bowl of fruit loops? With milk? Ick! I'm amazed. That is ludicrous.

Just posted: Karen in a wig serving lunch. I swear. (And they're not even having Cobb Salad!! It appears to be SANDWICHES!! I thought they were a Saturday thing only? Maybe things have changed...)

facebook.com/LargeFamiliesOnPurpose/photos/pb.171658456210597.-2207520000.1443557330./967123966664038/?type=3&theater

THIS is what counts for FUN at the Shupe SOTDRT. Actually, I imagine it would be kinda fun, and would make the kids laugh. I can see a corner of the schedule on the fridge behind Karen... I thought Erika LOVED sharing her schedules... she's been posting them regularly since 2012. Oh well, she's got a lot of kids to handle.

Handling and serving food is the last place and time I'd want someone to be wearing a long, cheap, synthetic wig. Hork! :ew:

Also, look out, FJ has done been told by Erika *shit eating grin*

CAUTION: This article is not for the faint of heart.

I saw this link on a website that prides itself on smearing our family and others for the way we choose to live our life and raise our children. This article was posted as an example of why homeschooling is soooo dangerous and homeschooling parents are basically paranoid anti-secularists who want to live a separatist lifestyle.

First, this is a large reason why we spend the bulk of our energy in life and online talking about why we homeschool not why we dont send our children to government/public or even private school. The benefits are so abundant, you dont really need to have a list of the reasons to not public school.

Again, I caution you about this article, it is not kind. I will give them credit though, somewhere near the 25th paragraph they do mention that there are homeschooling families that do a great job and the children get great educations.

Now that the homeschooling community is over 2 million strong in the US there will always be people who cant get the job done for whatever reason and it is expected that those children will be made the poster children for the anit-homeschool crowds.

If you feel up to it, read the article, we would love to know what you think about how the secular world thinks about homeschooling families.

I went to public school, but at least I know where to put apostrophes in contractions... :shrug:

She really did that? Oh my god it's so bizarre and rude! What would you even do? If a dinner guest told me she'd bring the dessert and showed up with a box of fruit loops I'd be stupefied. And you have to serve them or you're rude, so what, does everyone get a little after dinner bowl of fruit loops? With milk? Ick! I'm amazed. That is ludicrous.

Wow. I've read that blog entry before but I must have skimmed over that line. Bringing a box of cereal for dessert is BEYOND weird. I get it that she views sugary cereal as a treat rather than breakfast staple, but many people would think its totally bizarre and kind of lazy. I mean, if you're going to bring a store-bought dessert that's totally okay. Just bring something that's actually...a dessert. I could kind of see someone bringing along the fruit loops and string to a dinner with a lot of kids because it could be a time-pass for them. But as a dessert for everyone (including adults).... No. Just, no.

Right? There's nothing wrong with buying a dessert, but if that's what you're doing then get ice cream or a pie, not fruit loops! And if you must have cereal for dessert, make Rice Krispie treats. They're charming and everyone loves them. Plus they take ten minutes.

If I cooked dinner for someone's family of ten and then she walked in and handed me fruit loops I wouldn't even know what to do. I think my brain would short-circuit.

Handling and serving food is the last place and time I'd want someone to be wearing a long, cheap, synthetic wig. Hork! :ew:

I went to public school, but at least I know where to put apostrophes in contractions... :shrug:

CACKLING because Erika is a woman who is afraid to let her children read too much good literature and fiction dessert and apparently has cups made of "Stirophome" and makes multiple posts about how scary and evil government education is, and she thinks article DOESN'T represent her? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is it just me or does Karen look like Jill Dillard in that wig?

Also, Erika liked a special needs homeschooling page on FB. I'm not trying to play internet doctor, but I remember 9 yo Anna Marie's "Daby" card for her father. Hopefully, if she or one of the others has a learning disability this means Erika is doing something about it, as opposed to just praying about it. Or it could just mean she's being supportive of parents who home school their learning disabled kids, I guess.

"CAUTION" really? It's an article bashing homeschooling, not describing open heart surgery. What the hell if there to caution yourself over?

What you meant, Erika, was "CAUTION: article contains points of view different from your own. Only read if you are sure you are not feeling extra tempted to think for yourself today."

God, fundies man. Only they would need to write CAUTION for an article having different views. *facepalm*

LOL... seems Erika trolls sites such as ours that snark on fundies. The following is from her Facebook:

CAUTION: This article is not for the faint of heart.

I saw this link on a website that prides itself on smearing our family and others for the way we choose to live our life and raise our children. This article was posted as an example of why homeschooling is soooo dangerous and homeschooling parents are basically paranoid anti-secularists who want to live a separatist lifestyle.

First, this is a large reason why we spend the bulk of our energy in life and online talking about why we homeschool not why we dont send our children to government/public or even private school. The benefits are so abundant, you dont really need to have a list of the reasons to not public school.

Again, I caution you about this article, it is not kind. I will give them credit though, somewhere near the 25th paragraph they do mention that there are homeschooling families that do a great job and the children get great educations.

Now that the homeschooling community is over 2 million strong in the US there will always be people who cant get the job done for whatever reason and it is expected that those children will be made the poster children for the anit-homeschool crowds.

If you feel up to it, read the article, we would love to know what you think about how the secular world thinks about homeschooling families.

Couldn't agree more @zadie The big CAUTION alert just kills me! IMO, the only reason to caution others when you post something is in the case of a trigger warning or the like. I don't understand why she and many other fundies are so threatened by anyone with other beliefs! If you believe something then be proud! And why not have a discussion and *gasp* learn something from someone who's different from yourself!

As for homeschooling, personally, I don't have a problem with children being home schooled by individuals who have the means to provide them with a proper, well rounded education in safe, secure environments that encourage children to learn, foster growth and development and encourage their CURIOUSITY! As well as provide the children with ways to socialize outside the home.

ETA- of course for us it's assumed, but apparently in their circle I'd need to add that the home schooling provide sufficient meals, snacks and outdoor activities appropriate for each child. ;)

I thought the froot loops dessert was the pre-made (by small children) froot loop necklace/garland/Christmas tree decoration. That would be truly revolting of Erika... Here's hoping I read that wrong.

Right? There's nothing wrong with buying a dessert, but if that's what you're doing then get ice cream or a pie, not fruit loops! And if you must have cereal for dessert, make Rice Krispie treats. They're charming and everyone loves them. Plus they take ten minutes.

If I cooked dinner for someone's family of ten and then she walked in and handed me fruit loops I wouldn't even know what to do. I think my brain would short-circuit.

And hey, if you only have froot loops and don't have rice krispies, you can make froot loop treats the same way.

I get that sugary cereals aren't really appropriate for a daily breakfast but...you give them to your own kids as a treat, you don't take them to someone else's house as a dessert.

I thought the froot loops dessert was the pre-made (by small children) froot loop necklace/garland/Christmas tree decoration. That would be truly revolting of Erika... Here's hoping I read that wrong.

That's how I read it too. Here's to hoping we're wrong!

I'm just gonna say this: there is no way I'd homeschool, at least by choice. I'd probably be able to cope with like elementary school stuff, most likely. I am just not organised enough to homeschool. When I've looked up homeschool curriculum online, the vast majority of it is the kind fundies use. Plus, I'm not American. I haven't found much British material. Then there's the question of beyond elementary/primary school level. I wouldn't feel qualified to teach science, maths, even English.. I'd be fine with languages, cos that's what the degree I'm doing is in. But mostly I liked my school experience too much to deny my kids that. Erika and people would tell me that I could use computer programs to teach advanced science etc, and get them to school independently, but I feel it's a bit harsh to tell an eleven year old that they had to do school alone cos Mummy is too lame to do it herself. No, I'm gonna send them to an actual school where there are people qualified to teach.

As an aside: in those pictures of them on that family walk, Happy is actually being walked on a lead instead of being carried. That's the first I've ever seen him having a proper walk. Of course, it's Karen walking him!! Does Erika have ANYTHING to do with that dog? Or do her kids do all the donkey work??

Does Erika have ANYTHING to do with that dog? Or do her kids do all the donkey work??

I think Karen takes care of the dog the majority of the time. She probably likes having something that is just hers. I mean 8 siblings to deal with, Christ almighty!

Why would Erika take care of the dog when she has eight children and a husband to micromanage? Those towel activities aren't going to set themselves up.

And if you must have cereal for dessert, make Rice Krispie treats. They're charming and everyone loves them. Plus they take ten minutes.

I don't know why, but I canNOT make Rice Krispie treats. Everyone swears they are the easiest thing in the world, but they never turn out right for me. It takes a special talent to screw up Rice Krispie treats! And I'm a fairly decent cook, for the most part.

Bob's facebook page continues to be interesting. Political memes aside, he recently posted a picture of a sort of snowman made of pumpkins with a jack o lantern face having killed another pumpkin. Clearly, this is a Halloween thing but Erika is so very anti-Halloween.

He's also into very racists memes, including one called "Mexican word of the day" which he posts often. He's also posted some Pirates of the Carribean related content, which is media I'm sure Erika doesn't allow. So strange.

Archived