IGNORED

Erika Shupe *fake smile* Large Families on Purpose *cringe*

happy atheist

Previous thread here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25981

Erika archive: viewforum.php?f=207

How to summarize Erika? *wince* Erika has 9 homeschooled kids and recently suffered a miscarriage. She does not believe that women in their 40s are more likely to suffer miscarriages, instead claiming that that's just something doctors made up out of fear of overpopulation. *incredulous look*

All of her children, from the 16-year-old down to the toddlers, go to bed at the same time. But the teens are allowed to get up as early as they want! *raspberry* Their days are blocked out in 15 minute increments, and everything is superduper organized. Objects are only allowed to be used for their intended purpose, except for beach towels. Her kids are allowed to get as creative as they want with their beach towels. *yawn* She utilizes a point system with her kids, that allows them to earn exciting rewards such as a single jelly bean! And they don't get to choose the flavor! Her teens enjoyed fiction reading too much, so now they're only allowed to do it for a few hours on the weekends. *sob*

All of the girls are crammed into one tiny bedroom, and the boys are crammed into another. *cry*

And she has this incredibly annoying way of writing out emoticons. *smile*

Enjoy with us, won't you, the hyper-controlling Erika Shupe and her poor family.

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Erika was my gateway fundie. I found out about her through GOMI last May (as in 2014) and immediately looked through the blog. Like we've all said, it's a huge trainwreck... you know you shouldn't look, but you feel you have to because you can't quite believe your eyes. The thing is, being organised is good. Having some kind of routine for your kids is good. Being able to shop on a budget is good. But the way she goes about things is just mental.

Oh no, I just spent a good majority of my time witnessing the Jill Rodrigues train wreck. Good thing I dont have class in the morning it going to be a long night of fundie stalking

:popcorn2:

I fell hard through the Erika Shupe rabbit hole around the time her last pregnancy was announced, and now I check her fb all the time because I guess I want to torture myself. Love that intro!

I can honestly say that if I was banned from reading fiction as a kid/teen for all but 4 hours a week, it would have only made me crave it more. I would likely have taken advantage of being able to wake up as early as I wanted so that I could read the banned books. Seriously, what happens when the kids are at a good part, and have to wait a whole week to read what happens? I'll give you a hint, it probably doesn't. I have no doubt that Karen and Melanie find ways around this ban. And honestly? I'm sure Erika confiscates the books for the week, but I would have turned into a grade-A thief, knowing when I could grab the books and read them without being noticed, stealing books from my grandparents, smuggling them home in my skirt. Anyone near me with a book collection would have had to be on the lookout.

I have been a periodic reader of Erika's writings...other than her written emoji habit, I mainly remember her post on dressing modestly and how she's mildly obsessed with vests because they are the ultimate in modesty, hiding a woman's lady lumps and all. Gag. I just clicked on her most recent post about "Orderliness"...oh joy. Why on earth is there a chipmunk on the cover of the Character First orderliness book? And her summer schedule for the kids...so stringent! It practically makes me break out in hives just looking at it.

Haha I missed that they don't even get to pick the jelly bean flavor or was that a joke?! Because I can see it going either way.

Highlight of the last thread: Erika saying "stirophome" cups and putting away the "close"

Haha I missed that they don't even get to pick the jelly bean flavor or was that a joke?! Because I can see it going either way.

Highlight of the last thread: Erika saying "stirophome" cups and putting away the "close"

I agree with those highlights. My personal favourite was coming up with a post count title *beam* *sorry*

tried to read and had to stop after camping one. 11 people in a 10 person tent with a 4 person for luggage/changing? :wtf:

We have four people in our family and we usually have an 8-10 person tent for us and luggage and there are times I feel claustrophobic. 11 people in one tent may send me over the edge.

Also totally disagree with limiting reading. I love when my kids put down the tech and read a book.

what is it about these idiots that makes them thing anyone gives a flying fuck about their lives, or worse, makes them think that they are experts and should be sharing advice? Honestly, the arrogance is just incredible.

I had to stop after seeing examples of her daily schedule for her children. It just makes me incredibly sad for her kids. Why do people like this have children? A personality like hers might be useful in certain professions, where extreme organization and being a control freak are good things, but as a parent it is sad. And that she somehow holds herself up as some sort of example of how to live right, just makes be ill.

I just can't with these idiots, just can't.

I spent many a night growing up with a flashlight and a book under my covers because my parents would make me sleep instead of reading all night. When me and my prolific reader BFF discovered romance novels (age 15?) we came up with a very simple paper bag cover that we would use to cover anything we didn’t want known we were reading. (It was because we hated the teasing by the other kids because of the sappy nakked couple on the front.) My elementary school Liberian extended the number of books I could get from 2 to as many as I could carry because I was there every other day. I can not imagine the lengths I would go through to defy Erika.

my family was fucked up. but there were books. there were always books. :shifty-kitty:

I laughed so hard at that chipmunk, Ive also had (too many) some adult beverages this evening so that could be why

also laughing so hard I couldnt get a grip at erika in white stockings, skirt and white sweater, she looks like a smurf :laughing-rolling:

I spent many a night growing up with a flashlight and a book under my covers because my parents would make me sleep instead of reading all night. When me and my prolific reader BFF discovered romance novels (age 15?) we came up with a very simple paper bag cover that we would use to cover anything we didn’t want known we were reading. (It was because we hated the teasing by the other kids because of the sappy nakked couple on the front.) My elementary school Liberian extended the number of books I could get from 2 to as many as I could carry because I was there every other day. I can not imagine the lengths I would go through to defy Erika.

my family was fucked up. but there were books. there were always books. :shifty-kitty:

The poor Shupe kids don't even have a friendly librarian to be in cahoots with. Even if they went to the town library and the town librarian was willing to help, you can bet Erika is there with them, checking to see the books they have are not only suitably non-fiction, but also the right kind of non-fiction. No biographies of anyone too worldly. I can't see them being allowed to read Slash's autobiography of his time before, with and after Guns' n' Roses for example (I just picked that one because hubby's a guitar freak and it's sitting on the shelf next to me).

I have no children of my own. I am not an expert in any type of parenting. That being said...

I want to strangle Erica ***grin*** because she literally makes me shudder.

When asked about the older girls getting jobs she said that she needed and she did not have time to drive them all around. She became upset that someone would dare question her. She does not tell any how to parent. ***laugh***

When asked about being creative she said that she had too many laundry baskets broken and she did. It want to but anymore. Does value STUFF more than her kids? A laundry basket can be so much fun. (I still shove my dog under one because it funny to watch her get out.)

Her kids are not allowed to make blanket forts? I had a friend who let her sixteen year old son make one and leave it up for a week.

She said her kids weren't mature enough to schedule their own time. She doesn't have a problem with them watch the younger Shupes during date date. I honestly want to scream at her

And her leg humpers.

Okay I need to calm down now *grin* *giggle* *put* *a* *straight *jacket* *on* *her*

So, Erika's posted a link to a blog post by Generation Cedar on the LFoP Facebook page...

generationcedar.com/main/2015/07/public-school-the-bible-christians-are-we-at-fault-for-societys-decline.html

utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=socialnetwork

And she commented on the article:

Hi Kelly!

I’m so glad you received God’s courage to post on this topic. It’s so important…although a topic that stirs up so much trouble among believers. =/ I’ve had the Lord ask me to post on several such topics, but we are called to speak truth, hm? *hugs*

Ugh.... these people are so fucking ignorant.

I can honestly say that if I was banned from reading fiction as a kid/teen for all but 4 hours a week, it would have only made me crave it more. I would likely have taken advantage of being able to wake up as early as I wanted so that I could read the banned books. Seriously, what happens when the kids are at a good part, and have to wait a whole week to read what happens? I'll give you a hint, it probably doesn't. I have no doubt that Karen and Melanie find ways around this ban. And honestly? I'm sure Erika confiscates the books for the week, but I would have turned into a grade-A thief, knowing when I could grab the books and read them without being noticed, stealing books from my grandparents, smuggling them home in my skirt. Anyone near me with a book collection would have had to be on the lookout.

And that really shows just how effed up Erika's policy is. It's like Erika's ultimate goal is to be able to control her children's very thoughts.

It will be interesting to see how these kids deal with being adults and away from home without a schedule or imposed boundaries. I just see Karen laying on her bed, still in her pajamas at three in the afternoon, surrounded by stacks of library books, jumbo bags of jellybeans, and Olive Garden take out.

And that really shows just how effed up Erika's policy is. It's like Erika's ultimate goal is to be able to control her children's very thoughts.

It will be interesting to see how these kids deal with being adults and away from home without a schedule or imposed boundaries. I just see Karen laying on her bed, still in her pajamas at three in the afternoon, surrounded by stacks of library books, jumbo bags of jellybeans, and Olive Garden take out.

Exactly. If Erika doesn't allow her kids to even try and schedule their own time, how on Earth are they going to know what to do when they reach 18/leave home?? If you've not had any practice at something, you're not gonna succeed first go. (Obviously I don't mean with relatively minor things. You're not gonna be able to pass your driving test if you've never driven before).

I have been a periodic reader of Erika's writings...other than her written emoji habit, I mainly remember her post on dressing modestly and how she's mildly obsessed with vests because they are the ultimate in modesty, hiding a woman's lady lumps and all. Gag. I just clicked on her most recent post about "Orderliness"...oh joy. Why on earth is there a chipmunk on the cover of the Character First orderliness book? And her summer schedule for the kids...so stringent! It practically makes me break out in hives just looking at it.

Because Character First was created by Bill Gothard and was based around Character Sketches which were written by Bill's brother Steve, who was isolating and sexually assaulting women at the time he was writing these. And Steve related all the character qualities to animals. Anyway, that is why there is a chipmunk. It doesn't really make sense but nothing Gothard creates does.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Develop-Order ... B008NOQK0Y

I'm having a bad day. I really need cheering up.

Can someone please Photoshop a picture of Erika and her toothy smile with a gold tooth in front, messy hair, Goth eyeliner, and tatoos?

Motherhood might be a calling in Erika's mind, but her personality type is not the type to have 9 children. There are several occupations that her anal retentiveness and control freak nature would suit perfectly--- prison guard, drill sergeant in the military, boot camps (military and otherwise, even ALERT type), etc. I also think she'd make a great professional organizer.

I personally think she's miserable in her chosen lifestyle and she decides to take her misery out on her poor children.

I don't know if she's miserable because of her lifestyle, or because she's miserable and the lifestyle is a symptom of her misery.

The control issues she CLEARLY has is obviously covering up for something. Severe anxiety? Some sort of trauma? I don't know, and I don't care. She needs help though. She needs to know that the world will not collapse if her kids brush their own teeth (or *gasp* forget and don't brush one day a year while "camping")

I can't imagine such a high strung person has very many friends in her chosen area of the country. Her blog makes me tired and I want to take her to CO and get her some pot.

Not that I want her to neglect her kids. Just to chill out. Send the kids to camp - let them choose which one. If a couple of them want drama camp and a couple want to go to adventure bike camp, that's OK. You have two adults to drive them and there are usually ways to make things happen. Go to a movie. Give them klondike bars and watch footage of space on your computers. SOMETHING. Do something other than clean, organize, and schedule. YOU ARE SO WEIRD ERICA.

Motherhood might be a calling in Erika's mind, but her personality type is not the type to have 9 children. There are several occupations that her anal retentiveness and control freak nature would suit perfectly--- prison guard, drill sergeant in the military, boot camps (military and otherwise, even ALERT type), etc. I also think she'd make a great professional organizer.

I personally think she's miserable in her chosen lifestyle and she decides to take her misery out on her poor children.

WCB, I agree with almost all your post other than the bolded. Professional organizers need to work closely with clients who are anything but organized due to various reasons, all of which require the organizer to have empathy and compassion on top of their organizing skills. Can you imagine her storming a house that's filled to the rafters with stuff because the owners lost both sets of their parents within two years and brought in most of the deceased parents' stuff in, their kids are out of the house but left stacks of their house because hey, cheap storage, and also have a touch of arthritis and some depression? "now, we don't need all this ugly old stuff, do we? Throw it out, right now, or I will *evil chuckle*". *sad tune to mourn the end Erika's organizing career*

WCB, I agree with almost all your post other than the bolded. Professional organizers need to work closely with clients who are anything but organized due to various reasons, all of which require the organizer to have empathy and compassion on top of their organizing skills. Can you imagine her storming a house that's filled to the rafters with stuff because the owners lost both sets of their parents within two years and brought in most of the deceased parents' stuff in, their kids are out of the house but left stacks of their house because hey, cheap storage, and also have a touch of arthritis and some depression? "now, we don't need all this ugly old stuff, do we? Throw it out, right now, or I will *evil chuckle*". *sad tune to mourn the end Erika's organizing career*

Good point there, but she'd be good with doing organizing type things that don't directly involve contact with people. I've gotten rid of a lot of my stuff lately, and there's several blogs (and a book about a Japanese decluttering method) that I've read to assist people.

(Again I try to see the good in everyone) and I also think she'd be good at helping people prep a home for sale/staging. When people see her home, it's pretty showroom worthy and no buyer would ever guess that 9 kids live there.

When people get to the point where they want to sell their home, a lot of stuff is typically gotten rid of or in storage.

Good point there, but she'd be good with doing organizing type things that don't directly involve contact with people. I've gotten rid of a lot of my stuff lately, and there's several blogs (and a book about a Japanese decluttering method) that I've read to assist people.

(Again I try to see the good in everyone) and I also think she'd be good at helping people prep a home for sale/staging. When people see her home, it's pretty showroom worthy and no buyer would ever guess that 9 kids live there.

When people get to the point where they want to sell their home, a lot of stuff is typically gotten rid of or in storage.

Please what is the name of this book?

Please what is the name of this book?

The author is Marie Kondo - here is a link with some info:

tidyingup.com/

Archived