IGNORED

Erika Shupe *fake smile* Large Families on Purpose *cringe*

happy atheist

There was a photo on the FB page recently about Happy needing a bath and hiding on the kitchen counter. There was also that video a while ago where they were bathing him in the kitchen sink because he wasn't properly cleaned up after toileting. Anyone else think that washing a dog, especially it's dirty ass, in a kitchen sink is really, really unhygienic?

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I adore my dog. I'd rather spend time with him that most people I know. He sleeps in my bed and I don't think a thing of it. BUT, when I saw that dog sitting his furry little dog butt on that counter I almost gagged.

Are you serious?? You are sitting your dog's butt where you prepare your food???? :oops: Nope, nope, nope, nope, nope.

I'm sure Karen the Kitchen Slave sanitized the counters and sink afterward, per Erika's orders request.

So, there's something about the LFOP facebook page that irritates me. Anyone else? When Erika posts articles and then captions it with "Mmmmmm." I don't know why it irks me so much, but it does.

People also thought he was a cookie jar. Jesus, are people that blind? Or are there lots of Shih-Tzu-shaped cookie jars in America??

At least he seems to have lasted longer than Mocha and Muffin combined. If that baby had come to term Happy could've gone too.

To my estimation Mocha and Muffin are well rid of her and it's too bad Happy wasn't so lucky. I could see Erika doing a fair amount of swatting and kennel time. Like LOTS of kennel time. :(

To my estimation Mocha and Muffin are well rid of her and it's too bad Happy wasn't so lucky. I could see Erika doing a fair amount of swatting and kennel time. Like LOTS of kennel time. :(

Anyone think the dog gets ONE kibble as a reward for good behavior?

(actually I don't think there's anything wrong with that although my reasons and hers are probably quite different)

There was a photo on the FB page recently about Happy needing a bath and hiding on the kitchen counter. There was also that video a while ago where they were bathing him in the kitchen sink because he wasn't properly cleaned up after toileting. Anyone else think that washing a dog, especially it's dirty ass, in a kitchen sink is really, really unhygienic?

In that picture, one of her readers asked what kind of dog Happy was. Erika responded that he is "Pure-bred Shih-Tzu. *beam*" Methinks Erika is making an idol out of her dog's pedigree. Tsk, tsk....

Anyone think the dog gets ONE kibble as a reward for good behavior?

(actually I don't think there's anything wrong with that although my reasons and hers are probably quite different)

Only after he earns the required number of stickers. And you can be sure he doesn't get to pick the flavor.

Pff, I know an awful lot of people who bathe small dogs in the kitchen sink. You just bleach it down afterwards, it's not that big of a deal. I'd rather have a clean dog and clean the sink properly afterwards than a stanky dog with poop on it's butt on my furniture.

People bathe babies in the kitchen sink. Lots of people wash their birds in the sink too. Although you also have to be a little weird to keep a bird in the house too.

Eh, fair enough about the dog-bathing-in-sink thing. I'm more concerned by the fact that two people thought he was a cookie jar.

Eh, fair enough about the dog-bathing-in-sink thing. I'm more concerned by the fact that two people thought he was a cookie jar.

After a quick check with Google images...I got nothing. I have no idea why not one, but rather two people thought he was a cookie jar.

post-8463-1445200065025_thumb.jpg

After a quick check with Google images...I got nothing. I have no idea why not one, but rather two people thought he was a cookie jar.

That looks kinda creepy. A cookie jar is not something Erika would have, since they have the ebil SUGAR in and sugar is baaaaaddddd y'all. (I know, I know, it actually is, but Erika's kids barely get any sugar AT ALL. Moderation is key, guys.)

:text-imnewhere:

Happy is a small dog *smile*(and he DAMN WELL better stay that way if he knows whats good for him)*wink**beam*. He'd be lost in the tub. My mom had shih-tzu's, and she would bathe them in the kitchen sink, and just clean and disinfect the sink and counter afterwards. She only did it every 4-6 weeks or so, iirc. I feel bad for Karen if Erika makes her bathe the dog and disinfect the kitchen every time Happy poops. If? *chuckle* Who am I kidding...

Hi everyone, I'm new here, sort of. I've been lurking since the yuku board days (Emily and Dna were my gateway fundies). I'm not really a joiner, but it's kind of nice to participate, finally.

I was grossed out by the dog being bathed in the sink. I am grossed out by pets in general. It's surprising to me that Erika would allow a dog.

It's pretty common for people with toy dogs, I think. When I was in charge of dog baths, I used the kitchen sink because I can't bend over the tub.

I know lots of toy dog breeders/owners and if they don't have a separate dog skin, the kitchen sink is a common bath spot.

I always put towels on my counter because I was worried about the dog slipping, but it's easy enough to bleach your counter and sink. /shrug

I wouldn't try to bathe a german shepherd in my sink or put them on my counter. We are talking 5-7 pound dogs here.

I know people that bathe their human babies in the kitchen sink. I don't think that is any worse, personally.

Fair enough about the dog-bathing-in-sink. I just never really thought about it, seeing as my dog is not a small toy dog, the only time we bathed him it was in the bathtub!

Bathing dogs is weird. We have our dog since eight years or something like that and she never saw the bathtub from the inside. That would traumatize her. She is a rescue dog from Turkey and has some traumatic experience and also lost a leg along the way. Touch her paws and she gets something like a panic attack (she won't bite, but is afraid). It has gotten much better but still I wouldn't dare to hurt her by bathing. Which is totally unnecessary in my opinion. (Obviously if your dogs ends up in some dead animal or completely covered with mud that might be different. Our "princess" as I call her avoids situations like that...)

Bathing dogs is weird. We have our dog since eight years or something like that and she never saw the bathtub from the inside. That would traumatize her. She is a rescue dog from Turkey and has some traumatic experience and also lost a leg along the way. Touch her paws and she gets something like a panic attack (she won't bite, but is afraid). It has gotten much better but still I wouldn't dare to hurt her by bathing. Which is totally unnecessary in my opinion. (Obviously if your dogs ends up in some dead animal or completely covered with mud that might be different. Our "princess" as I call her avoids situations like that...)

Your dog must be an outside dog, or else the smell of "dog" is something you've grown accustomed to. I agree dogs don't need frequent bathing, but they need BATHING at some point (a few times a year). A dog like Erika's also needs to be groomed, which typically includes a bath.

You've had your dog 8 years and have never bathed her? Do you only shower if you've ended up covered in mud or dead animal? That was a real wtf statement. Bathing might even feel soothing to her. Yknow, get 8 years of dirt off and whatnot.

It depends on the dog, really. When we were training our Papillon as a service dog and he was going out in public a lot, he was bathed every week/2 weeks depending on where we were going or what not.

Now we bathe about once a month unless someone gets particularly filthy. We have one chihuahua that we call "River Monster" because she loves to go out and wallow around under trees and in leaves and dig around and just get dirty, particularly after it's rained. She can come in just covered in mud/dirt. So she might get a bath more often than the others.

We (and by we I mean my husband ;)) give some "butt baths" in between full baths if someone has a bit of a poopy butt, but doesn't need a whole bath. I think this is pretty normal in the toy dog circles from my experience over the last almost 20 years in various toy breeds.

If you bathe too often if destroys the dogs natural oils and their coats can get dried out and rough. Every 2 weeks is usually plenty.

Show people will bathe more often, but they have a much more in depth fur care routine than the average pet owner usually to keep the fur from drying out etc.

You've had your dog 8 years and have never bathed her? Do you only shower if you've ended up covered in mud or dead animal? That was a real wtf statement. Bathing might even feel soothing to her. Yknow, get 8 years of dirt off and whatnot.

Whoa, that's a lot of judgmentalism and anger coming out there. Do you not recognize that aside from human differences in culture and expectations, there are many differences in dogs' attributes? My dog got bathed only a handful of times in her 12 years, mostly when boarding. When she rolled in something or even when she got skunked once, I wiped her down with stuff in a squirt bottle and a cloth. When it was really really hot, I hosed her down but she hated it so I only did it when it seemed like it was too hot to be healthy/safe. Of course she had the kind of slick shiny fur that seemed to repel dirt on its own. Other dogs actually get greasy/grungy and seem to need a bath in the traditional sense with soap. Mine did not. Are you aware that dogs do not sweat? (they pant instead) That just seemed like an over-the-top judgy and hostile response just because someone gave an answer you didn't expect or agree with.

Whoa, that's a lot of judgmentalism and anger coming out there. Do you not recognize that aside from human differences in culture and expectations, there are many differences in dogs' attributes? My dog got bathed only a handful of times in her 12 years, mostly when boarding. When she rolled in something or even when she got skunked once, I wiped her down with stuff in a squirt bottle and a cloth. When it was really really hot, I hosed her down but she hated it so I only did it when it seemed like it was too hot to be healthy/safe. Of course she had the kind of slick shiny fur that seemed to repel dirt on its own. Other dogs actually get greasy/grungy and seem to need a bath in the traditional sense with soap. Mine did not. Are you aware that dogs do not sweat? (they pant instead) That just seemed like an over-the-top judgy and hostile response just because someone gave an answer you didn't expect or agree with.

I'm inclined to agree. If a dog has a panic attack just because someone touches their paw, especially after that person has had the dog for 8 years, bathing is NOT going to be easy.

Thank you! Our vet (who is also the main vet for our official local shelter) approves not bathing dogs by the way! He said normally it is not necessary. Depends like I said on the situation and dog.

She is an indoor dog (outdoor extremely uncommon here). She also has that special fur. You go with her for a walk and she has dirt stains on her fur. Half an hour later (after she is done cleaning herself) you can't see any mud. We do clean the floor daily because some dry mud obviously falls off. Sometimes we joke that she is like a cat because of her hygiene. (Do people bath cats as well? I mean they walk around outside as well and come inside after that... 8-) )

@mango_fandango

We tried everything, had many different trainers and even therapists. She is a little lamb inside the house. You can do almost everything with her. Put funny things on her head or other stuff like that but her feet are difficult. I can hold her paw now, that was not possible when we got her. :)

She is a special dog because I got her when I was at my lowest point and she was the reason to live for me. But enough OT. I just found it weird that people bath their dog so often. Maybe it is a German thing? Most people I know with dogs (a lot because we attend a dog sports club) don't bath their dogs. Or only if they are really really dirty and covered with things that are nasty.

The latest installment of Erika's blog is titled "Professional Parents - Yes! Pt. 1 of 2."

(largefamiliesonpurpose.com/2013/01/professional-parents-yes-part-1-of-2.html#more)

In it, she lists 7 points about how parenting is like a profession. Now, I disagree with SO much of what Erika does and how she thinks, but as a I read this, I found myself accepting some of what she was saying for the most part. I do think it's important to value your kids if you're going to have them, and if you choose to educate them at home, then take it seriously, and so on. (That said, I still dislike a lot of things I read there, like how she confines squiggly children and restricts their activities, over-schedules, limits her daughters' fiction reading, etc.)

Anyway, at the end, she had this to say:

Here are two quotes I'd like to leave you with. They're about motherhood, and I loved them so much when I first read them that I printed them and framed them for our home as a reminder to myself and our daughters.

The first of those two quotes is by none other than Doug Phillips (is a tool).

"...Motherhood requires vision...one of the reasons why Motherhood is both the most biblically (sic) noble, and the most socially unappreciated role to which a young woman can aspire. There are many people who ask the question: Does my life matter? But a mother that fears the Lord need never ask such a question. Upon her faithful obedience hinges the future of the church and the hope of the nation." ~ Doug Phillips, former President of Vision Forum

Just ewwww. Now, this is a recycled post from January 2013, and wasn't Tool O'Ween in October later that same year? So he hadn't fallen from grace yet. But, if she read her post carefully in 2015 before reposting, and realized that she was still touting anything by him, do you think she'd switch quotes? Do you think she removed that one from the wall where her daughters can see it every day? Do you think her daughters even know what happened?

Obedience...yes, that often works out so well for the wives. :roll:

Archived