IGNORED

Erika Shupe *fake smile* Large Families on Purpose *cringe*

happy atheist

I don't think the cereal necklace idea is that crazy -- candy necklaces, either pre-bought or as an activity, were a big thing at birthday parties when I was a kid.

Yes. For 7th birthdays - not 17th.

• Replies 899
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It must be weird to have such an age range in your family that even though you are almost an adult, your siblings are kindergartners. So you have to find activities that everyone can do together. Sounds boring and like life never changes. You just keep doing little kid activities because there keeps being little kids. The family doesn't grow up as a whole.

It must be weird to have such an age range in your family that even though you are almost an adult, your siblings are kindergartners. So you have to find activities that everyone can do together. Sounds boring and like life never changes. You just keep doing little kid activities because there keeps being little kids. The family doesn't grow up as a whole.

I grew up with significantly younger sibs (I was 7 years older than the next, then 10 and 14 years). My parents would definitely cater to the youngin's, but my parents didn't do that I MY birthday. In fact they never really expected me to participate in the kiddie activities at all - by the time I was a teen I had my own after school activities that kept me plenty busy.

I do wonder if Karen really wanted this though - it's one of a few times in her life she gets to have junk food.

I guess I just kinda figured this was an activity she did as something fun for the younger children to do during Katen's day and the teens joined in for fun because, hey, cereal on a string. I can totally see my oldest and her friends doing that. I can't imagine this was designed as an activity specifically for Karen.

I found out recently that you can buy just the marshmallows! Just do a search for "cereal marshmallows". For the bulk shoppers, Amazon has a 40 lb box of them for $178.34. :shock:

www.amazon.com/Dehydrated-Marshmallows- ... rshmallows

The reviews are almost as funny as the ones for that 55 gallon barrel of lube they sell.

Thanks to you I found these. I think I am going to buy the small $10 bag for my brother...and maybe one for me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

My parents had 4 kids.... and there is a 12 year spread between my youngest sister and myself. I started college the day she started kindergarten. But all of us had our own individual activities and same age peer groups/friends and while I had a cake and gifts from the family when I turned 17, I also spent time with my friends doing teen aged things-- a younger sibling would have been either sent to entertain themselves with their own toys or would have had to put up with whatever teen aged entertainment was provided. IF I was helping with a kid party, which I did from time to time, the entertainment was geared to whatever age was being celebrated. It wasn't even hard.

I would refer to my two youngest siblings as "the kids" when talking to my mom because we sometimes coordinated who would pick them up (since I could drive) or take them to events, but that was part of being in a family that was very involved in many activities-- I was no sister mom.... but we also did family stuff as a sibling group-- bike rides, gardening stuff, I'd take them to town to the swimming pool, etc. I never felt like my life was more childlike because of the younger siblings-- if anything, they probably went to more adult functions earlier. But then, my parents weren't trying to infantilize any of us... they expected us to get up and out into the world.

I guess I just kinda figured this was an activity she did as something fun for the younger children to do during Katen's day and the teens joined in for fun because, hey, cereal on a string. I can totally see my oldest and her friends doing that. I can't imagine this was designed as an activity specifically for Karen.

If that's the case, why is the alum nothing but cereal on string?

I grew up with significantly younger sibs (I was 7 years older than the next, then 10 and 14 years). My parents would definitely cater to the youngin's, but my parents didn't do that I MY birthday. In fact they never really expected me to participate in the kiddie activities at all - by the time I was a teen I had my own after school activities that kept me plenty busy.

I do wonder if Karen really wanted this though - it's one of a few times in her life she gets to have junk food.

If I were Karen and desperate for junk food, I think I would have asked for an ice cream sundae bar. Age appropriate, junky, and delicious.

Erika is asking about 'triple bunks' on Facebook. Can Cosco shelves be far behind?

I've seen some triple bunks that were really cool looking. Knowing Erika, though, they would be just like shelves.

apartmenttherapy.com/threes-company-rooms-for-3-or-more-kids-roundup-168680

#2 is my particular favorite.

I've seen some triple bunks that were really cool looking. Knowing Erika, though, they would be just like shelves.

apartmenttherapy.com/threes-company-rooms-for-3-or-more-kids-roundup-168680

#2 is my particular favorite.

Well they have to be just shelves. She literally does not have the floorspace to set up any of the cooler options. Poor kids.

If I were Karen and desperate for junk food, I think I would have asked for an ice cream sundae bar. Age appropriate, junky, and delicious.

God didn't give Erica a vision for that!

Man. Dissed and denied by Erika. I live close-ish to her, and I left a comment on her blog about a month ago asking if she'd ever be willing to have a blog reader visit? She responded and said "Can you tell me a bit about yourself?" Understandable. So I emailed her, and told her some things (homeschooler, conservative, four kids, admire her organizational skills...... non-religious.)

She didn't respond for probably a week, and then when I left a subtle little reminder comment, she emailed to say she'd been so busy that "she and Bob" hadn't even had a chance to read my email, but they would, soon!

Two weeks later, another email, saying something had come up that was absorbing all their time, but she hadn't forgotten! And she'd send a photo soon.

Then today, "I’m sorry – please believe that this has nothing whatever to do with you personally or the information you so graciously sent in your email – we just have so much going on in life right now I can’t entertain even the idea of being able to have you over. =/ But I would sure love to share with you great resources to help you with any organizational situations or needs or “thinking outside the box†types of needs. =) "

It was kind of bizarre, the subject line of my first email was "A Reader From Edmonds", and when she replied that first time, the subject line said the same. But the last two subject lines from her said: "Re: HONEY- a reader from Edmonds". At first I thought she had actually mistaken my name for Honey, but she called me by name in the emails, so I don't know what that was all about. And I never got my photo!

My guess is she has sent your email to Bob-o for his approval (hence the HONEY) and the non-religious bit is what got you black balled.

My guess is she has sent your email to Bob-o for his approval (hence the HONEY) and the non-religious bit is what got you black balled.

Yes, you're probably right about the Honey. I didn't even think of that.

And I'm pretty sure also that it was the non-religious part. I said I was a non-religious person, but I'm married to a Christian and I respect and love a lot of Christian people. I was almost wondering if they'd look at me as a missions project. Guess not.

Erika doesn't seem to be the type to take on a "mission project" to me. She seems like the kind of woman to give an awkward pat on the hand, a fake toothy smile, and say "I'll pray for you" in a condescending voice.

About the triple bunks... I swear Erika mentioned them a while ago and then said something about them not being the best solution. If you look at the replies on that post, where people have been postin pictures, Erika's been asking how high people's ceilings are. The kids' cells do have quite low ceilings.

Also... anyone else seen the picture of the kids for the upcoming school year?? Karen and Melanie are really pretty. They're gonna be a real catch when/if Erika lets them court.

About the triple bunks... I swear Erika mentioned them a while ago and then said something about them not being the best solution. If you look at the replies on that post, where people have been postin pictures, Erika's been asking how high people's ceilings are. The kids' cells do have quite low ceilings.

Also... anyone else seen the picture of the kids for the upcoming school year?? Karen and Melanie are really pretty. They're gonna be a real catch when/if Erika lets them court.

They are pretty but what man wants to be saddled with a mother in law like Erika?

Yes, you're probably right about the Honey. I didn't even think of that.

And I'm pretty sure also that it was the non-religious part. I said I was a non-religious person, but I'm married to a Christian and I respect and love a lot of Christian people. I was almost wondering if they'd look at me as a missions project. Guess not.

With the way that HONEY is in all caps it make it sound panicked. Like, "HONEY OH GOD CRAZY STALKER WANTS TO MEET US."

I bet that if you met under more organic circumstances she might be willing to be friends. But if she had you over as a non religious person , they're probably paranoid you'd see the way her kids are treated and not understand because you don't believe.

Everyone is always out to persecute them, dontcha know?

Hmm. I vote any other FJites that live near her lie and say they're Comservative Christian but not homeschooling. I wonder if she'd meet them then or still be suspicious.

They're both really beautiful imo. Hopefully they both get to go to some kind of college to earn those credentials they both want. Perhaps they could meet someone there who can stand up to Erika and Bob. From tidbits I've read here and elsewhere, it sounds like Karen is over the well-organized circus. She seems like the type to bolt as soon as she realizes she can.

Hmmm. Looks like Erika deleted the foot photo in the bday album. Maybe she was getting concerned/awkward comments and just decided to delete the photo...

slightly o/t ... why is she always about *getting* her family organized? ... wait. my bad. her family is already perfectly organized already and she's just telling us plebians how to do it.

talk about OCD

slightly o/t ... why is she always about *getting* her family organized? ... wait. my bad. her family is already perfectly organized already and she's just telling us plebians how to do it.

talk about OCD

I think it's because Erika was unfortunate enough to give birth to actual children instead of an army of already-trained miniature soldiers for God. Children aren't the most organized creatures on earth, so Erika is constantly having to train and organize *wink* her brood.

Or maybe because things in Shupe-world aren't as great as she likes to pretend- as evidenced by Melanie's card.

Couple things: firstly, Frosted Flakes without milk is the bomb.

Secondly, I come from a family where I'm the oldest, and my youngest brother is 21 years younger (there's 5 of us in total). Since mine is the only birthday in the summer, that was always family day. On my 20th birthday we went to a kid's movie and to the zoo. So, yeah. I can sympathize (and yes, I'm still not over it :lol:).

Finally, I cannot stand reading this blog with all the *grins* and *smiles* because it makes me want to *punch something*.

Couple things: firstly, Frosted Flakes without milk is the bomb.

Secondly, I come from a family where I'm the oldest, and my youngest brother is 21 years younger (there's 5 of us in total). Since mine is the only birthday in the summer, that was always family day. On my 20th birthday we went to a kid's movie and to the zoo. So, yeah. I can sympathize (and yes, I'm still not over it :lol:).

Finally, I cannot stand reading this blog with all the *grins* and *smiles* because it makes me want to *punch something*.

Just had to LOL at all of this - thanks for the Sunday morning laugh Growelly!

As the youngest child in my family I'm starting to feel a tad guilty about all the activities in my childhood that I now realise were oriented around me and where my oldest sibs must have been bored to tears....

But then again, I'm fabulous and they were amazingly lucky to be allowed spend the time with me, so they can suck it up!! (Spot the youngest child syndrome :D :D )

Archived