IGNORED

Duggars By the Dozen - General Discussion - Lucky 13

happy atheist

Hmm. I think, if I remember correctly, that our modern interpretation of Hell actually comes from Dante's, "The Inferno." I like to think of it as the 1300's epic poem version of a Taylor Swift revenge song. :lol:

As for student loans - I would think that they would need a cosigner if they wanted to take out a loan in their own name because they likely have no credit history. I could be wrong about that though.

If they attended an in-state community college and were able to live with someone for free then it might be possible. I actually looked up one of the community colleges around their area a while back to see about tuition costs and everything. . . I'm too tired and lazy to try and figure it out again though.

Here's a link to NWACC, located in Bentonville. It lists estimates for cost of attendance for a school year:

nwacc.edu/web/lss_fa/cost_of_attendance

If one of the kids lived at home with their parents and were given the ok to attend CC, it could cost roughly $6,532.00 a school year if they live in the Bentonville/Rogers school district - students outside that district living with their parents pay about $7,600.00. Not too bad. If their parents kick them out though, it could cost far more than that - the website estimate is about $18,000.00 for in-district and $19,150.00 for out-of-district. And if they're not given access to any money they may have earned and they aren't able to access Financial Aid for some reason, that could make it extremely difficult for them to attempt to earn an education.

They could apply for the Work Study program, but whether or not you are accepted into that program depends on your Financial Aid. If they aren't able to get Financial Aid for some reason they'd probably be denied Work Study. Scholarships and Grants are possibilities, but no guarantees.

The Duggar in question could get a job and try to pay for classes as they go. I'm not sure they'd be hired at a job that would pay a livable wage though, so just surviving could be difficult.

There are a lot of factors that could lower or heighten those estimated prices though. The website below talks more about cost of tuition and applicable fees. It appears one credit hour is about $75.00 for people who live in the Bentonville/Rogers district.

nwacc.edu/web/treasurer/tuition_fees

For any Duggar child, I would think Community College would be an excellent first step. Once they have a better grasp on budgeting, living on their own, and attending a real school they could either complete their Associate's degree/Certificate program and/or they could transfer to a 4-year public University to pursue a Bachelor's. Getting approved for Financial Aid might be easier for them at that point because they'd likely have some sort of credit history, some work experience, and educational experience as well.

Federal loans require no cosigner or credit history. You can borrow usually up to $10,000 per year for up to $65,000 for a bachelors degree through the schools financial aid department.

For any Fundies reading, use this information to your advantage.

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Potential for a Duggar sighting out in the world (feel free to move this if this is the wrong place):

Sam's Furniture is sponsoring a bull riding event in Springdale later in August. Considering the older Duggar kids went to the Ozarks rodeo earlier this summer, and the family is pretty close to the owners of Sam's Furniture, I'd be willing to guess at least the older Duggar kids will be there too.

Heres the link to the event:

rodeosusa.com/rodeos/sams-furniture-buckin-in-the-ozarks-pbr

Watch Mojo which is a VERY popular youtube channel in the US and Canada did a list of most Dysfunctional celebrity families guess who made pretty high up on the list

not breaking because youtube

Once upon a time I had students who were making their own way through college and not receiving any money from their families. (Well, maybe they got the occasional gift of cash, I don't know.) A lot of them had "work-study" jobs on campus. I also seem to remember that many years before that a friend couldn't get a student loan because her parents were using her as a deduction, even though she was supporting herself and not living at home. But that was years ago. How difficult would it be for one of the Duggar children to support him or herself while attending an actual, accredited 4 year college or university? Would that be possible?

I imagine Jim Bob is using all the kids he can as deductions, but . . . once they're married, he can't use them as deductions, right? Could one of his married children (or their spouses) get student loans and/or work study jobs and break outta Springdale?

I know, I know. That would involve getting a loan!!! I know that's against Jim Bob's rules, but frankly, there is such a thing as getting a loan AND PAYING IT AND THE INTEREST BACK and still being seen as a good, religious American. If God damns people to Hell for that, BOY is Heaven going to be empty. Getting loans is how most Americans live, and they do so honorably.

(Just as a side question, does the Bible actually even mention Hell? As far as I can remember from my Religious Studies classes, it was sort of tacked on, probably by people who wanted to keep their children terrified and wanted some excuse to look down on neighbors they didn't approve of.)

I also had a friend who was working part time as a live-in nanny in trade for room, board, and maybe some cash. That's another way people used to fund college. You couId find advertisements from hopeful parents in the want ads of the student paper. Ahem.

I paid off my student loans a long time ago. I don't know how independent students fund their studies any more. I'm asking in case someone out there DOES know and wants to explain IN CASE THERE ARE SOME FUNDIES READING THIS THREAD WHO WANT TO GO TO COLLEGE IN ORDER TO SUPPORT THEMSELVES LATER IN LIFE. Hint hint.

These days it's near impossible to completely work @ min wage and pay for college. And if you can't get your parent to co-sign for a private student loan then you are pretty screwed when it comes to higher education. In the Duggar kid case I can see Boob & Michelle refuse to co-sign. I know school in their area is slightly cheaper compare the Great Lakes region but it would still be near impossible to pay for cc in this area on min wage with working 40 hrs week.

Federal loans require no cosigner or credit history. You can borrow usually up to $10,000 per year for up to $65,000 for a bachelors degree through the schools financial aid department.

For any Fundies reading, use this information to your advantage.

You'd think I'd remember this, considering I graduated with about $21,000 in Federal student loans.

Obviously, I'm getting old and becoming senile. If I start ranting and raving about attending ALERT or taking part in one of Doug Phillips' (is a Tool) manly escapades to the Amazon, we'll know why. :lol:

That said, if the kid in question is being claimed as a Dependent of their parents' then they may need to declare their parents' income in order to try and qualify for Federal Loans - if the parents don't want to help by providing that information they don't have to. If they aren't a Dependent of their parents it could be easier for them - they would likely need some sort of income in order to qualify though. So for a married Duggar child, it could be easy because they have some way of earning a living at that point - an unmarried Duggar child (especially a daughter since they aren't encouraged to do work that isn't centered on raising their siblings) it could be more difficult if they choose to stay with their parents.

I don't recall having a co-signer or having to show an income for my post-grad federal educational loans. Of course, that was back in the days of yore and could have changed. But I never listed my parents income, never had co-signers and was not able to work while in school. (Private loans are another story. Banks required a co-signer with income before giving even a tiny amount of money to my broke ass.)

I think a bigger obstacle for a J'Kid trying to get a higher education is getting into an accredited higher education institution in the first place. There's remedial and then there's dealing with someone whose concept of science includes humans living with dinosaurs. Not to mention whatever gaps there are in the "3 R's" portion of their education. Their even slightly higher math skills are likely severely lacking and I suspect their reading comprehension is basically shit. How would these kids even begin to place on an SAT or ACT?

The years it would take to get them up to speed, into a credited institution and with something resembling a solid enough educational background so that they would succeed in a higher education so as not to make taking on student loans a waste of money that will forever drown them in debt is probably more work than most of the single older "kids" are able to put in, much less the married with kids ones. College is probably out for most of these kids, even with the funds to do so, unless they start attending a real school or getting a real education from somewhere.

I'm not as familiar with the requirements for admission into trade schools, and I am sure it varies, but even then, a basic understanding of math, reading comprehension and, just, knowledge of how the world works are necessary to succeed there, too. Not to mention work ethic, which none of them know anything about thanks to their parents.

As long as the status quo continues - selective social isolation, no education, the only way out is to get married and that leads to babies within a year - these kids are all kinds of fucked.

I am currently at a 4 year school and I am putting myself through college. I have had part time jobs and going to class full time my entire college career so far (I'll be a senior this fall) and I have not needed anyone to sign anything. I apply for FAFSA every spring. Since nobody claims me as their dependent, all they look at is my income which is nowhere near enough for anything. I get the Pell grant and a state grant every semester. Thanks to my good grades I have also received scholarships here and there. If anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer them. :)

My son in law is currently in a nursing program through a community college. He qualifies for Pell grant and it covers pretty close to everything. He did say something about having to claim your parents' income on your FASFA until you are 25 regardless if you live at home or not. Because of this, his brother didn't qualify for anything free whereas my son in law has basically had a free ride.

I just want to mention that I am not sure what areas other posters are from but in our state, we are so many areas where public schooled young people are graduating not prepared very well at all.

I went back to school at 42 years old. I started at a community college and my shock at the level of work these 18-20 year old were doing was mind boggling. It was work I wouldnt accept from my 6th grader. I talked to many instructors because peer review sessions were a nightmare. The English instructors said their hands were tied because they were not allowed to teach basic grammar rules but yet 75% of the class needed them. One instructor had it and gave a test on pronoun use so she knew where to start helping the class. There were only a handful of us that passed it and we were the old students.

I know this is a hot button topic but the public school system is a mess. The Duggars may not be worse off than many of young people I have had in my classes.

My son in law is currently in a nursing program through a community college. He qualifies for Pell grant and it covers pretty close to everything. He did say something about having to claim your parents' income on your FASFA until you are 25 regardless if you live at home or not. Because of this, his brother didn't qualify for anything free whereas my son in law has basically had a free ride.

I just want to mention that I am not sure what areas other posters are from but in our state, we are so many areas where public schooled young people are graduating not prepared very well at all.

I went back to school at 42 years old. I started at a community college and my shock at the level of work these 18-20 year old were doing was mind boggling. It was work I wouldnt accept from my 6th grader. I talked to many instructors because peer review sessions were a nightmare. The English instructors said their hands were tied because they were not allowed to teach basic grammar rules but yet 75% of the class needed them. One instructor had it and gave a test on pronoun use so she knew where to start helping the class. There were only a handful of us that passed it and we were the old students.

I know this is a hot button topic but the public school system is a mess. The Duggars may not be worse off than many of young people I have had in my classes.

that's really interesting. it did not apply to me! I wonder if it is state specific?

(ETA: I was also not living at home anymore. Wonder if that matters? Also when I fill out the FAFSA application every year it gives me the option to fill out information about my parents but it's not mandatory. I attach my tax return and I guess they get most my info from that in terms of verifying my financial need.

that's really interesting. it did not apply to me! I wonder if it is state specific?

(ETA: I was also not living at home anymore. Wonder if that matters?

dang that makes me thankful I went to a college prep school, only got d's in math/chemistry and the rest were A-B graduating middle of the pack with honors. I was .2 off of making the lowest cumlaude in college and finished with Honors in my degree program. I guess I'm just a nerd :embarrassed:

I guess that leads me to other thoughts that aren't very profound, but bug me. Okay, now the TLC bandwagon has rolled away, they're not going to get anything like significant donations to "Duggar Studios," and the boys don't seem to have any thoughts about how to pay their own way in the world. Is there evidence that Jim Bob has been a good patriarch and is now suddenly going to be able to work for a living? I don't get the feeling he's wiling to buy houses and do work to remodel and flip them; that would be too much like work! Josh has said he knows he doesn't want to do construction. He's probably unemployable. What's the game plan? Who's going to start working in earnest?

I think that's where all the 'Donate' buttons come in. Even Jill has a 'Donate' button for her missions trip.

Someone wrote about it here http://radaronline.com/celebrity-news/duggar-teeshirt-fundraiser-discount-lowers-price/

I know that JB and Josh started that credit card processing business and are funneling money off the donations that the Dillards receive.

-

Hmmmm... This is new to me. What information does anyone have about this? This is interesting. I said way back that they were funneling money around like the mafia through these businesses and corporations. Maybe we can figure out what is really going on :dance:

JB has not held a work -outside -the- home job other than TLC, in a very, long time. I'm not sure he is employable in the everyday work world. I know that JB and Josh started that credit card processing business and are funneling money off the donations that the Dillards receive.

Other than that, I assume that the rental business and working his investments to make additional money will keep JB busy.

JB is set. He has no mortgage, many properties and other income earning assets. He is 50 yos old, his family is most likely complete and he has first rights to the wealth.

It's the kids, particularly Josh and Jessa, who are really hosed.

I just wonder how long all those other adult kids can sit around doing nothing on JB's dime? Are the Duggars going to turn into the Maxwells?

Like someone said, teenage boys can EAT, and it seems the middle boys did not grow up in the lean, meals consisting only of rice years. I also wonder if rebellion is right around the corner for the howlers and younger girls when the lifestyle needs to take such a drastic turn.

Even Chuckie Cheese and the Trampoline place have to be rare treats when your family numbers 20+-

I don't think that feeding the kids is that much of an issue. JB has like 6 or 7 vehicles, investments, donations. I'm sure they would garden all that land and become vegetarians if that was an issue. Beans, rice, veggies. Many people love them! :shifty: I'm sure that's what many of the other fundies resort too that don't have the riches of the Duggars. Plant some fruit trees, raspberry bushes. Naw they're not hurting

I don't think that feeding the kids is that much of an issue. JB has like 6 or 7 vehicles, investments, donations. I'm sure they would garden all that land and become vegetarians if that was an issue. Beans, rice, veggies. Many people love them! :shifty: I'm sure that's what many of the other fundies resort too that don't have the riches of the Duggars. Plant some fruit trees, raspberry bushes. Naw they're not hurting

You can do a search in the search engine for all the LLC under JB's (and other Duggars') names.

In terms of the gardening, fruit trees blah, blah...all been tried before and failed as shown on the show. You can also search for those episodes on the web.

They even thought they might start a working farm, until they worked a morning shift on a farm.

You speak of other fundies, these folks are not other fundies. They are lazy and entitled. Most seem to lack any initiative or work ethic. I think JB has spent the majority of his life working to find a way not to have to work to support his family. Even when he is was in government, he only showed up to vote on abortion related bills (you can search for that info too). The kids lack effort because they have never seen their parents work hard.The Duggar way has always been the easiest, laziest way.

Michelle get's help with laundry from piano teacher. Now that she lost 2 J slaves life is rough.

http://radaronline.com/celebrity-news/m ... e-scandal/

I don't generally stand up for the Duggars, but that's a ridiculous article. The post is not recent, it was written "some time ago." It's been told on the show at some point . . . .

Not Michelle's current reality at all.

I have no life, so I checked the Duggar FB page for laughs.

1. A coloring contest as a way to connect with their kids--except, they're not in the picture coloring. AND, why don't the adults (i.e. Jana) at least get to use one of the cool adult coloring books out AND who are those extra kids around the table?

2. Jess and the teenager's newest video in which they don't tell us the sex of the baby (because we really don't care anyway), but do direct us to their website in the sad believe that they are still relevent. Speculation: will they charge to guess the baby gender?

CL0YpxWVAAEQhy_.jpg

Appolgies if this has been posted already but it's been all over my facebook feed today, from people who aren't as aware of the clown car vagina[tm][/tm] as we are here.

(hoping I got the inserting the image right)

I have no life, so I checked the Duggar FB page for laughs.

1. A coloring contest as a way to connect with their kids--except, they're not in the picture coloring. AND, why don't the adults (i.e. Jana) at least get to use one of the cool adult coloring books out AND who are those extra kids around the table?

2. Jess and the teenager's newest video in which they don't tell us the sex of the baby (because we really don't care anyway), but do direct us to their website in the sad believe that they are still relevent. Speculation: will they charge to guess the baby gender?

If they could they probably would

CL0YpxWVAAEQhy_.jpg

Appolgies if this has been posted already but it's been all over my facebook feed today, from people who aren't as aware of the clown car vagina[tm][/tm] as we are here.

(hoping I got the inserting the image right)

Haha reminds me of when that photo (minus the black and white and straight outta condoms) made the rounds on twitter with "pull out game atrocious"

Good Day Everyone,

I'm a TWOP refugee from a LONG time ago, first time poster here. Anyway, I saw this article regarding closely timed pregnancy and osteoporosis and thought to post it here. I didn't think it warranted a new topic, if mods feel otherwise, please move to a new topic. Thank you.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/08/0 ... tcmp=hpbt4

Please read and discuss. If what the study says is accurate, she wouldn't have any bones left at this point.

You can do a search in the search engine for all the LLC under JB's (and other Duggars') names.

In terms of the gardening, fruit trees blah, blah...all been tried before and failed as shown on the show. You can also search for those episodes on the web.

They even thought they might start a working farm, until they worked a morning shift on a farm.

You speak of other fundies, these folks are not other fundies. They are lazy and entitled. Most seem to lack any initiative or work ethic. I think JB has spent the majority of his life working to find a way not to have to work to support his family. Even when he is was in government, he only showed up to vote on abortion related bills (you can search for that info too). The kids lack effort because they have never seen their parents work hard.The Duggar way has always been the easiest, laziest way.

About the farming, ect. All I'm saying is that anyone who intentionally has 19 children must know it is expensive to feed all those people. I personally, do not care how much it costs them, because it was their choice and they made it willingly.

Good Day Everyone,

I'm a TWOP refugee from a LONG time ago, first time poster here. Anyway, I saw this article regarding closely timed pregnancy and osteoporosis and thought to post it here. I didn't think it warranted a new topic, if mods feel otherwise, please move to a new topic. Thank you.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/08/0 ... tcmp=hpbt4

Please read and discuss. If what the study says is accurate, she wouldn't have any bones left at this point.

Well, who cares if she is in the process of becoming a wobbly Jello-textured boneless blob held together with Fundieundies and Fundieclothes and spouting a baby voice, provided there's a place where a boner can get in!

Actually, this is leading me to wonder what exactly will happen if Jim Bob becomes a candidate for Viagra: will they hold a funeral for the family's most important, er, member?

(Off to wash out my mind with soap)

:brain-bleach:

Well, who cares if she is in the process of becoming a wobbly Jello-textured boneless blob held together with Fundieundies and Fundieclothes and spouting a baby voice, provided there's a place where a boner can get in!

Actually, this is leading me to wonder what exactly will happen if Jim Bob becomes a candidate for Viagra: will they hold a funeral for the family's most important, er, member?

(Off to wash out my mind with soap)

:brain-bleach:

Archived