IGNORED

Duggars By the Dozen - General Discussion - Lucky 13

happy atheist

The trillion dollar questions, that have never been answered.

It seems to me, if the girls had been paid individually [and Josh before he was employed in DC], one of those folks would have moved away from the compound....bought or rented their own place. Josh was renting in DC, so the Duggars are obviously not anti-renting.

As much as I think quitting WM was a dumb idea on Derick's part, at least he got his family unit away from JB Duggar. I hope the Dillards continue to live far away from JB and his soul sucking, controlling ideas. Hopefully once baby Seewald is on scene, the Seewalds will do the same.

Not as long as Bin is employed as his whipping boy they won't . . .

I suppose an upside could be that JB no longer wants to pay him anything and he has to find a real job. Personally, I think he should just go off to seminary. All he does is harp on religion, might as well support his family with it.

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Usually publishers pay authors twice a year, depending on how many books have been sold in the last 6 month period. Legally those checks would be made out to the daughters, and there's no way that JB could have prevented that.

On the other hand, it might be possible for him to use emotional or religious blackmail to get his daughters to assign the profits to him. I can imagine that some parents might argue "You only got the contract because we'd had successful books," "You didn't really write it yourselves, you just talked to the ghost writer, we told them what to say too, we as good as wrote it," "We fed and kept you for all those years [and used you as live-in slaves and let you be Josh's sex toys], so you owe us big time. Honor thy father and thy mother and gimme the money."

I don't think it would be difficult for the parents to convince their daughters to assign them the proceeds. What I'm curious about is what might happen if the husbands ever wonder: "Hey, how'd that book go? Did you girls make any money off of it? You did but Jim Bob's got it?? Why? Surely he made enough from the show!" Unless the husbands have drunk the Jim Bob Kool-Aid, they might feel a bit resentful that their wives did the work and made no money.

Neither husband is Jim-Bob's child. Neither has been raised virtually to worship JB and Michelle, and their wives didn't promise to "love, honor, and obey, unless Jim Bob tells me to obey him instead." Granted that the husbands have been raised similarly, how long would it take before one of them noticed that Jim Bob's a complete buffoon? How did things go when the husbands learned that Josh abused their wives? How did they feel when they heard Jim Bob and Michelle talk to Megan Kelly? Wouldn't that cause you to rethink JB's authority entirely? Is that why Jill and hubby left so suddenly--because they, or he, just decided to get away from Jim Bob and Michelle? I think most men who love their wives would want to punch Josh and JB once they figured out what had happened; better to leave the country and distance themselves? Can Ben and Jessa sidestep the family too, when there's no show and no need to be one happy family together with the man who molested your wife and the people who didn't protect her?

I couldn't stomach watching all of the Duggar/Kelly interview at once, but now that I've seen most of it, an interesting scenario has come to mind. Suppose that JB and Michelle were in a public place, an airport for example, JB steps off to go fix his hairdo on the restroom and Michelle falls asleep waiting on a bench. JB returns to find a teenage boy leaning up behind his wife giving her some "light inappropriate touching over her modest blouse." Forgive the boy? Clearly he was defrauded by Michelle. Call the pastor and find out how to proceed? Offer the boy some construction work and tell him how he will surely ruin his life if he keeps it up? Next JB goes off to get some free cups of water, Michelle falls asleep after praying for the teenage boy while he sits beside her reading the Bible. jB comes back to discover the boy has his hand up Michelle's dress. I think you see where I'm going here. How much worse is what happened and happened AGAIN in their home? Their half assed methods of protecting those girls make me ill. Where is your parental duty to provide a safe and secure home? Can you imagine having to live in a home, interact with your molester, fall asleep where you are clearly not safe, all the while Mommy & Daddy are nurturing a perv and cranking out more little victims right in the next room? I'm preaching to the choir here, I'm sure.

It's impossible to know how much influence JB had on the book. Maybe he legitimately did stand in and put words in the writer's mouth for the girls. Maybe he's legitimately an (uncredited) co-author. Maybe he directed most of the story line, and thus has a legit claim to a significant portion of the income.

HOWEVER, there's at least one thing where the girls should be getting it all: they narrated the audiobook. At minimum, they should be getting the full payment for their voices on every copy sold. Certainly there might be ways for JB to cheat them out of that, but unlike the book itself, there is a portion of this that he absolutely cannot deny the girls did themselves.

Considering what we know about their views on "children", even the adult ones, I would not be surprised if any earnings the kidults made were put into trusts that would be available to the girls once they got married. As far as earnings the guys made, they probably have access to them at 25. That would mean JD would be the only son at home able to access that money, and he could well be using it for flying lessons/fuel. Now.... I wouldn't put it past old JB to be listed as their manager and/or consultant in any contracts they have and to be due a percentage of the profits.

In the course of a long drive today, for lack of anything better to talk about, I told Mr. Cochise about the dry-humping incident between Jim Bob and Michelle on, what was it, Ben and Jessa's first date? "Oh god," he kept saying. "Oh god." And that was before I even got to the humping. As I remember it, Jim Bob kisses Michelle and says "Does it turn you on?" "OH god," said Mr. C., horrified.

Anybody alive other than Jim Bob would be able to see that Michelle's laughing nervously but hates the whole thing, from the kissing to the humping, that Jessa is embarrassed, and that Ben is being the civilized adult male in the party, maintaining a small tight teeth gritted smile, ignoring what's happening, and directing no attention to that humping twerp who might become his father in law. They move to Jim Bob talking about how they want the girls to know that Daddy loves Mommy . . . what I saw wasn't love. It was unwanted kissing and humping. Did Jim Bob imagine Ben was going to follow his lead and do the same to Jessa? Did Jim Bob figure that he could step in, grab Jessa, and show Ben how he should be dry humping his daughter? "That guy is WAY too involved in his daughters' romances," Mr C said.

You just know that the camera crew was thinking "Oh boy--Jim Bob GOLD! What an asshat!"

I know that Jim Bob didn't have friends in school and doesn't seem to have real friends he regards as equals, so did he never grow beyond the level of a 14 year old horndog? Did Josh ever see this unwelcome, abusive "Daddy loves Mommy" crap and think "Well, I guess that's okay if you love your sister"?

I looked at that incident and found myself wondering exactly how much Jim Bob knows about pleasing a woman sexually and unselfishly. Zip, I figure. Michelle probably tells him "Oh I just love it when it happens really fast and then it's over!"

I think that one event probably gave Ben a lot of information about Jim Bob and what a repellent twerp he is. It doesn't surprise me a bit that Jessa and Ben ran down the aisle to have their first kisses alone--or that Jim Bob freaked out about that. He's a total perv, trying to get involved in his daughters' love lives. He's pretty much all Josh had to look to when Josh wanted to figure out how to treat girls: act horny, they like it, sure their mouths may say no, no, no, but their eyes say yes, yes, yes,--or if they don't, just ignore it and proceed.

Puke.

It's impossible to know how much influence JB had on the book. Maybe he legitimately did stand in and put words in the writer's mouth for the girls. Maybe he's legitimately an (uncredited) co-author. Maybe he directed most of the story line, and thus has a legit claim to a significant portion of the income.

HOWEVER, there's at least one thing where the girls should be getting it all: they narrated the audiobook. At minimum, they should be getting the full payment for their voices on every copy sold. Certainly there might be ways for JB to cheat them out of that, but unlike the book itself, there is a portion of this that he absolutely cannot deny the girls did themselves.

Honestly, I don't think Jim Bob is intelligent enough to contribute to a book about being a girl written by girls, even if he wanted to direct things. In a book of this kind it's the editor and the publishing house that have the final say in what they're willing to print, and Jim Bob seems to have no idea what the brain or emotions of a young woman are like. He probably advised them to mention things, and if the girls followed through and the publisher liked it, that'd be fine. It would be easy to tell him that the editor looked at this or that that Jim Bob suggested and didn't feel it suited the market they were aiming for (or some such explanation).

Jim and Michelle would have been down that route twice before. If they wanted to have a chapter on something in their own books that actually made them look selfish / bad / stupid, etc., the ghost writer and editor would have said no, sorry, that doesn't go in if you want us to publish your book. The publishers are much more interested in selling books that people will enjoy reading than they are in letting authors make fools of themselves.

Is that Jilly Muffin's house?

It appears to be an older ranch style house with a section of commercial storage units as part of the property? Good find. :)

Ben and Jessa have nothing else to do. The tv show was suppose to be their job.

Question though, was Jessa really ever suppose to have a job? Because I think that JB, now that she has "proven" she can get pregnant and once she gives birth, isn't she then a 'uterus' anyway? And since they pride themselves on being so frugal, wouldn't she just be expected to have another baby and raise baby #1?

I don't know, will be interesting to see how this play's out with Bin. Because if Jim Boob pushes Bin to go out on his own and find employment, he looses his clutches on Bin to a certain degree and actually with all the boys coming up next, now with Jessa & Jill married off it will be interesting to see what Jim Boob does. If he doesn't keep control of Bin, the boys will see Bin out there trying to make it in the world (and one could say 'independent' from the Duggar standpoint), so wouldn't that encourage the boys to find their way also. Where as if Jim Boob is seeking to keep control of all the boys and under his thumb, then he better keep Bin in line.

Could be a toss-up, but my bet is he keeps control. Like starts another business like the car lot (or any small business) and keeps the kids under his thumb.

Maybe Jill was indeed the 'smart' one. She will see more of the world and what people are like (non Duggars) than she ever would have staying home. Maybe Jill is the smartie because she figured out how to get away. :worship:

That's interesting, Maybe then he doesn't have the girls getting their own money, because once Jana turned 18 wouldn't she have been building up a nice nest egg by now, I don't know, this is so odd. How does he keep it from the ones over 18? Would TLC be able to pay a contract out in one lump sum to a family corporation (ie.. whatever the hell corporation that the TLC payments are sent to)? What's the J'chelle company? ANyone? Didn't it have the word Michelle in it?

There are 28 properties total with a Duggar name in Washington County. The database is not as streamlined so can't get straight listing like for Benton.

post-13908-14452000624179_thumb.jpg

Three buildings on property. Bought from bank at a steal but still delinquent in 2013.

Previous grantor/grantee listed as JORDAN TR. Amy's father maybe? Could be a coincidence.

Usually publishers pay authors twice a year, depending on how many books have been sold in the last 6 month period. Legally those checks would be made out to the daughters, and there's no way that JB could have prevented that.

From what I know, book royalties are only a small fraction of what books sell for. Royalties used to be as much as 15% of the book's selling price, but now royalties are often 8 to 10%, and sometimes less.

So suppose the four J'Slaves' book sells for $20. (I don't know if that's right; just taking a hypothetical.) And suppose their book contract with the publisher specified 10% royalties. That means they make $2 per book. (And when books are being sold off really cheap, the royalties would be even smaller, or in some cases non-existent.)

At $2 a book, the J'Slaves would have to sell 20,000 books in order to make just $2000. Could they sell 200,000, and make $20,000? Possibly. But I doubt they are going to sell more than, say 600,000 copies ($60,000). There just isn't enough of a market for what they are trying to sell.

And let's say they did make $60,000. That amount, divided among the four of them, amounts to $15,000 each. Enough for a very nice holiday, perhaps, for Jill and for Jessa, but not enough to buy long-term freedom for Jinger or Jana.

It is very very hard, and very very rare, to make a lot of money from book publishing. Especially these days.

Archived