IGNORED

Duggars By the Dozen - General Discussion - Lucky 13

happy atheist

I have a feeling we're going to see courtships start popping like crazy, just so JB won't have to worry about feeding as many . . . Until he realizes places aren't going to pay for his weddings for free.

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am interested to know how JB will be budgeting now that the show is off the air.

What expenses get wiped first?

I imagine the planes would go first-- they are just giant money sucking pits. Then perhaps some of the other vehicles. I'm not sure how many they have but perhaps one for every adult plus the RV? Lots of money flying out the window for car insurance and maintenance; perhaps they could cut the family fleet down to three or four. Then some of those houses that JB owns, for example Jill's mansion. Jill might not be back for a year so who is doing the yard maintenance and paying the taxes?

I will confess, I have not done a lot of reading on the subject, but when I think of Calvin, am I right that he started what became the Presbyterian Church? In my area, these churches are very mainstream and not particularly viewed as conservative.

But when I see Calvinism mentioned on FJ, I get a very different impression. I started reading that book about Quiverfull on my Kindle, and then my Kindle died and I haven't replaced it yet. I gather that the form of Calvinism that DPIAT promoted, and that the Seewalds follow is ultra conservative and very patriarchal. I know nothing about Mars Hill other than I have seen references here and there. Maybe as the Duggar part of FJ slows down in the wake of the cancellation, I will venture more to other areas of the FJ site. But sometimes it feels like work to me, to have to read so much background info, just to get caught up. As someone who works full time, and has a side part time job and is studying for a very robust certification exam, I just don't have that kind of time. I like my free time activities to be a little less intense.

Yeah, and I didn't want to derail the thread, just drop a few interconnected names so you might be able to see the implications of getting closer with Voddie B.

But search any of those names on FJ and you'll have no dearth of leisure time reading.

I am sorry to say I have heard every one of those people, except one, speak in person. And a lot of their teaching meshes well with Gothard's teachings and formulas for "success". Very authoritarian.

[search][/search]

I have a feeling we're going to see courtships start popping like crazy, just so JB won't have to worry about feeding as many . . . Until he realizes places aren't going to pay for his weddings for free.

They can get the other family to foot the bill. Or go to Vegas.

It's not that hard.

Seems like when the girls got married it was more of an expenditure, especially with the Seewalds.

But to who? Even the ultra conservatives I know, while they might forgive Josh's actions as a youth, would not the Duggars to be in-laws because of Josh's actions.

[search][/search]

They can get the other family to foot the bill. Or go to Vegas.

It's not that hard.

They just don't need to invite the entire American fundie population. That would save a ton of cash. And anyway, JB is a millionaire. Even if he spent $20,000 per child per wedding (which, in my opinion, is generous since they don't have real meals, no alc, etc.), his wallet would be just fine.

Seems like when the girls got married it was more of an expenditure, especially with the Seewalds.

JB didn't pay for any of that, TLC did.

The leghumpers practically furnished the places that he already owned.

JB didn't pay for any of that, TLC did.

The leghumpers practically furnished the places that he already owned.

Exactly. And if they opted for an "average" wedding dress, that would save thousands right there.

Josh and Anna did it. Erin and Chad did it. It can be done.

Yeah, and I didn't want to derail the thread, just drop a few interconnected names so you might be able to see the implications of getting closer with Voddie B.

But search any of those names on FJ and you'll have no dearth of leisure time reading.

I am sorry to say I have heard every one of those people, except one, speak in person. And a lot of their teaching meshes well with Gothard's teachings and formulas for "success". Very authoritarian.

I believe in most places, the Presbyterian church is considered mainline Protestant, as mentioned above. Women gained acceptance for ordination in the late 70's-early 80's (I have an Auntie who was in that batch, retired but still fills in). Although rooted in Calvinism, the church continues to evolve, and similiarly to the Episcopal (ECUSA), Methodist, Congregational, et al churches, believes in the dogmatic concepts of Scripture-Reason-Tradition. That the bible is inspired, but not inerrant. The King James is lovely, but not scholarly. Also belief in infant baptism. That said, there are always factions and sub groups in bitty pockets who remain conservative.

If these people are calling themselves Calvinists,they are likely referring back, pre-Hume, pre Enlightenment. It was a severe religion, perfectly suited to the stoic Scots.

I think I there ever was going to be a Bates/Duggar wedding, now would be the time. Not because the Bates are any more willing than before, but JB would be smart to push for that as hard as possible. The Bates have their own show, are obviously a Duggar approved family, and they do have a bit more skills than the Duggars. Even without the show they have a much better chance of getting it together. Also, I imagine they'd be one of the few people left who would be willing to marry into the Duggars after this.

I'm not saying it's doing to happen or the Bates want to. I'm looking at this solely from the Duggars POV.

I think I there ever was going to be a Bates/Duggar wedding, now would be the time. Not because the Bates are any more willing than before, but JB would be smart to push for that as hard as possible. The Bates have their own show, are obviously a Duggar approved family, and they do have a bit more skills than the Duggars. Even without the show they have a much better chance of getting it together. Also, I imagine they'd be one of the few people left who would be willing to marry into the Duggars after this.

I'm not saying it's doing to happen or the Bates want to. I'm looking at this solely from the Duggars POV.

I disagree with the bolded. The Bates need their show. Lawson was fine without the show. Unfortunately, I don't think Duggars will have trouble finding (ati approved) people willing to marry into the their family.

ETA:

ISB- Is someone courting Andrew Patton or Andrew Hubert?

I believe in most places, the Presbyterian church is considered mainline Protestant, as mentioned above. Women gained acceptance for ordination in the late 70's-early 80's (I have an Auntie who was in that batch, retired but still fills in). Although rooted in Calvinism, the church continues to evolve, and similiarly to the Episcopal (ECUSA), Methodist, Congregational, et al churches, believes in the dogmatic concepts of Scripture-Reason-Tradition. That the bible is inspired, but not inerrant. The King James is lovely, but not scholarly. Also belief in infant baptism. That said, there are always factions and sub groups in bitty pockets who remain conservative.

If these people are calling themselves Calvinists,they are likely referring back, pre-Hume, pre Enlightenment. It was a severe religion, perfectly suited to the stoic Scots.

The problem seems to be, it's not such a "bitty" pocket.

We're not talking PC-USA, the "liberal" branch of Presbyterians. We're talking PCA, OPC, Bible Presbyterian, and a host of smaller "reformed" denominations like the CREC and... and... I can't remember them all. It seems like when someone runs afoul of the rules, or when a denomination does something "unthinkable" (like considering the ordination of women as a mere possibility, or refusing to declare that Young Earth Creation is the *only* interpretation of Genesis), they split off and form their own. It appears to me to be hyper-Calvinism at its most rabid.

Edited to add: From what I understand, the larger of these denominations (PCA, OPC) run a spectrum from ultra-conservative to mildly liberal. All of them, as I understand it, are complementarian (IOW, women are second-class citizens. All christians are equal under christ, it's just that some are more equal than others.) There is also a large group of Baptists, the SBC, that is being taken over by this calvinist, complementarian crowd. Pardon me for sounding ignorant about this last bit; I'm not a Baptist and don't quite understand if there are more than one flavor of that denomination. I think there are but to me "Baptist is Baptist". Sort of like to others, "Presbyterian is Presbyterian". Ah, but there are Presbyterians, and then there is the kind of Presbyterianism that our family has fled.

Yes, perfectly suited to the stoic Scots. For a more modern philosopher, look up Rushdooney. What I've heard quoted of him makes my blood run cold. Oh, they've softened the language somewhat, and I haven't heard his name mentioned lately, but they used to talk about how wonderful it would be to have a theocracy take over the US government. "bible" based theocracy, that is. Old Testament law includes such peacekeeping measures as stoning homosexuals, for starters.

It may seem small, but these rigid, hateful conservatives have taken over several state homeschooling organizations and their conventions, brainwashing hundreds of families with their fear-mongering message that unless you raise your children just the way *they* say is "biblical" the whole USA is going down the tubes, and their children might grow up to rebel and *gasp* think for themselves, and gay marriage will be made legal, and... Oh, wait.

Anyhow, to bring this back to the Duggars, I truly hope that if it *must* be calvinism, that they will lay hold of the kinder, gentler version.

I disagree with the bolded. The Bates need their show. Lawson was fine without the show. Unfortunately, I don't think Duggars will have trouble finding (ati approved) people willing to marry into the their family.

ETA:

ISB- Is someone courting Andrew Patton or Andrew Hubert?

I don't mean the parents, I mean the individual kids themselves. Because of their circumstances the Bates kid ended up with some more marketable skills than the Duggars.

Also, even if there are other families willing to have the Duggars, I still think JB would be pushing for one of his kids to be marrying a Bates cause or them it would be marrying up.

On a slightly unrelated note, why has the only ATI wedding so far been with Anna? It seems the girls would be even more pressured to marry within their cult.

they can also save money on wedding costs for the girls by reducing the eleventy bridesmaids & groomsmen and flower girls and ring bearers etc. Plus, hey, leghumper labor might still be there so Siera can serve more melted rootbeer floats.

Isn't JB land rich? I live in the area atm (SW MO) and people get phat loot selling land to folk wanting a place within driving distance to Eureka Springs and Branson, or hunting digs, or a startup ranch, or whatever else it is people with too much money do around here.

And as we all know, fundies love nothing more than being a victim, so his speaking gigs might start rolling in.

they can also save money on wedding costs for the girls by reducing the eleventy bridesmaids & groomsmen and flower girls and ring bearers etc. Plus, hey, leghumper labor might still be there so Siera can serve more melted rootbeer floats.

Leghumper labor :lol:

As with all things, time will tell how they are doing without the TLC paycheck as part of their income.

Will the next wedding have 1000+ guests? Will the bride go to NYC for her dress? Will there be a herd of bridesmaids and groomsmen? Will the happy couple go on a whirlwind tour of Europe? (methinks no to all)

Will any of the kidults get real jobs? Even if JB is set financially now, can his vast empire support his vast brood? If so, for how long?

I will be interested to see what post-TLC life is like for these people.

Sorry this is a bit off topic but it's been driving me nuts and I want to hear other opinions.... So Michaela (Bates) and Brandon are engaged. She seems absolutely in love with him and their proposal is actually very sweet, she is so thrilled and emotional (it's on bringingupbates/uptv) (snip)

Sorry this is a bit off topic but it's been driving me nuts and I want to hear other opinions.... So Michaela (Bates) and Brandon are engaged. She seems absolutely in love with him and their proposal is actually very sweet, she is so thrilled and emotional (it's on bringingupbates/uptv) (snip)

(snip)

I always imagine fundies having crazy sex lives, tho. Like all that repression and guilt has to be for a reason and they're getting their premarital groove on while cosplaying as Frankenfurter and Rocky. Or fursuits.

0k4p1ms.jpg Jim Bob, is that you in there?s

(snip).I think he is uncomfortable and nervous in front of cameras

(snip).I think he is uncomfortable and nervous in front of cameras

Is there a Youtube with Brandon to take a look? I've never watched their show.

(snip)

I always imagine fundies having crazy sex lives, tho. Like all that repression and guilt has to be for a reason and they're getting their premarital groove on while cosplaying as Frankenfurter and Rocky. Or fursuits.

0k4p1ms.jpg Jim Bob, is that you in there?

Someone needs to explain what I'm looking at here .... religious animals? Is this like those religious vegetables?

Someone needs to explain what I'm looking at here .... religious animals? Is this like those religious vegetables?

:wtf: Yes please, I need to understand what the hell is going on in that picture. Is that supposed to be a lion Jesus complete with stigmata!?! And why is the angel/panther/wolf(?) giving bunny ears to the cougar with a cross on his ass?

Right?? I'm utterly delighted that this is a thing!

dangerousminds.net/comments/crusader_cat_jesus_christ_people_are_weird

I really, really want to comment on a fundie blog with this link and get their opinion.

Has anyone else noticed the Happy Anniversary video? Lots of them sitting around with no jobs to go to.

duggarfamily.com/2015/7/happy-anniversary

(Didn't break the link because it's their public site - apologies if I should have).

Archived