IGNORED

Jessa Duggar Seewald is Pregnant - Part 3

Boogalou

I only had one ultrasound for both of my ob/gyn pregnancies. They did the doppler for heartbeat at every appointment, but only one official ultrasound. (I actually had a couple with my first when I was stuck in latent labor for a week, but that was at the end to make sure he was going to fit down the birth canal). I know it's probably changed in the last 9 years, but not that long ago, 1 was normal.

Edited for spelling

• Replies 870
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think when and how many ultrasounds you get can also depend a lot on where you live. I don't know many people around here who don't get an early, trans-vaginal ultrasound to confirm dates--my sister just had one at her first OB appointment this pregnancy at 7 weeks and has her next one scheduled for around 17-18 weeks. If patients don't get them, it's usually because they refuse. 20 weeks seems late to me for a first ultrasound, but thanks to what I do for a living I'd want to know asap if something were wrong. Since Jessa wouldn't have an abortion an earlier anatomy scan might not be a priority. She can wait until the fetus is bigger so she can get those clearer, cuter pictures.

I think when and how many ultrasounds you get can also depend a lot on where you live. I don't know many people around here who don't get an early, trans-vaginal ultrasound to confirm dates--my sister just had one at her first OB appointment this pregnancy at 7 weeks and has her next one scheduled for around 17-18 weeks. If patients don't get them, it's usually because they refuse. 20 weeks seems late to me for a first ultrasound, but thanks to what I do for a living I'd want to know asap if something were wrong. Since Jessa wouldn't have an abortion an earlier anatomy scan might not be a priority. She can wait until the fetus is bigger so she can get those clearer, cuter pictures.

I don't know if it has much to do with where you live. Probably more to do with what type of person you are and what type of doctor you go to.

I did "refuse" many things because they weren't medically necessary. (I put quotation marks around the word refuse because my doctor, by no means, told me I should do any of those things so it wasn't really like I said "NO, I will NOT get an ultrasound at 6 weeks" or whatever. Wasn't really much of a big deal at all.)

You don't have to answer, but I'm curious - how does what you do for a living play a role in why you'd want to know about problems early?

I don't know if it has much to do with where you live. Probably more to do with what type of person you are and what type of doctor you go to.

I did "refuse" many things because they weren't medically necessary. (I put quotation marks around the word refuse because my doctor, by no means, told me I should do any of those things so it wasn't really like I said "NO, I will NOT get an ultrasound at 6 weeks" or whatever. Wasn't really much of a big deal at all.)

You don't have to answer, but I'm curious - how does what you do for a living play a role in why you'd want to know about problems early?

I'm a pathologists' assistant. Part of what I do is perform autopsies, including on babies and fetuses. The list of anomalies for which I would have an abortion is long, so I'd want to know early. (That's by no means a judgement on what others should do. I'm pro-choice in every sense.)

Just noticed something on the ultrasound. It says Babyface 3d/4d. That is an elective ultrasound place that does NOT diagnose things. So...it makes me wonder if she'll still be getting an anatomy scan by a qualified person or not. Even if you're pro-life it's such an important appointment. It would be really irresponsible to not get one, in my opinion.

Didn't Jessa say she was planning on a homebirth? If she's being followed by a lay midwife who doesn't have OB backup, she might not bother with an anatomy scan. Remember that birth Jill assisted where the baby had an omphalocele? That's something that should have been seen at ultrasound--I've always wondered if those parents were the super crunchy types who refuse all ultrasounds or whatever ultrasounds they had were just in those boutique places for the pictures.

That is so messed up to me. There are a lot of things that can be found at the anatomy scan. It's wise to know about them ahead of time for the safety of the baby. These people are such idiots. It drives me insane. They claim to be "pro-life" and yet they aren't doing all they can for their child.

That is so messed up to me. There are a lot of things that can be found at the anatomy scan. It's wise to know about them ahead of time so the safety of the baby. These people are such idiots. It drives me insane. They claim to be "pro-life" and yet they aren't doing all they can for their child.

Exactly. There are so many conditions that have good prognosis if known of ahead of time.

Makes sense... Maybe because she is doing midwife. I still think it's weird she would have skipped the first one. Wouldn't they have wanted to confirm the pregnancy was viable? Either way she definitely found out the gender at this ultrasound.

When I was with my OB, the only ultrasound I had was the 15-18 week anatomy scan. They didn't feel it necessarily to do it earlier.

My daughter refused all scans...until her MD insisted on doing one when she was overdue.

I remember when a friend of mine was told by her OBGYN that doppler's may not be totally safe- My friend is also a nurse who used to jump on the table and do her own doppler HR check while waiting for her MD.

I only had 1 US when I was overdue with my first.

Didn't have any with my second kid.

I only had 1 US when I was overdue with my first.

Didn't have any with my second kid.

Really? They didn't do the anatomy scan? That's so bizarre to me. At my scan they checked so many major things, like the heart. Often things are found at the scan that are important to know once the baby arrives. Things that may require extra care and surgery and stuff like that. I think it's even more important for people who want to do a home birth. Or who live in small towns with hospitals that aren't fully equipped with NICUs and everything.

I 'refused' many things during my pregnancy but the anatomy scan was definitely not one of them.

Really? They didn't do the anatomy scan? That's so bizarre to me. At my scan they checked so many major things, like the heart. Often things are found at the scan that are important to know once the baby arrives. Things that may require extra care and surgery and stuff like that. I think it's even more important for people who want to do a home birth. Or who live in small towns with hospitals that aren't fully equipped with NICUs and everything.

I 'refused' many things during my pregnancy but the anatomy scan was definitely not one of them.

My kids are 28 and 24 and both were born in a large, tertiary maternal unit in San Francisco-

My kids are 28 and 24 and both were born in a large, tertiary maternal unit in San Francisco-

Ah. That makes more sense then. I don't think the technology was widely used at that time. I am 34 years old and my parents' youngest. I think I was the only one my parents saw on an ultrasound and I don't think they looked for much. Not like they do now. I found it all really interesting at my appointment and in another life maybe I'll be an ultrasound technician or something...ha!

I used a midwife as well and didn't have any ultrasounds. A good midwife can determine size and position without them. Also, many midwives don't even see clients until after 12-15 weeks bc if miscarriage is going to happen, most of the time it will happen before that time. If Jessa is using a MW, and I suspect she is, I'm surprised she's having any ultrasounds at all.

Anyone else think it's weird she tagged the sonogram pic "first ultrasound"? At 19 weeks 3 days she should be on her 3rd ultrasound. The first is at 8 or 9 weeks to confirm baby's heartbeat, the second is at 12 or 13 weeks as part of down syndrome testing, and the third is around 20 weeks where they check for any abnormalities and tell you the gender if you want to know. Is Jessa not getting proper pre natal care? Maybe because she doesn't have health insurance? It's just weird to me that she isn't following standard prenatal care protocol when it comes to ultrasounds. Or, she has had two other ones and is just lying about this being her first.

EDIT for riffles

My mom told me all prenatal care was free ... :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Free prenatal care? We don't care if you're pregnancy is healthy or not. Just pop the kid out and don't have an abortion. That's all that really matters.

Seriously though. It's not free. I'm sure medicaid will cover you in some states, but Jessa likely wouldn't qualify for it. Sadly, the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness does not include health care. I had employer based health insurance when I was pregnant with my first. It wasn't an expected pregnancy so I had yet to find my MW. I started with an OBGYN and then my insurance dropped me (long story) so I was stuck without any insurance at all while I was just starting my second trimester. Luckily I found my MW but she doesn't take insurance. CNMs will but CPMs do not. She's wasn't terribly expensive and she worked with people who couldn't afford her services, but still. It wasn't free. I'm not sure that CNMs will even accept medicaid.

That's not always the case, depending on your insurance plan. And if she has medicaid, good luck finding someone who actually takes it.

Maybe in countries outside of the U.S. Or if you're really poor. But I've never heard of anyone else getting free care here.

I did IVF and was pregnant with twins, so I had ultrasounds at literally every appointment! I loved it though. 5 weeks to confirm pregnancy, 7 weeks to hear heartbeats and confirm still twins, 12 weeks for NT scan, 17 weeks because I moved and switched to a new OB, 20 weeks anatomy scan, 24 weeks twin growth scan, 28 weeks twin growth scan/preeclampsia/birth blah blah. Not to mention the zillion transvaginal ultrasounds I had during my IVF cycle.

I did IVF and was pregnant with twins, so I had ultrasounds at literally every appointment! I loved it though. 5 weeks to confirm pregnancy, 7 weeks to hear heartbeats and confirm still twins, 12 weeks for NT scan, 17 weeks because I moved and switched to a new OB, 20 weeks anatomy scan, 24 weeks twin growth scan, 28 weeks twin growth scan/preeclampsia/birth blah blah. Not to mention the zillion transvaginal ultrasounds I had during my IVF cycle.

The dildo cam!

Anyone else think it's weird she tagged the sonogram pic "first ultrasound"? At 19 weeks 3 days she should be on her 3rd ultrasound. The first is at 8 or 9 weeks to confirm baby's heartbeat, the second is at 12 or 13 weeks as part of down syndrome testing, and the third is around 20 weeks where they check for any abnormalities and tell you the gender if you want to know. Is Jessa not getting proper pre natal care? Maybe because she doesn't have health insurance? It's just weird to me that she isn't following standard prenatal care protocol when it comes to ultrasounds. Or, she has had two other ones and is just lying about this being her first.

EDIT for riffles

Not necessarily. I only had an anatomy ultrasound. Pregnancy confirmed by Doppler, blood test for genetic screening.

Not all doctors and midwives treat the same way. It's fine to only have one ultrasound.

EDIT for riffles

With my second son, I only had my 20 week ultrasound, heck, I didn't even have my first OB appointment until I was 10-11 weeks pregnant. The only "problems" I had during both pregnancies, was that I needed a Rhogam shot, but I totally blame that on DH, because he is the one with Rh+ blood, not me.

EDIT for riffles

it's not the first time she has lied via pictures and it won't be the last

might not even be Baby Seewald :D

Archived