IGNORED

Duggars By the Dozen - General Discussion - Part 12

homeschoolmomma1

I don't know if this is relevant to this thread, but I cannot start new posts, so I figure this will be the best place for it.

I was listening to HLN on my XM radio (they broadcast the TV programming on the radio) and Dr. Drew was talking about Josh again. But, they talked specifically about ATI and exposed its lies. They talked about Gothard and how he was accused of sexual harassment. They discussed the ATI curriculum with a former student of ATI who broke away and stopped believing their lies. One thing I found interesting was that they said that in the ATI curriculum, it is said that semen causes cancer...wow, they really don't want people doing the do before marriage! :pull-hair:

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They obviously need to be fired. On the bright side their distraction technique obviously isn't working.

The Duggars are using the distraction technique, too, on their FB page, by posting pictures of little Israel. That one seems to be working, I see a long list of supporting comments. Appalling, scary, depressing.

The Duggars are using the distraction technique, too, on their FB page, by posting pictures of little Israel. That one seems to be working, I see a long list of comments expressing support, love, prayers...etc. Appalling, scary, depressing.

Edited for clarity

Wait...wut? If semen causes cancer than why aren't married women dropping like flies?

I think it's fairly clear that the Duggars blanket trained. And at one point, Clown Car (I think it was) said Janna had been "spirited.' Obviously, they trained that right out of her.

I think all the Duggars' old mentions of Pearls, blanket training, and hitting with flexible rulers have been scrubbed, though IIRC, they all used to exist somewhere. It's interesting, though, that there is still a mention of blanket training on the duggarfamilyblog.com FAQ (not officially associated with the family, but sort of unofficially sanctioned, to my understanding). It's totally whitewashed, however, and doesn't mention that the method of keeping small children on the blanket is by hitting them.

Q: What is blanket training?

A: Starting when her children are toddlers, Michelle teaches them to play quietly with a single toy for short periods of time, often while sitting on a blanket. Blanket training teaches small children to exercise self-control in any situation (with or without a blanket). As the kids grow older, Michelle begins training them to sit quietly without a toy. Click here to read more about the process Michelle uses to teach her 19 kids to be "quiet and still."

Following the "click here" link from duggarfamilyblog.com:

Quiet and Still: Teaching Self-Control

To instill self-control in her children--especially her energetic little boys--Michelle uses a process that she calls Quite and Still (similar to Blanket Training, but without the toy). From the time they are young, the mother of many teaches her kids to sit quietly and slowly increases the length of time.

"It's not waiting until they do something wrong to correct them, but actually taking moments to train them," explains Michelle in our July 2011 interview. She recommends starting with increments of five minutes.

Here's how it works:

"I'll sit him in a chair, and I'll say, 'Okay, Mommy's going to sit beside you, and you're going to practice being still and quiet...yes ma'am?'...We may do that two or three times a day for about a week, and usually they catch it."

"What they're learning is self-control. (Click here for the Duggars' list of character qualities)...They're learning to obey Mommy's voice." One of Michelle's favorite mantras is "The first time I say it, you obey it."

"Then it can be transferred to when you're in the grocery store and they're sitting in the cart....They can learn to do that wherever they are because it's trained in their little hearts."

Michelle also stresses the importance of pouring out the praise. She and Jim Bob believe that one of the most vital parenting tips is to "praise your children ten times more than you correct them."

*edited to fix quotes

Supposedly, frequent sexual contact with the same man makes you immune to his semen.

I wasn't schooled ati but I remember hearing that bs somewhere from my mother.

Supposedly, frequent sexual contact with the same man makes you immune to his semen.

So if I'm having frequent pre-marital sex with my boyfriend, I'm a-ok? Thanks, Mr. Gothard! I guess lesbians are good to go, too.

At least with the whole 'semen causes cancer' thing you can kind of see where he might have got it - I mean it is factual that the more sexual partners you have, the higher your risk of contracting sexually transmitted diseases. But some of the other stuff was even more out there:

The miscarriage or premature birth of a child conceived in unfaithfulness can also be attributed to the stress of the cup of bitter water. This interpretation assumes that the accused WOMAN is pregnant when she is brought before the priest. If the child is the husband’s , she has no reason for guilt, and the child will live.

?! And if she weighs the same as a duck..... she's a witch!!!!

Yeah, it something about having your body exposed to several different types of semen (i.e. different men) can cause you to become allergic to it or something equally stupid. Of course that doesn't work if the kids use condoms.

If one of them has HPV I suppose. Semen is considered an alien substance. So y wouldn't every one get cancer upon losing their virginity? ATI science. ;-P

If one of them has HPV I suppose. Semen is considered an alien substance. So y wouldn't every one get cancer upon losing their virginity? ATI science. ;-P

Thus the 'logic'. I mean think about it... they're saying a woman's body thinks that semen is an alien substance, but that over time she builds up a tolerance to her husband's semen. So there's a time period there (how long? weeks? months? years?) where her body still thinks her husband's semen is alien. And yet married women aren't getting cancer from their husband's semen.

This clearly makes the assertion that semen causes cancer completely illogical, because:

a) apparently semen does NOT cause cancer in a woman within a certain time frame, AND

b) after that time frame is over, the woman's body has built up a resistance to the semen, and is no longer at risk.

Derp.

Just gross.

I just saw the blanket training-ruler allegations and Derick and Ben's trying to hit a cat on a sled.

Not nice at all!

I was reading Gawker's Bad Science post and found this part interesting: ...the specific sins of the fathers are passed on in the form of weaknesses to their sons and daughters. Thus, a father who lusts with his eyes will cause his children to have greater temptation in this area until he confesses his past sins and prays a daily hedge around his children."

So according to Gothard's belief system, it is JimBob's fault that Josh committed his acts of molestation. Josh was weak --- and that has to be due to the sins of his father. Geez JimBob, if you weren't such a lustful pig, if only you had confessed your sins before your church and prayed a hedge around your children, these events would not have happened! It is all JimBob's fault - according to his belief system. Why hasn't he publicly stated so?

:roll:

I do blame JimChelle and their crazy cult for creating such an unhealthy home situation. And according to JimBob himself, about 2/3 of their co-Gothardites experience even worse sexual misconduct in their homes.

Praying a daily hedge around his children.

I'd pay to see that.

Has anyone out there read Margaret Atwood's MaddAddam trilogy? I believe the Craker men pee a protective line around their encampments to keep predators away. :D

Well, well, well...looks like we get to see this play out in a way. Will Josh make it into a life boat or are they gonna let him go down with the ship?

Well, well, well...looks like we get to see this play out in a way. Will Josh make it into a life boat or are they gonna let him go down with the ship?

They'd get him to a boat, and tell the girls to hell with them.

[quote="ShadowyOne"

Michelle also stresses the importance of pouring out the praise. She and Jim Bob believe that one of the most vital parenting tips is to "praise your children ten times more than you correct them.

*edited to fix quotes

Jana, Jinger, and Joy-Anna each find their Jack Dawson on the ship. Whether the men live or die, they all change their identity and break free after the lifeboats.

And I'd pay to see just one Duggar girl say "I'd rather be his whore than your wife."

JB paid for steerage for everyone but demands first class for him and Michelle because all they paid for eleventy tickets so they should get a bonus. He refuses to believe that there are no empty rooms. He ends up talking about the sacrifice they make so they can minister to the other steerage passengers.

After leaving the dock JB sets the kids up on the deck to "entertain" the passengers.

Josh somehow forces his way to the bridge and take control from the captain claiming he knows a better way. When he hits the object that will ultimately bring the ship down he blames the object itself for defrauding him saying he was just curious about it.

The unmarried adult children will gather the younger children and quietly get in a lifeboat and escape.

JB and Michelle claim the object purposely hit the boat because it had an agenda. They tell people that God has allowed this but will see them through this. They go down with the ship saying that Josh is the real victim.

Derrick and Jill gather Izzy and search for children who have been separated from their parents. The Dillard's and the Seewalds get in the same life boat. Bin tell the children they are going to hell and tries to save them from eternal hell.

Anna is looking for Josh telling people he is a leader and she knew he didn't know how to steer a ship but he knew a better way so it's okay.

Josh finds his parents and thinking that they will be allowed in a lifeboat hides behind them.

Anna stands besides her man. Mackenzie gives her parents the stink eye and finds the unmarried aunts and uncles and joins them with her younger siblings.

JB, Michelle, Anna and Josh sing "Amazing Grace"'off key and as loudly as possible. That is the last thing anyone sees of them.

I really think they would barge ahead of everyone else and all grab a raft and jump in. To heck with everyone else. Of course, they'd try to find a way to look good in all this. When interviewed later they'd all lie through their teeth about how many people they helped. The women would be crying (except Jessa).

Michelle would stand outside of the smoking room and protest the sale of alcohol.

and the smoking of tobacco

They hid Josh away on a life boat and put the girls in charge of making sure no one discovers that there's a man on the boat.

Archived