IGNORED

Duggars By the Dozen - General Discussion - Part 12

homeschoolmomma1

Flashback to 2010 when J'Chelle was voted Mom of the Year. Not sure if she'll get that honor this year...

ReligionDispatches.org/biblical-patriarchy-activists-name-michelle-duggar-mother-of-the-year/

"...Michelle Duggar—mother of 19, grandmother of one, and star of the hit reality series on TLC 19 Kids and Counting —was named Mother of the Year by the Christian Reconstructionist group Vision Forum at its “Historic Baby Conference.â€

According to Vision Forum’s statement, the conference “featured encouraging messages on the blessing of children and the culture of life, special lectures and panel discussions for mothers, forums on child-training, and presentations for the whole family that explored the wonder of God’s creation through the intricacies of the womb.â€

The event, the award, and the TLC show are excellent illustrations of how a Reconstructionist worldview has trickled into the broader American culture in ways that are not always obvious.

Vision Forum and its president, Doug Phillips (who is the son of conservative movement icon and Constitution Party founder Howard Phillips) are strong advocates of the biblical patriarchy movement. Since the 1970s there has been an influential biblical feminist movement, advocating equality in evangelicalism and fundamentalism."

These people are downright scary.

And TLC is flat out praised by name in that award. I wouldn't be surprised if TLC is making marketing money from the cult. Maybe they pay less in payments and royalties to showcase these families. And maybe those agreements are why TLC can't issue any negative comments about any one family in particular. I'm convinced there's more of a connection than anyone realizes... yet.

• Replies 927
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im glad that there will be a new investigation into the family and what went on. I hope the kids will be safe. Hopefully it will include Josh's kids too, as they need to assess Josh's risk to them.

Unfortunately this will not have an effect on the victims though, except for Joy, but I hope they are spoken to and encouraged to get counselling :( I hope Josh is made to get therapy too, even if he has never done it again or has never wanted to, something messed up happened to him in the past and these things don't go away on their own.

I of course feel sorry for all the kids. But are we underestimating the affect that this will have on Joy and the other unmarried girls? I feel more sorry for them than Jessa and Jill because they don't have a husband to confide in, nor have they found a spouse. The ones that make my heart break are Joy, Jinger and Jana the more I think about things.

Maybe someone will post it when it gets printed.

Also, does DHS usually call 911 for things like this? Isn't that only for emergencies? Am I missing something?

I'm sure it was a Cover Your Ass move by DHS. If your investigating a child that might be in danger and are not getting cooperation from the parents, than I would call the cops if I was the DHS person. With this high profile case, if something happened to that child someone would want this guys job on a platter. Ya know. I'd do that too.

I of course feel sorry for all the kids. But are we underestimating the affect that this will have on Joy and the other unmarried girls? I feel more sorry for them than Jessa and Jill because they don't have a husband to confide in, nor have they found a spouse. The ones that make my heart break are Joy, Jinger and Jana the more I think about things.

My comment about CPS not being able to help the victims now or get them into counselling applies to all of them except for Joy, married or not. Even though Jana and Jinger are still living in the house, they are over 18 years old. Any abuse of them is not a CPS issue. Also they can probably mandate that any of the minor children get counselling, and maybe the parents too, but I don't think they can tell Jana or Jinger to get counselling. And yeah, I do feel more sorry for the victims who are in the house right now, because they are right in the middle of it, with their parents in a very tense environment, and they don't have someone to talk to or support them.

Flashback to 2010 when J'Chelle was voted Mom of the Year. Not sure if she'll get that honor this year...

ReligionDispatches.org/biblical-patriarchy-activists-name-michelle-duggar-mother-of-the-year/

"...Michelle Duggar—mother of 19, grandmother of one, and star of the hit reality series on TLC 19 Kids and Counting —was named Mother of the Year by the Christian Reconstructionist group Vision Forum at its “Historic Baby Conference.â€

According to Vision Forum’s statement, the conference “featured encouraging messages on the blessing of children and the culture of life, special lectures and panel discussions for mothers, forums on child-training, and presentations for the whole family that explored the wonder of God’s creation through the intricacies of the womb.â€

The event, the award, and the TLC show are excellent illustrations of how a Reconstructionist worldview has trickled into the broader American culture in ways that are not always obvious.

Vision Forum and its president, Doug Phillips (who is the son of conservative movement icon and Constitution Party founder Howard Phillips) are strong advocates of the biblical patriarchy movement. Since the 1970s there has been an influential biblical feminist movement, advocating equality in evangelicalism and fundamentalism."

These people are downright scary.

Some journalist messed up this part of that article. equality my booty.

Could Wal-Mart have fired him?

Anything is possible. The auto-reply to his email says he took a job elsewhere, but that may not be the case.

What about Derrick leaving Wal-Mart, that seems crazy.

Could Wal-Mart have fired him?

I doubt it. Walmart has enough controversy in their life as it is. Firing somebody who had nothing to do with the scandal would not make sense. Plus it would alienate some of their customer base. If he quit, it was his own choice. I only hope that they're not moving closer to Michelle and Jim-Bob.

Some journalist messed up this part of that article. equality my booty.

There's more to that quote:

Since the 1970s there has been an influential biblical feminist movement, advocating equality in evangelicalism and fundamentalism. Changing attitudes led to many controversies which I documented in my book, Evangelical Christian Women: War Stories in the Gender Battles. Biblical patriarchy was a direct reaction to this biblical feminism.

Here's the real reason I came into this thread: Lily and Ellie want to know how the Duggars have impacted your life!

duggarfamilyblog.com/2015/06/share-your-story.html

How have the Duggars impacted your life? Email us your story at DuggarFamilyBlog@gmail.com, and it might appear on the blog! We plan to post them during the two weeks surrounding Ellie's wedding (June 20th-July 1st). During that time, we won't be able to post live updates or moderate comments, but based on the emails we have already received from readers, we know these stories are going to be worth reading.

I'm tempted to send them something. :twisted:

Here's the real reason I came into this thread: Lily and Ellie want to know how the Duggars have impacted your life!

duggarfamilyblog.com/2015/06/share-your-story.html

I'm tempted to send them something. :twisted:

They can't find a substitute leghumper to help so they're begging the public for testimonials? Sounds like a desperate attempt for some positive PR.

I suspect the stories worth reading are not the ones we'll see.

If Josh, Anna and their kids are staying at their parents' house, CPS may have been there to see their kids. A report could easily have been generated on Josh's family based on risk. We do not call 911 when we need law enforcement assistance, we call 311.

If Josh, Anna and their kids are staying at their parents' house, CPS may have been there to see their kids. A report could easily have been generated on Josh's family based on risk. We do not call 911 when we need law enforcement assistance, we call 311.

That actually would make some sense from a practical point of view. That would be another PR disaster.

From a common-sense point of view, why not put them in Jill's mansion. Although Jill's might be too with Izzy.

Didn't Josh pay his back taxes and doesn't he have a house in Arkansas? I thought so.

In my experience if CYFD has to interview a child in the home about an allegation they must verify the safety of all the kids in the home.

I'm not clear but maybe Fox news being there noticed a concern. I think that would be ironic.

Wow. That journalist really screwed the pooch on getting the facts right for this story. Derick Dillard's father didn't come out in support for the Duggar family. That was Ben's father. To twist that knife even more, we all know Derick's father passed away a few years ago.

Jessa just posted a photo of her ultrasound on Instagram.

That's a good sign.

Did you happen to see a pink or blue flamingo in the background of the picture?

Jessa just posted a photo of her ultrasound on Instagram.

That's a good sign.

I think it's safe to say that this means the show is not ending. :evil:

Well, I don't know if a sample of three people is a valid basis to make such a general claim, but anyhow...

To the bolded: This is what I really don't see. I don't want to discredit your experience, but, in general, as somebody else already said, people believe stupid stuff like this despite the facts and not because of them. Especially Holocaust deniers do that. Do you really think someone like PP would change his mind on this subject, if being exposed to the facts? He is exposed to the facts, but he choses to twist or ignore them. It's the same with creationists, they often use the same facts to back up their position that the evolutionists use.

I can see that way of thinking, at least to some extent, also with fundamentalists. They cherry pick the facts, ignore or deny others, and twist the rest to fit their framework of interpretation. And, adhering to an opinion that is not popular or belongs to a minority makes it so much easier to cry "persecution" or "agenda", when someone calls you out on your bullshit...

As one who has studied and written extensively on the Holcaust, I kindly ask that we refrain from making any comparisons of the Holocaust and related issues to the Duggars. There is no comparison to be made whatsoever.

As one who has studied and written extensively on the Holcaust, I kindly ask that we refrain from making any comparisons of the Holocaust and related issues to the Duggars. There is no comparison to be made whatsoever.

To be clear, the comparison was obviously not to the Holocaust; it was to the culture of limited and censored information. Having worked extensively with ex-pats from Germany and having 2 in my family, it's a valid comparison based on their education in the 70s/80s. I don't plan to continue use of the analogy as the point has been made; however I won't avoid it either as it's not inflammatory or derogatory. It too is fact. Laws were enacted in the 90s to address the culture of censorship and misinformation. And I fail to see how your study of a certain discipline renders a legitimate topic offline. Certainly, you of all people, as a scholar of contemporary German history aren't suggesting the topic be censored? I'll assume not.

I'm not sure whether this has been mentioned before or if this is the right place for this post, so I hope the mods will feel free to kill it or move it. At any rate, the Duggars have decided NOT to come to their next scheduled events at the Rocky Mountain Super Conference on the family:

A Note from the CHEC Board on the Duggars

Updated statement as of Wednesday, 5/10/15 at 7:15 pm

By God’s Providence, CHEC just received word that Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar have decided not to come and address the 2015 Rocky Mountain Super Conference on the Family. This latest change comes in light of recent and increased attacks and pressure on the family. They have graciously requested to withdraw entirely from speaking at this year’s conference and therefore will not be appearing at the Friday evening event on June 19th.

We thank you for your patience as we have interacted closely with Jim Bob the last several days. Please be in prayer for the Duggar family during this difficult time.

Thank you for your support of CHEC and the Rocky Mountain Super Conference.

The CHEC Board of Directors

Certainly they were getting calls to remove the Duggars from the conference, so I doubt that it was just a matter of them "graciously request[ing] to withdraw entirely." I suspect that it was more a matter of the organizers having to tell Jim Bob over and over again that the majority of people commenting asked them not to have the Duggars participate.

Jim Bob and Bimbette seem to have so little awareness of current realities that it may have just now begun to dawn on Jim Bob that people really, truly don't buy the Duggar line on things.

I think it's safe to say that this means the show is not ending. :evil:

They're still getting so much press about stuff they're *not* doing (like withdrawing from public appearances)... I suppose things depend on this new investigation, but I think you're right the show may continue. Ugh.

Archived