IGNORED

Faith Pennington "Help Me Prove It" updates

Marian the Librarian

I have lived my entire life about an hour from Disneyland and go several times a year. I can't snark on someone who regularly goes to Disneyland. I am going to get a yearly pass for next year. It really is a magical place and I am as far from fundy as you can get.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bumping to report - just found this article online:

wilcoonline.com/index184.htm

IMNSHO, Faith is succeeding in spite of her parents, not because of them.

I live right on the edge of WilCo, and given their typical right-wing, weirdo shenanigans, I have to say I am proud of what has transpired there in Faith's case. I hope she finds some peace and hope here in her new life.

ETA Wilco is super weird, I am not defending them--just glad Faith has found some justice :) Faith, please check out Meetup around here, we have tons of fun ladies' groups you might enjoy :)

I live right on the edge of WilCo, and given their typical right-wing, weirdo shenanigans, I have to say I am proud of what has transpired there in Faith's case. I hope she finds some peace and hope here in her new life.

ETA Wilco is super weird, I am not defending them--just glad Faith has found some justice :) Faith, please check out Meetup around here, we have tons of fun ladies' groups you might enjoy :)

lemonhead, Greetings. I passed through the land of your people on the way to Waco on Sunday.

There is such an element of kismet that this is the representative that Lee Southworth (Lisa's mom, Alecia's grandmother) took her to see to address the issue with her birth certificate.

Rep. Farney earned her BS and MS degrees in education from Texas A&M, Commerce, and her PhD in Curriculum and Instruction from the University of Texas, Austin. She also earned additional certifications qualifying her to serve as a counselor and principal.

Prior to her election to the House of Representatives, she was elected to the District 10 seat of the State Board of Education serving 16 counties and 1.8 million residents. An award winning former classroom teacher, middle school and high school counselor, and adjunct professor at Texas A&M University, Commerce, Rep. Farney has relevant experience at every level of public education. She brings the unique perspective of a public school parent and an experienced educator to her role as a State Representative.

There was probably no one in the Texas lege as well qualified as Marsha Farney to immediately "get" how this issue affected a teenager and its larger implications in the home school community. Farney then teamed up with some heavy hitting dems (all women, IIRC?) for some serious bipartisan support and got the bill down the road.

I think Alecia has succeeded both because of and in spite of her parents. Lisa (who I think has a college degree) probably does a good job of educating her children. Alicia is literate, gracious and presents herself well. The kids all likely understand group dynamics and getting along with others as a result of growing up in a large family. They likely have self discipline and a great work ethic. The problem is when you add on the crazy. There are so many fundie families discussed on here who might be OK if they didn't have the bat shit crazy overlay of patriarchy or Michael Pearl or whatever else.

Lisa and James have educated their children but are having serious issues with failure to launch for the older kids. Lisa is an OCD control freak and James is a patriarch and they are keeping the kids home forever. The oldest son is getting the same law degree as his dad (on line), but this is a kid heading for his mid twenties who has never lived away from home. What will he take into the world of work or marriage? Lisa still screens books and movies for ALL her kids.

On a happier note, when I look at pictures of Alecia now, you can just see the life force pulsing through her, her color is good, she just radiates freedom and happiness, and I'm sure she had to work hard to constrain that energy with James and Lisa. And so wonderful that her grandparents took her in. Wondering if they will be become an underground railroad for some of the other Pennington kids. One can only hope.

Archived