IGNORED

Faith Pennington "Help Me Prove It" updates

Marian the Librarian

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent news!

Because we all need some good news, Faith posted on her FB that HB 2794 passed the senate committee! Go Faith!!!! :mrgreen:

I tried to attend that hearing this morning. Looked up the room number and location yesterday, got to the Texas capitol building and just could not find the room where the hearing was held in the maze of the north extension of the capitol complex, which is all underground. The only hearing that I found going on was standing room only and I think was related to transportation accidents.

THis is also an environment where you must

1. wear a black business suit

2. move with purpose and radiate confidence, because powerful or powerful by association with powerful person

3. do NOT make eye contact with someone unless you can exploit them, they have something you want, or you want something they have.

All other life forms are chum.

Honestly, the most unfriendly environment I've ever encountered, because unless you register on #3., you are simply invisible or that's how it felt. The halls of power. ICK!

Anyway, I'm excited the bill passed the senate hearing. It is interesting the the bill's main sponsors and authors are all women: Rep. Farney ® got the bill rolling, and Judith Zaffrini (Laredo) and Sinfronia Johnson of Houston (both Dems) carried it through.

I did read the bill. The element that James Pennington thinks is draconian is likely that it becomes a crime when a parent fails to follow through on court-ordered requirements to provide proof of birth documentation. However, the bill does not compel a parent to provide DNA to prove s/he is the birth parent. That's likely a separate issue.

Anyway, I had ridden my bike to the capitol building, and continued on a longer route around Lady Bird Lake until all was right with the world, had breakfast at Whole Foods downtown and headed home.

I still can't imagine what a child or young adult would do whose parents had simply abandoned them or kicked them out, especially if they were a child of color and especially if they were Hispanic. It would be a totally uphill battle on so many levels.

If this bill passes, which it certainly will, it won't be effective until Sept. 1, so I'm hoping that Alecia Faith will not be left in limbo until them.

Another thought after reviewing the requirements to renew a Texas drivers license or to get your first license.

School records are one of the documents that can be used.

Homeschoolers provide their own diplomas. I wonder if that is something that could be used as a supporting document?

Here's the link to Friday's videotaped testimony in the Texas State Senate Committee on State Affairs:

tlcsenate.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=30&clip_id=10276

Start at approximately 49:30 for State Senator Zaffirini's introduction. I love the look of incredulity on the faces of the committee members as they hear the details of Faith's situation...

Soooo happy this passed, and I hope it gets fast-tracked through the rest of the process. Faith, you did great again! :clap:

Thank you, MtL! One of the senators on the committee asked, "Are your parents dead?" He couldn't immediately get a grasp on how any child could end up in this situation.

She did mention that her parents "have agreed to work with us" so wondering if she has been granted her birth certificate or if the documentation is wending its way though a court.

I am so very happy for her. And very appreciative of Rep. Marsha Farney who has empowered Alecia through the sponsorship of this bill.

Anyway, this bill is pending a full vote in the Senate and it will likely formally pass in the next few weeks.

Thank you, MtL! One of the senators on the committee asked, "Are your parents dead?" He couldn't immediately get a grasp on how any child could end up in this situation.

She did mention that her parents "have agreed to work with us" so wondering if she has been granted her birth certificate or if the documentation is wending its way though a court.

I am so very happy for her. And very appreciative of Rep. Marsha Farney who has empowered Alecia through the sponsorship of this bill.

Anyway, this bill is pending a full vote in the Senate and it will likely formally pass in the next few weeks.

I think her parents are lying liars who lie, and they have no intention of helping her out except under immediate threat of prosecution.

I :clap: the family and Alicia Faith for not disparaging the parents during all of this. I think its very smart, but it also must be very difficult to not scream from the rooftops that the parenting are looney toons. It makes Alicia Faith seam mature and legitimate. they are also covering their asses with the family and the law. I don’t know much about making someone look bad, and how that can be punished, but seams like a good move. they are also still (I assume) hoping for cooperation with the family.

Update on Texas House Bill 2794: Relating to a delayed birth certificate; creating a criminal offense

This year's legislative session closed on May 30. The Texas House and Senate both approved this bill and it simply awaits the signature of the Texas governor to become law. It will become effective on Sept. 1, 2015.

Hope Alecia Faith does not have to resort to this law to get her citizenship documentation from her parents.

And yes, she is a textbook example of how to use social media effectively without creating a train wreck for the people involved. I applaud her and her grandparents and wish her the very best moving forward.

Thanks for the update, Howl.

Alecia, I'm so happy about this for you, and everyone else it will help! Hope you have a great summer, knowing you can move forward with your life.

MtL,

As long as the comments are from a public facebook, feel free to post them here. We don't really have to worry about bandwidth too much.

MtL,

As long as the comments are from a public facebook, feel free to post them here. We don't really have to worry about bandwidth too much.

Thanks Curious - duly noted! :)

The latest from Lisa's Pennington Point FB page:

"If you could visit any country besides your own, what would it be and why?"

Well, Lisa, you seem to be forgetting that international travel requires a passport - something you and James continue to deny your undocumented children. No foreign travel for them!

The stupid...I can't even... :angry-banghead:

Thanks Curious - duly noted! :)

The latest from Lisa's Pennington Point FB page:

Well, Lisa, you seem to be forgetting that international travel requires a passport - something you and James continue to deny your undocumented children. No foreign travel for them!

The stupid...I can't even... :angry-banghead:

But LISA has the ability to get a passport. Silly you for thinking she would think about her children :naughty: ! That's why this thread exists.

• 4 weeks later...

It's on the Help Me Prove it FB page, but governor Abbot signed Faith's bill! It will take effect on September 1st. :D

Faith you changed the law and you are a rockstar!

I'd be interested to read the sibs fb posts. I looked but couldn't find them on the page.

Way late to the party, but so glad to see that she prevailed! Does this mean her parents can now be prosecuted if they don't help?

Bumping to note the latest post on Lisa's "Pennington Point" FB page:

Me & my beautiful girl get to spend the WHOLE day together. She has the sweetest heart.....I'm thrilled to get some alone time together.

You can follow her at Hope Pennington. It's especially a great place for your daughters!

So it's time to play the old Good Daughter/Bad Daughter game, huh, Lisa?

Bumping to note the latest post on Lisa's "Pennington Point" FB page:

So it's time to play the old Good Daughter/Bad Daughter game, huh, Lisa?

Based on her responses on the Help me prove it FB page I wouldn't call her sweet. Reading her posts gave me anxiety, and I was not involved in the conversation. That girl has an advanced degree in emotional abusing and cruelty.

• 3 weeks later...
It's on the Help Me Prove it FB page, but governor Abbot signed Faith's bill! It will take effect on September 1st. :D

This is amazing news! I'm in awe of Faith; she has overcome so much and made incredible strides in breaking free. Hell, she changed the law! :worship: :)

Apparently Hope Pennington is "Playboy's Miss Social." At least that's what comes up when you google Hope Pennington.

I am too amused by this.

• 3 weeks later...

The dog days of August are rolling by and Texas House Bill 2794 will become law on September 1.

A few details from Texas House Bill 2794:

The person denied a birth certificate can appeal to a probate court or district court either in the county of birth or county of current residence. The inclusion of a federal district court option is significant in that its ruling would likely have more clout related to the issuance of a SS number/passport.

A judge of a statutory probate court or district court may appoint an attorney ad litem... to represent the interests of the person seeking the delayed birth certificate. [Texas Family Law defines an Attorney Ad Litem as “an attorney who provides legal services to a person, including a child, and who owes to the person the duties of undivided loyalty, confidentiality, and competent representation.]

If the person seeking a delayed birth certificate is unable to provide sufficient alternative documentary evidence to acquire a delayed birth certificate, a parent is required to sign an affidavit declaring that indeed they are the parent within 30 days of the request. Failure (or refusal) to do this can result in being charged with a Class A misdemeanor if the child is over the age of 15.

So back to Alecia's last facebook post on June 22:

Governor Greg Abbot signed House Bill 2794 on the 19th! Next step is when it takes effect September 1st.

On June 22, a poster to her facebook said:

I hope your parents are proving to be more compliant? Somehow I don't think they would be very happy with the turn things took. Sad, because they could have saved themselves AND you a lot of trouble and heartache about this whole affair.

Alecia responded that same day:

I agree. I wish it could have worked out differently.

I might be reading this too closely, but no updates or progress reports and the "next step is when it takes effect September 1" just makes me nervous.

I am really hoping, hoping, hoping that her parents father will not put her through a legal challenge to this law. Some of you may recall that James Pennington referred to the law and subsequent penalties for failure to adhere to it as "draconian". To call this man litigious is the understatement of the year. He sued the IRS and won.

The dog days of August are rolling by and Texas House Bill 2794 will become law on September 1.

A few details from Texas House Bill 2794:

The person denied a birth certificate can appeal to a probate court or district court either in the county of birth or county of current residence. The inclusion of a federal district court option is significant in that its ruling would likely have more clout related to the issuance of a SS number/passport.

A judge of a statutory probate court or district court may appoint an attorney ad litem... to represent the interests of the person seeking the delayed birth certificate. [Texas Family Law defines an Attorney Ad Litem as “an attorney who provides legal services to a person, including a child, and who owes to the person the duties of undivided loyalty, confidentiality, and competent representation.]

If the person seeking a delayed birth certificate is unable to provide sufficient alternative documentary evidence to acquire a delayed birth certificate, a parent is required to sign an affidavit declaring that indeed they are the parent within 30 days of the request. Failure (or refusal) to do this can result in being charged with a Class A misdemeanor if the child is over the age of 15.

So back to Alecia's last facebook post on June 22:

On June 22, a poster to her facebook said:

Alecia responded that same day:

I might be reading this too closely, but no updates or progress reports and the "next step is when it takes effect September 1" just makes me nervous.

I am really hoping, hoping, hoping that her parents father will not put her through a legal challenge to this law. Some of you may recall that James Pennington referred to the law and subsequent penalties for failure to adhere to it as "draconian". To call this man litigious is the understatement of the year. He sued the IRS and won.

Yes, but the IRS is so unpopular that the public had no problem writing off his shenanigans. If he sues to keep his daughter from being a legal citizen, he may never recover his public image.

I follow Alecia on Instagram and she seems to be doing great. It looks like she is doing typical teenage fun stuff. I'm guessing there isn't much she can do until the law goes into effect Sept 1. I'm not so sure James Pennington will press on - or it would be wise for him to do so.

I follow Alecia on Instagram and she seems to be doing great. It looks like she is doing typical teenage fun stuff. I'm guessing there isn't much she can do until the law goes into effect Sept 1. I'm not so sure James Pennington will press on - or it would be wise for him to do so.

I also follow her (and she commented back nicely on one of my comments- I had a new nephew who looked just like a baby she was watching) :D She looks happy and cute! Honestly, IF she had escaped because she was some form of LGBT, and I were single, I'd be drooling over her. (After all I'm not too terribly older than she is! :embarrassed: And she wears shorts and normal t-shirts now too. I think she is doing a lot of babysitting, etc. to earn money of her own.

Archived