IGNORED

Faith Pennington "Help Me Prove It" updates

Marian the Librarian

What is chilling is the fact that these girls can get married in a religious type service, have a few children, and then be so completely stuck. It would be a terrifying situation. What help can you get if you don't exist? Any husband can have total power and tell her God knows what.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been thinking more about the possibility of an adult child calling 911 and saying that s/he is being held against her/his will.

Aside from the very real possibility that the parents would lie, I don't see how this is even a psychological possibility for an adult child living in that home who has no idea what sorts of options exist out in the world. That is the nuclear option--doing so would immediately destroy any relationship with the parents, which is not likely to be something wanted by someone who knows no other life and very few other people.

Even Faith's exit was not originally planned to be as permanent as it has turned out to be. In one of her comments on the FB page, she says that she originally envisioned being gone for a week while she considered her options. Losing her relationship with her parents was not part of her plan. I would also suggest that Faith has an admirable inner steel core that is unusual in anyone, let alone someone raised as she was.

And realistically, even if the police were to enforce an exit from the home, where would the adult child go? Anyone they knew in the community would necessarily be a friend of the parents and would either refuse to shelter the escapee or would pop them right back to their parents.

The more I read about the Pennington parents and what they have done to their children, the more I think they belong in jail (along with the Maxwell parents and many others) for unlawfully depriving their adult children of their constitutional rights.

Faith is truly one of a kind. She is a strong, strong woman. I was tempted to say girl, because she is young, but she is young in age only. She has incredible insight and analytical skills for her age. For someone twice her age, even.

I don't think I would ever have the strength to do what she has done. I stand in awe.

The interview at the statehouse was the first time I have heard James Pennington speak. I was shocked by how cold his tone was. He's the kind of man you cross the street so you don't have to walk near, because every intuitive fiber in your being tells you he's bad news and you need to stay away from him.

Well, yes, and the only reason he would have been there was to testify AGAINST a law that would grant a child legal right to proof of his or her own identity, including his daughter. His comment was that he thought the law was "draconian."

Draconian: (of laws or their application) excessively harsh, severe, cruel

In James' world of raw, masculine power, anything that reduces absolute control of the father over his children is excessive. Ironic, isn't it? He is definitely a nasty piece of work.

On the other hand, it is wonderful that the grandparents are so loving and supportive to Faith and are standing by her and supporting her through this entire ordeal.

I'm sure Lisa was unhinged when Faith left, partly because Faith's leaving left a big hole in the family routine, since Faith did the cooking and menu planning -- not a small thing for a family of 11.

Edited to add that at that hearing, Faith really was speaking truth to power, since it is likely that she was there at the same time as her father. She is poised and grounded. You go, girl!

Good grief, these parents are so weird.

Lisa strikes me as someone who will carry on about her "hurt" and her "pain" publicly to anyone and everyone for the rest of her life, thereby shaming her daughter Tonya Ferguson style. She's also probably convinced that if she does it enough it will either cause her daughter to come back to her rightful place within the family or failing that, punish her because she deserves it. Either way she gets attention and sympathy, no loss for her. Permanent damage to this relationship doesn't seem to be on the radar at all.

Faith is an amazingly strong person. I cannot wrap my arms around a young adult living in such a controlling, stifling, paranoid family situation like this.

The more I read about the Pennington parents and what they have done to their children, the more I think they belong in jail (along with the Maxwell parents and many others) for unlawfully depriving their adult children of their constitutional rights.

Agreed that it is unlawfully depriving the children unfortunately this type of abuse won't always be seen as wrong. It doesn't fall in a definite category such as physical, verbal, sexual which are obvious. So much of it will be seen as loving parents concerned for their children, maybe over the top but not something as wrong. I remember when I was in the process of separating from my parents and their control, so many people wrote it off as "looking out for me" including the boyfriend who wanted to marry me. This was someone who should have been just as concerned about it because of the potential it had to impact his life but even he couldn't fathom that seemingly good parents (and they were for the most part just couldn't navigate the change from being parents of children to parents of adults which is where things went awry) could be wrong in this respect.

It isn't her hair, or her face, or her make-up, or her clothes... it's the unctuous narcissism that can't help but seep through, even in just a picture. :ew: If she weren't so--Lisa-- she would be perfectly fine looks/style-wise.

That's really true.

While her style isn't really something I would wear, some of what she does (like the Minnie Mouse "ears") is creative - and my style is kinda *interesting* at times too.

The reason I think what she wears, what she does with her hair, etc. is so disgusting is because SHE IS.

That's really true.

While her style isn't really something I would wear, some of what she does (like the Minnie Mouse "ears") is creative - and my style is kinda *interesting* at times too.

The reason I think what she wears, what she does with her hair, etc. is so disgusting is because SHE IS.

To the bolded, agree and Jill Rodriguez falls into the same category for me. No quibble with how either Lisa or Jill dress, it's that screaming narcissism in both of them and the minute I see anything from them, not matter how it's worded, it just rubs me the wrong way.

Ok, Preachy alert, skip if your are not in the mood;

I think it would be awesome if we could keep this thread focused on Faith, and her journey. I don't know if she still reads here or not, but it would be great if we had a place where she could read some supportive comments. Not everything as to be about Lisa or her husband. In fact, we are feeding into the narcissism, if we always turn this thread into Lisa centric thread.

Faith is a brave and bright young woman. She is hopefully finding lots of support in person, but still, if she comes here, I hope she finds our support helpful to her, especially if she is having a rough time. I would like to think that if she has the chance, she could direct other kids in similar situations to a place like FJ where they could find encouragement or help.

When we snark on Lisa, I think we need to realize that Lisa is still Faith's mom. Even if they are estranged now, and even if Faith agrees with what is said, she is still her mom and it might cause her pain to read these comments. We have another thread on Lisa and Pennington Point. Can't we just keep our snark there. If Faith wants to, she could go there to read it, or she could just stay away from it and know that she can come in here for support and encouragement, etc.

Ok, Preachy alert, skip if your are not in the mood;

I think it would be awesome if we could keep this thread focused on Faith, and her journey. I don't know if she still reads here or not, but it would be great if we had a place where she could read some supportive comments. Not everything as to be about Lisa or her husband. In fact, we are feeding into the narcissism, if we always turn this thread into Lisa centric thread.

Faith is a brave and bright young woman. She is hopefully finding lots of support in person, but still, if she comes here, I hope she finds our support helpful to her, especially if she is having a rough time. I would like to think that if she has the chance, she could direct other kids in similar situations to a place like FJ where they could find encouragement or help.

When we snark on Lisa, I think we need to realize that Lisa is still Faith's mom. Even if they are estranged now, and even if Faith agrees with what is said, she is still her mom and it might cause her pain to read these comments. We have another thread on Lisa and Pennington Point. Can't we just keep our snark there. If Faith wants to, she could go there to read it, or she could just stay away from it and know that she can come in here for support and encouragement, etc.

Even if this doesn't happen, I appreciate you for lookin' out for others. The world could use more people who make that a priority.

This thread is already polluted with Lisa-talk. We could start a separate thread aimed specifically at sending words of encouragement to her... (e.g. ALECIA FAITH-- READ HERE) Also, she seems to be going by Alecia or Alecia Faith now... should we be respecting that, too? No snark.)

Question:

Would Erica Shupe act in a similar manner if one of her children did what Faith did?

Faith is truly one of a kind. She is a strong, strong woman. I was tempted to say girl, because she is young, but she is young in age only. She has incredible insight and analytical skills for her age. For someone twice her age, even.

I don't think I would ever have the strength to do what she has done. I stand in awe.

The only situation I can recall that even comes close to this was when Hans Friedrich, son of infamous Prairie Muffin Carmon, "ran away" as soon as he gained legal majority. And while Hans was very brave to do what he did, he was in a far better position because A.) he had his identity papers and very marketable computer skills, and B.) he was male.

Yes, I think we should respect her wish for her name, identity, etc. Lord knows she has earned the right to call and identify herself however she chooses.

My biggest hope for her right now, other than the legal issues, is that she has some very wise and understanding people in her life. I hope she can find a way to support herself, and eventually will have the means to get more education. She seems very bright and it would be lovely if she has a chance to study what interests her. I also hope, that if she wants it, she is able to maintain a relationship with her family, especially her siblings. Even if they don't understand or seem to support her, she probably understands more than we can, the pressure they are under to follow their Mom and Dad's lead. Hopefully she and her siblings will mend and strengthen their relationships so they can be a lifelong companion and support for one another. I also hope that in some way, she can continue to have a relationship with her parents eventually. Not because I think they are deserving, but because if they can at least get to the point where they can communicate in a civil way, without drama, it will make things easier for the other sibs. Especially at weddings, funerals, family reunions, etc.

I pray that Lisa and her husband will gain insight. If one or two more kids leave, it might eventually get through to them.

Yes, I think we should respect her wish for her name, identity, etc. Lord knows she has earned the right to call and identify herself however she chooses.

My biggest hope for her right now, other than the legal issues, is that she has some very wise and understanding people in her life. I hope she can find a way to support herself, and eventually will have the means to get more education. She seems very bright and it would be lovely if she has a chance to study what interests her. I also hope, that if she wants it, she is able to maintain a relationship with her family, especially her siblings. Even if they don't understand or seem to support her, she probably understands more than we can, the pressure they are under to follow their Mom and Dad's lead. Hopefully she and her siblings will mend and strengthen their relationships so they can be a lifelong companion and support for one another. I also hope that in some way, she can continue to have a relationship with her parents eventually. Not because I think they are deserving, but because if they can at least get to the point where they can communicate in a civil way, without drama, it will make things easier for the other sibs. Especially at weddings, funerals, family reunions, etc.

I pray that Lisa and her husband will gain insight. If one or two more kids leave, it might eventually get through to them.

That would be negative. See Jeub, Chris and Wendy.

Texas HB 2794 was discussed in committee on April 21 - here's a link to the video (start time 3:59, end time 4:29). Faith, her maternal grandmother Lee Southworth, and her maternal aunt Jenni Southworth Elenniss, all testified. It's worth a listen.

tlchouse.granicus.com/MediaPlayer.php?view_id=37&clip_id=10819

Faith is awesome, and I'm soooo glad she has the support of her grandmother and her aunt!

Texas HB 2794 was discussed in committee on April 21 - here's a link to the video (start time 3:59, end time 4:29). Faith, her maternal grandmother Lee Southworth, and her maternal aunt Jenni Southworth Elenniss, all testified. It's worth a listen.

Faith is awesome, and I'm soooo glad she has the support of her grandmother and her aunt!

The shock of the committee members of her situation is very reassuring. They seamed like they really will try their best to do something about all of it. :clap: to the Grandma and the Aunt.

That would be negative. See Jeub, Chris and Wendy.

I can see it going either way if any more kids leave the Pennington household. Either Lisa and her husband will get it or they will react the same way as they did with Faith and cling even more to the ones still left at home. I have no doubt that Lisa has circled the wagons following Faith's departure. Given the extreme control, my money is that they will have kids at home for a very long time.

As far as siblings, right now all are dependents, financially if not legally, in the family home. And it appears that none of them are allowed to have contact much less a relationship with their sister but that situation can possibly change. I think Faith understands their position and will keep the door open to any relationship with them in the future.

As far as Faith having a restored relationship with her parents, that would be nice but even after this issue with documentation is resolved, if Lisa carries on about her pain as she has, it's continuing the hurt on both sides and with that going on, I don't think it's possible or really healthy for Faith to have a relationship with them. She can still love them as her parents but recognize that for her own well being, she can't have a relationship with them as long as they see her as the "bad daughter" who left the family.

Times eleventy, MtL, I can't imagine what someone in her situation would do without the loving support and resources of relatives or family friends as a life line. Alicia Faith's extended family looks to be grounded, educated and quite sane, as well as kind and loving. She is indeed fortunate to have them in her life and I think they are equally fortunate to have her as a grand daughter/niece.

I'm sure Lisa was unhinged when Faith left, partly because Faith's leaving left a big hole in the family routine, since Faith did the cooking and menu planning -- not a small thing for a family of 11.

Now that you've mentioned that, it sheds new light on why Faith's elder sister (forgot her name) was so vicious on Facebook. The work Faith used to do fell on somebody's shoulders--somebody female, who could do it competently--but those shoulders sure as hell weren't going to be Lisa's.

And somewhere in her posts against Faith, that same sister claimed she was thinking about applying for jobs (as a way of making her parents seem better--and Faith worse--than they were). At the time, I knew that claim was bogus, but it's sad now that we know how trapped she actually is--if she found and took a job outside the home, she'd be kicked out, and treated just as Faith has been by parents who believe they can do no wrong.

What a mess.

Now that you've mentioned that, it sheds new light on why Faith's elder sister (forgot her name) was so vicious on Facebook. The work Faith used to do fell on somebody's shoulders--somebody female, who could do it competently--but those shoulders sure as hell weren't going to be Lisa's.

And somewhere in her posts against Faith, that same sister claimed she was thinking about applying for jobs (as a way of making her parents seem better--and Faith worse--than they were). At the time, I knew that claim was bogus, but it's sad now that we know how trapped she actually is--if she found and took a job outside the home, she'd be kicked out, and treated just as Faith has been by parents who believe they can do no wrong.

What a mess.

That sister was Grace, I think. And yes, she was pretty vicious.

Sad thing is, all Graces big talk about applying for jobs just showed how wrong things are in that home because Grace, IIRC, is about 24-25. Most girls that age are either working after college, or have been working for a few years. Part-time or full-time depending upon their circumstances and whether or not they are still studying or started late, but it's rare for a girl that age to be just starting (or talking about starting) to spread their wings.

In her efforts to make her parents look wonderful, Grace has shown people that things are indeed as restrictive as Alecia says, and that the girls are not encouraged to strike out on their own.

What a mess.

At 23, I had three degrees and was working in my chosen profession in a foreign country halfway around the world. The Pennington adult children's restricted idea of the world makes me weep.

Archived