IGNORED

Get your FFRREEEEE Moody book......

Justme

OT: I wonder how the Maxwell chidults would react if, after asking a person whether s/he was "saved," that person said, "Oh, honey--I'm a [Catholic, Jew, UU, whatever] and my religion doesn't believe in that."

"The only True Church is My Church"

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, the post everyone has all been waiting for: Trynn tries The Moody's Recipe!

I actually made 3 different versions of this.

Version 1

1 can of black beans (I was out of chilli beans)

1 small can tomato sauce

some vegetarian griller crumbles, not morning star but can't remember the brand. they come in a white bag, if that helps.

Onions

green peppers

Tomatoes

(I didn't add chilli peppers because when I eat capsaicin containing fruit my throat closes up.)

Provolone cheese cut into cubes and melted in a pan on the stove with everything.

This version was good, but I felt it was just alright.

Version 2

The somewhat healthier version

1 can Amy's chilli, mild, no veggies

2 slices cheddar cheese cut into cubes

2 slices provolone cheese cut up into cubes

melt in pan on stove. This was really good, but then I felt I should go authentic and try the exact recipe out of the book. Except that I'm only one person, not 8, so I cut the recipe in half because I did not want pounds and pounds of crap if I hated it.

I used:

1. Velveeta cheese, cut into cubes.

2. 1 can Hormel chilli, vegetarian, with beans.

The Maxwells didn't say what chilli to use, but the cans in the picture are Hormel, so that was the brand I use and am about to sample the result as I write this.

Hmm... what to say...

I think the velveeta cheese has a very strong flavor... not a sharp one, just like... instead of just saying, "hello, my name is cheese and these are my friends, the beans and chilli" the cheese is saying I AM HERE, PAY NO ATTENTION TO THESE BEANS!

YMMV on this one, if you like Velveeta. I... well, it's edible, but... I'm never going to make it again. Except I may use Hormel chilli in the future if I don't have Amy's because this stuff without the cheese is pretty good.

Side note: in the book this dip and chips are treated like a meal. Um, no way in hades. I am also having a side salad and cauliflower.

I now have an urge to read all the Moody books to review recipes and write more Maude stories.... Sarah said Mrs. Bagwell gets saved in one of the books... that could be fun to write... he... he... he....

Trynn, I am laughing at my desk like an idiot because of your review. There is nothing in my job that could possibly be so funny, so this probably looks very suspicious.

I thank you for trying the recipe. I actually really like Velveeta cheese (fake cheese is my idol), and I would totally try this recipe and eat all 8 servings of it if I hadn't decided that my goal in life is to wear crop tops this summer.

One of my family members loves velveeta, so every new year's eve, the velveeta and rotel are broken out for the tortilla chips. It's not bad. I'd rather have queso, though.

And thanks for the post, Trynn. I'm always fascinated when people here make fundies' recipes. The Maxwell bean burrito cook-off had me positively glued to my seat. :lol:

OT: I wonder how the Maxwell chidults would react if, after asking a person whether s/he was "saved," that person said, "Oh, honey--I'm a [Catholic, Jew, UU, whatever] and my religion doesn't believe in that."

Oh, honey. Get with the program. All religions other than the Church of Stevehovah are verboten. They would ask you to take the "Good Person Test." A set up for failure for everybody.

I have big problems with the Good Person Test. Apparently I am condemned to hell fire because I look upon my (legally and religiously, although I am now an atheist and he is now agnostic) husband with lust. And without the possibility of procreating post-menopause.

I will burn in the fires of Hell for Eternity !!!!!!eleventy!!!!!!!

I'm glad I made you laugh :) That makes me feel better.

I actually decided to combine the glop with the salad and chips to make a haystack. It's a thing Seventh Day Adventists do that's kinda like a taco salad; beans, cornchips, tomatoes/lettuce/onions/whatever. It tasted slightly better that way but dear Lord..... that is not happening again....

I feel kinda nauseous.

I'm glad I made you laugh :) That makes me feel better.

I actually decided to combine the glop with the salad and chips to make a haystack. It's a thing Seventh Day Adventists do that's kinda like a taco salad; beans, cornchips, tomatoes/lettuce/onions/whatever. It tasted slightly better that way but dear Lord..... that is not happening again....

I feel kinda nauseous.

Did you use Fritos?

I <3 Haystacks. Yummy.

I usually mix fritos with regular cornchips, but this time I only had blue chips lying around the house. Haystacks usually taste good, but that particular glop was barely tolerable.

3 cups of mint tea later (real mint,as I have no idea if you can even make tea out of the other plants and I'm not sure I'd be willing to try it myself if you could) my stomach has settled back down.

Kids, unless Velveeta is your thing, do not try this at home.

Velveeta was my cheese of choice as a child, but then I moved into a larger culinary world. However , I still use Velveeta (when I have it) in mac/cheese to make a smooth cheese roux. I can see doing the same with the haystack.....just not ALL Velveeta!!!

I think the velveeta cheese has a very strong flavor... not a sharp one, just like... instead of just saying, "hello, my name is cheese and these are my friends, the beans and chilli" the cheese is saying I AM HERE, PAY NO ATTENTION TO THESE BEANS!

:lol:

Others have mentioned how funny it is that they use so much junky food in the book.

But the Velveeta Dip also goes to how long ago they were active in the world in any meaningful way. Velveeta and Rotel or canned chili was very common in the 80s, less so in the Early 90s when Steve was learning to write those inane Mission Statements. I think some of the family's fashion choices may also reflect the late80s/90s (I sold quite a few long denim skirts in the mid 80s and the denim shirt seemed to peak about 95, in my memory)

Yes, Velveeta is a food from my past. I used to make a hot dip with spicy sausage and Velveeta and at one time I used it a lot in cheese soups. But once you start eating real cheese it is hard to go back. I know what you mean about the superior melting qualities but I find that real cheese plus cream cheese does the trick. One of my favorite winter soups is broccoli/bacon/cheese put through the blender. It's so much better made with sharp cheddar.

I just noticed that Tilaundia Buckingham (Hale) is listed as illustrator for one of the books. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the Maxwells and the Buckingham/Hales are what some would call "friends."

Two things

1. Trynn, can you get the rights to the Moody book empire? I would gladly read your version of Maxhells a.k.a. Moodyland.

2. Because I have a curiosity of the world (and therefore am on FJ) I went to peek at the trainwreck of a literary nature penned by Sarah Maxwell. Now Amazon has it on all their ads that pop up on my pages. Some adbot thinks I want to BUY this collection of poorly put words, and worse, is basing other suggestions off of this one viewing. :angry-banghead:

I keep getting emails from Amazon asking if I want to write a review. I do, just to contradict the 20 people giving this 5 stars which must come from people who have never read a good children's book in their entire lives or just doing it because it is a good christian book.

Two things

1. Trynn, can you get the rights to the Moody book empire? I would gladly read your version of Maxhells a.k.a. Moodyland.

2. Because I have a curiosity of the world (and therefore am on FJ) I went to peek at the trainwreck of a literary nature penned by Sarah Maxwell. Now Amazon has it on all their ads that pop up on my pages. Some adbot thinks I want to BUY this collection of poorly put words, and worse, is basing other suggestions off of this one viewing. :angry-banghead:

I don't know if it works for ads as well, but if you go to the Amazon "suggested for you" page you can remove books from the list that they use to find similar items.

Now I'm kind of curious to see how closely the suggestion engine and their ad engine are meshed...

Probably not enough to download a Moody book through.

A Brit here laughing hard at the Velveeta explanation, Trynn. I often wonder what these Maxwell-approved processed foods must taste like. :D

I recently was offered a free 30 day trial to Amazon Prime and Kindle Unlimited and am binge reading as many Maxbooks as I can borrow. I cant read the Moodys without tears streaming, after already reading the parodies here. :lol:

I am on Teris Sweet Journey today.... even in her book to adults she uses emotional blackmail to engage the reader. I am encouraged to MAKE myself complete the bible studies by imagining how DISAPPOINTED Teri would be in me, if I were to have to sit in front of her before the next chapter, having not done my homework.

I bet the Moody (er, Maxwell) kids were relieved rather than sad at the amount of time their mom spent in her room while they were growing up. Its all about fear, blame and shame on the sweet journey of faith. :angry-banghead:

A Brit here laughing hard at the Velveeta explanation, Trynn. I often wonder what these Maxwell-approved processed foods must taste like. :D

I recently was offered a free 30 day trial to Amazon Prime and Kindle Unlimited and am binge reading as many Maxbooks as I can borrow. I cant read the Moodys without tears streaming, after already reading the parodies here. :lol:

I am on Teris Sweet Journey today.... even in her book to adults she uses emotional blackmail to engage the reader. I am encouraged to MAKE myself complete the bible studies by imagining how DISAPPOINTED Teri would be in me, if I were to have to sit in front of her before the next chapter, having not done my homework.

I bet the Moody (er, Maxwell) kids were relieved rather than sad at the amount of time their mom spent in her room while they were growing up. Its all about fear, blame and shame on the sweet journey of faith. :angry-banghead:

Out of curiosity, is the mother as absent in other Moody books as she is in this one? I think I can only remember her interacting with her kids like 4 times in the whole first book, and one of those was her purposely half-assing a game of hide and go seek. In the first one she always seemed to be up in her room resting or having private bible time (even missing family bible time.

Im only on book one. I dont think all the books are Unlimited. Didnt I read somewhere the maxwells dont like libraries? They probably only allow a taste of each author to be "given away" by Amazon. Or maybe it is because I am on amazon Uk?

I have Sweet Journey, Moody1 and Meek Spirit so far.

Velveeta was my cheese of choice as a child, but then I moved into a larger culinary world. However , I still use Velveeta (when I have it) in mac/cheese to make a smooth cheese roux. I can see doing the same with the haystack.....just not ALL Velveeta!!!

OT

Last week I caught my four year old hiding in the pantry and devouring an entire block of Velveeta. His grandma brings it over, I refuse to buy it. He is a sensory seeker and loves salty things. I have no clue how he didn't get sick. :ew:

I finished it! Reading this book felt like some sort of a punishment. I can't imagine inflicting it on children.

I finished it! Reading this book felt like some sort of a punishment. I can't imagine inflicting it on children.

I know! I felt I deserved a reward for making it through.

I know! I felt I deserved a reward for making it through.

I think that Steve should give us at least a little gold star sticker for reading one of the Moody books.

You made an idol of it by writing about it without approval. Now you can copy out the bible in your own words as a lesson.

Archived