IGNORED

Get your FFRREEEEE Moody book......

Justme

I think that Steve should give us at least a little gold star sticker for reading one of the Moody books.

I may need to propose a new user title: Read a whole Moody Book!

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that Steve should give us at least a little gold star sticker for reading one of the Moody books.

He should at least give you two animal crackers! :wink-kitty:

Two things

1. Trynn, can you get the rights to the Moody book empire? I would gladly read your version of Maxhells a.k.a. Moodyland.

2. Because I have a curiosity of the world (and therefore am on FJ) I went to peek at the trainwreck of a literary nature penned by Sarah Maxwell. Now Amazon has it on all their ads that pop up on my pages. Some adbot thinks I want to BUY this collection of poorly put words, and worse, is basing other suggestions off of this one viewing. :angry-banghead:

I had a similar thing happen here--I went to Magnolia Pearl, that bastion of over-priced, hideous shabby chic, because it was referenced on a Lisa Pennington thread, and their ad was in the margin here for at least a month.....

This book is the worst thing I have ever seen and I love children literature. We need to send her Carolyn Haywood's books, B is for Betsy etc. The books don't flow. The grammar is odd.

Steve needs to let her read Laura Ingalls Wilder Farmer's Boy, another tame well written book as well. Sarah needs to better understand story development for a young reader. What she has going on is so freakin' weird I don't know where to begin...

What is with that putting the bible into their own words, chapter by chapter, senior project thing? Talk about boring busywork. And from their schedules it seems like that's the only 12th grade work they do. Nice home educating, Teri.

Sarah once started to read Little House in the Big Woods as a child, Tatar-tot, but Teri made her stop because the book contained pagan lies like Santa Claus, Jack Frost, and five year old Laura crying that she hates Sundays because she has to sit in a chair and not move all day. Steve and Teri didn't want their children to learn that it was an option to dislike Sunday. They had a whole blog post about it.

What is with that putting the bible into their own words, chapter by chapter, senior project thing? Talk about boring busywork. And from their schedules it seems like that's the only 12th grade work they do. Nice home educating, Teri.

Sarah once started to read Little House in the Big Woods as a child, Tatar-tot, but Teri made her stop because the book contained pagan lies like Santa Claus, Jack Frost, and five year old Laura crying that she hates Sundays because she has to sit in a chair and not move all day. Steve and Teri didn't want their children to learn that it was an option to dislike Sunday. They had a whole blog post about it.

You have got to be joking...Teri is :cray-cray: For some one who actually managed to get a college degree how the h*ll did she fall this far down the rabbit hole???

This book is the worst thing I have ever seen and I love children literature. We need to send her Carolyn Haywood's books, B is for Betsy etc. The books don't flow. The grammar is odd.

Steve needs to let her read Laura Ingalls Wilder Farmer's Boy, another tame well written book as well. Sarah needs to better understand story development for a young reader. What she has going on is so freakin' weird I don't know where to begin...

Farmers Boy is out cuz Almanzo got into a fight with a cousin on Christmas Day. Also the kids were left home alone for a week and Almanzo threw a brush dripping with black polish at Eliza Jane and hit the wall staining the wallpaper, although EJ was being a smart ass to him. There's also violence too as the teacher horsewhips the big boys at school.

Farmers Boy is out cuz Almanzo got into a fight with a cousin on Christmas Day. Also the kids were left home alone for a week and Almanzo threw a brush dripping with black polish at Eliza Jane and hit the wall staining the wallpaper, although EJ was being a smart ass to him. There's also violence too as the teacher horsewhips the big boys at school.

I figured they would love the horse whipping...It seemed right up Steve's alley!

I asked Steve in a comment why wasn't Sarah replying to the comments since she was the author of the books? Was it because he wanted her sheltered from the negative comments that were appearing. She is an adult and should be exposed to the bad and good.

No reply.

Steve you are a big horses ass. :nenner: :penguin-no:

I asked Steve in a comment why wasn't Sarah replying to the comments since she was the author of the books? Was it because he wanted her sheltered from the negative comments that were appearing. She is an adult and should be exposed to the bad and good.

No reply.

Steve you are a big horses ass. :nenner: :penguin-no:

No, just a straight up ASS...a horses ass would be an upgrade.

He should at least give you two animal crackers! :wink-kitty:

No, I anyone who gets through it deserves a whole bag, of the kind with frosting and sprinkles on top.

I know! I felt I deserved a reward for making it through.

You are both stronger than me. I'd rather clean up the litter box and a hairball than try to get thru a Moody book.

No, I anyone who gets through it deserves a whole bag, of the kind with frosting and sprinkles on top.

You can savor them during the next anti-fast!

I tried to get through this book but it's just depressing. Every page is a (boring!) reminder that for all Fundies talk about every child being a blessing, I honestly don't think they like kids very much.

Also, I wouldn't let the Moodys care for a grapefruit, much less my pets. The last thing I need is to return from vacation to discover that my cat has memorized several chapters of scripture and my dog keeps asking me where I'm going when I die.

Not only did I finish the horrible thing but I left a very thoughtful review on Amazon. I wish some more FJers would leave reviews because the 5 star reviews keep rolling in and I don't want any of the unsuspecting public to think this is a suitable book for a child.

I keep trying to write a review (not only because Amazon's always nudging me) but it's almost impossible for me to be objective and balanced and I don't want to just slam the thing.

It did occur to me that the reason Mrs. Moody is such a non-person is because she's in the early stages of pregnancy. It would seem logical, no? And it would certainly explain the headaches, various bodily upsets and fatigue. In a normal book with a normal author that would all be tied in nicely at the end but this important bit of information, like so many others in this mess of a book, is just left unresolved because Sarah doesn't know fuck-all about how to tell a good story.

It's interesting, too, that so many readers have the impression that the Moodys (and I keep writing Maxwells, which is very telling…) have never owned a pet before. But, IIRC, they DID own a pet—another dog, I think. This is barely mentioned in passing, even though it could have an impact on the story. I'll try to find that passage later if I don't decide to poke my eyes out with a pencil instead.

I keep trying to write a review (not only because Amazon's always nudging me) but it's almost impossible for me to be objective and balanced and I don't want to just slam the thing.

It did occur to me that the reason Mrs. Moody is such a non-person is because she's in the early stages of pregnancy. It would seem logical, no? And it would certainly explain the headaches, various bodily upsets and fatigue. In a normal book with a normal author that would all be tied in nicely at the end but this important bit of information, like so many others in this mess of a book, is just left unresolved because Sarah doesn't know fuck-all about how to tell a good story.

It's interesting, too, that so many readers have the impression that the Moodys (and I keep writing Maxwells, which is very telling…) have never owned a pet before. But, IIRC, they DID own a pet—another dog, I think. This is barely mentioned in passing, even though it could have an impact on the story. I'll try to find that passage later if I don't decide to poke my eyes out with a pencil instead.

Don't do that!

The Moody children didn't have a dog in the first book. The whole point of the pet sitting business experimenting on other people's pets was to prove they were responsible enough to own their own dog.

The Maxwell children owned Honey, who is featured in book 1 as herself - the dog they take for walks and feed. Which is not pet sitting as I know it.

So the Moody puppy in book 2 (who is also modeled on Honey) has to have a name change. Sarah calls her Maple.

I need to get my review up on Amazon too.

Good spot!

In chapter 1 the kids first ask for a dog and the dad talks to them about what that would entail.

If you would like a dog, Mom and I want to make sure you will be responsible and diligent to care for its needs. Dogs require a lot of work...

But later it says:

Max snapped the leash on Honey’s collar. They had found an old leash in the basement from a dog they had had years ago. Dad said they could buy a new leash next time they went to the store, but in the meantime, this would do.

Don't do that!

The Moody children didn't have a dog in the first book. The whole point of the pet sitting business experimenting on other people's pets was to prove they were responsible enough to own their own dog.

The Maxwell children owned Honey, who is featured in book 1 as herself - the dog they take for walks and feed. Which is not pet sitting as I know it.

So the Moody puppy in book 2 (who is also modeled on Honey) has to have a name change. Sarah calls her Maple.

I need to get my review up on Amazon too.

Maple. Christ. Even the dog gets an M-name.

Good spot!

In chapter 1 the kids first ask for a dog and the dad talks to them about what that would entail.

But later it says:

Very good spot. I stand corrected! Years ago before kids, perhaps?

Very good spot. I stand corrected! Years ago before kids, perhaps?

I was just about to post that! The old girl's memory is still hanging in there… It's such a throwaway line but I remember that when I first read it, I wondered why the pet sitting business as a test of responsibility was such a big honkin' deal if they'd had a dog before. I guess we'll never know WHEN they had the dog though, since Sarah just dropped it in out of nowhere and it was never mentioned again. Of course, I couldn't wonder about this for too long since a couple of paragraphs down I got distracted trying to figure out what the hell a "doie" was.

Screw the animal crackers! I want chocolate cake!!

I wondered that too, but as you say, it shouldn't be left to the reader to infer that is why Mrs. Moody is hardly ever present.

Speaking of that, a question for anyone who has read any of the other Moody books: Is Mrs. Moody more present in those books? Is it because she is preggers in book #1 that she is off in her room so much?

I tried to get through this book but it's just depressing. Every page is a (boring!) reminder that for all Fundies talk about every child being a blessing, I honestly don't think they like kids very much.

Also, I wouldn't let the Moodys care for a grapefruit, much less my pets. The last thing I need is to return from vacation to discover that my cat has memorized several chapters of scripture and my dog keeps asking me where I'm going when I die.

Don't knock it till you've tried it. Your cat may have mopped the garage while you were gone, and your dog would have cleaned the entire kitchen and blessed the neighbours as well.

Archived